More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

Cable became too expensive and the majority of networks were too shitty and I got older/busier

This was me. My interest level across all sports has dwindled with each passing day, and ESPN hasn't been able to produce anything to entice me to tune in. 

They have 24 hours a day, over multiple stations to fill. There are not enough sports to fill 24 hours, nor are there enough people that most folks really care to listen to during the times when there are not live games being broadcast.

I can't imagine what they have to pay some of these talking heads, like Stephen A., to yell at the camera. People don't really want to watch that stuff because most of them don't really tell us anything we don't know. There is nothing groundbreaking at what they say.

So it is time to cull the herd, or, start broadcasting the Lingerie Football League.

• Like 2

I was talking to a coworker at work the other day, and the subject of our television watching habits came up. I told him that I finish every day by catching the latest sports news and commentary on The Entertainment Sports Programming Network. He looked at me weird before I clarified that many younger people know the cable channel as simply ESPN. I have not spoken to that guy since then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

They have 24 hours a day, over multiple stations to fill. There are not enough sports to fill 24 hours, nor are there enough people that most folks really care to listen to during the times when there are not live games being broadcast.

I can't imagine what they have to pay some of these talking heads, like Stephen A., to yell at the camera. People don't really want to watch that stuff because most of them don't really tell us anything we don't know. There is nothing groundbreaking at what they say.

So it is time to cull the herd, or, start broadcasting the Lingerie Football League.

I have even stopped going to espn.com because it is just a list of cuts from stephen a smith yelling into the void. He is intolerable.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Saturday night during college football season Sportscenter is still good to see all the highlights.  The 30 for 30’s and E60 are pretty good and y’all are missing out not watching anything they do because of some negative ESPN bias.  Now those morning yell at each other shows are trash on all networks, I don’t get how people watch Skip and Shannon at all. 

For the non-live hours, get rid of all the fake shows... pti, Steven A, whatever...

Find a way to integrate something similar to podcasts or twitch streams in 30-minute chunks... About sports.

Make SC great again.

hell, even live stream some national or local ESPN radio.

The content value could go way up, which would probably keep viewership from faking off a cliff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I never watch it anymore except for live sports. Used to be the default channel to have on until about 10 years ago.

I will occasionally watch PTI since I don’t mind that for their regular programming

No idea who watches the other crap. I also don’t watch NBA anymore so that definitely keeps me away unless there is baseball stuff at this time of the year

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

For the non-live hours, get rid of all the fake shows... pti, Steven A, whatever...

Find a way to integrate something similar to podcasts or twitch streams in 30-minute chunks... About sports.

Make SC great again.

hell, even live stream some national or local ESPN radio.

The content value could go way up, which would probably keep viewership from faking off a cliff.

Why do you think those shows are still on the air?

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What the hell happened to Sportscenter? I tuned in this morning to watch MLB highlights, and they spent the entire hour previewing today’s NBA games. 

Can they put the anchors behind a desk again? I'm tired of seeing dudes sneakers with their suits and the women's janky knees. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

To some extent Sportscenter’s days were numbered the day the iPhone came out, we just didn’t totally realize it at the time. It used to be the only place you could see more than 2-3 highlights from a handful of games; now you see great plays literally seconds after they happen without even really looking for them….

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why do you think those shows are still on the air?

Because media companies can't think outside of their box and there isn't 24 hours of sports content...

I know people who have ESPN on waiting for sports and the shows are on, but they're not getting watched.

It's like Good Morning America... It's just on.

I have no idea who watches Stephen A...  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Because media companies can't think outside of their box and there isn't 24 hours of sports content...

I know people who have ESPN on waiting for sports and the shows are on, but they're not getting watched.

It's like Good Morning America... It's just on.

I have no idea who watches Stephen A...  

Oh. I figured it was because they make money.

• Haha 1

Ironically they’d probably make more money and definitely have a better product if they went back to the 90s/2000s model of 90% highlights on SportsCenter and replayed the hour program a couple times, and not have to pay fake celebrities to be talking heads yelling over manufactured drama. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I was talking to a coworker at work the other day, and the subject of our television watching habits came up. I told him that I finish every day by catching the latest sports news and commentary on The Entertainment Sports Programming Network. He looked at me weird before I clarified that many younger people know the cable channel as simply ESPN. I have not spoken to that guy since then.

That’s because you forgot the “and” part. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

To some extent Sportscenter’s days were numbered the day the iPhone came out, we just didn’t totally realize it at the time. It used to be the only place you could see more than 2-3 highlights from a handful of games; now you see great plays literally seconds after they happen without even really looking for them….

This right here.  Who the fuck wants to sit around a watch a couple of middle age white dudes report sports in a priority order which may be in total misalignment with your own?  The reliance on the TV as the primary mode of information is a 20th century phenomenon.  SportsCenter is only good if you want or get interesting game analysis after and those tend to be only the biggest games and the interesting analysis is hit or miss....

