More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are they?

The number of subscribers fell by 6.6 million between Q3 2021 and Q3 2022 versus 5.6 million in the same period between 2022 and 2021. Since 2013, cable, satellite, and telco TV has collectively lost 34 million subscribers and now is in just 67 million US homes

https://envzone.com/is-espn-at-the-lowest-point-in-its-roller-coaster/

Edited by slorch

20 hours ago, Slacks said:

For the non-live hours, get rid of all the fake shows... pti, Steven A, whatever...

Find a way to integrate something similar to podcasts or twitch streams in 30-minute chunks... About sports.

Make SC great again.

hell, even live stream some national or local ESPN radio.

The content value could go way up, which would probably keep viewership from faking off a cliff.

National ESPN radio is so bad these days. Literally every show just does the same as the television counterpoints and only talk about a handful of players and a handful of teams. 

27 minutes ago, slorch said:

The number of subscribers fell by 6.6 million between Q3 2021 and Q3 2022 versus 5.6 million in the same period between 2022 and 2021. Since 2013, cable, satellite, and telco TV has collectively lost 34 million subscribers and now is in just 67 million US homes

https://envzone.com/is-espn-at-the-lowest-point-in-its-roller-coaster/

Disney is navigating the new terrain just like every other legacy media company.

Still, ESPN's ratings were up last year. As long as they can continue to carry live sporting events, they should be fine. 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Disney is navigating the new terrain just like every other legacy media company.

Still, ESPN's ratings were up last year. As long as they can continue to carry live sporting events, they should be fine. 

They also dominate at the app level.  ESPN the app does 5 times the number of the nearest sports app in daily views.  Their streaming stuff is close to the same.... they were slow to realize the changing earth beneath them and they're bloated as hell, but they're still the Goliath of sports media and no one is close.... There's a difference between being shitty and being successful.  I agree a lot of their day programming is shitty and really the live sports is the reason to flick on their channel, but where else do you consume most live action sports?  Fox1?  I guess if you're a huge NASCAR fan.... 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

National ESPN radio is so bad these days. Literally every show just does the same as the television counterpoints and only talk about a handful of players and a handful of teams. 

Keyshaen, JWill and Max are decent in the early morning. I don't know what the rest is like.

Whatever, find some of the top podcasts and pay to rotate through them exclusively once a week or whatever. Doesn't even have to be daily.

• Hook 'Em 1

Showing my age here........why does every notification from ESPN on my phone about ANY basketball game say "watch Player A put Player B on a poster!!!!!".  Every. Time.

If I bought all of these posters I would have to add on to the house.  Do kids actually still put posters on the wall?  My Earl Campbell poster wants to know.

And yes......GET OFF MY YARD!!!!!

• Like 1

I think I like Todd McShay? He was on an island about Jalen Carter’s off the field issues, was flamed on social media and in the press, but he stuck with his story. In the end, he was correct. 

Corso is OK, and I hope he’s feeling better. 

That’s about it at ESPN. Just a bunch of empty suits wearing vintage Jordans to work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, El Squared said:

ESPN isn’t helping themselves by bringing the cloakroom into sports. We don’t need Mickey Mouse to be our social nanny.

ESPN talks politics on the air? Does Stephen A Smith discuss the upcoming budget talks in Congress? Does Kirk Herbstreit debate Lee Corso about who will win the Republican nomination in 2024? I don't watch much of ESPN outside of sporting events, so maybe I've missed those discussions.

This right here.  Who the fuck wants to sit around a watch a couple of middle age white dudes report sports in a priority order which may be in total misalignment with your own?  The reliance on the TV as the primary mode of information is a 20th century phenomenon.  SportsCenter is only good if you want or get interesting game analysis after and those tend to be only the biggest games and the interesting analysis is hit or miss....

ESPN was in the early days a leader in featuring black and female anchors. Gayle Gardner and Stuart Scott come to mind from its glory years. Not the shitbags they have now.

My am go to is always Good Morning Football on NFLN. It has matured into a very good morning show focused on cogent discussion of the league without uberhype. Kyle Brandt has refocused the show even more after the departure of Kay Adams and Nate Burleson. They have their bits but they don’t go over the top.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This might surprise you, but some of us don’t like politics infesting everything we consume. If I want politics, I’ll watch political shows or read political commentary. I don’t, so I don’t. When a sports show wades into politics, I’m changing channels. 

I have also never been in the Cloak Room. 

Can you please give an example of ESPN "wading" into politics.

I for one have never seen it.

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This might surprise you, but some of us don’t like politics infesting everything we consume. If I want politics, I’ll watch political shows or read political commentary. I don’t, so I don’t. When a sports show wades into politics, I’m changing channels. 

I have also never been in the Cloak Room. 

This might surprise you, but politics and sports are symbiotic.

ESPN was in the early days a leader in featuring black and female anchors. Gayle Gardner and Stuart Scott come to mind from its glory years. Not the shitbags they have now.

My am go to is always Good Morning Football on NFLN. It has matured into a very good morning show focused on cogent discussion of the league without uberhype. Kyle Brandt has refocused the show even more after the departure of Kay Adams and Nate Burleson. They have their bits but they don’t go over the top.
Can they bring back Erin?

What talking barbie doll did they replace Kay with?

Can they bring back Erin?

What talking barbie doll did they replace Kay with?

Jamie Erdahl is very good and was a top reporter for CBS SEC coverage. I like her much better than later years Kay who seemed to really lose her shit during lockdown, or maybe it was after she broke up with Danny Amendola.

NFLN fucked up letting go of Rachel Bonnetta. Maybe the funniest sports analyst ever. Scathingly funny. She probably pushed too many buttons of players, coaches, and owners.

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yes, you have repeatedly made that very clear.  The problem is that people like you consider stuff like anti-discrimination and equal rights to be political issues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I'm starting to think Surly just hates... People.

I can respect it.

I try to listen most mornings, but when you are bad enough to cause me to intentionally turn back to Bucky Godbolt, I don't think you are in the right line of work. 

On 4/19/2023 at 2:39 PM, dcar00 said:

All media is distorted viewpoints, including ESPN.

All viewpoints are distorted viewpoints.

Anyway people talking about sports is less fun than watching sports. As I got older I have less time or patience for watching anything other than the actual games. Especially since unless they are exceptionally nerdy with their Xs and Os, the talking heads rarely said something that enhanced my enjoyment of watching the games anyway. 

Not really the talking heads' fault. These days there is so much game sports content on TV and so many scores and stats online you can see with down to the second accuracy, having to rely on a show like Sportscenter to know what is going on is long in the past. It is kind of amazing ESPN has chugged on with this kind of content as long as it has. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

All viewpoints are distorted viewpoints.

Anyway people talking about sports is less fun than watching sports. As I got older I have less time or patience for watching anything other than the actual games. Especially since unless they are exceptionally nerdy with their Xs and Os, the talking heads rarely said something that enhanced my enjoyment of watching the games anyway. 

Not really the talking heads' fault. These days there is so much game sports content on TV and so many scores and stats online you can see with down to the second accuracy, having to rely on a show like Sportscenter to know what is going on is long in the past. It is kind of amazing ESPN has chugged on with this kind of content as long as it has. 

Agree.  ESPN is good for live sports and the occasional interesting 30 for 30.  SportsCenter was novel in it's day as an aggregation point, now the aggregation point is anywhere you want it to be pretty much.