More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Lulz Fuck ESPN. Let's hope Herbie and Corso are gone, but that's wishful thinking. If Corso didn't have dementia he'd be great, but it's time to take him out to pasture. 

Pretty sure they laid him off a while back.  He's not getting paid, but he keeps showing up, so....

The Anti-Milton.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, let them wither and die.  They made their bed of shit programming and over the top political commentary.  

fb15a26dd5114d5293e1e5645309c478

1000% this.  

It's amusing watching all these idiots who claim "sports", but then push their little agendas circle the drain.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

ESPN learning a valuable, if not painful free market lesson:  you are not as valuable as you thought you were.  

Are you still good for many things, of course.  But this is about as far as they go.  And when I'm out and about - this is nice at times.  

drive-chart-005.gif

CPRvWNMUEAAA2mb.jpgGeorgia Sports Blog: September 2013

$8mil for Stephen A Smith? (/Torbush)

ESPN’s “bold strategy, Cotton” for sometime has been hiring personalities that I assume 80%+ of their audience hates, I guess as clickbait type mentality? SAS, Cowherd (now on Fox), Skip Bayless, and the Jenele Hill+Michael Smith combo. How about hiring people with pleasant personalities that actually report the sports with insightful sports related commentary?

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Everyone loves Corso, but continuing to put him in front of a camera at this point is just cruel.

Meh...  former UL/IU  coach, so fuck him...

I kid, love Corso but agree it’s time to put him out to pasture. 

5 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Corso is a national treasure (in my feeble mind) and is way less offensive than some of those checkered-suit-tennis-shoe-wearing jackwagons.

I use to love Corso, but he's not the same guy he was 5 years ago. I truly think he has dementia or something. The lights are on but no one is home. I would be surprised to hear that he's been "let go" just to simply make his life easier. It's hard to watch him now. He's not the same, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I believe the fear of letting corso go is the real possibility that it would truly kill him to not have this in his life. Might be smart for that reason to keep him around. 

Do Corso a favor -- before it's too late

The layoffs are perfect cover to let him go now!!!

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

I believe the fear of letting corso go is the real possibility that it would truly kill him to not have this in his life. Might be smart for that reason to keep him around. 

Couldn't they just put him in front of a camera that is turned off and tell him he was on-air?

• Hook 'Em 1

ESPN has abandoned sports coverage in favor of politics and TMZ stories.  They've marginalized good journalism by holding onto a slew of sportscasters best known for screaming into their microphones. The only redeeming quality ESPN has is live sports programming for which they've drastically overpaid.  A few months ago, ESPN's studio programming hit a 41 year ratings low and the ratings will continue to drop as more people cut the cable cord.  Disney desperately needs to offload ESPN.  Either Amazon or Apple could pay $30 billion in cash without blinking, but who wants to buy a dead horse?

Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Yep. I talked to a friend yesterday that works for Disney. ESPN has been underwater for 3 years now, and it's going to get worst with their SEC bid.
The Mulan debacle may be the final nail in the coffin. Only way to see it here is paying $30 on Disney+, and their pandering attempt to get a wide release in China failed as well..

Somebody in the TV industry correct me if I am wrong..doesn’t ESPIN get money from every TV(cable/satellite)package they are part off? That’s quite a haul, especially from the folks who never watch the channel. How you can get that money, advertising money and still go broke is quite fascinating.

Too much talk not enough sports is the problem. Even if they were not trying to be preachy and sappy all the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Somebody in the TV industry correct me if I am wrong..doesn’t ESPIN get money from every TV(cable/satellite)package they are part off? That’s quite a haul, especially from the folks who never watch the channel. How you can get that money, advertising money and still go broke is quite fascinating.

Too much talk not enough sports is the problem. Even if they were not trying to be preachy and sappy all the time.

They overpaid for life sports. I can watch 15 minute highlights videos on you tube within a few hours of a game being over and see every big play with none of the bullshit that comes with broadcasts now. I would much rather watch a slew of these videos, than entire games. ESPN is the Blockbuster of Sports broadcasting.

They were so good back in the very late 70's and early 80's.  Cable was never interrupted by commercials in those days and it was fun watching a game without commercials, albeit may have been delayed broadcast.  I was with Getty Oil when we bought ESPN for about $10 and sold it for hundreds of millions to one of the major networks.  

13 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Kurt saved his job with fake tears. Hell, he probably got a raise. 

Good thing they just gave a raise to Desmond.  Oh wait, maybe it was just all on paper....haha fuck you Desmond!

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Whew.  I thought I was the only one.

There are always two, a master and an apprentice

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Ah yes, this is a possibility. Just like JoePa dying immediately after his life's passion was taken away from him: successfully covering up child rape.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Espn blows. I only watch if it’s a live game. I mean I love watching a radio show and every time I pass by I can’t imagine anyone sits and watches an entire radio program? 

Who watches the radio?    Texags thread.

29 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I mean, fuck's sake.

I turn on College GameDay for the first time in a couple of years just in time to see a segment, "How would you score on Lebron James?"  College football players and coaches had to respond to this ?

They should lay off the entire network.

ESPN is paying $2.7 billion/year running through the 2024-25 season for the rights to televise NBA basketball.  That’s the second most expensive media rights contract in the world after the NFL.....a deal where the NBA is massively screwing ESPN. ESPN has to peddle the NBA whenever and wherever it can even when it makes no cent$.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

$5 a month for NFL Primetime?  GFY