Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

16 minutes ago, mchookem said:

wtf is he even talking about, 'rogue DAs'?? it's not like the DA just declared the dude guilty...it was, you know, A JURY OF HIS PEERS. i mean it doesn't even partially make sense! 

Grace Helbig Wow GIF by This Might Get

Think about who the target audience is. We’re not exactly talking about the best and brightest. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Meh.  If you open. carry and get shot, tough shit.  No one knows if you’re going to go psycho and start blasting, so better safe than sorry.

Guess we can just start blasting anytime we see another dick with a gun in public.

i-started-blasting-so-anyway-i-started-b

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

Guess we can just start blasting anytime we see another dick with a gun in public.
i-started-blasting-so-anyway-i-started-blasting.gif

Incorrect. That rule only applies if you MAGA, and the guy guy shoot is a commie libtard.
That’s it. That’s the literal, actual rule. The State will sanction murder, so long as it’s murder of the opponents of the regime.
  • Rage+1 3

58 minutes ago, TexPx said:

I’m confused. I thought we supposed to be tough on crime.

Abbott is seeking the support of a a political movement that has one core belief: there are in-groups that the law protects but does not bind, and out-groups that the law binds but does not protect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Incorrect. That rule only applies if you MAGA, and the guy guy shoot is a commie libtard.
That’s it. That’s the literal, actual rule. The State will sanction murder, so long as it’s murder of the opponents of the regime.

Oh, believe me I get it.

There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

Abbott and DeSantis are in a race to see how brain broken GOP leadership can get. 

Yes. And remember the rules of this new era:
It only gets worse
And
There is no bottom.

You literally have the leader of a state telling the world that he is going to functionally legalize the murder of people who are not sufficiently loyal to the regime. And yes, it’s going to get worse than that.
  • Rage+1 2

"Jennifer Laurin, a University of Texas law professor, addressed the portion of Abbott’s statement on Texas’ self-defense laws. She said that a jury is instructed to reject the defense when the person asserting it provoked the response, as prosecutors say Perry did when he drove his car into a crowd of protesters.

“Painting the conviction as rogue nullification is uniformed or deceptive,” Laurin tweeted."

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2023/04/08/texas-governor-greg-abbott-will-pardon-daniel-perry-convicted-of-murder-garrett-foster/70095504007/

So weird how some whom claim they need their 2nd Amendment right to protect against potential government tyranny will premeditate homicide against those exercising their 1st Amendment right protesting actual deadly government tyranny.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, royiv said:

@Handcruser

@BabaYaga

@fattyflattie

@Frank Drebin

Y'all cool or No? Should Abbott issue a pardon in this case?

Didn’t sit on jury, so will never know the facts. I know as soon as the articles on his wife came out, the shooter was going down. I’m inclined to agree with the poster above that when the crowd is parting for the guy with the AK, and he shows up at your window in low ready, I can understand the shooter believing it’s go time.  There’s several ways to carry to intentionally show minimal threat, low ready in your face isn’t one. In all honesty, I couldn’t give less of a fuck if I tried.  If shooter is pardoned (which I was absolutely floored Abbott suggested, I suppose he is racing meatball Ron after all ) he will be crushed in the civil.  So he’s trading pound me in the ass prison for giving ZJs to support the aggressors wife into perpetuity.  I’d like to know what happened to the guy who fired back into the car as well.   But no, I’m not real big on any pardons. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Didn’t sit on jury, so will never know the facts. I know as soon as the articles on his wife came out, the shooter was going down. I’m inclined to agree with the poster above that when the crowd is parting for the guy with the AK, and he shows up at your window in low ready, I can understand the shooter believing it’s go time.  There’s several ways to carry to intentionally show minimal threat, low ready in your face isn’t one. In all honesty, I couldn’t give less of a fuck if I tried.  If shooter is pardoned (which I was absolutely floored Abbott suggested, I suppose he is racing meatball Ron after all ) he will be crushed in the civil.  So he’s trading pound me in the ass prison for giving ZJs to support the aggressors wife into perpetuity.  I’d like to know what happened to the guy who fired back into the car as well.   But no, I’m not real big on any pardons. 

Pretty much agree with all this. 

Look, Abbott is in the low-double digits, if he even registers, when it comes to national polling on 2024 and the White House.  The man is desperate because he thought he put in the decades of work to get noticed nationally, and then in just a few short years, DeSantis is stealing his thunder and is now #2 behind Trump.

