the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

24 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

To take another example, Powell has stated that she could “hardly wait to put forth all the evidence . . . on Dominion, starting with the fact it was created to produce altered voting results in Venezuela for Hugo Chávez.”

None of what she's been saying could be construed as "opinion" even in the colloquial sense, much less legal sense. Powell straight up fucking lied through her teeth. She asserted baseless speculation as though it were a matter of fact. That's lying; not opinion. Down here in Texas, we call that "talking out of your ass."

I left my favorite up, the one where she even used the word "fact" to describe what she was claiming.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I left my favorite up, the one where she even used the word "fact" to describe what she was claiming.

I seriously don't even know what normal human brain would be unable to reconcile the contradiction. "Yeah I said fact, but it was my opinion."

So, one of the reasons I am still on FB (beside the ordinary innocent ones, like keeping up with some friends and family and such) is so I can actually see what the insane Trumpkins think.

You know Lindell's little multi-day "symposium," which was a complete disaster, with no actual facts or evidence produced?  Here's how the Trumpkins think that went.  Again, they saw the EXACT same moonbattery we saw, and this is their conclusion:

It was a 3 day presentation of all the evidence re 2020 election.
Actual cyber data and proof that China was hacking machines (dominion and the others 2 as well) that was swapping votes.
Real evidence. IP addresses and locations along with number of votes flipped.
Proof that Dominion accessed machines and deleted files after the election which is illegal.
There was so much, hard to share here.
Sec of state of CO… DIRTY!
Much of the hack was done and election officials didn’t even know…
Was great stuff!
Calling for full forensic audits in all 50 states.
They proved China hacked all states, not just swing states.

50 states were represented with legislatures in attendance…
The call to action of the Symposium was “FULL FORENSIC AUDITS IN ALL 50 STATES”.
The Symposium was teaching the legislatures how to talk about it and how to go back and fight for their state’s audit.
These audits are our right to ensure our votes count.
There is a CLEAR breach of confidence that our votes are in question.
That there is enough to get the audits going and done.
If there is nothing wrong… then great, at least confidence is restored and we can move on.
I mean, we still must remove machines from our election processes… must go to serialized water marked secure paper ballots.
At a min, we must get machines out of election process.
Tina Peters of Mesa County, CO is one that has been calling for full forensic audit in her county…
Reports were that Her office just got raided this week and one of her employees, while attending the symposium…
With his 4 children in home, I think like 10:30 pm…
His house was just raided the other day.
We MUST prioritize the integrity of our future elections!!!
This a non- partisan issue!!!!
We must be together on this!
But, full forensic audits in all 50 states!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:45 PM, TwiceHorn said:

It could be anything by now.  The guy is, unfortunately, a hardshell alcoholic.  God only knows what other substances he may have gotten into, or if he is at the stage at which Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome, also felicitously known as "wet brain," kicks in.

In addition to general cognitive and physical impairment, "confabulation," or the remembering of fictitious events as real, is a major symptom.

Don't fuck around too much with alcohol.  If you do fuck around and start to find out, get help.  It's right here on the board.

As contemptible as some of the stuff he has said may be, he should be an object of pity.

Nah, I been drinkin’ 45 years. 

I ain’t hooked. 

11 hours ago, hpslugga said:

In all seriousness, I was especially impressed and even moved by this portion:

"To take one example, Powell has stated publicly that she has “evidence from [the] mouth of the guy who founded [Dominion] admit[ting that] he can change a million votes, no problem at all.” She told audiences that she would “tweet out the video.” These statements are either true or not; either Powell has a video depicting the founder of Dominion saying he can “change a million votes,” or she does not.

To take another example, Powell has stated that she could “hardly wait to put forth all the evidence . . . on Dominion, starting with the fact it was created to produce altered voting results in Venezuela for Hugo Chávez.” Again, this statement is either true or it is not; either Dominion was created to produce altered voting results in Venezuela for Hugo Chávez or (as Dominion alleges) it was not.

Take a few more examples. Powell has stated publicly that Dominion “flipped,” “weighted,” and “injected” votes during the 2020 election; either Dominion did so or (as Dominion alleges) it did not. Powell has claimed that state officials received kickbacks in exchange for using Dominion machines; either state officials received such kickbacks or (as Dominion alleges) they did not. All of these statements, and many others alleged in Dominion’s Complaint, “expressed or implied a verifiably false fact” about Dominion."

