Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

I have three nieces, one is studying to be a PA, the other 2 in college/grad school. I hope they all get the fuck out of this or any other red state. Hell, I hope my son ends up elsewhere too so if he knocks a chick up, they aren't beholden to become teen parents if she doesn't want to go that route. Fuck. Shit affects everyone, not just women of childbearing age.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I have three nieces, one is studying to be a PA, the other 2 in college/grad school. I hope they all get the fuck out of this or any other red state. Hell, I hope my son ends up elsewhere too so if he knocks a chick up, they aren't beholden to become teen parents if she doesn't want to go that route. Fuck. Shit affects everyone, not just women of childbearing age.

I've got 16 year old twins.  All of our early college-planning-is-coming conversations have included a very strong suggestion that they look at schools in states with better climate and political futures.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Republicans are all about promoting the freedom from choice. It infects everything they do.

It’s is why the cling to religious books and wave flags, to distract you from their anti-American values.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

How can IVF be evil, when many top Republicans have used IVF to conceive ?

I wish our maga qgp christian nationalist posters had the balls to post and explain this 

There still are some Catholics who think it’s messing with God’s will. 

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

My wife and I have struggled with “unexplained infertility” for several years. Medically, all the tests say we are both perfectly normal. But she has had multiple miscarriages and difficulty getting pregnant in between. After IUI was unsuccessful, the next step proposed was IVF.

We talked about it and decided not to because of ethical discomfort over 1) potentially needing to terminate if there were multiples and 2) especially the question of what to do with leftover embryos-all of the options (indefinite storage, destruction, adoption) made us uneasy.

I say all that to say I recognize this is very much a grey area. Reasonable people can come to different conclusions about what is right-not everyone shares our perspective and I completely understand why they don’t. And that’s precisely why the state shouldn’t be dictating this.

24 years ago I was in the same situation. We chose to go forward and it was the best decision I ever made. 
That being said, I don’t judge anyone who came to a different conclusion. Things would be a lot better if people would quit worrying about what others are doing and just focus on themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

I mean the entire field of medicine is about messing with Gods will

I get you. I had that discussion recently but took the position that I guess I should have just died after being diagnosed with cancer in my 20’s.  They didn’t have much of an answer for that. 

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

Republicans are all about promoting the freedom from choice.

This is 100% correct. So was DEVO in the 1980s.

In my lifetime on this speck hurtling through the cosmos, the Christians (and highly religious from all faiths) have been all about restricting choices in the name of God's will, "Satan" is evil, "Sex is a sin," the "Bible says so," etc.. etc...etc. Especially restricting the choices for women, but eventually everyone. I saw it with the Baptist Bible thumpers at my high school, who were no different than the GQP theocrats running Texas and now moving for a national takeover.

LULZ to everyone from the Left or Right who is somehow "surprised" by what the GQP is. ... or "can't understand" it .... or think the "incels" are to blame... or the "grifters" ... or the "weird". All terms I have seen used in Surly to describe the GQP and remain in denial. Bottom line, The Christians/GQP and are taking society backward. Jerry Falwell said that was the goal 40 years ago! 

Hell, badass DEVO saw it coming 40 F*CKING YEARS AGO! Their name was about the devolution of society. The "new wave" foretold the old wave. 

Here are lyrics that conclude their song, "Freedom from Choice."

"Freedom of Choice is what you got,

Freedom from choice is what you want"

Indeed, we are in DEVO-lutionary times... the Devolutionists are running Texas and the SEC South ...  The Devolutionists are winning.

DEVO1.png

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

How many thousands of children are imprisoned in frozen suspension in Alabama? What about their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Can we sue the state to free them? Are they property? Can we sue their parents to force them to make actual real, living, breathing people out of them?

I demand the liberation through forced implantation and gestation of every tiny little person locked up in the deep freeze against their will in the state of Alabama! Charge them with a crime or give them their freedom!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Primary sex determination is chromosomal in mammals. The genetic makeup does not change. The presence of a Y chromosome results in phenotypic differentiation as early as 6-8 weeks. Before differentiation it is not really accurate to call the embryo phenotypically female. The phenotypic hallmarks of sex expression (e.g., estrogen producing ovaries or testosterone producing testes) develop later, whether the chromosomes are XX or XY. 

What’s even more fun is when you get into things like Klinefelter syndrome, Reifenstein syndrome, or full blown Androgen insensitivity syndrome.

What does the Bible say about that?

• Hook 'Em 1

If there’s any silver-lining in this latest fuckery, maybe it will get that many more folks out in November to vote against Trump and the rest of the MAGAs. This abortion restriction bullshit has been a game of one-upmanship among the red states long before Dobbs, and people in those states have to know they’re up next.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's...interesting, I guess is the best word, to go back to the beginning of this thread and see all the posters who supported overturning Roe who now seem to completely avoid this topic.

I mean....they won. Thoroughly and lastingly. What's more for them to discuss? Our political system is still working out the exact details, but abortion won't be legal again nationwide for a long time, if ever.

• Rage+1 1

Since ONE of the ways birth control pills and IUDs work is to prevent a fertialized egg from properly implanting how long before we start arresting Alabama women, doctors, and pharmacists and charging them for numerous manslaughter charges?

2 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Since ONE of the ways birth control pills and IUDs work is to prevent a fertialized egg from properly implanting how long before we start arresting Alabama women, doctors, and pharmacists and charging them for numerous manslaughter charges?

The pill prevents ovulation, it's the much less commonly used "mini-pill" that allows fertilization and then prevents implanting.... not that the nutjobs actually care about that distinction in their crusade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

The pill prevents ovulation, it's the much less commonly used "mini-pill" that allows fertilization and then prevents implanting.... not that the nutjobs actually care about that distinction in their crusade.

That is the primary mechanism.  However there are multiple effects of the combination birth control, ONE of which involves blocking implantation of the fertilized egg.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/combined-contraceptive-pill/

IMG_5682.thumb.jpeg.04af5e8816b0b94554e4d686de8f0198.jpeg

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2

You can take my reproductive rights when you pry them from my cold, not-yet-alive embryonic hands?  

Dammit, I had something for this.  Something about an egg stored for 18 years getting to own a gun.  

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alabama-attorney-general-explosive-device_n_65dd2bf0e4b005b85831640d

Pro Life crowd skipped the strongly worded letter stage and went right to bombs. 

Well, they’ve done it before.  Pretty fucking ironic that the pro-life crowd is cool killing people because they are prolife.  See the murder of Dr. Tiller and countless abortion clinics firebombed.  These people are fucking crazy.