Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

13 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I got into fights with a whole rainbow coalition of folks so I realize there are assholes of every race, especially drunk girls from Laos. The will scratch your fucking face off.

Is that something I would have to pay extra for? Sorry, not me, I meant a friend of mine.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:13 PM, Ghost of LL said:

We are getting progressively closer to civil war with this. What Abbott is saying with this is that political murder is ok if you’re on Team Red.

But that can go both ways. All it takes is the DA announcing that he may not prosecute anyone who shoots a Republican officeholder in Travis County, and it’s game fucking on. 

And frankly, anybody shooting Abbott would have a better claim of self-defense than Daniel Perry. Between his handling of Covid, the ongoing catastrophe that is DFPS, his insistence that criminals and lunatics have as many guns as they can carry, and his prevention of people getting the healthcare they need, Abbott has killed more Texans than Santa Anna.

Abbott is basically confirming his position: black lives don't matter.

(yes, i know the victim was white, but he was participating in a BLM rally. Abbott is saying with his actions that the deceased, his life, literally didn't matter.)

Edited by yoladu

13 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Abbott is basically confirming his position: black lives don't matter.

If the shooter had been black and had killed a white BLM protester, Tucker Carlson would have never used his show to order Abbott to pardon a freshly convicted black man. 

Terribly ironic that the two people who pushed Abbott to the edge are Huffines and DeSantis, two guys if on another's shoulder's in a trench-coat would still be barely taller than Abbott.  He could have stayed the course, been a man of decency, and been the first disabled President elected to lead a Global Superpower.  Instead, he'll leave behind a legacy of cruelty and disrepair, waiting on a cabinet appointment that will never come.  Ever.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Terribly ironic that the two people who pushed Abbott to the edge are Huffines and DeSantis, two guys if on another's shoulder's in a trench-coat would still be barely taller than Abbott.  He could have stayed the course, been a man of decency, and been the first disabled President elected to lead a Global Superpower.  Instead, he'll leave behind a legacy of cruelty and disrepair, waiting on a cabinet appointment that will never come.  Ever.  

FDR?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

FDR?

He wasn't elected in a wheelchair, he just ended up in one.  Abbott could have been the first elected person to the head of state of a global superpower as a disabled person.  That's not his identity, it's just something about him.  But he could have been a trailblazer.  He is a smart motherfucker.  Could have been a reasonably moderate Republican from a major state and worked with Democrats to achieve great things.  He was a compassionate man who cared about others, I know most of y'all don't believe that but I do.  But something broke him a few years ago and he's never going back.  And he'll sit in the Governor's Mansion as long as he can and pout and wonder why the country didn't fall in love with him.  And he'll take it out on us.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Vincent Adultman for Governor!

• Hook 'Em 4

well certainly not any more.  ONe thing's for sure, sadly.  He's gonna take out his tantrum of "What coulda been" on the most vulnerable Texans for another six years.  

Worry about people who hate others.  But be absolutely terrified of the people that hate themselves.  He knows he fucked up his big chance and he'll be chasing "what if" until his dying day.  Most Governors term out or fade into obscurity running a charity or university.  But not our last two all-stars.  They wanna take everything down with 'em.  I'll give Perry credit, he's mostly shut the fuck up and hung out in the shadows.  

10 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I remember a tree breaking him a few years ago.

I also remember him suing and winning money as a result of that suit because the tree broke him, and then voting to make sure others who got broken by trees couldn't do the same thing.  So yeah, I'm not ready to call him compassionate or agree that he cared about others.

And after he helped make sure others broken by trees couldn't do the same thing, he kept on collecting a paycheck from the tree breaking him, all the way up until today.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I remember a tree breaking him a few years ago.

I also remember him suing and winning money as a result of that suit because the tree broke him, and then voting to make sure others who got broken by trees couldn't do the same thing.  So yeah, I'm not ready to call him compassionate or agree that he cared about others.

that’s the definition of a horrible human being / piece of shit 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I disagree with the prevailing notion in this thread that Abbott was somehow pushed to the edge by ascension of Trump and Desantis. He rolled willfully and voluntarily to that edge. Are we still the only red state that has not expanded Medicaid?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Didn’t sit on jury, so will never know the facts. I know as soon as the articles on his wife came out, the shooter was going down. I’m inclined to agree with the poster above that when the crowd is parting for the guy with the AK, and he shows up at your window in low ready, I can understand the shooter believing it’s go time.  There’s several ways to carry to intentionally show minimal threat, low ready in your face isn’t one. In all honesty, I couldn’t give less of a fuck if I tried.  If shooter is pardoned (which I was absolutely floored Abbott suggested, I suppose he is racing meatball Ron after all ) he will be crushed in the civil.  So he’s trading pound me in the ass prison for giving ZJs to support the aggressors wife into perpetuity.  I’d like to know what happened to the guy who fired back into the car as well.   But no, I’m not real big on any pardons. 

All of this is pretty reasonable, except all of the talk about the pain inflicted by the civil case against Perry. Victim’s family likely won’t get shit, since Perry is probably judgment proof AF.
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, scottsins said:

All of this is pretty reasonable, except all of the talk about the pain inflicted by the civil case against Perry. Victim’s family likely won’t get shit, since Perry is probably judgment proof AF.

Yeah I would have to defer to you or other lawyers on that. Why would he be judgement proof? 

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

steve-buscemi-fuck-all-that.gif

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He's going to be Ritternhouse on Steroids once he gets that pardon, and the Go Fund Me money will come rolling in, so it's absurd to suggest that he's judgement proof.

Sadly, that's a good point. I was thinking about him as he stands now and not the next GQP gun idol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, royiv said:

People with no assets are judgement proof.

I thought they could get a portion of what little you do have, similar to child support or IRS. Garnished wages.  

I’m assuming judgment proof meaning it’s not currently a windfall. I was reading it as actually being judgment proof from the pardon, etc. in some legal sense that I clearly am not an expert on.  

12 hours ago, Satchel said:

I disagree with the prevailing notion in this thread that Abbott was somehow pushed to the edge by ascension of Trump and Desantis. He rolled willfully and voluntarily to that edge. Are we still the only red state that has not expanded Medicaid?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I thought they could get a portion of what little you do have, similar to child support or IRS. Garnished wages.  

I’m assuming judgment proof meaning it’s not currently a windfall. I was reading it as actually being judgment proof from the pardon, etc. in some legal sense that I clearly am not an expert on.  

Can't garnish wages in Texas for a simple civil judgment, but once those wages are deposited in a bank they could be subject to collection if the amount falls outside of the Property Code's exemptions.  Property Code and Texas Constitution provide exemptions from execution on your homestead property as well as a significant amount of personal property.

But basically, unless you have a bunch of assets it's not worth the effort to chase.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

That summary seems to clarify why the verdict came back as "guilty".  At the very least, Foster had as much right to self-defense as Perry did, but Abbott is intentionally ignorning this fact, in part because he knows his base is mostly a bunch of stupid people.

I shudder to think what is going to happen should he actually pull this off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Critical race theory holds in part that racism is inherent in the law and legal institutions of the United States insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans.

At first I didn’t understand why Abbott and his acolytes were so opposed to the teaching of CRT on any level in Texas. Now I understand it’s because they wanted us to see what it looks like when applied to real life legal issues like the those involving Perry.

• Like 4