COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

this post got me looking at the current cdc guidelines, Jesus. What a clusterfuck especially if you look them up on mobile.

Sorry if that was too cr, but to keep this austin related, assuming guidelines there are nonexistent as long as hospital rates are low? Heading back to ATX in June so not sure what to expect. Will I get weird looks for wearing a mask at H‑E‑B? I don’t wear one at bars here but for some reason around the olds, the snot rocket kids, people mindlessly staring at produce, and generally “preservative” design of supermarkets, I always wear one there. Not sayin I have to wear one but just curious about general feelings in the Austin area. 

No matter where in Austin, it's about 5% mask use at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, achooloco said:

this post got me looking at the current cdc guidelines, Jesus. What a clusterfuck especially if you look them up on mobile.

Sorry if that was too cr, but to keep this austin related, assuming guidelines there are nonexistent as long as hospital rates are low? Heading back to ATX in June so not sure what to expect. Will I get weird looks for wearing a mask at H‑E‑B? I don’t wear one at bars here but for some reason around the olds, the snot rocket kids, people mindlessly staring at produce, and generally “preservative” design of supermarkets, I always wear one there. Not sayin I have to wear one but just curious about general feelings in the Austin area. 

If you think bars are safe enough to not wear them then the grocery stores shouldn’t bother you. Quite a bit of tracing data from the begging that showed the grocery store wasn’t where people were catching it. If you want to wear one, wear it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Yup, it’s confusing as shit and seems to change weekly, but technically since Dad is past day 5 and hasn’t had fever he should be good to go. Just should wear a mask in public thru day 10. And that’s why I’ve told him just to stop testing. Fuck whatever his wife has to say. He really needs to get back to Austin to take care of an office move and a house issue before he goes to Europe next month.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To be fair, I did find a blog post that said “trooper” has overtaken “trouper” in texts as the most common spelling, and that they are basically interchangeable anymore.  And that both troop and troupe have the same etymology. 

…and now I want a fried grouper sandwich but am nowhere near a coast. 

Damn that sounds good. I always knew it as trooper.  Queens English got me again. It is COLOR, not COLOUR..... 

41 minutes ago, Borachio said:

I thought my number had finally been called.   Woke up Sunday with a scratchy throat, then felt more congested as the day went on.  Been pretty congested the last couple of days.  Throat is not sore, mild cough, some sneezing and runny nose.    Got a PCR test Sunday, results came back today, negative for both covid and the flu. 

Guess it's just the good ole common cold. 

Still covid free,  for now. 

We didn’t test positive on PCR the first day.  I didn’t test hot on at-hone until day 3.  Just something to think about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

We didn’t test positive on PCR the first day.  I didn’t test hot on at-hone until day 3.  Just something to think about. 

Thank you.   I'm going to do an in home test Friday morning before my nieces high school graduation on Friday evening just to be sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yup, it’s confusing as shit and seems to change weekly, but technically since Dad is past day 5 and hasn’t had fever he should be good to go. Just should wear a mask in public thru day 10. And that’s why I’ve told him just to stop testing. Fuck whatever his wife has to say. He really needs to get back to Austin to take care of an office move and a house issue before he goes to Europe next month.

Good advice, and in line with CDC guidelines.  He could test positive for three months, but after day ten any virus in his system is nontransmittal.  We've had a couple of years to get this data together, and only very severe cases result in being contagious past day ten of symptoms.   

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To be fair, I did find a blog post that said “trooper” has overtaken “trouper” in texts as the most common spelling, and that they are basically interchangeable anymore.  And that both troop and troupe have the same etymology. 

…and now I want a fried grouper sandwich but am nowhere near a coast. 

Spoke with a Brit friend. He said something interesting. yes, it is trouper, but not when applied in discussion about paratroopers. I guess that is where I got the interpretation. 

Anyways, lets drink beer, eat grouper and toss an aggy into a boot. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Spoke with a Brit friend. He said something interesting. yes, it is trouper, but not when applied in discussion about paratroopers. I guess that is where I got the interpretation. 