It sucks to say this, but this was actually a breath of fresh air. We, as a society, have become so severely over-reliant on the word "opinion" to the point that we don't even fucking know what it is anymore. Very pleased to see this judge knows his ass from a hole in the ground on that subject because that's exactly what I was saying at the very beginning of this: 

None of what she's been saying could be construed as "opinion" even in the colloquial sense, much less legal sense. Powell straight up fucking lied through her teeth. She asserted baseless speculation as though it were a matter of fact. That's lying; not opinion. Down here in Texas, we call that "talking out of your ass."

Well, and what's especially nice is that the judge basically set up a half dozen or so acts of defamation, proof of any one of which will sustain liability for Powellco.  They're not going to be able to muster credible proof on any of those, no matter how much discovery or litigation mumbo jumbo gets spewed.

It's a virtual roadmap to victory for Dominion.  Very possibly by summary judgment.

Lawyers generally grok the difference between fact and opinion, some maybe more than others.  The problem is that these loonbags spewed so much shit, culling through it and finding the above things and similar can be fairly onerous.  And sometimes, using "context," fact can be recast as opinion, and vice-versa.  It's quite pleasing that the judge wasn't swayed by any of that.

To successfully move for summary judgment, which I think the judge shows amenability to here, there's going to have to be several months, maybe a year or so of discovery.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, and what's especially nice is that the judge basically set up a half dozen or so acts of defamation, proof of any one of which will sustain liability for Powellco.  They're not going to be able to muster credible proof on any of those, no matter how much discovery or litigation mumbo jumbo gets spewed.

It's a virtual roadmap to victory for Dominion.  Very possibly by summary judgment.

Lawyers generally grok the difference between fact and opinion, some maybe more than others.  The problem is that these loonbags spewed so much shit, culling through it and finding the above things and similar can be fairly onerous.  And sometimes, using "context," fact can be recast as opinion, and vice-versa.  It's quite pleasing that the judge wasn't swayed by any of that.

That actually was a common theme in the litigation efforts to begin with, and it’s what conservatives/republicans/right wingers cannot for the life of them understand. All that stuff about “these loonbags spewed so much shit” is true but it’s only true within their little cult. Once they start stepping outside of their little ghetto, they have to trade in reality, and that’s not something they’ve ever been terribly good at. It’s one thing to talk inside the cult. It’s quite another when you take it out to the general public, and it’s just open season on what hypocrites, liars and frauds those failures really are. That’s why they’ve been getting rag-dolled over and over in courts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, one of the reasons I am still on FB (beside the ordinary innocent ones, like keeping up with some friends and family and such) is so I can actually see what the insane Trumpkins think.

You know Lindell's little multi-day "symposium," which was a complete disaster, with no actual facts or evidence produced?  Here's how the Trumpkins think that went.  Again, they saw the EXACT same moonbattery we saw, and this is their conclusion:

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

That actually was a common theme in the litigation efforts to begin with, and it’s what conservatives/republicans/right wingers cannot for the life of them understand. All that stuff about “these loonbags spewed so much shit” is true but it’s only true within their little cult. Once they start stepping outside of their little ghetto, they have to trade in reality, and that’s not something they’ve ever been terribly good at. It’s one thing to talk inside the cult. It’s quite another when you take it out to the general public, and it’s just open season on what hypocrites, liars and frauds those failures really are. That’s why they’ve been getting rag-dolled over and over in courts. 

Definitely.

Sometimes, though, in the arena of political speech, you see some pretty surprising outcomes, even for those that are familiar with First Amendment limitations on defamation claims.  But that's usually in the context of someone only mildly outrageous, like Tucker Carlson, and also have at least some connection to "the press."  Rather than the complete moonbattery that these Trumpkins have been tossing out.

According to the report, his involvement in the Paxton suit led his partners to dump him.

"Shortly after he signed on to help Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's failed bid to overturn the 2020 election at the Supreme Court, the firm changed its name and registered a new website—without Olsen's name in the URL—on Feb. 24. Now, where Olsen's bio used to be, a disclaimer says, 'Kurt Olsen is not affiliated in any way with Klafter Lesser LLP,'" the report states adding that no one at the firm was willing to talk about him when contacted.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, TwiceHorn said:

To successfully move for summary judgment, which I think the judge shows amenability to here, there's going to have to be several months, maybe a year or so of discovery.

