Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

My parents harassed me to attend church it was near Christmas so I decided to go with them.  I wore a Skinny Puppy t-shirt and dyed my hair half-green and half-red for the occasion.   Guess which one of the 3 kids did not get a bible for Christmas and was not asked to come to church again?   I brought a book with me as well, might as well be productive.

You're a gotdam hero, do you realize that?

• Haha 3

I’m sure pastors of churches across Texas did a momentary pivot away from preaching about personal holiness to focus on the abomination occurring at/in the Rio Grande, since it’s clear that vital piety must contain evidence of social holiness

Chuckle. Not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

What you do to the least of my brothers, you do to me...well unless those least are dirty migrants then do whatever you want to them because they bring disease and fentanyl, they should just go back to where they came from.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I’m sure pastors of churches across Texas did a momentary pivot away from preaching about personal holiness to focus on the abomination occurring at/in the Rio Grande, since it’s clear that vital piety must contain evidence of social holiness

Chuckle. Not.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What you do to the least of my brothers, you do to me...well unless those least are dirty migrants then do whatever you want to them because they bring disease and fentanyl. 

"Yes, some of those dirty, dangerous, migrants might even be named "Jesus", and maybe you employ such people to mow your lawns or bang your wives clean your pools, but fear them, for they are not of us."

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What you do to the least of my brothers, you do to me...well unless those least are dirty migrants then do whatever you want to them because they bring disease and fentanyl, they should just go back to where they came from.  

Obligatory

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Satchel said:

I think I have this right. It’s illegal to electrify your fence to keep burglars out, for fear that they be killed. How then, is it legal to entrap migrants in razor wire as they come ashore at Eagle Pass?

Well duh, the latter aren't citizens so they don't have souls. 

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Wait, there's Mexican redheads?  

I forget the case, but its name is used as shorthand for why you can't legally rig a shotgun to blast whoever breaks in your front-door.  You want to have a fence on our side of the River, or armed agents patrolling by boat, or even a wall---that's one thing and probably legal (just kinda stupid waste of money IMHO).  But inserting deadly devices on the literal border line itself, meant to dismember and drown---isn't that just one step short of rigging the shallow parts of the river with mines?  

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I forget the case, but its name is used as shorthand for why you can't legally rig a shotgun to blast whoever breaks in your front-door.  You want to have a fence on our side of the River, or armed agents patrolling by boat, or even a wall---that's one thing and probably legal (just kinda stupid waste of money IMHO).  But inserting deadly devices on the literal border line itself, meant to dismember and drown---isn't that just one step short of rigging the shallow parts of the river with mines?  

Hot Wheels:

giphy.gif

I wonder how the "Build the Wall" supporters are reacting to this. I know that phrase is catchy, but I have to think the allure of razorwire that can kill immigrants is very tempting, albeit not easy to add to a catchphrase for grifting. "Desire for Razorwire"? "Blazers for Razors"? "Good Ol Boys for Death Bouys"? I can't really think of a good one, but it will be interesting to see what Bannon and friends come up with. 

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I wonder how the "Build the Wall" supporters are reacting to this. I know that phrase is catchy, but I have to think the allure of razorwire that can kill immigrants is very tempting, albeit not easy to add to a catchphrase for grifting. "Desire for Razorwire"? "Blazers for Razors"? "Good Ol Boys for Death Bouys"? I can't really think of a good one, but it will be interesting to see what Bannon and friends come up with. 

“No Frowning for Drowning”

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

The case was the state of Illinois v. Kevin McCalister 

Also I'm intrigued but terrified at the thought of a Mexican redhead 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I went out with one 2-3 times back in the day. Green eyed wealthy Mexican Redhead from Mexico City. There was definitely some Irish in the woodpile (Damn catholics). She figured out pretty quick I wouldn't be able to support her in the manner in which she was accustomed. Her dog probably had a higher net worth than I did at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I went out with one 2-3 times back in the day. Green eyed wealthy Mexican Redhead from Mexico City. There was definitely some Irish in the woodpile (Damn catholics). She figured out pretty quick I wouldn't be able to support her in the manner in which she was accustomed. Her dog probably had a higher net worth than I did at the time. 

Probably the same one I went out with a few times.

On 7/22/2023 at 2:38 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott responded to the DOJ preparing lawsuits

Just so I got this straight, Abbott is asserting that Texas has the sovereign (i.e. ultimate or supreme) authority to defend the Texas border, as dictated by serval multi-hundred year old constitutions, but the multidecade crisis was CREATED by Biden's 2 yr old policies??   Really?   If Texas is supremely responsible for its border security doesn't this mean the crisis is in fact the result of his actions/inactions?   You can't have it both ways hot wheels, which is it??  Is Biden or you ultimately responsible? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

home-alone-macaulay-culkin.gif

Edited by C-Man
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Initials were AC.  Let’s see if @Pescado_Rojo and I are Eskimo brothers.

