COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What does that mean?

It means a lot of things.  The booster is effective at 1 week.  With Delta, it maintains effectiveness.  With Omicron, it wanes really fast- more so for Pfizer, but the Moderna sample was very small so that data has more of a metaphorical asterisk by it.  

Without booster, you’re basically unprotected from Omicron infection with standard vax regimen.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It means a lot of things.  The booster is effective at 1 week.  With Delta, it maintains effectiveness.  With Omicron, it wanes really fast- more so for Pfizer, but the Moderna sample was very small so that data has more of a metaphorical asterisk by it.  

Without booster, you’re basically unprotected from Omicron infection with standard vax regimen.

Thanks. I got my booster Monday and tested positive yesterday so I’m sure that’s not nearly enough time. And everyone I know who is getting Covid now is vaccinated, so that kind of explains things a little. 

Also tested positive this morning. Thought it was the edibles I ate last night that were making me feel “off”.  Woke up around 3am with chills and a fever. Took 2 tests this morning and both positive. I’m just sweating a shitload now.

I’ve never gotten it so kinda freaking out but seems mild so far. Asthma isn’t acting up or anything.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also tested positive this morning. Thought it was the edibles I ate last night that were making me feel “off”.  Woke up around 3am with chills and a fever. Took 2 tests this morning and both positive. I’m just sweating a shitload now.
I’ve never gotten it so kinda freaking out but seems mild so far. Asthma isn’t acting up or anything.

Best of luck, bud. Just take it easy and hydrate.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When did you get your last covid shot?

Got the booster Monday morning. Before that my 2nd shot was March 31st.

Did you fake a positive to sit in your room and drink away from your family during Christmas? 

image.gif.68203cd3397770e6ee84f51c82d3ff80.gif

Unfortunately I’m on the wagon for a bit. I am housing Christmas cookies and Netflix though.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Went ahead and got a Moderna booster this morning after a breakthrough case in mid-November.  I am going to have to be traveling for work soon and then we have a big family vacation at the end of January (now that all kids are vaxxed).

With full Pfizer vax in March and the breakthrough covid in November, I don’t really fear a severe omicron infection.  But if the booster just saves some vacation days when I might otherwise feel like shit with a mild infection, I’ll take it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

The spouse had a two negative and a barely positive rapid test, and a negative PCR on Tuesday when we were going to see her anti-vax aunt and uncle.

Clearly positive rapid on Friday for her. Our family is boosted and we were all together the entire week. My 20 yo twin sons and I tested negative as of Friday. No symptoms at all for me and she just has a runny nose and is just grumpy that she got it while we didn’t. At this point, I’d rather get it over with so am not separating from her and she isn’t masked.

Do I have to stay at home for the next week with Mrs. Grouch?

SIAP. Israel testing a 4th Pfizer shot for those who had their booster (3rd) shot over 4 months ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/world/middleeast/israel-fourth-dose-covid-vaccine.html

I'm curious about this study as I had my pfizer booster in late July. Yes that was before it was approved as a booster.

24 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

The spouse had a two negative and a barely positive rapid test, and a negative PCR on Tuesday when we were going to see her anti-vax aunt and uncle.

Clearly positive rapid on Friday for her. Our family is boosted and we were all together the entire week. My 20 yo twin sons and I tested negative as of Friday. No symptoms at all for me and she just has a runny nose and is just grumpy that she got it while we didn’t. At this point, I’d rather get it over with so am not separating from her and she isn’t masked.

You’ll be free Wednesday 

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SIAP. Israel testing a 4th Pfizer shot for those who had their booster (3rd) shot over 4 months ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/world/middleeast/israel-fourth-dose-covid-vaccine.html

I'm curious about this study as I had my pfizer booster in late July. Yes that was before it was approved as a booster.

Down to 4 months?

33 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

I think, per the CDC, you do not have to stay home if vaccinated.  I think they recommend that you get tested 5-7 days after exposure and wear a mask until then.

Someone who has been fully vaccinated and shows no symptoms of COVID-19 does not need to quarantine. However, fully vaccinated close contacts should:

• Wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until a negative test result.
  • Get tested 5-7 days after close contact with someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19.
  • Get tested and isolate immediately if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • Self-tests are one of several options for testing for the virus that causes COVID-19 and may be more convenient than laboratory-based tests and point-of-care tests. Ask your healthcare provider or your local health department if you need help interpreting your test results.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So here is what I think. I know no one cares but I just want to vent because my wife doesn't understand. I am someone who has erred on the side of caution all along and I strongly believe in science and am participating in the Moderna trial. It's just an opinion and I am an idiot but I listen to some smart people and I can do some math if I carry the one and dot the Ts and cross the Is.

I think O is going to be the end of the pandemic, more or less.

People who are double vaxxed and boosted, and kids under 5 will not get sick from O. Most will be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. The number of folks in the above categories who get very sick and or pass will be miniscule. Maybe even flu like.

Among the rest of the population, immunity will build up some because they're all going to get O as it out-competes Delta and everything else. The very few amount of people who are able to evade it and remain highly susceptible to Covid and its mutations at this point will be so small in numbers that it won't really matter.

