A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

17 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yep, this isn't about winning a legal battle.  It's about constructing a reality distortion field around Trump so that stupid people continue to believe in him.

As usual with the Dotard, it's mostly performative. 1. Take the offensive, no matter how absurd the position. 2. Change the public dialog and distract from the real issue. 3. When the Motion is dismissed, rail about the rigged system. 

It's not about actually getting a favorable ruling. It's about maximizing the role as victim. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Horndog said:

As usual with the Dotard, it's mostly performative. 1. Take the offensive, no matter how absurd the position. 2. Change the public dialog and distract from the real issue. 3. When the Motion is dismissed, rail about the rigged system. 

It's not about actually getting a favorable ruling. It's about maximizing the role as victim. 

and weaponizing his base. 

48 minutes ago, Chopper said:

@henrygandorfI believe I've already done so. So why don't you go a head and explain the logic you used to decide to be a defeatist little bitch. 

Chopper, while I can want your optimism, Trump is still walking around free, which is more than anybody else in any situation.  They've not only disregarded rules, they created laws for him--like a sitting president can't commit or be tried for crimes.  It was that way for his run to the presidency, four years of presidency and now post presidency.  That's why our optimism is exhausted.  I want to believe but two slam dunk impeachment hearings went his way because he learned his lesson and witch-hunts.  

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

he will make some deal here and declare he won. still haven’t seen anywhere that says he can be restricted from running for and holding office. 

I was where you are too but now I'm not so sure. Something's changed. I think it's more likely he goes down in flames rather than take a deal. I think he truly believes he has the right to these documents and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise. 

However, should he take a deal I think that him being ineligible for office will be part of it - after all it is part of the statute IIRC. 

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and while sure, he’s no longer the president, we’re kidding ourselves if we think he’s gonna be treated like some random dude who stole classified docs. that’s already been clear. 

and this is precisely why it's a good thing that they're taking their time, ensuring they've given him every benefit of the doubt, explained to him the seriousness of the laws he's breaching, and now are hoisting him by his own petard.

His former attorneys either don't want to work for him again, or, if they do, they're busy fighting in jurisdictions around the country to avoid being disbarred or sanctioned due purely to their efforts to assert his "case" in 2020. He's left with a bunch of clueless hacks and they are allowing him to dig himself a deep, deep hole.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Still, though, Halligan is supposed to be local counsel, familiar with the local courts, and a good local counsel should head this stuff off at the pass.  

31 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Shoulda read before posting.  3rd rate Hooter’s lawyer fail. 

Yup, both true. I'm just saying that most of the time this sort of issue would generate a shrug from me. It happens, you fix it, and move on. It doesn't really have any broader implications in and of itself. 

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

His former attorneys either don't want to work for him again, or, if they do, they're busy fighting in jurisdictions around the country to avoid being disbarred or sanctioned due purely to their efforts to assert his "case" in 2020. He's left with a bunch of clueless hacks and they are allowing him to dig himself a deep, deep hole.

yeah it’s a shame he lost his 2020 dream team. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I was where you are too but now I'm not so sure. Something's changed. I think it's more likely he goes down in flames rather than take a deal. I think he truly believes he has the right to these documents and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise. 

However, should he take a deal I think that him being ineligible for office will be part of it - after all it is part of the statute IIRC. 

Al Capone and John Gatti got it wrong when they didn't run for political office.  They could've been in charge of investigations into their crimes.  They just lacked the vision, but those were also different times.  The olds now feel that their racism isn't heard and taken with enough consideration that they'll burn it all down.  

Hope Trump goes the way of either former bosses.   

I understand why people feel like he's not going to be held accountable. I also understand why other people feel this scandal is different. It's too early to know what will happen either way.

If he isn't held accountable this time, it won't be because he did nothing wrong (he always breaks the law) and it won't be because there are people protecting him the way Mueller and Barr did. It would be for entirely new bullshit reasons, such as Biden/Garland channeling the naivete of Susan Collins or Justice Alito quenching his desire to accelerate the demise of our republic.

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

still not convinced this is a realistic outcome - figuratively, literally, or constitutionally. there’s nothing stopping him. i gamed it out a couple weeks ago, and i don’t see how he’s stopped even if his deal says he’s ineligible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Horndog said:

I agree that was the purpose of the new legal filing. He felt pressure to do something after it was pointed out to his attorney on tv that he should've applied for a special master two weeks ago. He fundraises off this shit and the qtards are more motivated if they see him fighting, no matter how inanely.

