Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

5 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Scattershooting A&M's coaching search: Bjork & Co. casting a wide net

By Billy Liucci

November 17, 2023

the reality is that everyone in the coaching profession understands that the A&M head coaching position is no worse than a top-10 job nationally and probably significantly better than that, all things considered.

Regardless, the interest the job has drawn includes more than a couple of names that would probably shake up the national conversation quite a bit if word got out.

Eye Roll GIFs - 75 Animated Images | USAGIF.com

Robinson has not only impressed everyone in Bright and in the Aggie locker room, but he's also turning heads department-wide.

E-Rob was so impressive during the Monday presser that I've received several calls since from folks who matter telling me how proud they were to have the revered defensive line coach currently sitting in that chair. It's still a longshot, but Robinson has impressed enough that the possibility of him beating LSU and making a strong case for the job isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Michael-jordan-laugh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I guess I'll start by explaining in a little better detail than most why Oregon's Dan Lanning isn't an option. The short and sweet version? That $20 million buyout everyone references is actually north of $40 million and possibly even approaching $50 million. There's apparently a Nike component that was added after one year in Eugene that makes Lanning's buyout the most prohibitive in college football if not in college football history.

Youre-poor-as-shit GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

To whatever degree, I think the current list possibly fitting that criteria would include Ryan Day.

Ray Liotta Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Let's start with three names I'm certain Bjork and the Aggies will meet with or have met with already: Duke's Mike Elko, UTSA's Jeff Traylor and Lance Leipold of Kansas.

Jack Nicholson Creepy Smile GIF - Jack Nicholson Creepy Smile Yes -  Discover & Share GIFs

Matt Rhule certainly made a name for himself in this part of the country for his turnaround in Waco of the Baylor Bears.

How about TCU's Sonny Dykes? The second-year boss in Fort Worth checks more than a few of the boxes 

Ben Stiller Do It GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's also a terrible hiring process. When Del Conte fires a coach he almost always has a coach lined up immediately after.

It's pretty obvious they fired Jimbo with no plan in place. 

We did that with Herman and everyone complained that we didn't do a national search....

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I think almost everyone here probably undervalues Jimbo as a recruiter even with "NIL."

His floor has been top 10 classes for nearly 15 years and his ceiling is top 5 in a lot of those years. The idea that any of the candidates are at the level of Jimbo in recruiting is a complete guess and more fiction than fact. 

He's also been at FSU and Texas A&M. Not like he was elevating them from being a top 25 recruiting class historical to a top 10.

How much of the recruiting was him vs the school and machine?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They tout this like it’s a good thing. This is insane. 

Ross Bjork is in so far over his head. They WANT people to know the interviewed 15?

Compare to OU who interviewed a bunch of dudes, settled for Venables, then sold that he was the number one choice from day 1 and has never deviated from it.

What a bunch of buffoons.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Ross Bjork is in so far over his head. They WANT people to know the interviewed 15?

Compare to OU who interviewed a bunch of dudes, settled for Venables, then sold that he was the number one choice from day 1 and has never deviated from it.

Yes because that’s the aggy way. The most important thing is convincing people that they matter.  Look at all of these coaches interested in us!  We are popular!

• Hook 'Em 5

15 hours ago, Vermin said:

aggy is going to poach a 54-6 Ohio State coach. Or just go with the current DL coach. Or anything in between. Fluid situation.

aggy is going to name a coach just after the final game. Or possibly just before early signing day. Or anything in between. Fluid situation.

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Here’s how I imagine many of those 15 interviews going:

Coach - You still giving out those $9 million/year, 10 year guaranteed contracts?

Bjork - No, we learned our lesson on those.

Coach - :hangs up: 

More like:

Bjork: Coach, it's Ross Bjork from College Station. How would you like to coach the Aggies this year?
Coach: Gee, I don't know...
Bjork: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to coach in the SEC.
Coach: Let me get back to you, will ya, Ross? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

• Haha 5

If they were as desirable as they want everyone to believe they are then they would not have had to pay Jimbo that stupid contract and give him that asinine extension that they will be paying for the next ten years.  If it's a top ten job then they wouldn't have to overpay for a top ten coach (allegedly... Bc most everyone associated with Florida State knew that Jimbo was not that guy.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

More like:

Bjork: Coach, it's Ross Bjork from College Station. How would you like to coach the Aggies this year?
Coach: Gee, I don't know...
Bjork: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to coach in the SEC.
Coach: Let me get back to you, will ya, Ross? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Is that you, Tolbert? This isn’t very funny you know. I’m hung over, my knees are killing me and if you’re gonna pull this shit at least you could have said you’re from the Longhorns. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Here’s how I imagine many of those 15 interviews going:

Coach - You still giving out those $9 million/year, 10 year guaranteed contracts?

Bjork - No, we learned our lesson on those.

Coach - :hangs up: 

Not sure why any established coach would take anything less. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You've got to get the team and fans fired up when Abilene Christian comes to town! I bet the yell leaders told their best stories, and all the girls are giddy.

1 hour ago, Best served cold said:

And arm sleeves! Don't forget they brought back the sleeves!

The fun is back! Expect a recruiting bump.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I like that one. Isn’t Echols one of they guys listed as solid and happy during the billy and brauny screeds?

He's been flirting with Auburn for weeks but Looch and Brauny have been doing the same "he's just evaluating his options" song and dance they've been doing with Smith/Coleman/Evans

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's been flirting with Auburn for weeks but Looch and Brauny have been doing the same "he's just evaluating his options" song and dance they've been doing with Smith/Coleman/Evans

And then when he flips, Looch will claim he knew all along but kept it secret out of respect for the family.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

The announcer for the Aggie/ACU game threw out a stat - Texas A&M QBs have taken the most hits in all of FBS.

Second year in a row we are down to our 3rd QB and the year before that Zach Calzada got beat up. It’s math when it comes to racking up the hits. Steve Addazio should be run out of the business. 

Getting a very strong Mike Sherman vibe for this search.  No one is going to be excited.  Although he’s a guy I think should have gotten one more year, and I miss his ability to put together a roster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, NoName said:

They want people to think they are important and popular, "Everyone wants to be an Aggy! We'll pick the best one!"

• Haha 2