Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

Yeah, a program deployed by a fascist Italian to single out Jewish people for special re-education under the auspices of his government and political aspirations.  What could possibly go wrong?  This hasn't ever happened before and gone sideways, right?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 hours ago, BLKNSTY said:

so DEI?

Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset

Swiftly flow the daaaays.

Students grow into Floridumbs,

Transforming as their eyes glaze.

Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset

Swiftly fly the years.

One season following another,

Laden with countless non-woke beers.

What words of wisdom can I give them

How can I help to ease their way?

If you see tiny Ron, run far far away....

*Apologies for the off meter butchering of this classic to Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick who composed and wrote Sunrise, Sunset for the musical, Fiddler On The Roof (1964), sixty years ago.

• Drool 1

Everytime a state rejects some amount of federal money, for any reasons, I feel like the president should hold a press conference and say, for example "Florida has repeatedly rejected our federal money provided to expand healthcare for low and medium class families in that state. While we want to help people, the state continually rejects the moeny. As a result, instead of letting that money got to waste, we have re-applied it towards our national debt. At least we can reduce that burden on each individual and do something positive with that money. So the next time you cant get affordable medical care in Florida, just remember that we treid to help you but your elected leadership wasn't interested. But at least your share of our national debt has been reduced by maybe a penny."

Eventually people will get the message. Or maybe better yet, other states will start returning their federal money on the principle of fiscal responsibility and lower our debt. Lol, I couldn't even type that with a straight face. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everytime a state rejects some amount of federal money, for any reasons, I feel like the president should hold a press conference and say, for example "Florida has repeatedly rejected our federal money provided to expand healthcare for low and medium class families in that state. While we want to help people, the state continually rejects the moeny. As a result, instead of letting that money got to waste, we have re-applied it towards our national debt.

Or announce that they are redirecting the money that was turned down to the surrounding states.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or announce that they are redirecting the money that was turned down to the surrounding states.

Every state surroudning Florida fucking sucks. Take the benefit of being able to say we're actively working to reduce the debt. New Party of Fiscal Responsibility. 

53 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As of today officially registered to vote in FL.  Registered as a Democrat for the first time in my life.  Can't wait to vote against all these assholes some place where it matters.  

Oh buddy, you may have picked the wrong state. Unless you just mispelled "Michigan"

You'll enjoy voting in Democrats in your home city but watching helplessly as the lunatic fringe are put in at the statewide and federal level as well as your entire state going for Trump in the Fall. Just like us in Texas get to experience. 

I'll leave it to you smarty-pants marketing types to come up with a new narrative, but we all know that aside from a dozen "Red" states that have about 10mm people between them...this Red State/Blue State tale is absolute bullshit.  California has the most Trump voters, rural Vermont is overwhelmingly blue with all of its 3700 voters.  It's a myth sold to us by politicians and fundraisers.  

It is urban/suburban college v. rural/suburban non-college.  All else is commentary.  It just so happens that some of these suburban/ex-urban zip codes happen to be in battleground zip-codes.  That's it.  That's all this is.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You'll enjoy voting in Democrats in your home city but watching helplessly as the lunatic fringe are put in at the statewide and federal level as well as your entire state going for Trump in the Fall. Just like us in Texas get to experience. 

Still spend plenty of time in Chicago to get my fix with my peoples.  

On 1/9/2024 at 7:36 PM, Brisketexan said:

What I’ve never understood about the whole GQP strident opposition to accepting federal dollars for Medicare expansion is….why? It’s there for the taking. It will improve the health and productivity of your citizens. Is it just the steadfast unyielding position that anything that even remotely sniffs of “Obama” must be opposed?

I mean…I know that’s the answer. It’s just so. Fucking. Stupid.

Because the GOP will never turn down the opportunity to own “ or arrest” a black guy.  Even if said Black guy has been out of politics for nearly 10 years now.

On 1/9/2024 at 6:04 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Steady failure in FL …

20 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

MS13 members deserve medical care too!

Yes and it’s much easier to treat in IL.  Many PA patients get insurance through the Obamacare exchanges.  Unlike FL, where the state would rather them be uninsured.  Ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I love "The Good Liars."  They start up so much shit, but do it so deftly.  Their movie is really not that funny unfortunately, but there's a scene where the both slyly acknowledge that if they weren't well-dressed white guys, they'd never get away with some of their stunts.  This is a perfect example.  If a black or brown guy got even remotely that close to DeSantis, they'd have been beaten and arrested.  

But 3 things:

-When he still tries to give DeSantis the trophy after being hauled off is the chef's kiss of dry political comedy

-If you have a chance to check out their interviews with folks at Trump rallies on youtube this primary season, do so.  It's a more raw/less edited version (with less production value, but still clever) of Jordan Klepper.  

-Casey DeSantis.  She may be enabling a monster or is just blinded by love.  Either way, still WOULD

• Hook 'Em 1

He was a much better candidate when he was little more than a rumor striving to be as big a dickhead as Trump. When people saw him and heard him, the little man was exposed and dismissed. Every day he spends campaigning just makes him more pathetic.

People dismissed Napoleon and Hitler, too. But when there was turmoil and their societies longed for a strongman, they stepped into the breach. One was a competent, ruthless military strategist, the other a screaming effective orator. You might say that DeSantis is neither, but he's an opportunist and if there is an opportunity for him to be an authoritarian ruler, he will grasp it. Fanny pack and all. He's not going to go away even if he is sidelined in this round. Whether he will be cast off for good remains to be seen.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Grammar fail

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

He was a much better candidate when he was little more than a rumor striving to be as big a dickhead as Trump. When people saw him and heard him, the little man was exposed and dismissed. Every day he spends campaigning just makes him more pathetic.

