Things the Supreme Court will ruin - 2020 edition

immamac

We could start here and end with where we can expect this steady march towards outright rejection of American values/beliefs/ideals to go in the next week

image.thumb.png.190475d7d3f2af09fa379287f13684cb.png

if this makes your little smoky poke out congrats on being an unamerican piece of shit. the guys that stormed Normandy beach were antifascists and they would be ashamed of what you've done with their sacrifice

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, naija said:

If things hold, in about ~5-10 years, the highest Court in the land will be firmly against the will/wishes of the majority by a solid margin. Nothing good comes from that sort of situation

I hate to break this news to you and you might want to sit down first but...the Supreme Court has almost always been firmly against the will of the majority.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

1. Ballot Challenges

2. ACA

3. Marriage Equality 

4. Roe v Wade 

5. Internet Neutrality 

6. Environmental Regulations 

7. Corporate Accountability 

the list is limitless

Some how some way it will help Donal Trump avoid prosecution for something somewhere.  You all can fill in the laws and cases that will be used to do this.

I actually don’t think they’ll make too many huge changes in the coming years. However there’s no way they will allow Trump to lose this year. It’s a lock that virtually all mail in ballots will be tossed. I have no idea why people thought that was a good way to vote this year.

The only question is will king dipshit be around to send everything he wants done to the courts or will we actually have an adult in the White House?

if we have king dipshit, everything is a possibility. We probably won’t have fair elections anymore, gay rights, extreme gerrymandering will be celebrated, Obamacare will be nuked, gay rights won’t be a thing.  The country would probably go backwards 30-40 years before we even get out of this pandemic.

with Biden, it would be a slow burn, but I’d hope the democrats nuke the filibuster so that they can make some real changes to offset the damage of this psycho court.

• Hook 'Em 1

States no longer can run their own elections.

A President can indeed pardon himself.

The Emoluments clause is unconstitutional.

The US Government cannot provide medical care

The postal service is illegal

Public schools can now provide a religion-based education

Backdoors to encryption

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I actually don’t think they’ll make too many huge changes in the coming years. However there’s no way they will allow Trump to lose this year. It’s a lock that virtually all mail in ballots will be tossed. I have no idea why people thought that was a good way to vote this year.

You guys are way too worried about it.  He can’t rig or steal the election with the entire world watching. There would be violent repercussions.... quite possibly a civil war. Heck.... if he does steal or rig it, I would root for a civil war or some kind of violent uprising. That’s some 3rd world / dictator type shit that Trump and the GOP should never be able to do or get away with.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

States no longer can run their own elections.

A President can indeed pardon himself.

The Emoluments clause is unconstitutional.

The US Government cannot provide medical care

The postal service is illegal

Public schools can now provide a religion-based education

Backdoors to encryption

In all seriousness, this is the #1 answer and biggest problem. The right to vote secures all other rights and 4 GOP justices just a couple of days ago announced that they were perfectly fine overriding state election law to impose their desired “interpretation” of state election laws. Not even the majority in Bush v Gore was willing to go that far, and they were happy to steal an election. 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As time goes on it will be interesting to see how RBG’s legacy will be perceived. Her selfishness and refusal to step down as an 80 year old cancer survivor with a democratic president/senate may very well set the country back decades. 

also all those blacks for moving furtively, and lets not forget to judge the women who should've dressed differently and kept their mouths shut. really caused a lot of pain and suffering.

• Hook 'Em 1

Once the first major change to our country occurs, sending rose v wade back as state law etc, the democrats will either set term limits retroactively, expand the size of the court to 11 or both. 

I think they will also grant statehood to 2 territories, if not more so the Senate imbalance is more of an even playing field. As long as the court keeps their shit to themselves there will not be any changes.

Basically what I'm saying is "I fucking dare you."

6 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Once the first major change to our country occurs, sending rose v wade back as state law etc, the democrats will either set term limits retroactively, expand the size of the court to 11 or both. 

I think they will also grant statehood to 2 territories, if not more so the Senate imbalance is more of an even playing field. As long as the court keeps their shit to themselves there will not be any changes.

Basically what I'm saying is "I fucking dare you."

If you’re gonna dare someone, don’t threaten them with something they’d be ok with. Expanding SCOTUS by 2 would leave it in GOP hands. We need to go full Sherman’s march on them, not some pussy “we’ll keep letting you have minority control of everything just slightly less!” nonsense.

Add 20 seats, not 2.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My Grandpa turned 99 in September. He fought in the battle of the bulge and always votes Republican.

Until this year. He thinks this is the most important election of his life. 

Your Grandpa is a true American hero. God bless him!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

They will finally grant certiorari in the case of Tastes Great v. Less Filling, a matter which had previously been remanded to the states.

That is already settled law. Less Filling won because Tastes Great was factually incorrect. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As time goes on it will be interesting to see how RBG’s legacy will be perceived. Her selfishness and refusal to step down as an 80 year old cancer survivor with a democratic president/senate may very well set the country back decades. 

She tried so hard to make it apolitical, that she ultimately made it even more political. Republicans have no such qualms. Ask Kennedy. 

I wish everyone would play the work together game. But the GOP doesn't. Nor do their judges. Dems need to nut up. If they get the Senate and Presidency, they need to ram their dick down the GOPs throat in the same way the GOP does it. Without compromise. Breyer is a spry 82, but he should step down if Biden wins, and Biden should nominate someone in their 20s. Breyer should do that even while the Dems pack the courts. 

And now that I jinxed him, Breyer will probably die tomorrow. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

RBG wasn't expecting trump/russia/comey to steal an election from Hillary.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

RBG wasn't expecting trump/russia/comey to steal an election from Hillary.

Also, she never really wanted to retire. She was always going to work until she died in spite of her brief flirtation with retirement. She happened to die when Trump was President. 

She moved us forward. That is her legacy. Others may move us backward after her, but that is their legacy, not hers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

1. Ballot Challenges

2. ACA

3. Marriage Equality 

4. Roe v Wade 

5. Internet Neutrality 

6. Environmental Regulations 

7. Corporate Accountability 

the list is limitless

I was wrong, 

replace Roe v. Wade with Marriage Equality

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/misissippi-abortion-ban-supreme-court-considering-review/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=102921487

In Fitch's initial July request that the Supreme Court review the 15-week ban, he posed the question of "whether all pre-viability prohibitions on elective abortions are unconstitutional," a direct challenge to the core finding of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court case that nationally legalized abortion prior to fetal viability, which generally happens around 24 weeks into a pregnancy.

"Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban defies nearly fifty years of Supreme Court precedent," said Hillary Schneller, the staff attorney at the Center for Reproductive Rights challenging the state law, in an email to CBS News. "Mississippi's abortion ban, by definition, is a complete and insurmountable obstacle for pregnant people seeking abortion care after 15 weeks."

Bye bye Roe

47 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What do we think the odds are of Biden actually packing the court?  I was surprised that it was as easy as it was but do we think he'll actually go through with it?

Democrats have received no respect from republicans the last 10 years or so. If we win big and get the trifecta, I fully expect us to put our dick down the GOPs throats.

• Hook 'Em 1