Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

Here's an article (from 2013) examining where coaches were promoted from. 

https://winthropintelligence.com/2013/12/09/examining-football-coaching-staffs-position-coaches-promotions/

first-time-head-coaches-pie.png.52cffebd4bae3385f400c8d99d6d2ed0.png

This pie chart is a bit confusing, since it's missing the other 86% of coaches that were not position coaches the year prior, but a few DE coaches were promoted to head coach.

Money Quote

In the last ten seasons, no FBS, FCS, or D-II coaches who were strictly position coaches for Cornerbacks, Safeties, the Secondary, or the D-Line received 1st-time Head Coaching jobs

• Hook 'Em 2

This was posted on the aggy SEC rant board. I don't think people realize how overrated their defense is. 

Spoiler

Saw in a thread on TexAgs that A&M went 0-5 against top 50 scoring offenses this year.

Miami FL
#36 w/32.1 ppg, #25 w/441 ypg
Alabama
#18 w/35.8 ppg, #49 w/409.1 ypg
Tennessee
#42 w/31.5 ppg, #18 w/453.5 ypg
Ole Miss
#23 w/34.8 ppg, #16 w/455.4 ypg
LSU
#1 w/46.4 ppg, #1 w/547.8 ypg

The FBS offenses we beat this season were, to put it simply, atrocious.

New Mexico
#60 w/27.3ppg, #48 w/410.6 ypg
Louisiana Monroe
#128 w/17.3 ppg, #112 320.9 ypg
Auburn
#68 w/27.3 ppg, #91 w/355.5 ypg
Arkansas
#72 w/26.6 ppg, #108 w/326.5 ypg
South Carolina
#77 w/26.0 ppg, #83 w/363.1 ypg
Mississippi State
#107 w/21.8, #104 w/328.6 ypg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This was posted on the aggy SEC rant board. I don't think people realize how overrated their defense is. 

Hide contents

Saw in a thread on TexAgs that A&M went 0-5 against top 50 scoring offenses this year.

Miami FL
Alabama
Tennessee
Ole Miss
LSU

New Mexico
Louisiana Monroe
Auburn
Arkansas
South Carolina
Mississippi State

That is the defense they are adamant needs to stay together so they can make a run at the SEC Championship and Playoffs next year. They literally just based their entire coaching search around keeping that defense together.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

12 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

That is the defense they are adamant needs to stay together so they can make a run at the SEC Championship and Playoffs next year. They literally just based their entire coaching search around keeping that defense together.

Weigman is the real piece to watch. If he’s out, do they try to bring in Riley Leonard? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Weigman is the real piece to watch. If he’s out, do they try to bring in Riley Leonard? 

Isn’t it the opposite?  Now that Leonard is explicitly on the market, does Weigman pull the trigger on the portal?

If so, looking forward to the Pravda pieces declaring Leonard as the missing piece. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm interested in who will be their OC. If it is a guy who likes to run the QB that is not a good recipe for Weigman.

Weigman was a five star because he's an excellent dual threat. He should still get some designed runs. What he really needs to avoid is an OC who wants to run his QBs up the middle like Herman used to.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Weigman was a five star because he's an excellent dual threat. He should still get some designed runs. What he really needs to avoid is an OC who wants to run his QBs up the middle like Herman used to.

Considering his injury history I'd argue any OC that uses his QB in the run game isn't a great fit for him. As a functional runner that's not an issue. 

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hide contents

Miami FL
Alabama
Tennessee
Ole Miss
LSU

New Mexico
Louisiana Monroe
Auburn
Arkansas
South Carolina
Mississippi State

I expect them to make improvement under Elko, but this group has never really shown to be able to consistently stop the run against quality offensive lines. Outside of some flash plays on sacks, they really never did much for two seasons. The other big question is Walter Nolan. He got carted off and was in tears as he left the field against Tennessee. What is the severity of that injury and will he even be 100% next season? I haven't seen any official report on what was injured, but it looked like it could have easily been an ACL or patella based on the angle he got hit. They are holding so tightly to this class and there is no actual reason to do so. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm interested in who will be their OC. If it is a guy who likes to run the QB that is not a good recipe for Weigman.

The name I have heard being kicked around is Kirby Moore from Mizzou. No clue if that is just wish casting or if he is a legit target. Either way, I wouldn't expect Leonard to follow Elko since this would be a new system for him either way. I am also not sold that Weigman returns. Maybe he doesn't transfer and just goes Baseball. He is a top flight baseball prospect, and quite frankly I think that is where his future is. 

I posted it out during the season that other than making some flashy plays their defense was actually not good on a down to down basis against the run. Auburn would have beat then if they would have just kept running the ball, as they were getting plus yardage every time they ran and had a few longer runs sprinkled in. Their defenses # were boosted by their pathetic schedule.

Texas A&M Football

Lunch with Liucci: Billy Liucci joins TexAgs Radio (Friday, December 1)

By Billy Liucci 

Segment 1 (00:00:00 - 17:03:14)

Let's talk about the portal. I think Mike Elko will run a high-character program. That is the vibe I have always gotten from him. He has been at Texas A&M, Duke, Wake Forest and Notre Dame. I think you will see Elko attack the portal more aggressively than what we have seen in the last couple of years. I don't think it's only because he's a new coach. It does not matter who the coach would have been. You will have attrition.

