A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Dude, you started it.  I was just completing the random task. 

I am amazed that I instantly recalled the name Oddjob from Goldfinger.  So why can I not remember where in the hell I parked my car?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently some christian nationalist ARE actually mad about Trump co-opting the bible.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/us/donald-trump-bible-christianity-cec/index.html

“It is a bankrupt Christianity that sees a demagogue co-opting our faith and even our holy scriptures for the sake of his own pursuit of power and praise him for it rather than insist that we refuse to allow our sacred faith and scriptures to become a mouthpiece for an empire,” said Rev. Benjamin Cremer on X.

Historian and author Jemar Tisby says the whole project echoes the values of Christian nationalism — the idea that America was founded as a Christian nation and the government should work to sanction Christianity on a national scale. The tenets of Christian nationalism are historically tied to prejudice, nativism and white supremacy.

When Guthrie Graves-Fitzsimmons, communications director for the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, saw Trump’s Bible endorsement, he said he saw a politician using fears rooted in racism and prejudice to promote a specific Christian ideology.

When I hear ‘Make America Pray Again,’ I hear Christian nationalist promises that we are going to somehow ‘restore’ Christianity in this country. And if authoritarianism does come to the United States, it’s all but guaranteed it will be done in the name of Christianity, which is a very scary thought.

“I think the essence of liberal progressive faith is compassion, so it is mind boggling (to such people) how someone could say they were a Christian and follow a guy who is very much not compassionate.”

Fake outrage. They're gonna vote for him anyway.

It’s not clear where proceeds from the Bible’s sales will go

In addition to the multitude of theological questions it raises, Trump’s endorsement of the “God Bless the USA” Bible coincides with several legal battles that could put the presumptive Republican nominee for president on the line for hundreds of millions of dollars.

The FAQ section of the “God Bless America” Bible website clarifies that no proceeds from the sales of the Bible will go towards Trump’s presidential campaign. However, there is no mention of whether any proceeds could be put toward his personal legal troubles.

Rubes. Idiots. Morons. Fools and their money are easily parted. 

Trump and his ilk can all go bankrupt and the world will be better and kinder.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Between divisions over inclusion and being co-opted by white nationalism, Christian institutions are being further decimated.

Well, Trump took over the Republican Party.  Next up is the Christian religion.  Hopefully there are enough decent Christians to curtail that shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, Trump took over the Republican Party.  Next up is the Christian religion.  Hopefully there are enough decent Christians to curtail that shit.

There aren’t. There are plenty…just not nearly enough.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

There aren’t. There are plenty…just not nearly enough.

Maybe.  If what happened with the Republican party happens with the church, you will be 100% correct.  He comes in, is his asshole self and drives decent people to say "fuck it, I'm out."  They leave the institution.  What's left are people that applaud when he shits on the dais and like that, he's now in control of the institution.  Sure, it may be weakened, but it still influential and holds some power.  More importantly, since he controls it, it is no longer an institution that could oppose him.  Do that with enough institutions, and...  you know the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe.  If what happened with the Republican party happens with the church, you will be 100% correct.  He comes in, is his asshole self and drives decent people to say "fuck it, I'm out."  They leave the institution.  What's left are people that applaud when he shits on the dais and like that, he's now in control of the institution.  Sure, it may be weakened, but it still influential and holds some power.  More importantly, since he controls it, it is no longer an institution that could oppose him.  Do that with enough institutions, and...  you know the rest.

Dude…that’s already happened, and the process is almost complete. See the plummeting attendance in non-dickhead mainline denominations, and increasing attendance at Congregationalist fundamentalist “Bible churches.” The Trumpists have won - most of the people who actually believe in the Jesus of the gospels have bailed on religion.
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

Non-denominational churches already support him at a 75-80% clip.  Dotard is American Christianity.  The battle has already been lost. 

Meet your new savior

image.thumb.png.c1fb9ab8b28da95e3945e78a53d6d938.png

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

^ Pretty much this.  It is surreal.  Most Evangelicals don't even know they're Evangelicals.  The Catholics are starting to become the voice of reason in this country, which is really saying something.  I was thinking about this at my wife's Catholic church yesterday.  Other than a single line about protecting the unborn during the petition listing after the homily, there's no discussion of politics.  Then my hard-MAGA cousins come over for brunch and they're going on and on about how about their Hays Country church is super pro-MAGA but they don't even feel it's enough pro-MAGA.  And it was all I could do sober to just not blurt out, "So that's what you got out of Easter service?  Not enough Trumpism?  I'm sure Jesus is terribly appreciative of the holes in his wrists so you could spit on Mexicans.  Which by the way is where our mothers are from!"  So what I did instead of  that was hide little plastic eggs filled with candy in my backyard for my girls to find.  Which is also what Jesus would have wanted.  And to be fair, the ham they brought was really delicious.  Also, what Jesus would have wanted.  Eating delicious slow-smoked pork.  That thing Jews do, next to having to move around to evade immigrant persecution.  The irony was thicker than the glaze on the ham.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 9

On 3/30/2024 at 1:46 AM, Superhero said:

I’ve never shorted anything in my life. How do I do that?