A good buddy of mine dates a gal from Tampa whose parents are tight with DeSantis.  They all went to a fundraiser a few years ago, and he said Ronnie was the weirdest politician he's ever met.  I kinda took it with a grain of salt, but it turns out he was right.

In the polling of Republican voters, I have yet to hear a voter mention child labor laws as being too stringent.

However, it is a clear strategy for Republicans. Most Republican led states are discussing weakening laws, with some even passing new laws, Iowa and Arkansas for example.

Florida is up next. HB 49, pushed by Rep. Linda Chaney and her GOP colleagues is a total rollback of child labor protections for teens.

They want to let 16- and 17-year-olds work insane hours during school, and even let them drop out for full-time jobs if they're in some home or virtual school program. 

The supporters, like the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association, are dressing it up as reducing 'unnecessary' regulation and boosting job opportunities.

It's not about helping teenagers; it's about cheap labor and filling low-wage jobs without regard for these kids' education or well-being.

This particular bill was drafted by the Foundation for Government Accountability – far-right group backed by Dick Uihlein, notorious for his anti-worker/union opinions.

The democrats proposed an amendment to protect minors from workplace sexual harassment but it was rejected by the Republicans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

22 minutes ago, pacman said:

In the polling of Republican voters, I have yet to hear a voter mention child labor laws as being too stringent.

However, it is a clear strategy for Republicans. Most Republican led states are discussing weakening laws, with some even passing new laws, Iowa and Arkansas for example.

Florida is up next. HB 49, pushed by Rep. Linda Chaney and her GOP colleagues is a total rollback of child labor protections for teens.

They want to let 16- and 17-year-olds work insane hours during school, and even let them drop out for full-time jobs if they're in some home or virtual school program. 

The supporters, like the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association, are dressing it up as reducing 'unnecessary' regulation and boosting job opportunities.

It's not about helping teenagers; it's about cheap labor and filling low-wage jobs without regard for these kids' education or well-being.

This particular bill was drafted by the Foundation for Government Accountability – far-right group backed by Dick Uihlein, notorious for his anti-worker/union opinions.

The democrats proposed an amendment to protect minors from workplace sexual harassment but it was rejected by the Republicans.

I voted about 90/10 Dem/Rep last cycle, but I don't really see an issue with the changes they are making. Seems reasonable to me. Some kids need to work, some families need their kids to work. I'm not sure I'm ok telling them the government is not allowing you to work even if you want to.  We're talking 16 and 17 year olds, not 12 year olds. A large percentage of those are expected to be on their own when they turn 18.  Are their going to be some kids possibly exploited with this change, possibly? Are those same kids not going to be exploited if the change isn't made? The law never applied to kids working for their parents anyway, this just allows them to work for someone else.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

28 minutes ago, pacman said:

Bring the cheap child slave labor back from China and slap a “Made in America!” label on the crap you buy at Walmart. 

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

We taking bets on when he drops out yet? New Hampshire primary is January 23. 

Does he make it to February?

Probably not. When he drops out, he’ll endorse Trump. So will Haley when Trump wins South Carolina. 

Like most of y'all, I've been consuming a lot of GOP intel on this primary season.  Obviously Ramy and Asa will be dropping out before President's Day, conveniently.  But that's a 3-5% sliver at the most.  The real question is which one between Haley and DeSantis leaves first.  Which is inevitable.  But how much of the other person's voter base follows the other one and how much of the other quitter follows Trump going forward?  Hayley has taken a weird tack the last couple of weeks but certainly seems stronger and drawing more ire from Trump.  But DeSantis has been Trump's punching bag for the better part of a year now.   I have yet to see a reliable breakdown of which one benefits more from the other one's demise between Ron and Nikki.  And to what end do they both stay in this?  

I doubt Trump puts Haley in a prominent position again after this cycle.  She's still young enough to run for Graham's Senate seat in 1-2 cycles when he retires.  But that's about her limit.  She can go again for GOP nomination and be the first woman POTUS in 2028 or 2032 as well.  But she'll still have ~25mm MAGAts to deal with.  Another Republican will eventually win the White House and she can also seriously consider being a formidable option for Sec. of State.  

Ron is a more challenging spot.  He's less likable by both Trump and the nation combined.  But he's younger and has more options except going back to be Gov. of his own state.  Senate is tougher for him than for Nikki because of the entrenchment of the two FLA guys.  Trump would never tap him for anything in his cabinet and going back to the House would look like a regression.  He's far less likely to garner a judicial appointment down the road despite his noteworthy legal education and service.  He has far more to lose this cycle than Nikki.  And is stuck being younger with fewer options.  

As Cormac McCarthy once wrote, "It's not a question of whether or not you're going out, counselor.  Now it's just a question of who you're taking with you..." 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Are their going to be some kids possibly exploited with this change, possibly? Are those same kids not going to be exploited if the change isn't made? The law never applied to kids working for their parents anyway, this just allows them to work for someone else.

Is it going to lead to more kids not getting a diploma?  At least with them working for their parents, most parents have an incentive to have their kids graduate.  

-Casey DeSantis.  She may be enabling a monster or is just blinded by love.  Either way, still WOULD

Make no mistake, she is as much a power hungry monster as Nancy Reagan. She sees herself as Jackie O, and is probably livid that these dorks are interrupting her chance at greatness. Nevermind that is really DeSantis and his bullshit that are keeping her out.

Don't be shocked to see her throw her hat into the political ring at some point.

ETA: And watch all the Hilary haters that trashed her for riding Bill's coattails (or whatever they bitched about) fully support Casey without on ounce of irony.

• Like 3