So just wait, whatever Abbott has done to piss you off last week, it's going to be worse a week or two from now as he gets more and more desperate to get noticed.  He's the Elon Musk of governors - he's willing to ruin Texas in order to get non-Texans to like him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

What a strange regression for this shithead.  Say what you will about him and his politics, for most of his elected career---he was comfortable in his own skin.  And now he's just a perpetual tempter tantrum of "NOTICE ME, NOTICE ME, NOTICE ME!"  It would almost be sad to see, if it wasn't hurting so many people along the way.  

He's backed in a weird corner.  Unlike the younger candidates for GOP nomination (he'd be 67 at time of a general election), he doesn't have the luxury of running again in 2028 or beyond if he doesn't defeat Trump in 2024.  But he needs to make himself more formidable in 2024 so as to have a delegate bloc to leverage for a cabinet position or SCOTUS/5th Circuit bench spot.  And if a Republican doesn't win and do that for him, he's a minister without portfolio in 2025 & 2026.  He'd just go through a listless re-election campaign for Governor of Texas that even his most ardent supporters would be like, "Really dude?  This shit again?"  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What a strange regression for this shithead.  Say what you will about him and his politics, for most of his elected career---he was comfortable in his own skin.  And now he's just a perpetual tempter tantrum of "NOTICE ME, NOTICE ME, NOTICE ME!"  It would almost be sad to see, if it wasn't hurting so many people along the way.  

He's backed in a weird corner.  Unlike the younger candidates for GOP nomination (he'd be 67 at time of a general election), he doesn't have the luxury of running again in 2028 or beyond if he doesn't defeat Trump in 2024.  But he needs to make himself more formidable in 2024 so as to have a delegate bloc to leverage for a cabinet position or SCOTUS/5th Circuit bench spot.  And if a Republican doesn't win and do that for him, he's a minister without portfolio in 2025 & 2026.  He'd just go through a listless re-election campaign for Governor of Texas that even his most ardent supporters would be like, "Really dude?  This shit again?"  

Crossing threads a bit here, but Abbott is a shining example of why the "we'd be in the exact same place if Hillary beat Trump" argument is nonsense.  The country is filled with dudes like Abbott, who learned all the wrong lessons from Trump and went from run-of-the-mill Republicans to acting like they're trying to claim first prize in a cruelty contest.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Good point.  I sat in rooms and listened to Abbott talk about ensuring GOP dominance in Texas on the eve of massive demographic shifts and folks from blue states moving here en masse.  It was appealing more to Hispanics, and improving education and health care, and tax regressive tax relief.  It wasn't exactly illuminating, but he had to at least say the words out loud and maybe have a longshot of progress by osmosis.  

And then Trump happens, and then Huffines, and now DeSantis.  And he's just in a race to the bottom now.  Instead of working to expand and improve the party through work and legislation and vision and leadership, they found the biggest shortcut since Candyland.  Just appeal to the bottom of society, and that will inspire them to turn out and not only vote, but donate money they don't have.  The others will turn out just 'cause and hit the R lever regardless but on the way to the forum, they accidentally found a lost cohort of rare/never voters who were just waiting for someone to validate their ugliness and ignorance.  And now that they've had a seat at the table, it's a very powerful drug to kick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Look, Abbott is in the low-double digits, if he even registers, when it comes to national polling on 2024 and the White House.  The man is desperate because he thought he put in the decades of work to get noticed nationally, and then in just a few short years, DeSantis is stealing his thunder and is now #2 behind Trump.

So just wait, whatever Abbott has done to piss you off last week, it's going to be worse a week or two from now as he gets more and more desperate to get noticed.  He's the Elon Musk of governors - he's willing to ruin Texas in order to get non-Texans to like him.

Less than 1% is prettier low double,digits 

• Hook 'Em 1

What Perry was expressing on social media and in texts with his friend Holcomb is no different than what thousands of right-wingers have been openly expressing and normalizing for years now via their wartime Come And Take It flags and decals. It's not "I wish to live in peace but shall regretfully have to shoot you if you infringe what I believe are my rights". It's "I HOPE you infringe on what I believe are my rights so I can kill you and my fellow Americans".
"I hope one of those woogy boogy son bitches step on my property so I can shoot that jungle ass saggy pant wearing dancing eating all the chicken."

It really is Just a racist dream of many many people.

I think my brother's racism stems from getting his ass whipped by some black dudes in school for a couple years and never getting even. Full stop a life time of voting R because he ran in the regular classes with dumber people including his white trash friends and only experienced black folks that whipped his ass.

I got into fights with a whole rainbow coalition of folks so I realize there are assholes of every race, especially drunk girls from Laos. The will scratch your fucking face off.
  • Like 1