Why I voted the way I did

immamac

I voted in Maryland in one of the bluest minority majority CD in the entire country.  I have no idea who the GOP candidates even are down ballot (in many cases there aren't GOP candidates for school board or country council races) , there are no Senate races. and the Legislature and governor are not up until 2022. Straight blue ticket.  The only hard part was a ballot question about expanding gambling obstentible to create more state education revenue.  I personally believe gambling should be legal, but I also don't believe the state should be promoting such a destructive and addictive vice. Also, The first time any of those dollars actually make it to a school instead of general revenue will be, well, the first time. So I voted no. 

Yes on all my bond measures except for more county buildings.  I had jury duty two years ago and the PG County courthouse is beautiful, no need to generate Wall Street fees borrowing there.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I voted because the party that enabled, or at best stood by silently, while children were separated from their parents needs to be thoroughly shamed.

I'm in NJ, in one of the bluest districts in the country, with a Dem Congressman who inherited his seat from his father.  Local officials are all Dem, and mostly not particularly inspiring.  In the past, I always threw protest votes out there against these people, while voting Democratic at the top of the ticket.   But this time, I voted straight ticket Democratic.  Also to legalize pot.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I haven't voted yet, will next week.

I will be voting straight ticket Dem for the first time in my life and doing it with joy. I can't wait to get rid of the assholes in the party that I supported for so many years - man was I a fool.

I will vote FOR both Austin propositions, because I think spending a few hundred extra bucks a year on infrastructure is a good investment even though I'm never impressed with the city's government. In the end it's worth it even if they won't spend it in the best way possible.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Am in Colorado.

• For Biden (D): An America shaped by Trump and his ideology is not where I want to live
  • For Hickenlooper (D):  An America shaped by Trump and his ideology is not where I want to live
  • For every other (D) on my ballot:  An America shaped by Trump and his ideology is not where I want to live
  • I did not vote in any races where the Rs were running unopposed.  When faced with a GOP or Libertarian choice, I voted Libertarian.
  • For judges up for renewal, I voted yes for all.
  • Ballot measures: Voted to preserve all the tax related things that keep Colorado running as is.  I think its a pretty damn well-run state.  I voted to allow an expansion of gambling in some areas that have it already, against reintroduction of wolves because they are moving into the state from the NW already, against an abortion limitation, and against a requirement for electors to follow the national public vote as I think they should vote the interests of the majority of Coloradans and not the majority of the rest of the nation.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

2) I don't trust Rs on the environment.

This is maybe my number one issue and they have been enemies for a long time.  I have voted D for president in every election I've been able, save my first eligible year in 2000, where I didn't vote.  I would say I'm very socially liberal, but would like some thought towards not spending like a drunken sailor.  Sadly, both parties suck at this, but at least Dems aren't outright hypocrites about it.  

Oh yeah, and the GOP has become a party of pure evil.  I think they've been on that path for the past 30 years or so, but now it has come to fruition and does not hide in the shadows anymore.  Destroy them all.  Every.  Last.  One.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I felt pressured by Surly...  lolz.

Voted for a woman for POTUS for the first time.  Let's be real, the candidates are total shit, and I don't dig the "Hooray for my team" style tactics.  Regardless of who wins, life will go on.  Solutions come from citizens, not the fucking President.  Not looking forward to the tax bill, should Biden win, but oh fucking well.  I deserve to be punished, I reckon.  What was I thinking by earning a fucking living?  I need to help those who are less responsible to ease my conscience.

It's only a matter of time before Texas turns blue.  The people moving here are dead-set on turning it into the hellholes from whence they came.  Again, I need to be punished for being a productive citizen.   It's coming.  Still voted for Cornyn.

Voted against a bond issue in Amarillo regarding the civic center.  Need to take another cut at it.  Also not sure we need it right now with businesses being shut down.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Voted for a woman for POTUS for the first time.  Let's be real, the candidates are total shit, and I don't dig the "Hooray for my team" style tactics.  Regardless of who wins, life will go on.  Solutions come from citizens, not the fucking President.  Not looking forward to the tax bill, should Biden win, but oh fucking well.  I deserve to be punished, I reckon.  What was I thinking by earning a fucking living?  I need to help those who are less responsible to ease my conscience.