Anyways, lets drink beer, eat grouper and toss an aggy into a boot. 

Troupe and troop are two different words. One for a group of soldiers and one for a group of actors. 
the phrase “a real trouper” is originally derived from the acting group. 

it’s not two spellings of the same word. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Good advice, and in line with CDC guidelines.  He could test positive for three months, but after day ten any virus in his system is nontransmittal.  We've had a couple of years to get this data together, and only very severe cases result in being contagious past day ten of symptoms.   

I researched this a bit when we all had it.  The conservative consensus seems to be, no how many days symptom free, if you are still testing positive on a rapid test, you still have enough live virus to transmit it.  Obviously not near as contagious as the early days but still a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I researched this a bit when we all had it.  The conservative consensus seems to be, no how many days symptom free, if you are still testing positive on a rapid test, you still have enough live virus to transmit it.  Obviously not near as contagious as the early days but still a chance.

Does the rapid test only respond to intact virus?  Or will it respond to fragments of dead virus in your system, like the wastewater testing does?

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Troupe and troop are two different words. One for a group of soldiers and one for a group of actors. 
the phrase “a real trouper” is originally derived from the acting group. 

it’s not two spellings of the same word. 

I know, just messing around. Can we still drink beer and toss and aggy into a boot? 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does the rapid test only respond to intact virus?  Or will it respond to fragments of dead virus in your system, like the wastewater testing does?

Michael Mina on twitter was where I was seeing the info.  I don't remember exactly but believe rapid responds to live.  I think it's the PCR that can still detect dead virus for a long time.

Went to NYC on May 14th for son's college graduation on May 16th.  Fully vaxed, one booster.  Everything went fine in NYC - lots more mask wearing there than in Austin for sure.  Traveled strictly by Uber there since my mom is too old to deal with the metro.  

About eight people in our traveling party total including son's mom (my ex) and her family.  Everyone got back to ATX on Tuesday May 24th.  Positive tests started popping up the next day, including my son who is still in NYC.  I home tested three days in a row, all negative.  Did CVS drive-thru PCR test on Thursday the 20th - also negative.  Thought I may have dodged a bullet, but didn't make any sense when everyone else was positive. As last Saturday hit, beginning to not feel right.  Yep, home test Saturday confirms.  

Felt like crap all day Saturday and Sunday, but beginning to feel much better now.  I don't get sick very often, and this was definitely annoying.  Fatigue on the weekend was pretty severe, but at least tons of sports on TV to watch/nap to.

YMMV.  Overall, worth it to watch my only child graduate.

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to NYC on May 14th for son's college graduation on May 16th.  Fully vaxed, one booster.  Everything went fine in NYC - lots more mask wearing there than in Austin for sure.  Traveled strictly by Uber there since my mom is too old to deal with the metro.  
About eight people in our traveling party total including son's mom (my ex) and her family.  Everyone got back to ATX on Tuesday May 24th.  Positive tests started popping up the next day, including my son who is still in NYC.  I home tested three days in a row, all negative.  Did CVS drive-thru PCR test on Thursday the 20th - also negative.  Thought I may have dodged a bullet, but didn't make any sense when everyone else was positive. As last Saturday hit, beginning to not feel right.  Yep, home test Saturday confirms.  
Felt like crap all day Saturday and Sunday, but beginning to feel much better now.  I don't get sick very often, and this was definitely annoying.  Fatigue on the weekend was pretty severe, but at least tons of sports on TV to watch/nap to.

Are you a time traveler?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Sorry to hear about what is going to happen tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

My lady friend got it. She was likely exposed last Monday, symptoms started Wed, and she slept all day Thursday, largely better Sat. Same house, but we've been in seperate rooms. I tested negative yesterday, but feel tired as shit. No other symptoms except maybe a low grade fever. I took a nap yesterday after 8hrs of sleep.