• Fuck You 1

I dont watch espn anymore. More of a time and interest thing. But i have been observing the Disney fisaco. And I heard a term that made me chuckle the other day, refering to the massive layoffs at Disney and ESPN. 

" the grim squeeker" was roaming the halls of Disney and ESPN. 

Juvenile,i know. But i chuckled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This right here.  Who the fuck wants to sit around a watch a couple of middle age white dudes report sports in a priority order which may be in total misalignment with your own?  The reliance on the TV as the primary mode of information is a 20th century phenomenon.  SportsCenter is only good if you want or get interesting game analysis after and those tend to be only the biggest games and the interesting analysis is hit or miss....

What if I'm the guy who immediately turns off the TV/ stream, as to AVOID postgame interviews and 'hardhitting' analysis?

I know what i just watched.  I don't need Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum to tell me.  I damned sure don't care about 98% of the athletes telling us what it toook to get over the hump in the 3rd Quarter or whatever.  It's a total fucking beating, and talking heads suck ass.

I'd much rather discuss the game live in a board like this, and that goes for pre and post game too. I do enjoy some baseball announcers, especially opposing crews to get a little different flavor  with each series.

If my TV is on ESPN it is invariably on mute during a live game.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

You guys really need to pace yourselves. There's a lot of clouds in the sky today.

I'd rather listen to the sand blow than the loudmouths on ESPN.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

What if I'm the guy who immediately turns off the TV/ stream, as to AVOID postgame interviews and 'hardhitting' analysis?

I know what i just watched.  I don't need Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum to tell me.  I damned sure don't care about 98% of the athletes telling us what it toook to get over the hump in the 3rd Quarter or whatever.  It's a total fucking beating, and talking heads suck ass.

I'd much rather discuss the game live in a board like this, and that goes for pre and post game too. I do enjoy some baseball announcers, especially opposing crews to get a little different flavor  with each series.

If my TV is on ESPN it is invariably on mute during a live game.

Then you were never a SportsCenter consumer anyway and frankly, my digital content department needs to make you a target, but this would make your opinion on the subject moot.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Then you were never a SportsCenter consumer anyway

False.  I most defintely was through the mid 80's to about the mid to late  Oughts. Tom Mees and Bob Ley say, "hi!"

See also; readily available content elsewhere made Sportcenter obsolete.  Why deal with Chris Berman if you don't have to?

I was that consumer early on though.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

False.  I most defintely was through the mid 80's to about the mid to late  Oughts. Tom Mees and Bob Ley say, "hi!"

See also; readily available content elsewhere made Sportcenter obsolete.  Why deal with Chris Berman if you don't have to?

I was that consumer early on though.

Again, before the rise of message boards and Sports related communities..... so you've been  dead audience member for 30 years.  They're not going to pick you up now because you're old and don't matter in marketing.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Again, before the rise of message boards and Sports related communities..... so you've been  dead audience member for 30 years.  They're not going to pick you up now because you're old and don't matter in marketing.

I'm fucking 52 and spend money on my hobbies.  I ain't THAT old,and  if they improved their product, I might buy it.  They're the ones on a sinking ship.  

44 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'm fucking 52 and spend money on my hobbies.  I ain't THAT old,and  if they improved their product, I might buy it.  They're the ones on a sinking ship.  

Business opportunity right here.  Could call it “ESPN Classic”.  Wait…

Edited by Liquor and Poker
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I’m not sure that really is the way to word it. There are plenty of middle-aged black dudes on ESPN who say nothing of significance. It doesn’t matter what color they are, they generally suck. Stephen A is just as annoying as Golic and Greeny were. 

ESPN has basically turned into a “hot take” network. From the little I have seen in the last couple of decades it’s, “how does LeBron, or Brett Favre, or anyone, react to what this guy said, or did, etc”. It’s crap. It’s like the sports talk radio where they spend 15 minutes telling you what they are going to talk about in the next hour but, really never get around to discussing it because they have to break for commercials.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

What the hell happened to Sportscenter? I tuned in this morning to watch MLB highlights, and they spent the entire hour previewing today’s NBA games. 

Highlights? Lulz 

Just be glad sports center wasn't preaching to you the whole time and showing something sports related

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m not sure that really is the way to word it. There are plenty of middle-aged black dudes on ESPN who say nothing of significance. It doesn’t matter what color they are, they generally suck. Stephen A is just as annoying as Golic and Greeny were. 

ESPN has basically turned into a “hot take” network. From the little I have seen in the last couple of decades it’s, “how does LeBron, or Brett Favre, or anyone, react to what this guy said, or did, etc”. It’s crap. It’s like the sports talk radio where they spend 15 minutes telling you what they are going to talk about in the next hour but, really never get around to discussing it because they have to break for commercials.

This is America. Crap makes money. Lots and lots of money.

• Like 1