Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That's just it.  He used to be very calculated and measured.  Misguided and cruel, but rash?  Nope.  But now he just flies off the handle every fucking chance he gets.  

This is gonna sound ableist-or whatever you libtards call it.  But I think something is also wrong him mentally.  He's legacy shopping like a man with one foot in the grave. 

He seems to be shopping in an interesting legacy store, to say the least.

It's getting some national attention - this is the kind of unforced error that Abbott absolutely does not need/want, but because he is so fucking desperate to get some kind of W and get some attention from MAGA, he fucking fumbles the ball on this shit.  It ends up making him look weak and incompetent to the more mainstream Republican donors mentioned above.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/14/us/daniel-perry-racist-comments-social-media/index.html

As the Texas pardons board considers a request from Gov. Greg Abbott to pardon a man convicted last week of fatally shooting a protester at a Black Lives Matter rally, newly unsealed documents show the Army sergeant talked about killing people and shared racist comments on social media.

The documents from the case against Daniel Perry contain messages and posts made over several years. They were originally filed March 27 and were unsealed by a Travis County judge Thursday. The Houston Chronicle was first to report on the documents.

CNN has also reached out to the governor’s office for comment.

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

What in Abbott’s history would make you stunned about him doing something rash and stupid before knowing any of the facts?

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That's just it.  He used to be very calculated and measured.  Misguided and cruel, but rash?  Nope.  But now he just flies off the handle every fucking chance he gets.  

This is gonna sound ableist-or whatever you libtards call it.  But I think something is also wrong him mentally.  He's legacy shopping like a man with one foot in the grave. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Huffines broke him.

55 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

He seems to be shopping in an interesting legacy store, to say the least.

He used to be a lot more calculated and measured. I had a neighbor I saw almost every day while out jogging, who worked for Abbott years ago (his first few years as governor), and during that time, rarely would Abbott cross my mind to the point where I would ask him about it - when Abbott would do something frustrating, you usually knew why he did it and it was very calculated and not some fly-off-the-handle bullshit. 

He hasn't worked for Abbott or anybody that reports to Abbott in years (private practice these days), but I asked him about it last year and short answer, he thinks it's a combination of Abbott wanted more than where he is at, and he's unhappy that he's being ignored nationally.  I got the impression that Abbott may feel like things would be different if he had been in the Governor's mansion several years earlier and that he wouldn't be eating the fumes of people like DeSantis or Haley, but I don't know - Abbott has never been very charismatic to me, just an empty suit that tells the audience in front of him whatever they want to hear.

This was before the stuff with Huffines heated up, and we know it spooked the hell out of Abbott that some rich Republicans with millions to toss around would choose to back somebody other than Abbott.

He's giving off signs that he's desperate to get something to attach his name to, but he doesn't have a bogeyman that resonates nation-wide like Disney, and his fights with Texas cities don't do anything for him nationally.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He used to be a lot more calculated and measured. I had a neighbor I saw almost every day while out jogging, who worked for Abbott years ago (his first few years as governor), and during that time, rarely would Abbott cross my mind to the point where I would ask him about it - when Abbott would do something frustrating, you usually knew why he did it and it was very calculated and not some fly-off-the-handle bullshit. 

He hasn't worked for Abbott or anybody that reports to Abbott in years (private practice these days), but I asked him about it last year and short answer, he thinks it's a combination of Abbott wanted more than where he is at, and he's unhappy that he's being ignored nationally.  I got the impression that Abbott may feel like things would be different if he had been in the Governor's mansion several years earlier and that he wouldn't be eating the fumes of people like DeSantis or Haley, but I don't know - Abbott has never been very charismatic to me, just an empty suit that tells the audience in front of him whatever they want to hear.

This was before the stuff with Huffines heated up, and we know it spooked the hell out of Abbott that some rich Republicans with millions to toss around would choose to back somebody other than Abbott.

