More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

On 4/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

What the hell happened to Sportscenter? I tuned in this morning to watch MLB highlights, and they spent the entire hour previewing today’s NBA games. 

QuickPitch on MLBN is glorious.  Nothing but highlights with the game broadcast commentators and maybe 5 minutes per hour of a chick in a tight dressing talking.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

All viewpoints are distorted viewpoints.

Anyway people talking about sports is less fun than watching sports. As I got older I have less time or patience for watching anything other than the actual games. Especially since unless they are exceptionally nerdy with their Xs and Os, the talking heads rarely said something that enhanced my enjoyment of watching the games anyway. 

Not really the talking heads' fault. These days there is so much game sports content on TV and so many scores and stats online you can see with down to the second accuracy, having to rely on a show like Sportscenter to know what is going on is long in the past. It is kind of amazing ESPN has chugged on with this kind of content as long as it has. 

*for what it's worth and I've said this in the past...

IF you have surround sound on your tv system, unplug the center speaker that has all of the booth commentary/tv commercial sound running through it. This allows me to watch the game(s) with little to no bullshit play by play or color analyst. It's like being at the game in person, but being able to silence the idiots in your vicinity so you only see/hear the game itself. It's dope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

According to the article below ESPN tried to Kenny Mayne him and keep him at a lower salary, but he said sayonara.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/stan-verrett-says-goodbye-to-long-time-sportscenter-co-anchor-neil-everett-we-are-brothers-for-life.html

ESPN was dealt another blow with Thursday’s news that longtime SportsCenter anchor Neil Everett is leaving the network, departing after 23 glorious years. ESPN tried to retain him at a lower salary, which Everett rejected (you might remember Kenny Mayne left Bristol under similar circumstances in 2021), opting for a fresh start elsewhere. Like Chris Chelios, who suffered the same fate when his contract wasn’t renewed earlier this week, Everett finds himself a casualty of ESPN’s ongoing budget cuts with Disney looking to shed a mammoth $5.5 billion in costs company-wide.

Everett already has a couple irons in the fire—he hopes to expand his studio role with the Portland Trail Blazers next season and is also said to be working on several “side projects.” Still, even with Everett making fewer appearances in recent years, it’s sad he’ll no longer share a desk with Stan Verrett, his co-host of 14 years on the 1 AM ET edition of SportsCenter broadcast from ESPN’s Los Angeles studios.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

First paired in 2009, Verrett and Everett made magic together, forming one of the great SportsCenter duos of all-time.

there’s something to be said for the on-air bond Verrett and Everett shared for so many years. Viewers will miss their easy chemistry as late-night co-conspirators, kindred spirits who made reading highlights fun.

I've got nothing against either of these guys but how much "magic" could there have been? I know who each of them are, individually. No idea they did SC together. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I've got nothing against either of these guys but how much "magic" could there have been? I know who each of them are, individually. No idea they did SC together. 

They were actually really good and funny doing sportscenter together.  They typically worked the 1am/ west coast sportscenter together and were really funny and had great chemistry. Had they been a team during ESPN's peak in the 90s they would've had a shit load more fanfare.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Jesus, rough crowd.  I retract my statement.  Neil and I are best buds, and we're going salsa dancing tonight.

Native Horn

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

kinda surprised that we don't just have college interns droning behind the highlights at this point.  when you can instantly click to find your specific team's highlights or a 7-minute youtube recap of the game what use do you have for waiting out an hour-long show?  Granted, i will turn on SC in the background as background noise when reading or something, but i can't believe they would still have any high-priced talent for the actual SC show (outside of SVP).

8 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

kinda surprised that we don't just have college interns droning behind the highlights at this point.  when you can instantly click to find your specific team's highlights or a 7-minute youtube recap of the game what use do you have for waiting out an hour-long show?  Granted, i will turn on SC in the background as background noise when reading or something, but i can't believe they would still have any high-priced talent for the actual SC show (outside of SVP).

It's been attempted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

Neil Everett  23 years...........kaput

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Neil Everett

11736866-espn-sportscenter-anchor-neil-e

Neil-Everett.jpg

Oregon Duck, loved Oregon & Hockey  and loved how much Linda Cohn loves hockey  

32 minutes ago, Underdog said:

6A36B2F0-98DC-46D9-826A-0B46995D7F8F.jpeg.5d99dcec739b9edcfe1a5a026b1e88c4.jpeg

I find this one very attractive and awful as a sports presenter. 

I have looked up her background and know that she swam at UT and the. USC but she comes across as someone who has never followed sports, but acts like a sports fan for her job. 

Fit body, bleached hair, spray tan, authentic as a Seven Dollar Bill.

16 minutes ago, texastroubadour said:

I’ll be pleased when they dump Steve Asshole Smith and the black dude from Pardon the Interruption. Worthless pieces of shit

Bad news bruh. Jackass isn't going anywhere and Shannon Sharpe may be coming to join the clown show.  I just don't see why anyone wants to watch the circus of regurgitation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of Linda Cohn, she fills in every now and again on SXM's Mad Dog channel.  She tries to go full shock jock but it doesnt work.  She still looks good, and I am betting she is in her 60s by now. I dont care enough to google it, but I seem to recall she getting a divorce because she liked banging the people she interviewed.