Your honor, if I may…thank you. 

when I said this was a fact, that was my opinion. I gave my opinion that I believed something to be a fact. 

So if it’s true and is a fact, then I was right and there’s no injury. 
if it’s false, then it is by default my opinion, and therefore no injury. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

My God, his grifting lawyers are gonna bleed that mark dry. I’m thinking the way we will know he is broke, is right about then the denial of cert is issued.

A Washington Post correspondent published an article recently along these lines:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/10/con-is-winding-down/

Spoiler

Of course, it would also be easy for Lindell’s team to present the raw data in a format that people at the symposium could examine. Graham says they were told it was in a “proprietary BLX/PLX format,” maybe. So the gibberish above might be some kind of encoding, like some sort of compression. But then, you don’t convert that to rich-text format or identify it as an .RTF file. You share the compressed file and say it’s a compressed file. (Converting the text above to a compressed file did not make it accessible, by the way. Nor did converting it to a PDF, a JPEG or a PNG.) If you are trying to prove something, you prove it.

But what if you’re not trying to prove it? What if you’re trying to make some cash and you stumbled onto a big, juicy mark? What if there were a millionaire desperate to prove something, a millionaire who’s not exactly an Internet savant but one willing to hand over loads of cash for data you made up — as some of the data previously released by Lindell pretty obviously was? For a while, you’re skating, cashing checks and sending along reports on occasion. Eventually, though, you get closer and closer to the point at which you need to actually turn over your work.

This is how all cons end. Things stretch and stretch and stretch until: snap. So instead of presenting your data, you encode it and obfuscate it and promise that there’s actually something there, but wait, hmm, that is weird, let me see what’s happening. Instead you say things like that there was a medical emergency that slowed things down and just ask everyone to stick with you for a moment. It’s just buying time — like Trump calling senators on Jan. 6 — hoping that if another hour or so passes, you can somehow regain control.

For a long time, I couldn’t figure out why Lindell was stretching things out the way he is. I believe that he’s being taken for a ride, though perhaps unintentionally. (I think Douglas Frank believes he’s stumbled onto a secret conspiracy, for example, though he obviously hasn’t.) But why is he letting the fraud keep going? Why’s he participating in stretching it out?

Watching the symposium live stream Tuesday morning, I think I figured it out. The start of the event was delayed by technological problems, problems Lindell claimed were a function of his bespoke social media site being “hacked.” This was the refrain: He’d done everything right but hackers kept picking apart his site’s defenses. He said the same thing when his site first launched and quickly got flooded. He also said Tuesday morning that his plane had trouble landing Monday night, hinting at a conspiracy aimed at silencing him.

In other words, this seems very much like a guy who’s primed to believe fairly far-flung excuses for why bad things happen. The kind of guy who, when told that the data will be ready in a month, waits patiently for the month to pass. Maybe he’s something more sinister, engaged in an effort to willfully delude America, but observing him over time makes it seem more like he’s the mark than the hustler.

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

@Francisco 2.0 dude you left out that lead in gold!

Allow me to present to you the evidence that China stole the 2020 election. Please sit down; I don’t want you to be injured when you faint.

So: voilà.

imrs.jpeg

It's really perfect for them.

"I don't understand it.  But then again, I don't understand hardly anything that's going on in the world around me, so I'll just accept the explanation of somone I like, without regard to their expertise."

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's really perfect for them.

"I don't understand it.  But then again, I don't understand hardly anything that's going on in the world around me, so I'll just accept the explanation of somone I like, without regard to their expertise."

It worked for Rush Limbaugh.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

They also have to pay the Defendants' attorneys fees, jointly and severally.  That's going to amount to several hundred thousand, I'm quite sure.

Absolutely. I guarantee they will have more litigation disputing the fees, but judging by the 110 page opinion, this Court won’t be very lenient 

• Like 1

Catching up in this thread...  Who else pines for the days when hpslugga was just a struggling GA/Asst coach working his way up the college football ladder  who regaled us with Coach Landry's rating of who won the offensive, defensive and special teams facets of the game rather than a well versed biographer of the HP Presbyterian church and political commentator?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So are any of these fuck sticks going to have meaningful consequences?  That’s all I care about. I don’t mean a couple of months in jail or disbarred in a county. I mean are any of their lives going to be irreparably broken?  That is what they deserve. If not, then this is all meaningless. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Catching up in this thread...  Who else pines for the days when hpslugga was just a struggling GA/Asst coach working his way up the college football ladder  who regaled us with Coach Landry's rating of who won the offensive, defensive and special teams facets of the game rather than a well versed biographer of the HP Presbyterian church and political commentator?