On top of that, I think Elko will, year in and year out, use the portal as a recruiting tool and weapon to replenish the roster. When they added guys last year, they needed depth. I don't think that will be the approach.

I know they did not try to do that with Tony Grimes and Josh DeBerry. I think you will see Elko get the best player in the country at whatever position they can get them at. There will be a pecking order. Sitting at the top is the cornerback. That will be a serious agenda item for Elko.

Receiver could be a position they need to attack. Imagine if you don't bring back Evan Stewart, Moose Muhammad or both and if Ainias Smith doesn't come back for a sixth year. Recruiting-wise, Cameron Coleman‍ could go to Auburn because of something there with Dameyune Craig.

Allegedly, there is a coach out there, I won't say who it is, who is trying to mess with the Texas A&M current roster. If you are A&M, use all the ammo at your disposal to thwart those things. That is for any school and any coach, especially anyone who worked here. That's what you will be dealing with.

Adding Drelon Miller‍ would be massive. Getting back on the Micah Hudson‍ sweepstakes would be massive. There is some perk up there with the change from Jimbo Fisher and starting anew. To reel them in, it depends on who your receivers coach hire is.

I would rather not go through this thing of, "Who uses their COVID-19 year, and who can't?" You can go up to seven years at this point. That list will probably include... One of these people will stay, but in my opinion, Max Wright, Layden Robinson, Ainias Smith potentially and Moose can come back. I would not be surprised if McKinnley Jackson could come back. I don't expect he will. Edgerrin Cooper could return. I do not expect him to.

Linebacker is a third position I could see them go portal-heavy. Demani Richardson is finishing his fifth year as a starter.

I think Tyreek Chappell and Shemar Turner are two I would really watch the most in terms of going to the NFL when they have normal eligibility. I am less optimistic about them holding onto Chappell. Turner is a Dallas guy, so there could be people telling him if he does not go in the first or second round, he could stay and get a nice NIL deal. Chappell would as well if he wanted. Turner would be more likely to come back if I am speculating.

I am going to say something that is going on all over college football right now in the portal. Every school in college football is going to lose players they do not expect to lose or don't want to lose. Sometimes, fans will overact and not realize that it was actually the program that said we would be better off without this distraction. That goes for everyone. 

Everyone will lose guys that the fans don't want to lose. Sometimes, the coaching staffs at the respective places will say, "Go." Some of those coaching staffs will go, "Damn. That guy was going to be good. We needed to hold on to him."

Here is what is happening now. Across college football, you have prominent players, almost through their agents, who are demanding more and more and more. They are threatening that if they don't get it, they will transfer. These coaching staffs have to figure out what is worth it and what is not. I am speaking for everyone in college football.

You have a bunch of jackasses that put NIL together with no guardrails. They failed us at the state and NCAA level. Now, you have kids demanding.

Forget they are demanding exorbitant amounts of money. If you are doing that, the school can say, "Hey David, we will give you this much, but if you want that much, you have to find it somewhere else. Good luck to you."

A lot of these kids will transfer with very high expectations that aren't met and wish they had stayed. Wish they stayed in starting positions, where they were happy, whatever it may be.

I have gotten a ton of calls about this. Kids are basically saying they need a bonus now, saying, "Add to the NIL deals by next week, or I will go in the portal." What will happen is a bunch of these schools that blink and do that to keep David Nuño on the roster will still go in the portal.

This is where, from school to school, you see who is smart and who isn't. It's like playing liar poker. See who is bluffing and who isn't. A lot of these young players will transfer and wish they hadn't.

Elko said it when he was at Duke a couple of weeks ago. Lane Kiffin has always talked about it. Matt Rhule talked about it. It's not all that was thought of when this concept of Name, Image and Likeness came out. It's gotten so far away from that.

Schools like Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, USC, Notre Dame and more, to the donors and alumni, you say, "How bad do you really want to win?" This is a weird period of time. Wherever you think you are, you have to step up and elevate because somebody is better.

If every player on your roster comes in and demands... Make up a number. Let's say half a million dollars. They will try to get it on the open market. They need to get that number from one school, and you will lose that player.

A&M will have to figure out how to do the exact same thing. They have to be one of the schools that looks at the nation's best cornerback. We are going to try to pluck him from this school. You have to play that game. It's just a weird, awkward, no-rule game everyone is playing right now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

I am going to say something that is going on all over college football right now in the portal. Every school in college football is going to lose players they do not expect to lose or don't want to lose. Sometimes, fans will overact and not realize that it was actually the program that said we would be better off without this distraction. That goes for everyone

Allegedly, there is a coach out there, I won't say who it is, who is trying to mess with the Texas A&M current roster. If you are A&M, use all the ammo at your disposal to thwart those things. That is for any school and any coach, especially anyone who worked here. That's what you will be dealing with

We all know who you are referring.. 😁

Edited by Longhornfrenzy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

I think you will see Elko get the best player in the country at whatever position they can get them at. 

This is an interesting departure from Jimbo's strategy. Could definitely see things working out for them if they get the best player in the country at every position. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Texas A&M Football

Lunch with Liucci: Billy Liucci joins TexAgs Radio (Friday, December 1)

By Billy Liucci 

This is where, from school to school, you see who is smart and who isn't. It's like playing liar poker. See who is bluffing and who isn't. A lot of these young players will transfer and wish they hadn't.

Fucking lulz.....

• Hook 'Em 1