He's giving off signs that he's desperate to get something to attach his name to, but he doesn't have a bogeyman that resonates nation-wide like Disney, and his fights with Texas cities don't do anything for him nationally.

It's oddly satisfying that he's so irrelevant on the national stage in spite of being governor of one of the largest states in the country. The downside of that is he has to keep trying to find crazy shit to do to get his name out there.

• Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

It's oddly satisfying that he's so irrelevant on the national stage in spite of being governor of one of the largest states in the country. The downside of that is he has to keep trying to find crazy shit to do to get his name out there.

You know what would be REALLY crazy, and would totally get his name in all the papers?  Drinking hemlock on live TV.  Or hijacking a plane and defecting to Russia.  Or getting into an armed standoff with federal law enforcement, and go down shooting while yelling "FREEDOM!" or some shit.  Those would accomplish the goal.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 2

How do you fuck up that much in a 90 second video?  It's not "Franklin's"  It's just called Franklin.  Fucking asshat refers to it properly as Nordstrom.  He should understand, as an academic lawyer, that it's just called Franklin.  If you wanna refer to a particular item there, then you can say, "Well, I really enjoy Franklin's brisket."  

And then the sauce thing?  Aaron specifically recommends not doing his barbecue with sauce.  He makes it, and it's great, but it's not the main feature of his barbecue like you say.  He'll tell you every day until his dying breath.  It's the smoke.  Then the meat.  Then somewhere down near the bottom of the AP Top 25 poll is the sauce.   And this guy with the fucking ribs. 

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

How do you fuck up that much in a 90 second video?  It's not "Franklin's"  It's just called Franklin.  Fucking asshat refers to it properly as Nordstrom.  He should understand, as an academic lawyer, that it's just called Franklin.  If you wanna refer to a particular item there, then you can say, "Well, I really enjoy Franklin's brisket."  

And then the sauce thing?  Aaron specifically recommends not doing his barbecue with sauce.  He makes it, and it's great, but it's not the main feature of his barbecue like you say.  He'll tell you every day until his dying breath.  It's the smoke.  Then the meat.  Then somewhere down near the bottom of the AP Top 25 poll is the sauce.   And this guy with the fucking ribs. 

Captain Obvious GIFs | GIFDB.com

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My favorite meat is hotdog. 

The-office-thats-what-she-said GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 3

Also, just like Ron Deee-Santis changing his name to D'Santis, It seems like Greg has changed the way he pronounces Texas.  In this video he says it like a normal person.  TEXas.  Lately he has this way of annoyingly emphasizing the second syllable, lingering on the s to the point it almost sounds like a z.  Something like, TexEZS.  It annoys the shit out of me.

Anyway I thought you all would like to hear about that.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

So there's a lot of nuance to this shit. 

Nah. More like zero nuance.

By any dictionary definition, MAGA-GQP is a fascist theocratic party seeking to rule through violence, intimidation, and Biblical law. They are led by a malevolent, ignorant, orange-faced fascist buffoon, a con man cult leader who tried to overturn an election. MAGA-GQP are openly and brazenly attacking women, Blacks, immigrants, LGTQIA+, BLM protestors, doctors, nurses, educators, librarians, election workers, scientists, vaccines, medicines, and so on.

More than 95K are dead from Covid in Texas. There are mass shootings galore. MAGA-GQP is enabling mass death. Given all of the above, Abbott got re-elected easily. 

There is no f*cking nuance!

Edited by BevoAbyss

34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm pretty sure this was the cause of his downfall:

"There's this place named Franklin's, that's just out of this world."

"The most important thing about barbecue is sauce."

"You've gotta have [baby back] ribs"

I hate him even more and I didn’t think that was possible. Doesn’t anyone prep him for this shit?

He’s in a NYC BBQ restaurant that flys its sausage and post oak from Lockhart. If he was an actual by-god Texan, he would have mentioned the original Big 3.