Yeah, I need some Mouse Davis takes up in this mug

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So are any of these fuck sticks going to have meaningful consequences?  That’s all I care about. I don’t mean a couple of months in jail or disbarred in a county. I mean are any of their lives going to be irreparably broken?  That is what they deserve. If not, then this is all meaningless. 

I am not aware of anything that any of them face that involves jail time.

They're on the hook for a substantial sum of money, and, while they can't be completely forced to pay it, they will need to pay it to have any hope of preserving their bar credentials intact.

And that doesn't include the attorneys fees they will spend in coming months appealing and defending themselves in other sanctions motions and the Dominion suits.  The major players are looking at high six figures, easily, in attorneys fees before sanctions and damages awards.

They are facing discipline from their respective state bars (not counties) and if one state disbars them, they will be disbarred in all in which they are licensed under the principle of reciprocal discipline.

As lawyers, they're pretty much fucked already, except for future Trumpian engagements, which we know don't pay well.  However, they are probably all going to be able to continue the grift one way or another and become some type of martyrs to the cause.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They're on the hook for a substantial sum of money, and, while they can't be completely forced to pay it, they will need to pay it to have any hope of preserving their bar credentials intact.

And that doesn't include the attorneys fees they will spend in coming months appealing and defending themselves in other sanctions motions and the Dominion suits.  The major players are looking at high six figures, easily, in attorneys fees before sanctions and damages awards.

They are facing discipline from their respective state bars (not counties) and if one state disbars them, they will be disbarred in all in which they are licensed under the principle of reciprocal discipline.

As lawyers, they're pretty much fucked already, except for future Trumpian engagements, which we know don't pay well.  However, they are probably all going to be able to continue the grift one way or another and become some type of martyrs to the cause.

I bet they're all "working" on books right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep. No chance in fucking hell that they get to continue practicing law absent paying those fines.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh I can almost literally guarantee they'll be getting book deals. Likely won't last for long as their base audience 1) doesn't read very well unless there are funny pictures and pop ups in the books and 2) will likely die out due to COVID-19 stupidity (coupled with old age and/or obesity), but that's their next grift stop. 

On 8/20/2021 at 5:30 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

No words.

You're looking at Donald Trump 2.0.

He talks to people in an effective, conversational way. He's an outsider. He's a "successful" business man. He's close to the original Donald J. Trump.

He. Will. Say. Anything.

I'm not joking. If he stays out of jail, he will make a fortune off of this. He may be the latest guy to seize the reins of the hate engine/criminal operation created by the GOP.

I'm not predicting he'll get elected. I'm not really predicting anything. I'm just opining about what I see.

Who ever thought Trump would actually be president and command a following of around 70 million voters, more than half of whom are dead-enders?

Not me. I found him absurd and laughable. I was way off.

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're looking at Donald Trump 2.0.

He talks to people in an effective, conversational way. He's an outsider. He's a "successful" business man. He's close to the original Donald J. Trump.

He. Will. Say. Anything.

I'm not joking. If he stays out of jail, he will make a fortune off of this. He may be the latest guy to seize the reins of the hate engine/criminal operation created by the GOP.

I'm not predicting he'll get elected. I'm not really predicting anything. I'm just opining about what I see.

Who ever thought Trump would actually be president and command a following of around 70 million voters, more than half of whom are dead-enders?

Not me. I found him absurd and laughable. I was way off.

Is he going to run against Hillary Clinton?

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Is he going to run against Hillary Clinton?

Trump got way more votes running against Biden than he did against Hillary Clinton.

The GOPs that have stuck to the playbook of believing the Dems mean to install a fascist dictator who will rule through communism, will always have trouble abandoning the belief that they aren't betraying the country by not voting GOP.

Again, I'm not predicting anything. I'm always wrong.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is absolutely imperative that all of these assholes get disbarred and their licenses to practice law revoked. And that includes anyone who signed on as counsel to these bogus lawsuits. A message must be sent. 

Let the bankruptcy courts deal with the rest of it.