The downsides of the filing, which they may not have thought through or understood, are huge: it's now laid bare how far he had crossed over a very bright line in the law, that he kept a huge amount of the most secret national security records at his shitty golf club, and he is going to get absolutely murdered by words in the USDOJ's response and when the judge rules.

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

this is an end run around the verification process; two of those lawyers know the motion is shit and don't want to verify a single factual assertion in the motion for fear of the repercussions of intentionally misleading the Court.

rightfully so...

it'll be interesting if they chose to comply and go ahead with the pro hac.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

still not convinced this is a realistic outcome - figuratively, literally, or constitutionally. there’s nothing stopping him. i gamed it out a couple weeks ago, and i don’t see how he’s stopped even if his deal says he’s ineligible. 

Well for starters, he couldn’t be on the ballot if he’s ineligible for office. But there’s no deal to be made here. I know you’re cynical but this is very different. An indictment is coming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yep, this isn't about winning a legal battle.  It's about constructing a reality distortion field around Trump so that stupid people continue to believe in him.

Exactly.

I'm surprised so many lawyers are willing to be disbarred, but I guess I shouldn't be.  They're probably getting 7-figure jobs in conservative think tanks in return.  And maybe they have political aspirations of their own and they see this charade as a resume builder -- I stood up to the liberal elite establishment, blah, blah.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Well for starters, he couldn’t be on the ballot if he’s ineligible for office. But there’s no deal to be made here. I know you’re cynical but this is very different. An indictment is coming. 

couldn't be on what ballot?  state ballots?  you think red states give a fuck about some "unfair witch hunt plea deal" that trump didn't actually agree to, didn't really sign, and then was "altered after he signed it".

(the quotes are predictions, but i feel like i'm close).

also i'm not cynical, i'm realistic.  i've only been on the politics board for 5 years, but i think my posts reflect this to those who have wasted time reading them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

couldn't be on what ballot?  state ballots?  you think red states give a fuck about some "unfair witch hunt plea deal" that trump didn't actually agree to, didn't really sign, and then was "altered after he signed it".

also i'm not cynical, i'm realistic.  i've only been on the politics board for 5 years, but i think my posts reflect this to those who have wasted time reading them.

If he tries this in this scenario then he's in violation of the plea deal and goes straight to jail.

Edited by The Dog

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

This will not happen. The trial may drag out past November 2024 this is the only scenario where he will be on the ballot.

the 2022 midterms are shaping up now we will have a much better idea of what the future of America will be like in November this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i hope you’re right. but he’ll never see the inside of a jail cell. my wish is that he spends time on house arrest and has an uncomfortable life spent shelling out millions and dealing with legal drama. 

unfortunately, he is still going to run for president. nothing will stop him, and he’ll probably win. he will definitely be the r nominee. just sick and tired of everyone on that side (not just trump) delay shit indefinitely and have it work out for them. there are a number of examples. 

now while the doj isn’t congress, i would still need to see some forward momentum before i decide this strategy, that has worked so often in the past, isn’t working now. it’s definitely what they’re attempting, which is why all the legal nonsense isn’t worth overanalyzing. 

and while sure, he’s no longer the president, we’re kidding ourselves if we think he’s gonna be treated like some random dude who stole classified docs. that’s already been clear. 

He’ll probably win is asinine.  Cheney runs and he’s toast.  No D is voting for Liz and 10% R vote for Liz.  It’s over.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horndog said:

26 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

and weaponizing his base. 

They're not playing law anymore than they play politics. They're playing raw power. 

Diggler is succinct in what Trump is doing. He's already issuing thinly veiled threats to the DOJ about doing his best to calm the anger of "America." He will keep pushing along this line and push through all the paper resistance (paper that we used to regard as the boundaries to what men would do) until he encounters hard, forceful resistance. The GOP is riding along.

Indict. Jail. Remand. No bail. 

Apply this right now to Trump, his henchmen, co-conspirators in Congress (they'll be replaced by GOP appointees from their states, so that dampens the political purge claim), and anyone threatening violence in his support.

Clear out the drug offenders in prison if we need the room.

We can't keep playing softball because we know we're right. Being right is no longer persuasive. The sides are largely set. Let's push back now while there is still the hard edge of the law available to us. It won't be if Trump or the GOP regain power. It might never be again if they do.