It's only a matter of time before Texas turns blue.  The people moving here are dead-set on turning it into the hellholes from whence they came.  Again, I need to be punished for being a productive citizen.   It's coming.  Still voted for Cornyn.

Voted against a bond issue in Amarillo regarding the civic center.  Need to take another cut at it.  Also not sure we need it right now with businesses being shut down.

You know, I get that paying taxes sucks, especially when you feel you've worked hard for that money.  But good god man.  Always the victim.

56f5944c-51cc-4c6a-8349-6eb4f6501902_tex

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

From Georgia, straight D and abstained on any unopposed Rs. At best, running as an R calls your judgment into question. More often, it also calls into question your character and acceptance of an objective reality, even at the local level. In a normal world, I’d be very slightly right of center.

I voted for the initiatives and amendments because they were really sensible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slorch said:

It's only a matter of time before Texas turns blue.  The people moving here are dead-set on turning it into the hellholes from whence they came.  Again, I need to be punished for being a productive citizen.   It's coming.

This is the closest to human I've read of a post from you--semi-compassionate, almost repentant, near responsible, your spritzing generosity warms the heart.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I must have missed all those years the democrats cut defense spending to $0.

I know it’s snark, but cutting in half doesn’t mean the programs divide that remaining money up. When you cut money the DoD kills contracts, which kills jobs. Voting D puts my job on the block because at that point you’re waiting to see which programs have the strongest backers in congress. It’s one of the shitty both sides things that happens with budget. Good programs may die because a shitty program has a stronger rep on a committee, or the sub has stronger lobbyists. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I voted D or D endorsed in every race because the Republican Party must be ground into dust for enabling this shit. 

This. There are other reasons to vote for individual candidates, but this is the reason to vote straight ticket D. The Republican party must face a reckoning and that won't happen if they aren't mudholed. It's that simple. America needs to make clear that, no matter what other issues and disagreements we have among ourselves, there is no fucking room whatsoever for racism or fascism.

Anyone who opposes fascism needs to commit themselves to never voting Republican for at least the next 20 years. Will the Democratic party have its own problems? Of course. If every decent person starts voting Democrat there's going to be a ton of disagreement inside the party. That's fine. If you don't like a particular Dem, primary them.  But don't ever vote for a Republican so long as the party remotely resembles what it currently is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You know, I get that paying taxes sucks, especially when you feel you've worked hard for that money.  But good god man.  Always the victim.

Victim yes.  But he's unbelievably resilient.  Has an uncanny knack for dusting himself off in face of constant headwinds. 

And yes, pulling himself up by his bootstraps. 

55 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I voted D or D endorsed in every race because the Republican Party must be ground into dust for enabling this shit. 

Not much else to say. It goes beyond political ideology. The number of republicans that voiced opposition to the  shitstain that leads the GOP was negligible, so I won't even consider voting R til the entire party is decimated and rebuilt.  The democrats have their fair share of morons, and I disagree with a fair number of their positions, but we can deal with that after every one of the current republican cocksuckers is out of work.

Also, the republican needs to stop declaring itself a proxy for the religious right. I am all for the right of individuals to pursue their own religious beliefs, but I don't give a fuck what the bible says about anything relating to public policy decisions that affect us all. Parading Jerry Falwell Jr around on stage, while he spends his spare time masturbating  in the closet watching his wife get plowed is a perfect representation of how Trump cucked the entire goddamn party. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Straight D. The republican party these days, and in my area in particular, have no redeeming values and literally nothing that appeals to me. Case in point. A friend of mine ran for my state senate district as a republican. His primary opponent sent letters smearing him for being friends with people like me (gasp...minorities and libruls). Her main selling point was that she attended the Tulsa trump rally. She beat him by a pretty healthy margin in the primary. I probably would not have voted for him in the general because the democrat is a school teacher who has a lot to offer and I think will do a great job, but he would have at least been a level headed republican. And he lost his primary, because the party and its voters are sick.

