Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Wow.
And I wouldn't doubt that a major part of his appeal will be based on the admission of the extraneous (other "bad act") evidence under the rules of evidence -- rule 404 and then 403

That evidence was excluded from the guilt phase, that’s why it’s just now being released. It will be used in the punishment phase, and rightly so.
Abbott embraced him because that's what Republicans in Texas do.  This is who they are.

The newly released evidence will make Perry’s standing with the GQP SKYROCKET. Once Abbott pardons him, he’s going to get rich on the GQP speaking circuit.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That evidence was excluded from the guilt phase, that’s why it’s just now being released. It will be used in the punishment phase, and rightly so.

The newly released evidence will make Perry’s standing with the GQP SKYROCKET. Once Abbott pardons him, he’s going to get rich on the GQP speaking circuit.

Abbott and Patrick's offices wouldn't comment when contacted by multiple media outlets this afternoon, so Perry's standing maybe dropping, because they really really fucked up jumping out before all of the background info about Perry was released.  Him saying he's a racist and wanting to kill protestors....I'm stunned that Abbott was that fucking dumb to rush out and embrace him without all of the background stuff being released.

• Hook 'Em 2

Abbott and Patrick's offices wouldn't comment when contacted by multiple media outlets this afternoon, so Perry's standing maybe dropping, because they really really fucked up jumping out before all of the background info about Perry was released.  Him saying he's a racist and wanting to kill protestors....I'm stunned that Abbott was that fucking dumb to rush out and embrace him without all of the background stuff being released.

Will that make Tucker abandon Perry, or double down? There’s your answer. Abbott is still all-in, because Tucker will tell him to be.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Will that make Tucker abandon Perry, or double down? There’s your answer. Abbott is still all-in, because Tucker will tell him to be.

Tucker can easily move on to other right-wing nutcases that haven't declared themselves to be racists and don't see black people as monkeys, or haven't been caught doing that.

Abbott is going to be getting lots of questions about this one.

Tucker can easily move on to other right-wing nutcases that haven't declared themselves to be racists and don't see black people as monkeys, or haven't been caught doing that.
Abbott is going to be getting lots of questions about this one.

Ummm….you just stated the reasons that Tucker will like him even more.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm….you just stated the reasons that Tucker will like him even more.

Abbott is an absolute disgrace and is scared of people like Tucker Carlson because he mistakenly thinks he'll be anything other than Governor of Texas in the future, but stick a camera in his face and ask him why he supports somebody who thinks black people are shit-flinging monkeys and who wants to murder protestors and watch what happens.

This is not quite the case of being caught with a dead girl or a live boy, but it's also not something the governor of a minority-majority state wants getting traction in the media.  Especially since he's recently gotten a big "L" handed to him with the voucher defeat.  Abbott may have even thought supporting Perry would help him gloss over his recent defeat(s), but instead his office is already being asked about this guy's racist history and why Abbott supports him.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s Uvalde all over again.  Abbott takes a political knee jerk reaction without much information, and then shrivels up in silence when more facts come out against the knee jerk reaction.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

No fucking way Abbott pardons this piece of shit

if he does, there will be riots imo

Yes there is (simply because he came out and made such a bold proclamation).

There will not be riots... or even real significant protests. 19 kids were murdered in Uvalde and there were massive protests. 

The only escape I see is if there's word to the Pardons board to somehow not recommend a pardon. Even then, it would look like the board was defying Abbott,

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There will not be riots... or even real significant protests. 19 kids were murdered in Uvalde and there were massive protests. 

The only escape I see is if there's word to the Pardons board to somehow not recommend a pardon. Even then, it would look like the board was defying Abbott,

*weren't

3 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Saw this on Twitter.  My name is also Justin Smith, so this one gave me some anxiety.   Fortunately, I don't know anyone named Daniel Perry (as far as you know)

You just dox yourself?

3 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Saw this on Twitter.  My name is also Justin Smith, so this one gave me some anxiety.   Fortunately, I don't know anyone named Daniel Perry (as far as you know)

Jesus fucking Christ this fuckwad was fantasizing about shooting and RAPING protesters. Thank GOD he's allowed to carry a firearm without a permit so that he can """defend""" himself wherever he goes. 

Sidenote - it's fascinating that this evidence of mindset and desire to harm people is of note on this case when it was not in the rittenhouse house. I guess being an underage shooter gives you a pass on murderous intent

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

My guess is that Abbott seriously wants to pardon this guy but he will settle for the pardon board refusing to recommend it. It's still a win for Abbott as he can point to the fact that he disagrees with a white guy being convicted of murdering a BLM protestor.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think the most likely outcome at this point is that the Board of Pardons & Paroles just sits on the case interminably.  That would suit Abbott just fine.  He's already reaped the political benefit of going out there and saying he would issue a pardon.  There's no additional benefit to actually doing it.  Only cost (and real potential danger when Perry goes out and does something like this again).