Sauce? That’s for the unwashed heathens from SEC country that don’t know how to properly smoke a brisket and get that perfect bite without any sauce. Sauce is used to cover subpar meat.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

If what you're saying about the Texas Economic Model is true, Greg.  Then God would've Miracle'd your ass up to the counter to order more brisket.  

I'm sorry for your disability.  But you've gotten cruel and malignant, much more than I ever thought possible.  Go fuck yourself, you fucking child.  

It's not that he mentions sauce, it's the ridiculous assertiveness that "the most important thing about BBQ is sauce".  No self-respecting central Texas BBQ pitmaster would say such a thing.  They might provide sauce, but the most important thing is the . . . meat.  What a colossally out of touch asshat.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

^

yes, more eloquent than I.  I've never heard any Texan, even a fucking vegan, say that the sauce was the most important component of barbecue.  

It's like some broken divorcee claiming, "I don't even care about the single vineyard, vintage Sauvignon Blanc.  The most important thing with wine are the ice cubes."  

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

. Doesn’t anyone prep him for this shit?

And something else I'd toss in - in their attempts to seem like "normal" Texans, we've all seen Abbott, Cruz, Patrick, and Cornyn fuck up really simple things that most Texans should know or at least have a simple understanding of.  Just simple fucking things like fishing, BBQ, trying to "look" like a Texan, etc.

And all of these things are immediately caught by us, so you know they are caught by their staffers (who spend a lot of time on public images for these people).

But their staffers let them do this shit anyways and didn't correct them, so I'm not kidding when I say some of them have staffers who hate them and will gladly let them fuck up publicly.

Remember Maryland Dan's "work clothes" (that came right off the rack) and pickup truck?

ghows-TX-e9900528-be9a-4d88-b077-42fe1b2

Remember Ted Cruz "fishing" ?

E3o2KCCWEAEj2-D.jpg

Remember John Cornyn's family BBQ?

EqC1e6IWMAEVku9?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Sauce? That’s for the unwashed heathens from SEC country that don’t know how to properly smoke a brisket and get that perfect bite without any sauce. Sauce is used to cover subpar meat.

If any bunch of rubes are going to vote Abbott for President, who do you think that would be?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And something else I'd toss in - in their attempts to seem like "normal" Texans, we've all seen Abbott, Cruz, Patrick, and Cornyn fuck up really simple things that most Texans should know or at least have a simple understanding of.  Just simple fucking things like fishing, BBQ, trying to "look" like a Texan, etc.

And all of these things are immediately caught by us, so you know they are caught by their staffers (who spend a lot of time on public images for these people).

But their staffers let them do this shit anyways and didn't correct them, so I'm not kidding when I say some of them have staffers who hate them and will gladly let them fuck up publicly.

Remember Maryland Dan's "work clothes" (that came right off the rack) and pickup truck?

ghows-TX-e9900528-be9a-4d88-b077-42fe1b2

Remember Ted Cruz "fishing" ?

E3o2KCCWEAEj2-D.jpg

Remember John Cornyn's family BBQ?

EqC1e6IWMAEVku9?format=jpg&name=large

shoddy performances of texana impresses the transplants.

Native Texans voted for native Texan Beto O'Rourke, transplants went for Ted Cruz, exit poll shows

A CNN exit poll showed O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51-48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent for O'Rourke.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/11/09/native-texans-voted-for-native-texan-beto-o-rourke-transplants-went-for-ted-cruz-exit-poll-shows/

"don't california my texas"

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

spacer.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

Standing and saying a pledge to your country and state every morning is the weirdest shit. I did it growing up but looking back….weird shit.

Yeah, friends from other countries have commented upon how weird it is. It feels like something out of the Soviet Union or something.

It's like is there going to be a morning where you as a kid are going to roll out of bed and decide to pledge your allegiance to another flag or country or state?

