Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

There’s more:

Texas’ big gains in enrollment are closely tied to another factor: It has over 5 million uninsured residents, millions more than any other state.

“There’s a huge pool to draw from,” said JoAnn Volk, research professor and co-director of the Center on Health Insurance Reforms at Georgetown University. “I’m glad to see they’re reaching some of them.”

An estimated 18% of Texas’ total population was uninsured in 2021, the highest share in the country and double the U.S. uninsured rate of 8.6%.

Texas is among 11 states that have rejected the expansion of Medicaid, which provides coverage for low-income residents as part of the 2010 health law. The top eight states in net gains on HealthCare.gov have not expanded that program.

In Texas, Republican lawmakers have raised concerns about the costs of expansion despite the federal government covering the bulk of the expense.

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

There’s more:

Texas’ big gains in enrollment are closely tied to another factor: It has over 5 million uninsured residents, millions more than any other state.

“There’s a huge pool to draw from,” said JoAnn Volk, research professor and co-director of the Center on Health Insurance Reforms at Georgetown University. “I’m glad to see they’re reaching some of them.”

An estimated 18% of Texas’ total population was uninsured in 2021, the highest share in the country and double the U.S. uninsured rate of 8.6%.

Texas is among 11 states that have rejected the expansion of Medicaid, which provides coverage for low-income residents as part of the 2010 health law. The top eight states in net gains on HealthCare.gov have not expanded that program.

In Texas, Republican lawmakers have raised concerns about the costs of expansion despite the federal government covering the bulk of the expense.

abbott and Patrick laugh in your face 

13 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Lots of rumors swirling around that Abbott has fired the Executive Director of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy because he refused rulemaking that would punish pharmacists for dispensing abortion drugs.

You can’t be disgusted at the antics of Abbott without being disgusted with the people who continue to vote for him 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Satchel said:

You can’t be disgusted at the antics of Abbott without being disgusted with the people who continue to vote for him 

In recent years, rather than be a Texan who is his own man, he's always chasing another Republican in a political race whether it's that little fucking Mogwai Huffines, or DeSanctimonius.  Doesn't matter if Abbott is going to win handily in a state primary (such as against Huffines) or will come in near last place in a field of 10 in a national competition (against DeSantis), Abbott is scared shitless of losing MAGA.

A friend speculated that it's because he's in a wheelchair, that he feels like he always has to one-up a lot of people, but I think Abbott would be this way whether he was able-bodied or not, but I think the empty suit is ingrained and not something that came about because of an accident in the 1980s.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Lots of rumors swirling around that Abbott has fired the Executive Director of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy because he refused rulemaking that would punish pharmacists for dispensing abortion drugs.

he’ll find a political hack to fill the roll 

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Julie is president of the board. Tim Tucker is the executive director of the agency. Board members are term limited while the ED is not.

Thank you for the clarification. Medicine and medical care seems like a field where Abbott or any governor ought to heed the admonition to stay in his/her lane.

This slack jawed idiot took the best of UT education and produced that shit memo for Abbott. 

When you have been riding Abbott's limo dick so long that you have lost all original thought, and your hair

Screenshot_20230212_155140_LinkedIn.jpg

Edited by pacman

There is nothing confusing or befuddling about Abbott and his policies. It has next to nothing do with his paralysis.

The reality is right before our eyes. Abbott and Texas MAGA are building a fascist theocracy in the Lone Star State. That's been the R goal since the 1980s. That is obvious to me, but then I was never a conservative or forced to go to church and be brainwashed by preachers and their Bible fables. 

Have any of the Texas newspapers, TV stations, or public intellectuals labeled Abbott and MAGA as fascist or theocratic? I seriously doubt it. I also doubt any Democrats have, but I could be wrong. Hard to win a battle against an opposition you don't correctly identify or fully understand.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, hayden_horn said:

i don't mind small time investment rental properties. hell, i'd love to have the headaches of a small time landlord as someone buys me a house. i dont know where the line is but 10 properties feels about right. i could be argued off that number to another. but at some point, when we are talking affordable housing, we also need to talk about local ownership.

i don't have the solution, but corporate cash buyers are fucking this market sideways.

Middle class families are being priced out of home buying in fucking Wichita Falls. Yes it’s a problem

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

There is nothing confusing or befuddling about Abbott and his policies. It has next to nothing do with his paralysis.