Might I just be fighting it off, or is the worst yet to come. This is a weird virus.

15 hours ago, Born to Run said:

My lady friend got it. She was likely exposed last Monday, symptoms started Wed, and she slept all day Thursday, largely better Sat. Same house, but we've been in seperate rooms. I tested negative yesterday, but feel tired as shit. No other symptoms except maybe a low grade fever. I took a nap yesterday after 8hrs of sleep.

Might I just be fighting it off, or is the worst yet to come. This is a weird virus.

Were you laying on the couch watching golf? 

Jim Nance has that effect on people.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, Born to Run said:

Weird is an understatement.  I just tested positive at doctors. Thought I had a bad cold or flu  or something from one of my kids.  Nobody else in family was positive.  Never had the really sore throat or cough.  Had it since earlier in the week so I’m happy it obviously didn’t get worse.  My Texas CARES scores were always maxed on vaccine antibodies.  

Tested negative earlier in week.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 5/24/2022 at 10:57 AM, justhookit said:

She’s a bitch from hell. Always has been and we’ve never gotten along, had a blowup recently to the point where I will never talk to her again. She accused me and my girlfriend of trying to kill him by taking him fishing. And filming that on a drone. Whatever. She hasn’t even tried to contact me while he’s been here. It’s refreshing. My girlfriend keeps joking that Dad is faking positives just so he doesn’t have to go home.

Dad finally tested negative yesterday and went home. That was day 14 of Covid prison. His bitch wife made him test again when he got home. I told him if it was positive he needed to turn around and drive back and never go home again. Unfortunately it was negative. My girlfriend and I never got it (also as far as we know we’ve never had it) but my house is set up in a way that it was really easy to keep him isolated. All we did was leave him food outside the door and occasionally sat outside with him on the back deck, but upwind and at least 10 feet apart.

Covid cases are spiking here in Port A again. Weekly cases went from 0 to 1 to 2 and now 9. They are out of test kits at the CVS. Memorial Day spike is going to be a thing. Thankfully these alll seem to be really mild cases.

• Hook 'Em 1

Round 3 for my family. Delta, Omicron and whatever is going around now.

My son appears to be our vector of choice as he tested positive on Thursday . He was the first positive with Delta.  The rest of us positive yesterday. 

Mild symptoms again for all 5 of us.  Cough, congestion, scratchy throat and a little fatigue….

• Hook 'Em 1

Took my son about 8 days to get over symptoms and he was able to get back to school for the last week of 4th grade.  No one else in the house ever got it.  We isolated him to his room, but my wife and I still went in there multiple times a day to feed him or provide him with some company.   

On 5/29/2022 at 11:37 AM, Samson's Wig said:

Took my son about 8 days to get over symptoms and he was able to get back to school for the last week of 4th grade.  No one else in the house ever got it.  We isolated him to his room, but my wife and I still went in there multiple times a day to feed him or provide him with some company.   

Both of my kids, 12 and 14, have gotten it.  We didn't do anything extra special to isolate them, just didn't let them cough directly on us, and neither my wife nor I ever got it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, atomheartbevo said:

or something from one of my kids.

Nope. Gave it to one or both of them (positive test for one), and the youngest has slightly been through the ringer.  Glad school is out and she didn’t miss the last week. and I am able to stay up with her.  Worse than a cold. Near a bad flu.

Talked to a married couple this weekend, and they both had all the symptoms a few weeks ago. He tested positive, she tested negative, but was she was sure it was just a bad test and that she had COVID. But when she got her antibodies checked recently, they didn’t detect any infection antibodies. 

Weird virus.

Edit: oh, and I’m at ABIA this morning, and less than 10% of the masses are masked.

Edited by South Austin

On 5/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

Proud to join the party here. Pfizer x 2; Moderna x 1.