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

He went through a lot of effort to roll himself up a very strange hill to die on.  

Again....all of y'all who think that Abbott siding with someone who openly fantasizes about murdering and raping minorities will HURT him....you're adorable.  It will improve his standing with the base.

We are firmly in the "they now say ALL the quiet parts out loud" stage of this historical timeline.  It's not just okay to hate again, it's ADMIRED.  It is a QUALITY, not a fault.  The GQP celebrates and enacts racism and hate whenever they can.  They don't run from it, they embrace it.  And it works.  The base loves them even more.  Where the GQP is the dominant party, it just increases their stranglehold on power.

These texts are GOOD news for Abbott, not bad news.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think the most likely outcome at this point is that the Board of Pardons & Paroles just sits on the case interminably.  That would suit Abbott just fine.  He's already reaped the political benefit of going out there and saying he would issue a pardon.  There's no additional benefit to actually doing it.  Only cost (and real potential danger when Perry goes out and does something like this again).

Agree, and in the meantime Daniel Perry will move to Rockwall and  successfully run to finish Bryan Slaton's unexpired term. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again....all of y'all who think that Abbott siding with someone who openly fantasizes about murdering and raping minorities will HURT him....you're adorable.  It will improve his standing with the base.

We are firmly in the "they now say ALL the quiet parts out loud" stage of this historical timeline.  It's not just okay to hate again, it's ADMIRED.  It is a QUALITY, not a fault.  The GQP celebrates and enacts racism and hate whenever they can.  They don't run from it, they embrace it.  And it works.  The base loves them even more.  Where the GQP is the dominant party, it just increases their stranglehold on power.

These texts are GOOD news for Abbott, not bad news.

I don't entirely agree.  Which is perhaps to say that I don't agree at all.  Because I think you're missing out on a lot of nuance.

There's definitely that part of the base that is openly white supremacist and is happy to cheer on the murder of non-whites.  It's not an insignificant number.  Actually, it's a pretty disturbingly large number.

But that part of the base has its limitations.  For one thing, it's probably not a majority of the GQP base (though maybe it is).  But more importantly, it's not really the part of the base that has the money that funds the Republican Party of Texas.

That part of the base--the TAB and the the TXOGA types--are racists.  Let's not mince words on that.  But it's a more genial and hidden racism.  They don't want blacks moving into Highland Park and living next door to them.  But they're not going to drop a racial slur.  At least not in polite company.  That's because while they may be racists, they don't want to be seen as racist.  That's in part because they've largely convinced themselves that they're not racist (it's the people who believe CRT (whatever that is) who are the real racists, you see).

So they're not going to side with an avowedly white-supremacist murderer.  And they're not going to want Abbott to, either.  Because that makes them look bad.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't entirely agree.  Which is perhaps to say that I don't agree at all.  Because I think you're missing out on a lot of nuance.

There's definitely that part of the base that is openly white supremacist and is happy to cheer on the murder of non-whites.  It's not an insignificant number.  Actually, it's a pretty disturbingly large number.

But that part of the base has its limitations.  For one thing, it's probably not a majority of the GQP base (though maybe it is).  But more importantly, it's not really the part of the base that has the money that funds the Republican Party of Texas.

That part of the base--the TAB and the the TXOGA types--are racists.  Let's not mince words on that.  But it's a more genial and hidden racism.  They don't want blacks moving into Highland Park and living next door to them.  But they're not going to drop a racial slur.  At least not in polite company.  That's because while they may be racists, they don't want to be seen as racist.  That's in part because they've largely convinced themselves that they're not racist (it's the people who believe CRT (whatever that is) who are the real racists, you see).

So they're not going to side with an avowedly white-supremacist murderer.  And they're not going to want Abbott to, either.  Because that makes them look bad.

Sure, but they're also not going to stop funding and voting for Abbot, at least not at alternative of getting a social marxist commie at governor. They won't like it but they'll have zero problems holding their nose while writing the check.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't there a crazy Austin guy named Justin Smith that someone used to post about here? One of those guys that would be voted most likely to shoot up a school? Or was it Justin something else?

Wasn't that the guy that moved to Colorado? I think it was a Facebook guy that people always posted.

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Sure, but they're also not going to stop funding and voting for Abbot, at least not at alternative of getting a social marxist commie at governor. They won't like it but they'll have zero problems holding their nose while writing the check.

There are ways to make their displeasure known without voting against Abbott for a Marxist.

First, you ignore all of the above points that rightly point out that Greg Abbott doesn't yet realize that he's never going to be anything beyond Governor of Texas.  He still thinks he's going to be president or Vice President or Secretary of something or another or on the Supreme Court.  And pardoning Perry gets in the way of all those things.

Second, a lot of Abbott's power comes from his ability to influence legislative primary races.  But if the big Republican donors are pissed at him about something, they can let their displeasure known through that.  It's not going to get headlines that donors didn't donate in some legislative primary in San Antonio.  But you better believe Abbott would notice.