The reality is right before our eyes. Abbott and Texas MAGA are building a fascist theocracy in the Lone Star State. That's been the R goal since the 1980s. That is obvious to me, but then I was never a conservative or forced to go to church and be brainwashed by preachers and their Bible fables. 

Have any of the Texas newspapers, TV stations, or public intellectuals labeled Abbott and MAGA as fascist or theocratic? I seriously doubt it. I also doubt any Democrats have, but I could be wrong. Hard to win a battle against an opposition you don't correctly identify or fully understand.

People aren’t willing to end relationships (family, friends, work ) over it…yet

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nothing says you're on the up-and-up like when you ban the press from your events. jfc

when’s the last time douche bag took unscripted question from the press in a news conference ?

hell, when’s the last time you think he’s talked with an average voter ? 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

when’s the last time douche bag took unscripted question from the press in a news conference ?

hell, when’s the last time you think he’s talked with an average voter ? 

He's taking a note out of Putin's playbook.  Pretty soon, he'll be visiting a hospital or an old folks' home, and it'll only be the same DPS Troopers that provide his security, dressed up in doctor's uniforms or like patients or with old people makeup on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Long but good article in March Texas Monthly regarding Abbot/Paxtons destruction of the public school system in Texas and the methods the party has used to directly and indirectly do it. (Can read view free articles)

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/campaign-to-sabotage-texas-public-schools/

The next person(s) to run against either Abbot or Paxton needs to pin them as the champions of personally insuring the destruction of the Texas public education system under their watch.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

36 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The next person(s) to run against either Abbot or Paxton needs to pin them as the champions of personally insuring the destruction of the Texas public education system under their watch.

It won’t matter. Kids were/are regularly abused and sometimes killed in the state foster care system and he got re-elected in a landslide 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Long but good article in March Texas Monthly regarding Abbot/Paxtons destruction of the public school system in Texas and the methods the party has used to directly and indirectly do it. (Can read view free articles)

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/campaign-to-sabotage-texas-public-schools/

Yep, a lot of that article is from Dripping Springs.  I live in that area and volunteered to help Joanna's campaign.  It is a mess out there.  The far right slung a lot of mud and had significant financing from out of state.  In the end it affected the bond that failed last November.  They got in bed with the school voucher people to get votes and it screwed them over on actually managing the district.  So as of now, when my daughter is a junior, the high school is projected to be almost 1000 students over capacity with no school currently planned to be designed much less built.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Yep, a lot of that article is from Dripping Springs.  I live in that area and volunteered to help Joanna's campaign.  It is a mess out there.  The far right slung a lot of mud and had significant financing from out of state.  In the end it affected the bond that failed last November.  They got in bed with the school voucher people to get votes and it screwed them over on actually managing the district.  So as of now, when my daughter is a junior, the high school is projected to be almost 1000 students over capacity with no school currently planned to be designed much less built.  

the voters will not hold Republican's accountable for this, just like they won't for the unreliability of the grid in winter and summer, just like they won't for runaway property tax burdens, just like they won't for (as mentioned above) abuse and neglect of the foster kids (I thought Jesus loved the little children of the world?), just like they won't for anything as long as the red meat is fresh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

My hope is that there are enough suburban and rural voters and representatives who, despite otherwise being full-fledged MAGA's, will realize there aren't enough (or there aren't any) private schools in their areas who can accommodate new students from the public schools, or whose snowflake kids can't get admitted into the available private schools, and a voucher system will further deplete the resources and competencies of the public schools.  The Texas Monthly article touched on the fact that there are some R's who understand this and aren't on board with vouchers.  But I might be wish-casting to think it'll be enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My hope is that there are enough suburban and rural voters and representatives who, despite otherwise being full-fledged MAGA's, will realize there aren't enough (or there aren't any) private schools in their areas who can accommodate new students from the public schools, or whose snowflake kids can't get admitted into the available private schools, and a voucher system will further deplete the resources and competencies of the public schools.  The Texas Monthly article touched on the fact that there are some R's who understand this and aren't on board with vouchers.  But I might be wish-casting to think it'll be enough.

Hope in one hand, shit in the other...

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Rural republicans in the state legislature have killed our governors voucher system for these reasons, but they never actually punish the governor for all the terrible shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1