These are the only states with their own pledge:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Georgia
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas

What happens if my kid refuses to do the pledge for Texas, and instead declares he's pledging allegiance to Vermont or Wisconsin or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

Standing and saying a pledge to your country and state every morning is the weirdest shit. I did it growing up but looking back….weird shit.

marketing becomes part of the fabric of america, example (fairly low because it was right near the start of that) 003. 

Bellamy and his bosses at the Youth's Companion wanted to capitalize on the upcoming Columbian Exposition, the 400th anniversary of Columbus' first journey to the New World. So, they teamed with patriotic civic groups like the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) to sell American flags to their subscribers, which numbered half a million nationwide.

The magazine also decided to print a patriotic program that schools could recite on Oct. 21, 1892, the national Columbian Celebration, and they tasked Bellamy with writing it. A Pledge of Allegiance was only one component of the program, which included parades, patriotic songs and tributes to Civil War veterans.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, friends from other countries have commented upon how weird it is. It feels like something out of the Soviet Union or something.
It's like is there going to be a morning where you as a kid are going to roll out of bed and decide to pledge your allegiance to another flag or country or state?
These are the only states with their own pledge:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Georgia
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
What happens if my kid refuses to do the pledge for Texas, and instead declares he's pledging allegiance to Vermont or Wisconsin or something?

Respect his decision?
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Stringer said:

I'm with you on that and it extends to the national anthem in sport too. It's just weird.

Now, the real weird shit is when you've been away from the church for 20+ years and when you go it's super creepy to hear people recite/chant things in unison. creepy af

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Greg wants Texans to think that Biden and the Democrats have been running and destroying Texas for decades, and Greg swooped in recently and is going to save us all, instead of the fact that Republicans have been running Texas since the 90s, and that all of this shit, whether it's curriculum or border security problems, have all happened on the watch of Republicans.  And Greg has been a Texas Supreme Court justice, Texas Attorney General or Texas Governor for over 20 years, so he's knee deep in all of this.

And when you frame all of this in the context of Abbott flailing around at 1% or less in the national polling for the Republican Presidential candidates, and how he's desperate to have some kind of national legacy and he's getting upstaged by some Trump wannabe out of Florida 20 years his junior and who has only had 10 years in politics versus Greg's decades in politics, you're left with a really sad old man who is angry at the world and doesn't think it's fair that nobody nationally cares about him.

Greg is so out of touch at this point, I bet he doesn't even realize that people aren't electing "Greg Abbott" as Governor, they are elected "(R) FirstName LastName" as Governor.

It's extremely sad when you realize that he had the brains, the connections, and the platforms (such as helping disabled Americans, and pushing for adoption) to actually have a solid legacy had he chosen to do that.  Instead, he's he acts like an angry old man who hates a large chunk of Texans who don't believe in the same things that he does, looks like he's just mimicking the young guy out in Florida, and he makes a lot of us wish the aggy Rick Perry was still governor.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 6:17 PM, DDD Dad said:

I’ve posted and referenced this video before, and shit like this captures assholes like Abbott and Cruz so well.  Whatever notion that have of what it means to be a Texan, they take such painstaking efforts to be that, and it comes off so plainly inauthentic. Fucking dipshit posers they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn’t even make rational sense.  Ok you like bbq with sauce, fine. Most important? That’s like saying having a bottle of A-1 is most important when at Ruth’s Chris. Jesus dude. The fucking meat and how it tastes is most important you moron. Well that and some good block cheddar cheese. Y’all mother fuckers need to elect a Texas tranny to the gub mansion, I’ll set this shit straight. Shaggy as my liaison for all things Texan - bbq, beer, and Texas sports. Thujone can be my press secretary but no pressing on the ladies of my staff. Mkay? 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Can we get back to talking about the hope that Perry:Abbott is as Horton:Dukakis

Perry is soft on crime, seeks pardon of murderer rallies should be happening in front of the Capitol

Or how about the whole private school bullshit and takeover in Houston is just this generation's grift like private prisons or toll roads.  A way to enrich the donor class with tax dollars.