Nope, this one started with an M. I never closed the deal anyway. I put it on a pedestal because she was super hot and that upper class Mexican accent, slight as it was, was sexy as hell and she figured out my financial situation pretty quick. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Nope, this one started with an M. I never closed the deal anyway. I put it on a pedestal because she was super hot and that upper class Mexican accent, slight as it was, was sexy as hell and she figured out my financial situation pretty quick. 

Well, there are at least 2 of the rare species in the wild.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

We know how this will play out.  The U.S. will file suit against Abbott in the Western District.  The case will be assigned to Judge Pitman, who will rule that Abbott's latest bit of border theatrics and cruelty is illegal.  Abbott will appeal to the Fifth Circuit, which will reverse Pitman, and the U.S. Supreme Court will either decline to take the case or affirm the Fifth Circuit.

I honestly don’t know why the admin is bothering w a lawsuit. Send FBI agents to hire contractors to dismantle that shit and go stack it in piles in some state owned parking lot. Let them know anyone trying to put it back will be arrested. If Abbott sues ignore any court order on lack of jurisdiction 

It’s time to stop playing nice

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Just so I got this straight, Abbott is asserting that Texas has the sovereign (i.e. ultimate or supreme) authority to defend the Texas border, as dictated by serval multi-hundred year old constitutions, but the multidecade crisis was CREATED by Biden's 2 yr old policies??   Really?   If Texas is supremely responsible for its border security doesn't this mean the crisis is in fact the result of his actions/inactions?   You can't have it both ways hot wheels, which is it??  Is Biden or you ultimately responsible? 

Texas must issue passports and visas that those of us who live here know nothing about.

I have been thinking about my post upthread, and I have an improvement on it: Federalize the entire Texas National Guard and Air National Guard to address the "border crises".  Have them remove the floats and razor wire and all other non-federal obstructions and store them at Fort Cavazos.  Then set them as guards to prevent any further fuckery by Abbott.  Abbott won't have anyone beyond DPS to execute his demented orders, and he won't be able to get to the removed material.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 7/21/2023 at 8:13 PM, Bama Chick said:

It hurts my heart to know that Texas rejected this man over Abbott the Asshole.

And I have no skin in this game, except as an American citizen who wants better for my Texas friends.

fatty laughing at drowning migrants and their children confirms my reasons for putting on ignore.  pretty vile.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Texas Republicans been in power 30 years but it was two years of Biden in DC that ruined our border. That checks out

Just like blaming the Green New Deal for the Texas power grid failures. And the idiots will buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

bingo, they've been downgraded to sub humans.

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I have been thinking about my post upthread, and I have an improvement on it: Federalize the entire Texas National Guard and Air National Guard to address the "border crises".  Have them remove the floats and razor wire and all other non-federal obstructions and store them at Fort Cavazos.  Then set them as guards to prevent any further fuckery by Abbott.  Abbott won't have anyone beyond DPS to execute his demented orders, and he won't be able to get to the removed material.

All of Abbott's machinations to drum up this "emergency" has infused a lot of cash into the border economy.   Whatever Biden does needs to be even more generous with the cash inflow into that area to offset any earnings loss.   I could see some of these folks running some sort of onboarding center, where they get paid to help weed through the migrants and get them in the right lines of deportation or processing,       We all know the system is broken, but Biden just coming in and overpowering Abbott will just lose the Dems more votes.  Votes that have been bought with taxpayer money, both federal and state.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

like, i want to fight this man in a wheelchair. i don't even care if it's a fair fight. 

what has he become or was he always this way?

Don Huffines broke him. He wasn't anywhere close to this bad before that stupid manlet entered the gubernatorial race.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

like, i want to fight this man in a wheelchair. i don't even care if it's a fair fight. 

what has he become or was he always this way?

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Don Huffines broke him. He wasn't anywhere close to this bad before that stupid manlet entered the gubernatorial race.

He's running for president (but really the VP spot or at least a cabinet post). That's all this is about. He needs headlines, and he's hoping the Biden admin. gives it to him. He wants Biden to send in troops or anything else that makes this a multi-day, above-the-fold, "BREAKING NEWS" story. The only way to get attention with Trump and Desantis dominating the horserace news is something spectacular.

Whether he every had a moral center is now a closed question. It was never there. He's driven purely by ambition. The GOP base rewards these people and punishes those who signal their interested in things like the common good, helping people (even if it's Republican voters, themselves) or good government. Abbott is going where the political winds dictate, which is in no way an excuse. The correct move, for anyone similarly situated who has any sense of decency, is to govern effectively and accept that you're not likely to make the jump to the federal executive.

Of course, you could write the above about most Republicans these days. If you are succeeding in the GOP right now at the state or national levels, you are a complete piece of shit, and probably always were.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1