Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

Based on Football Scoop, Freeman only signed a 5 year deal for around $25 million. I don't think there's been any extension. 

Yeah, I can definitely see him politicking for another job. We even signed Sark to a 6 year deal. 

https://sportzhive.com/college-football/marcus-freeman-salary-and-contract-details/

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Who’s Traylor’s agent? I don’t think it’s Sexton. Because if Traylor is smart he knows ATM is over a barrel and he can probably get 45 million fully guaranteed. If he had Sexton I’d say it would be a certainty. 

Trace Armstrong 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, nnm said:

It’s absolutely mind bottling. Pay $76mm to get rid of a guy so you can hire Jeff Traylor?  He’s making $2.5mm at UTSA. No doubt they can get him for 5. So next year they’re going to pay Jimbo 7.5 not to coach and Traylor 5 to coach. 
aggy math at work, gentlemen. 

aggy New Math at work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like you dude, so I’ll go easy. Yes he’s a big deal in East Texas. So we’re deeply screwed in Jasper, Newton, and especially Gilmer. But 95% of the Texas 100 reside in the suburbs. That’s not to say we won’t take some L’s, but it’s going to be in very small towns. Given how the state is booming, I can live with that. 

It's more likely their recruiting will take a hit. Jimbo was bringing in highly ranked players. Their bet must be that Traylor will get more out the players, and success will help recruiting based on performance.

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok. Then why would aggy want a coach that can’t get it done at NOTRE DAME

He's bound to be a "sitting" something.

A sitting coach who has never lost a conference game at his current job.

There you go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really wondering how the recruiting dynamic changes with either an Elko or Traylor hire. With how they are paying off Jimbo via the athletic fund it seen clear there was already some in-fighting going on and the high level donors aren't pulling in the same direction.. All I've heard on the Elko/Traylor debate is that it's heated and split. 

20 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Really wondering how the recruiting dynamic changes with either an Elko or Traylor hire. With how they are paying off Jimbo via the athletic fund it seen clear there was already some in-fighting going on and the high level donors aren't pulling in the same direction.. All I've heard on the Elko/Traylor debate is that it's heated and split. 

Maybe the going rate for defensive tackles will be reset since one coach won’t be trying to build a roster for an 11-0 defense. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

11 hours ago, bluto said:

Am I the only one that hears traylor and thinks he sounds kinda dim? I know dumb coaches can and have won, but shit, I am rooting for him to take the job in CS. I think it has potential to tank them. 

He can't be all that bright if he has two kids who went to aggy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I think they all were on board with that.  Sharp doesn't really want to even mention Jimbo's by name I would bet because he's just as culpable.

All I know is that if someone lost $76m of my money I'd want to see more blood on the streets than Jimbo's firing. 

For god's sake it's A&M; they are firing professors for saying mean things about Dan Patrick and NO money was lost there.  I thought these O&G guys prided themselves on their savvy business sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That stupid buyout is already a point of pride for them though.  Because it shows how committed to excellence they are or some other nonsense.  In a normal environment, may people would get fired for the original contract and extension because the terms were so stupid.  I agree with you on that.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

All I know is that if someone lost $76m of my money I'd want to see more blood on the streets than Jimbo's firing. 

For god's sake it's A&M; they are firing professors for saying mean things about Dan Patrick and NO money was lost there.  I thought these O&G guys prided themselves on their savvy business sense. 

I see you haven't had much interaction with management at HAL, SLB and the like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We're gonna take some Ls with any coach because aggy is willing to buy players. 

But anybody that's more scared of a dude well-liked by the THSCA vs Lanning/Malchow simply isn't paying attention. This is another one of the hilarious narratives about Traylor. Being well-liked in Texas high school circles means jack shit. 

So who was upset at Tech getting Joey McQuire? Weren't he and Traylor the two next great coaches?

11 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Don't worry guys. He's all aggy. It's just a fact of finding mission..lol

Screenshot_2023-11-17-11-20-24-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-17-11-20-39-65_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-17-11-20-47-20_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-17-11-21-06-88_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

image.png.9524c690629ebfd108b6704de03526f2.png

Yeah, this stuff ... these guys are just so incredibly insecure and cowardly.  They have to couch any negative news in the most contrived bullshit they can come up with.

"Hi, Tyanthony - what brings you to Texas?"

"I am on a reconnaissance and fact-finding trip."

Laugh Artist GIF by HEY! STEPH

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Ha, well, allegedly there shouldn't be a split anymore. Either Elko opted to stay at Duke, or he's playing the ultimate power move to make A&M give him an obscene contract. Either way, the half of the boosters are going to be super pissed that they either missed on Elko, or that Elko and Sexton then fleeced them like the Aggies they are...and I am fucking here for it. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

didn't he give him that raise tho?

That was mostly Sharp. Lets not pretend we don't know who has the power in CS. 

39 minutes ago, Tx74 said:

So who was upset at Tech getting Joey McQuire? Weren't he and Traylor the two next great coaches?

I believe Traylor turned down Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha, well, allegedly there shouldn't be a split anymore. Either Elko opted to stay at Duke, or he's playing the ultimate power move to make A&M give him an obscene contract.

Good timing with Michigan State being open. Elko will be able to play the two to get a 7M+/yr deal done between one of those. Aggy can't be cheap if they really want Elko.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think that kind of audacious gaslighting could be pulled off with any other college football fanbase outside of ATM. Holy shit.

That really is their sweet spot. God bless 'em.

That said, how bad are the decommits really going to get? All these guys committed to hot seat Jimbo and his prehistoric offense coming off 5-7 in year 6.  Does his leaving really change the calculus? Maybe the current commits use it as leverage to get back to the bargaining table, but I don't see much of an exodus like we would in the pre-NIL days. Their recruiting has punched way, way above their weight this cycle considering the state of their program. Back in the day, they would have been lucky to land in the top 20 with all things being equal. They finished #17 in Jimbo's transition year with a bunch of last minute mercenaries IIRC.  

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That really is their sweet spot. God bless 'em.

That said, how bad are the decommits really going to get? All these guys committed to hot seat Jimbo and his prehistoric offense coming off 5-7 in year 6.  Does his leaving really change the calculus? Maybe the current commits use it as leverage to get back to the bargaining table, but I don't see much of an exodus like we would in the pre-NIL days. Their recruiting has punched way, way above their weight this cycle considering the state of their program. Back in the day, they would have been lucky to land in the top 20 with all things being equal. They finished #17 in Jimbo's transition year with a bunch of last minute mercenaries IIRC.  

Fisher, while deeply flawed in so many ways, could recruit. The "NIL" they have access to didn't hurt, but that little elf could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves. 

Traylor was a solid recruiter on Herman's staff. He'll be fine at ATM, should he get the gig, but he's not on Fisher's level. Obviously, his staff will be key in that regard as well. 

Elko was a good recruiter at ATM, but that was via leaning heavily on Robinson. He'd be able to keep most of the class together. 

No matter who lands the job, gravity is a bitch. This would still be a transition class for a new hire with no momentum at an unhappy, moribund program trapped inside the triangle of major recruiting powers around them, all with better momentum. That will weigh things down. I think it is safe to assume that there will be further attrition in the class and the future additions will take a hit in quality. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The "NIL" they have access to didn't hurt, but that little elf could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves. 

Yeah, I think almost everyone here probably undervalues Jimbo as a recruiter even with "NIL."

His floor has been top 10 classes for nearly 15 years and his ceiling is top 5 in a lot of those years. The idea that any of the candidates are at the level of Jimbo in recruiting is a complete guess and more fiction than fact. 

• Like 1