Edited by 'stache

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wouldn't have pegged you for Surly 1%.  Also, I'm sorry you are required to live in Amarillo.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

The GOP is full of terrible people and a death cult. Not a hard decision. 

I’ll go one further a say the conservative movement, including so called libertarians, in my lifetime were nothing but snake oil selling whores for power.  All their ideas have proven to be terrible and 99% of the time are implemented to hurt the poor people while advantaging the people who already have everything. States rights is just code for protecting oppression exercised by the state and fiscal conservatism is just an excuse to not invest in healthcare and education.  

They never gave a shit about any of it but they insist on continuing the charade because it’s the only thing that keeps the democrats from winning elections and America is now a failed state because of it.

Never voting Republican again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Conservatism needs to exist and be an oppositional force against unchecked liberalism and vice versa.  I hope we have a viable conservative party in the future that does not come laced with racism, white nationalism, anti-intellectualism, anti-science and so forth.  A conservative party that does not distort reality for political expedience.  I would love to have a choice between candidates that have different ideas for how to handle things like global pandemics, climate change, police brutality, etc...  Instead, I have the choice between a liberal view of how to handle these problems and the denial that these problems even exist.

My hope is that the GOP gets throttled so badly in this election that they are faced with irrelevance if they do not significantly correct their course.

I used to subscribe to this idea but with the way things are going, the neoliberal center is doing a good enough job of keeping the left in check and we are currently so far to the right that I can’t see anyone on the left that scares me.  Like imagine being terrified of AOC while Donald Trump is president, it is objectively insane. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Preface: I am extremely socially liberal, moreso than many liberals.  But I agree with the right wing talking points on things like fiscal conservatism and state's rights over large federal government (I do wish they'd actually give a shit about these things instead of just talking about them, but that's another conversation).  I'd listen to a moderate Republican who didn't want to strike down women's right to govern the insides of their own bodies, if such a Republican existed.  The point of all of this is that I'm not a straight-line liberal.  Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but not a libertarian.  I'm a man without a party.

But I did vote straight Dem all the way down.  The current version of the Republican Party needs to be burned to the ground.  It will be a very long time before I even consider voting for a Republican after what they've done over the last several years, and I mean since the birth of the Tea Party.  Rebrand or die, Republicans.  And go find your moral compass, your conscience, and your soul.

I'm open to arguments that the federal government tries to do too much and that state and local governments should be better funded and be doing more. But the republican party in my lifetime has shown zero interest in that, they just spew the words "big government" over and over and then do nothing but push for tax cuts while conveniently doing nothing to cut spending. I'd support federal tax cuts if it meant shifting more responsibilities to state and local governments which could step in to take that revenue, but local republicans are also always talking about tax cuts. There is zero intellectual honestly coming from republicans these days, just buzz words, smears on the opposition, and inaction. Again, literally nothing about the party appeals to me.

31 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Preface: I am extremely socially liberal, moreso than many liberals.  But I agree with the right wing talking points on things like fiscal conservatism and state's rights over large federal government (I do wish they'd actually give a shit about these things instead of just talking about them, but that's another conversation).  I'd listen to a moderate Republican who didn't want to strike down women's right to govern the insides of their own bodies, if such a Republican existed.  The point of all of this is that I'm not a straight-line liberal.  Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but not a libertarian.  I'm a man without a party.

This right here.

42 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but not a libertarian.  I'm a man without a party.

This seems like such a winning formula for someone to use to destroy the current parties because I feel like this represents the views of 99% of the people under the age of 55. 

I'm voting for TexArcher 2024. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Drew said:

Jeez I hope nobody admits to voting for any high office R's in this thread.  Pretty clear the tide.

Pretty sure the Surly Republicans are all hiding in Daily Texan; they know if they come in here they'll get dismantled and called out for covering for the worst human being to ever hold the presidency.

• Like 2