So there's a lot of nuance to this shit.  And y'all who are like "being a white supremacist helps Abbott because all Republicans are overt white supremacists" are really missing out on it.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There are ways to make their displeasure known without voting against Abbott for a Marxist.

First, you ignore all of the above points that rightly point out that Greg Abbott doesn't yet realize that he's never going to be anything beyond Governor of Texas.  He still thinks he's going to be president or Vice President or Secretary of something or another or on the Supreme Court.  And pardoning Perry gets in the way of all those things.

Second, a lot of Abbott's power comes from his ability to influence legislative primary races.  But if the big Republican donors are pissed at him about something, they can let their displeasure known through that.  It's not going to get headlines that donors didn't donate in some legislative primary in San Antonio.  But you better believe Abbott would notice.

So there's a lot of nuance to this shit.  And y'all who are like "being a white supremacist helps Abbott because all Republicans are overt white supremacists" are really missing out on it.

I don't think a pardon helps him because I agree with you that he's never going beyond Governor of Texas (whether he realizes it or not). I just also don't think it's going to hurt him. There won't be meaningful consequences because the alternative is a Democrat. It's like the story that (I think) Bozo_Casanovo talls about Ken Paxton. Donor's still contributed (albeit not as much) and he still won handily.

• Hook 'Em 3

Seems odd for the judge to release this evidence before it's a matter of public record in the trial (at punishment). It's still a potential issue for appeal/motion for new sentencing. Ah well guess I should just enjoy the Abbott depantsing. 

Abbott in a sane world: "New information has come to light and I have decided that the use of my pardon power in this case is not appropriate at this particular juncture."

Real Abbott: Insulates self and never answers any questions ever, can either do nothing or proceed with pardon while still answering no questions, and no consequences for him either way.

• Rage+1 2

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm stunned that Abbott was that fucking dumb to rush out and embrace him without all of the background stuff being released.

What in Abbott’s history would make you stunned about him doing something rash and stupid before knowing any of the facts?

That's just it.  He used to be very calculated and measured.  Misguided and cruel, but rash?  Nope.  But now he just flies off the handle every fucking chance he gets.  

This is gonna sound ableist-or whatever you libtards call it.  But I think something is also wrong him mentally.  He's legacy shopping like a man with one foot in the grave. 

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That's just it.  He used to be very calculated and measured.  Misguided and cruel, but rash?  Nope.  But now he just flies off the handle every fucking chance he gets.  

This is gonna sound ableist-or whatever you libtards call it.  But I think something is also wrong him mentally.  He's legacy shopping like a man with one foot in the grave. 

Huffines broke him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I think the vast majority of people in Texas have no clue this is even happening.  I've been busy the past 3 days and the only place I've seen this mentioned is Surly.  I just had to catch up on like 3 pages of this thread.  Even if people are aware of it, this will leave their memories next week.  Like a fart in the wind.

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the vast majority of people in Texas have no clue this is even happening.  I've been busy the past 3 days and the only place I've seen this mentioned is Surly.  I just had to catch up on like 3 pages of this thread.  Even if people are aware of it, this will leave their memories next week.  Like a fart in the wind.

The tentacles of this story stretch well beyond Texas. This is a national story.

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's a very successful execution of russia's disinformation tactics to beat people up with relentless headlines until they just check out because they're so tired of it all. Then the shitheels have a free hand to do whatever the fuck they want without the public causing a fuss.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Biff Tannen is right. A story like this has no emotional punch. "Let's have a discussion about norms and precedent and the reasons why the governor shitting all over the criminal justice process is disastrous for our democracy" doesn't get people's blood boiling.

If this was an election year, the Dems (assuming they have any brains) could put the victim's girlfriend on TV every single commercial break - "Daniel Perry killed my military veteran boyfriend while he was lawfully exercising his 1st and 2nd Amendment rights, got convicted by a unanimous jury of his peers, and Greg Abbott let him back on the streets immediately" - and really make it stick. But Abbott's not up for reelection for 3 more years. This will be long gone by then.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, tokamak said:

@Biff Tannen is right. A story like this has no emotional punch. "Let's have a discussion about norms and precedent and the reasons why the governor shitting all over the criminal justice process is disastrous for our democracy" doesn't get people's blood boiling.

If this was an election year, the Dems (assuming they have any brains) could put the victim's girlfriend on TV every single commercial break - "Daniel Perry killed my military veteran boyfriend while he was lawfully exercising his 1st and 2nd Amendment rights, got convicted by a unanimous jury of his peers, and Greg Abbott let him back on the streets immediately" - and really make it stick. But Abbott's not up for reelection for 3 more years. This will be long gone by then.

“Hell yeah we’re going to teach your kindergartners about butt play!”

-Beto, probably 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1