There will be an annual Covid shot available and plenty of therapeutics to fight the annual endemic strains, and enough immunity in the populations that even more contagious/severe variants won't be able to wreak havoc.

I mean I guess there could already be a variant that has started circulating at this point that is as contagious/more than O and is more virulent/severe? Seems unlikely to me but I just interpret the stuff I read on the internet 

For those in Science/epidemiology please feel free to take a blowtorch to the above, if applicable. My mind is wide open, I'm just trying to interpret things and I've got a little sense of optimism because the above seems highly plausible, if not likely to me. 

47 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

So here is what I think. I know no one cares but I just want to vent because my wife doesn't understand. I am someone who has erred on the side of caution all along and I strongly believe in science and am participating in the Moderna trial. It's just an opinion and I am an idiot but I listen to some smart people and I can do some math if I carry the one and dot the Ts and cross the Is.

People who are double vaxxed and boosted, and kids under 5 will not get sick from O. Most will be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. The number of folks in the above categories who get very sick and or pass will be miniscule. Maybe even flu like.

Among the rest of the population, immunity will build up some because they're all going to get O as it out-competes Delta and everything else. The very few amount of people who are able to evade it and remain highly susceptible to Covid and its mutations at this point will be so small in numbers that it won't really matter.

There will be an annual Covid shot available and plenty of therapeutics to fight the annual endemic strains, and enough immunity in the populations that even more contagious/severe variants won't be able to wreak havoc.

I mean I guess there could already be a variant that has started circulating at this point that is as contagious/more than O and is more virulent/severe? Seems unlikely to me but I just interpret the stuff I read on the internet 

For those in Science/epidemiology please feel free to take a blowtorch to the above, if applicable. My mind is wide open, I'm just trying to interpret things and I've got a little sense of optimism because the above seems highly plausible, if not likely to me. 

Generally makes sense.  You are basically describing it becoming like the flu.  The one thing that happens I think will likely happen here as it becomes truly endemic is that every so often a strain will pop that will be more of a motherfucker even as the herd has built immunity through vax/transmission.  

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

My hopes too...right now the weighing when/if to get the booster. Most peoples' Omni symptoms (if they have any) seem less than what I experienced from my 2nd Moderna shot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Add me to the positive list. Pfizer with a booster about two and a half months ago, but picked it up somewhere while traveling to see family for Christmas. So far the closest thing to a symptom is a little bit of congestion and a hoarse voice (though I don't have a cough or sore throat). Anyone know where to go report this shit for Houston or Harris County?

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Why won't O just mutate again within one of the hundreds of millions of people who will become infected to an even more virulent and contagious strain?

Also, plenty of double vaxxed and boosted people are getting quite sick from O.  The vaccine generally protects from hospitalization/death but don't assume you will just experience a runny nose, particularly if you received a Pfizer booster more than a month ago and haven't previously had covid.  

The vaccines will need to improve to move beyond covid.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, UT_OB1 said:

We’ve had 3 people test positive in the last 2 weeks. That’s quite a few for us, and I don’t think we’ve seen this much activity since spring of 2020. All were vaccinated. Unfortunately, it’s not helping in making the case to get vaccinated for the handful of hold outs. Good thing is those 3 seem to be shrugging it off pretty well. 

Up to 6 or 7 now. Only one unvaccinated, and only one that felt really bad (he was vaccinated). Symptoms were so mild, we only learned of some because their family members tested positive. Oh, and at least one of those family members is on second round of Covid - first round back in the summer. 

Edited by UT_OB1

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

My wife has had it for a week. Super mild. Hasn’t passed it to me or my 4 and 6 year olds despite us being around her nonstop. 

Similar.  My 12 symptomatic (super light and gone within 2 days) and positive daughter spent 8 hours in a car going to and from Houston Thurs and Saturday.  So far not a single person in that car has tested positive or shown any symptoms.  Both kids are fully vax'd.  Ex wife and her husband had it back in Dec 20 and also vaxd.  Kids back with me last night.   I kept them largely in their rooms where they like to be  anyway.  If my son wakes up with no symptoms I'm going to end our personal quarantine today but will generally stay away from the public until Thursday.

Edited by midtown

5 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

CDC updated guidelines this morning. If you have been exposed and are double vaxxed and boosted OR within 6 months of second dose, you do not have to isolate. It used to be that if you were double vaxxed and exposed, you do not have to isolate.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

3 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

CDC updated guidelines this morning. If you have been exposed and are double vaxxed and boosted OR within 6 months of second dose, you do not have to isolate. It used to be that if you were double vaxxed and exposed, you do not have to isolate.

I saw the 5 days yesterday but did not see the part about zero for boosted like myself.  

Lot of folks here with Pfizer earlier this year are doing Moderna booster.  Is that the best game plan for somebody who had Pfizer earlier this year?  I’m at 2,500+ on the Texas CARES study.  Want to get a booster in next few weeks.  

I can’t speak to Pfizer/Moderna combo, but 2500 is super high. I scored like 750 in mid December after second Moderna in April and was scheduled for a booster this week but the Chron beat me to it. My only question is how/if a booster helps someone already at 2500.