Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

Yeah, I don’t fucking get it.  They have a majority and can replace committee members with other senators from their party.  There is precedent for this.  Instead, they’re drawing straws to go steal batteries for her because she forgot.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

It’s infuriating but also incredibly sad and tragic.

Senator Feinstein was a pioneer and legend. She should’ve retired with honor and fanfare that celebrated her amazing legacy.

Now she won’t be remembered for any of that and will be dismissed and vilified when she leaves.

And her staff should be charged with impersonating a government official.

RBG syndrome...

a pioneer and legend who deserved honor and fanfare celebrating her amazing legacy... who will be vilified for fucking around and causing every female in America to find out. her faculties being fine makes it worse imo...she knew her health issues and the risk she was taking. gotdammit. 😡

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 5/26/2023 at 1:04 PM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I don’t fucking get it.  They have a majority and can replace committee members with other senators from their party.  There is precedent for this.  Instead, they’re drawing straws to go steal batteries for her because she forgot.  

I don’t think this is correct. They tried to temporarily replace her and needed 10 R votes to overcome the filibuster. Per HRC’s comments last week, if she was replaced, they would need 10 R votes to sit her replacement on Judiciary. At this point, their only option is to wheel her corpse out and tell it how to vote.

If Schumer was smart, this would have been addressed when she decided to run again in 2018. He should have told her and her staff that it’s OK if she runs, but she will be the ranking member on the Dog Catching and Flower Arranging Committees. Unfortunately Schumer is a moron without the spine to do what’s necessary.

Yeah, the filibuster can be waived off for replacing dead or incapacitated members of the Senate, both their seats and committee assignments.  It hasn't happened often, but there is customary decorum that allows for it.  Then I remembered, this is the Senate of Ted Cruz and Ron Johnson, so custom and decorum are out the fucking window.  

There needs to be a method that a senator can temporarily be replaced due to health concerns. It shouldn't be indefinite but allow a month or two leave without throwing the Senate into chaos when the party split is close.

Now Feinstein should resign but a temp replacement would have kept the wheels of legislation turning over the past few months.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There needs to be a method that a senator can temporarily be replaced due to health concerns. It shouldn't be indefinite but allow a month or two leave without throwing the Senate into chaos when the party split is close.

Now Feinstein should resign but a temp replacement would have kept the wheels of legislation turning over the past few months.

dems would lose her seat on the judicial. when is this session officially over ? 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 5/26/2023 at 8:57 AM, YGIFS said:

I don't know about "vilified", but certainly to your point-dismissed, and quite misremembered.  

The more this plays out, the more I wonder what the fuck her senior staff is thinking.  Did they cut a deal with another prominent Democrat, another donor, perhaps a GOP operator?  Because their careers are fucking done.  They'll be lucky to be baristas by the end of her term.  They must have made some other backup arrangement to continue this damaging charade.  There's no other reason they would do this to their futures, to the legacy of Sen. Feinstein, to their party, to their country.  They have some other off-ramp, but the junior staffers, Feinstein's legacy, and the Judiciary Committee are all fucked as a result of it.  I hope it was worth it.  LBJ or Clinton's operators would have taken 'em out back and beaten the living shit out of them and shoved a paper application for Sears down their throats.  

My guess is her staff is getting the “campaign contributions” directly now.  Not going through Diane’s accounts.

• 1 month later...

She has no clue what’s going on But fuck this selfish cunt for not retiring when she had her senses. Her daughter now has power of attorney but she’s still in her senate seat

hurry up and die you cunt 

IMG_6143.webp

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Jesus

Per CNN, she was hospitalized after falling at her home.

Oh, great--so she'll be absent from the Senate for another six months during which time we'll be unable to get any nominees through Judiciary.  That's just fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 8/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, tx 3 putt said:

She has no clue what’s going on But fuck this selfish cunt for not retiring when she had her senses. Her daughter now has power of attorney but she’s still in her senate seat

hurry up and die you cunt 

IMG_6143.webp

crazy that a senator can't be trusted to make her own life decisions but she can make decisions for the rest of us. Of course not that she really makes decisions for us.

But her absence does harm us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

It's very possible that Schumer is actually 100% ok if he has a senator that will do as she's told without pushback. As long as she's in the office, she's probably the dream senator for a majority leader. I'm sure almost every senator can be a pain but Feinstein and her staff may just be doing what they're told whether it be vote for a particular nominee or bill.

Still a shame that everyone around her is willing to tarnish her reputation because she was an important and highly capable political figure in the past. If you have to wonder that if they resigned her but allowed her a senate office, whether she would even notice. "yes Senator, you've already voted on that bill. Now drink this Ensure."

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's very possible that Schumer is actually 100% ok if he has a senator that will do as she's told without pushback. As long as she's in the office, she's probably the dream senator for a majority leader. I'm sure almost every senator can be a pain but Feinstein and her staff may just be doing what they're told whether it be vote for a particular nominee or bill.

Still a shame that everyone around her is willing to tarnish her reputation because she was an important and highly capable political figure in the past. If you have to wonder that if they resigned her but allowed her a senate office, whether she would even notice. "yes Senator, you've already voted on that bill. Now drink this Ensure."

She can't do what she's told if she's in the hospital for months on end over and over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

there should be some mechanism that everyone can agree on where a member of their own party needs to be replaced. the opposing party shouldn't really have a say, i guess, but i don't have a clear answer. 

all i know is that keeping someone around to their own detriment and to the detriment of the government is counterproductive.

it's sad, it really is. my mom doesn't remember my children's names. i know how hard this is for people. 

you know what though? my ma is just an old woman living in east texas, she's not voting on the fucking budget of a fucking country. 

this isn't working. even if the change won't work, we need to figure it out tout fucking suite. our government is outrageously old and full of boomers losing their minds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

there should be some mechanism that everyone can agree on where a member of their own party needs to be replaced. the opposing party shouldn't really have a say, i guess, but i don't have a clear answer. 

all i know is that keeping someone around to their own detriment and to the detriment of the government is counterproductive.

it's sad, it really is. my mom doesn't remember my children's names. i know how hard this is for people. 

you know what though? my ma is just an old woman living in east texas, she's not voting on the fucking budget of a fucking country. 

this isn't working. even if the change won't work, we need to figure it out tout fucking suite. our government is outrageously old and full of boomers losing their minds. 

Drop every senator and rep candidate off 10 blocks from where they live. If they can't make it home on their own, they shouldn't be in office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

someone remind me why her team is holding on here and doesn't want newsome to appoint her replacement ?

Seems like two main things. One, the Republicans will probably refuse to seat a replacement on the judiciary committee if she steps down. That would prevent any more judicial nominations from getting through the Senate.

Two, it has to do with her successor. Newsome promised that he would appoint a black woman to the seat. Whoever that is would have a big advantage in the following election. It’s thought that people around Feinstein prefer Adam Schiff to get her seat when she retires, though. 

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Seems like two main things. One, the Republicans will probably refuse to seat a replacement on the judiciary committee if she steps down. That would prevent any more judicial nominations from getting through the Senate.

Two, it has to do with her successor. Newsome promised that he would appoint a black woman to the seat. Whoever that is would have a big advantage in the following election. It’s thought that people around Feinstein prefer Adam Schiff to get her seat when she retires, though. 

that old bat doesn’t even know where she is, much less who might replace her 

• Gil Bang changed the title to Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90