I don’t know if there’s a more certain investment I can make in my lifetime.

The only question is timeline.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I’ve never shorted anything in my life. How do I do that?

I don’t know if there’s a more certain investment I can make in my lifetime.

The only question is timeline.

You have to have a margin trading account and hope your brokerage has shares to "borrow".  Usually they don't for blatant scam stocks like this.  Or if they do, they charge a ridiculous interest rate on the shares you are borrowing.  Options are another way to bet on a stock's downfall, but they normally aren't available right out the gate.  I have no idea if there are options on DJT already or not and refuse to even look at that POS.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You have to have a margin trading account and hope your brokerage has shares to "borrow".  Usually they don't for blatant scam stocks like this.  Or if they do, they charge a ridiculous interest rate on the shares you are borrowing.  Options are another way to bet on a stock's downfall, but they normally aren't available right out the gate.  I have no idea if there are options on DJT already or not and refuse to even look at that POS.

Googled DJT puts.

I’ve never purchased puts either, but Reddit tells me that they’re crazy expensive b/c everyone knows that this stock is going to 0. 

That said, even the Reddit guys seem to be weary of touching it. Now that says something.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

DJT down 15% today, to 53.11.  Wait ... just refreshed, down to 52.80.

LOL

Opened at 59.83 today.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Between divisions over inclusion and being co-opted by white nationalism, Christian institutions are being further decimated.

Nothing new. Christianity has a long and sordid history of treating people like shit. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nothing new. Christianity has a long and sordid history of treating people like shit. 

As is often said, Christianity wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for a great majority of the Christians.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, plimon said:

Taking a dive right now.

2024-04-01_11-25-50.png

But how? They had revenue of $4 million last year. That alone should prop up the price. Only a company headed by the spectacular businessman Donald J. Trump could achieve $4 million in a year!

Just now, dcbc said:

As is often said, Christianity wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for a great majority of the Christians.

Apparently it’s a misquotation attributed to Gandhi who never said it, but whoever said it nailed it:

“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So is Trump going to lose a billion imaginary dollars today?

It’s like monopoly except you and I put in more effort in a 2 hr game of monopoly than Trump ever did for this pump and dump scheme.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This trend is new when looking at the last 8 years versus the previous 80. Massive amounts of Christian churches are dividing mostly over LGBQT focus

20 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Still can't believe they got that by the sensors in the 60s.

It was straight from the book. Except the version from the book was black and a gangster. Ahhh, the 1960s; you could get away with naming a character Pussy Galore, but you couldn't get away with having a white man kiss a black woman.

19 hours ago, Superhero said:

Apparently some christian nationalist ARE actually mad about Trump co-opting the bible.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/us/donald-trump-bible-christianity-cec/index.html

Fake outrage. They're gonna vote for him anyway.

Rubes. Idiots. Morons. Fools and their money are easily parted. 

Trump and his ilk can all go bankrupt and the world will be better and kinder.

18 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Picked up a book at a bookstore yesterday called Republican Jesus. Looking forward to the read. Author seems to actually know what he's talking about, and you can see the folks giving his book one-star reviews on Amazon are absolute dipshits.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

e36cef25-372d-4015-928d-1a043614ec1c_tex

For what it's worth, the Episcopalian church we have been attending since leaving the Methodist church we attended once it went "Global" has said, in no uncertain terms, that politics and the like have no place there.  They also seem to be an understanding lot when it comes to those of us who aren't always led by blind faith.  It seems to me to be quite well-attended by white people, black people, Latinos, and LGTBQ alike.  It was a breath of fresh air in MAGA-ridden east Texas to be sure.  And they have booze at the chili cook off, as Jesus would have wanted.

Well, my church (United Church of Christ) is absolutely political, but on the other side of the spectrum. We are aggressively pro-LGBTQ+, in particular.

• Hook 'Em 1