Law and order. Time for order.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

If he tries this in this scenario then he's in violation of the plea deal and goes straight to jail.

which part?  the campaigning, the rallies, the fundraising, or actually appearing on the primary ballot?  because that part won't happen until spring of 2024 technically.  so much time for appeals and other nonsense filings.  and yes, i feel like the red states with all the low level election board flunkies will do whatever they can to subvert the process.

all that said, he won't sign a deal that would actually keep him from running, because we all know he's running.

i do like the "straight to jail" part.  let's talk more about that.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you talkin about the general?  or do you think cheney takes enough from him to put desantis in the lead?

In the general, running as Indy.  But DeSantis can knee cap trump if he wants as well.  

edit: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/23/the-koch-network-and-other-trump-allies-are-quietly-backing-his-biggest-gop-critic-rep-liz-cheney.html

Lol, Kochs can absolutely end Trump all by themselves.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

37 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Maggie Haberman is like a mash-up of Josef Goebbels and Eva Braun for trump, so when even she says, as tepidly as possible, that trump's attorneys seem to have badly misjudged the situation, there is but one conclusion.

30 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

this is an end run around the verification process; two of those lawyers know the motion is shit and don't want to verify a single factual assertion in the motion for fear of the repercussions of intentionally misleading the Court.

rightfully so...

it'll be interesting if they chose to comply and go ahead with the pro hac.

What will also be interesting is if they refile whether they'll amend their work now that many of the top national security attorneys in the country have critiqued their work. Perhaps this time they'll even try to state a legitimate claim backed by law and support their filing with affidavits testifying under perjury to certain facts.

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Yes but when he gets charged with crimes and the case goes to court the letter will brightly illustrate trump's intent to steal hundreds of the most highly classified documents in government, and how the government's actions were both patient and devoid of political gamesmanship.

And they still will not have read it, they'll only wait for their god to tell them what it says

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I just don't understand this line of thinking that has become so prevalent. You realize that half this country currently likes facism, right? That fighting it makes them double and triple down on their support? The ex-president has been found to have colluded with Russia in an election, incited an insurrection, has been caught stealing classified secrets, and for cooking the books with his charity, and is still the front runner for the nomination. His party is about to take back the fucking House. They are conducting full blown hearings on Jan 6 and the FBI had to raid his fucking house. And he could very will become president again. Pushing back against the bully isn't going to win elections and if they are defeated and lose both the legislative and executive, we will become a full blown fascist theocracy. It's not a handful of nutters anymore, it's half the fucking country. Half the entirety of our fucking electorate. People who would never in a million years vote dem for anything. I just don't understand what people with this line of thinking are expecting. It's one thing to stand up for a conviction even if you lose an election ala Liz Cheney, but if the entire party does it and loses power in both chambers and the presidency, it's far more dangerous than having to toe a line with these fucked up issues. It's not them, it's the electorate, people who are easily manipulated through fear and hatred, things the democratic party isn't capable of even if it tried because most positions are far more nuanced, things that republicans can avoid but democrats can't. It's why one party's electorate is hugely more educated than the other. Stupid people are easy to manipulate. Others aren't. Republicans have the stupids, they can't be swayed.

So what your solution is to try and work with them?

They do nothing but obstruct, lie, break laws, cheat, and steal 

Obviously playing nice is the only way to overcome it... As soon as they see how actually nice the rest of us are, they'll come to their senses.

It's emergency mode. It's time to crush them under the heel of the boot and strike down all of those that oppose freedom.

Or were could try to bargain with them, yet again, knowing that they have no moral compunction...

What's the solution?

You crush all their legislative goals, you crush all their gerrymandered districts, you make voting a right, you crush the filibuster, you decertify states that don't have full voting rights, take their seats in Congress, and expand the court, pack it, and put all of the terrorist dissidents in jail until they can be deprogrammed.

It's long past the time to play nice.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

You think the Supreme Court will keep him off the ballot?

It's not trump who owns the supreme court. It's the Federalist Society and the Koch brothers. And it's basically the same Supreme Court that turned away every single one of his claims in 2020. So, yes, I do.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, SKJ said:

And they still will not have read it, they'll only wait for their god to tell them what it says

So what your solution is to try and work with them?

They do nothing but obstruct, lie, break laws, cheat, and steal 

Obviously playing nice is the only way to overcome it... As soon as they see how actually nice the rest of us are, they'll come to their senses.

It's emergency mode. It's time to crush them under the heel of the boot and strike down all of those that oppose freedom.