/csb

Wednesday, I feel a little off, like just not on my A game at work (remote) or making dinner, or whatever. Thursday, I have major congestion, watery eyes but feel fine. Decided to test obviously and it's a bingo. So now everyone is avoiding everyone else. I wake up last night at 3 and my chest is tight so I grab my rescue inhaler that I hadn't used in 9 months, take a few pulls and I can tell it helped. But after my lungs relaxed, awful phlemmy coughing started.

I manage to get a little more sleep and wake up feeling like I got hit by a truck. I've never had the flu in my life but know all the symptoms, and I think I had extreme versions of all of them: horrible aching, freezing and shivering one minute, burning up next, splitting headache, and the cough is somehow worsening. Plus, I realize I need my inhaler again and the O2 sensor. Fuck. I am winded after the 10 foot walk to the medicine drawer and just collapse in a sweaty pile.

Wife is super worried and makes me a virtual appt with doc. It takes about an hour but he took one look at me and said he was prescribing Paxlovid, but made me show him the O2 meter which never really got down close to 90%. Also, never cracked a fever at all. So weird. So today has progressed actually really well. I thought I was DYING this morning for about 5 hours. Had a little lunch, and I'm at least walking around and able to get on the computer a little.

I'll report back on the Pax. Now I'm pretty dizzy, fuck this shit. Oh, and doc did mention that they are seeing cases trending up in a big way the past 2-3 weeks. Not that we don't all know that but he sounded a little worried.

I said it in Oct 2020 in 'The Big Thread', but the cold sweats/convulsions with this deal are some of the weirdest shit I've ever experienced.  97 temp, woke up in a pile of sweat so bad I thought I had pissed the bed.  Changed the sheets, showered laid some blankets down on the bed and went back to sleep only to wake up 2 hours later with the same deal.  Took me almost 4 gallons of fluid the next day to have Championship Level Hydration.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I said it in Oct 2020 in 'The Big Thread', but the cold sweats/convulsions with this deal are some of the weirdest shit I've ever experienced.  97 temp, woke up in a pile of sweat so bad I thought I had pissed the bed.  Changed the sheets, showered laid some blankets down on the bed and went back to sleep only to wake up 2 hours later with the same deal.  Took me almost 4 gallons of fluid the next day to have Championship Level Hydration.  

I went through the sweats/convulsions/etc. last week and it was weird as fuck.  I was on the couch, and I woke up with the sheets all twisted around and shit, and I took quite a few showers. And I'd wake up every hour or two completely parched, to the point where my wife put a bunch of water bottles next to the couch.

I'll take all of that, versus the really shitty sore throat/couch that friends have had.

Think I might have it.  Started getting a sore throat and nasal congestion last night.  Seems to be getting worse throughout the day and now I've got some fatigue and a chill and everything just feels off.  No cough, but I'm having to clear my throat a lot.  No fever.

Those of you who've had it -- how long did you wait to do a test?  From what I understand, a lot of people test after a day or two and get a false negative because it takes more like 3 to 5 days for the test to detect it.  Sound about right?

30 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Those of you who've had it -- how long did you wait to do a test?  From what I understand, a lot of people test after a day or two and get a false negative because it takes more like 3 to 5 days for the test to detect it.  Sound about right?

I felt off on Wednesday and had major congestion/allergy symptoms Thursday and so decided to test then. My wife was about 7 days into recovery from it though at that point so I pretty much tested as just a formality. YMMV. Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Think I might have it.  Started getting a sore throat and nasal congestion last night.  Seems to be getting worse throughout the day and now I've got some fatigue and a chill and everything just feels off.  No cough, but I'm having to clear my throat a lot.  No fever.

kinda same as above.  Started to feel off on a Wednesday and tested negative wednesday and thursday.  Popped positive on Friday.

On another note, I feel like shit.  Woke up and threw up last night.  I swear to god with all these fn kids I'm not going to be healthy for a got damned decade.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Sounds exactly like my track and symptoms - a whole shit-ton of congestion as well (same with my youngest), worst were mild fevers lasting through the night, fatigue, chills, everything just feeling off/cloudy.  I tested negative after 48 hours of symptoms, tested again two days later when I decided I should think about a doctor's visit and I tested positive with at-home kit.

• Day 1 - first serious symptoms, thought was allergies turning into sinus infection or possible mild cold
  • Day 2 - tested negative, my youngest was around me a few times
  • Day 3 - continued to get worse (mild fever, fatigue, lots more congestion),  my youngest kept coming around
  • Day 4 - seriously worsened over previous night (fever didn't go away, chills, congestion, etc.) , tested positive at-home (PCR later in the day, +), and rest of family tested negative
  • Day 5 - same level symptoms, youngest had mild symptoms (similar to allergies over the previous few weeks)
  • Day 6 - slightly improving, youngest had mild symptoms
  • Day 7 - slightly improving, youngest symptoms increasing
  • Day 8 - slightly improving, youngest went downhill, tested positive

On Day 2/3, when I had tested negative, I thought it was just bad allergies, and when eating my youngest kept coming right up to me.  In hindsight...furk, should have been extremely strict, but I didn't have the torn-up throat/cough that I expected with COVID, and over the past few weeks allergies have been a serious issue in our household (fuck you lack of May rain).

I think I probably would have tested positive the day before I actually did, and my youngest probably would have tested positive the day before they actually did, but after the first round of negative tests, I didn't feel like going out and buying more just so we could test every day.  

I just treated the symptoms and lots of sleep and eventually was fine (boosted at end of December).  Lots of folks I know like that, but have had friends who had to worry about other stuff (including pneumonia).

• Hook 'Em 3

I tested positive Monday and wife tested positive this afternoon even though we were trying to quarantine. Now that we're both positive is there any point to sleeping separately and trying to keep our distance?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Welp. I just got my first infection. Vaxxed and boosted. Tested negative on Friday before returning to the States.

Yesterday afternoon along with allergy stuff, I got a scratchy throat and was a little tired, but I had little sleep the prior night which just happens for me sometimes.

Anyways. Definitely feeling a bit worse this afternoon. Wife is going to get me a pulse ox just to be safe. I got some risk factors so I’m not Fucking around. I’ll make a tele-medicine appointment for tomorrow to see if I need meds.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

kinda same as above.  Started to feel off on a Wednesday and tested negative wednesday and thursday.  Popped positive on Friday.

On another note, I feel like shit.  Woke up and threw up last night.  I swear to god with all these fn kids I'm not going to be healthy for a got damned decade.

Username checks out

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, iodeac said:

I tested positive Monday and wife tested positive this afternoon even though we were trying to quarantine. Now that we're both positive is there any point to sleeping separately and trying to keep our distance?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Depends. Where is she on the crazy/hot scale?

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 10:09 AM, Incredulity said:

Round 3 for my family. Delta, Omicron and whatever is going around now.

My son appears to be our vector of choice as he tested positive on Thursday . He was the first positive with Delta.  The rest of us positive yesterday. 

Mild symptoms again for all 5 of us.  Cough, congestion, scratchy throat and a little fatigue….

Damn dude were y'all omicron early adopters? How the hell are you positive again?

Edited by B00M

No idea.  All I can tell you is the test results and corresponding illness.  

This one has been worse than New Year(Assuming Omicron).  It has been about equal to my first infection, only difference being  I haven’t lost smell and taste. I am vax’d and haven’t had severe symptoms with any episodes. My first positive was PCR, mid Oct.  Last two are home tests for me personally.  But other family members have had PCR test each time.

I have young kids and we are around people a lot would be my guess.

Edited by Incredulity

In Austin the number of documented cases has gone up 3 fold over the last 6 weeks but hospitalizations have not nearly followed the same trajectory, especially considering there are likely a shitload of cases going untested or caught by at-home tests.  There are still <50 hospitalized in the MSA.  So it looks like there is a big difference in this wave thru some combo of weaker strain and existing antibodies.

Edited by Snake Diggity