Or were could try to bargain with them, yet again, knowing that they have no moral compunction...

What's the solution?

You crush all their legislative goals, you crush all their gerrymandered districts, you make voting a right, you crush the filibuster, you decertify states that don't have full voting rights, take their seats in Congress, and expand the court, pack it, and put all of the terrorist dissidents in jail until they can be deprogrammed.

It's long past the time to play nice.

Work with them? Play nice? Hell no. They should keep doing what they're doing. I want all of that shit to get done but they also need to stay in office and win more elections. Poking the bear too far will mean they lose elections, not because they're wrong, but because half the fucking electorate are brainwashed morons.

As for legislation, filibusters, voting rights, court packing, etc., don't bitch at the democratic party, take it up with two of their members, Old Coal Joe and Kyrsten the Twat.

My issue is blaming democrats for everything and not appreciating what they've accomplished considering what they're up against and what they continue to press despite possible, if not almost certain, negative repercussions from a massive swatch of idiots who we allow to vote. I follow a lot of progressive pages on social media and they bitch more about Joe Biden than they do fucking trump, cruz, etc. They won't vote democrat because they aren't progressive enough, so facism will thrive. Sometimes the lesser of two evils (I disagree that the democrats are "evil" by the way I just wish they could be more progressive) is the absolute right and necessary choice. I didn't like Hillary all that much, she was too conservative for a democrat in my opinion, too close to wall street, too much history supporting dumb shit from the 90s, but I happily voted for her and would do it a million times over since we knew at the time that trump would be a disaster. It's all just bearing out now. And yet, a huge group of lefties are going to stay home in 2024 because Biden is too old and white and centrist for their tastes, so trump it is yet again. Congrats everyone.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Who runs elections?

Much to our debit, as you obviously know, states run them. However, states and the federal government each have laws pertaining to fair elections, and every single state followed the applicable laws in 2020. Many of trump's cohorts tried their best to breach them and a number of his fellow perps will soon be in prison.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Work with them? Play nice? Hell no. They should keep doing what they're doing. I want all of that shit to get done but they also need to stay in office and win more elections. Poking the bear too far will mean they lose elections, not because they're wrong, but because half the fucking electorate are brainwashed morons.

As for legislation, filibusters, voting rights, court packing, etc., don't bitch at the democratic party, take it up with two of their members, Old Coal Joe and Kyrsten the Twat.

My issue is blaming democrats for everything and not appreciating what they've accomplished considering what they're up against and what they continue to press despite possible, if not almost certain, negative repercussions from a massive swatch of idiots who we allow to vote. I follow a lot of progressive pages on social media and they bitch more about Joe Biden than they do fucking trump, cruz, etc. They won't vote democrat because they aren't progressive enough, so facism will thrive. Sometimes the lesser of two evils (I disagree that the democrats are "evil" by the way I just wish they could be more progressive) is the absolute right and necessary choice. I didn't like Hillary all that much, she was too conservative for a democrat in my opinion, too close to wall street, too much history supporting dumb shit from the 90s, but I happily voted for her and would do it a million times over since we knew at the time that trump would be a disaster. It's all just bearing out now. And yet, a huge group of lefties are going to stay home in 2024 because Biden is too old and white and centrist for their tastes, so trump it is yet again. Congrats everyone.

Start here... 

Section 2 of the 14th Amendment provides a harsh penalty for any state where the right to vote is denied “or in any way abridged.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SKJ said:

Start here... 

Section 2 of the 14th Amendment provides a harsh penalty for any state where the right to vote is denied “or in any way abridged.”

Lol, good luck getting these chucklefucks to read it that way.

The year Supreme Court conservatives made their mark - CNNPolitics

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Lol, good luck getting these chucklefucks to read it that way.

Strongly agree they're chucklefucks. But they turned their backs on trump before and will do so again. Quite honestly with the motivation the gqp has provided many formerly complacent women to get out and vote, along with any homosexual, or a parent of a homosexual child, it won't be nearly as close in 2024 as it was in 2020. And in 2020 it wasn't close.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

He's going to run, even if ruled ineligible by deal or conviction, and that's when the shit really hits the fan.

51 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Maggie Haberman is like a mash-up of Josef Goebbels and Eva Braun for trump, so when even she says, as tepidly as possible, that trump's attorneys seem to have badly misjudged the situation, there is but one conclusion.

What? 

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement