Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

56 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Could he cover you or @SydneyCarton?

The guy was a trash player. Just a Muschamp safety blanket and mostly worthless outside of being able to set up personnel alignments. Most good 4A-6A WRs in Texas could eat that idiot's lunch. So, yes, I could have. I don't think Sydney has ever even been tackled in his life, much less had to go over the middle. 

Gideon sets me off these not just because he was a shit player who contributed to costing Texas a shot at the title in 2008, but now also because he's imposing his same stupid logic that he learned through Muschamp onto this team. Crawford and Taaffe have no business on the field against most match-ups. Crawford shouldn't be playing unless it's special teams or LB. Taaffe shouldn't be on the field unless Williams or Catalon is out there with him. Instead we see Crawford and Taaffe paired together for a third of the snaps each game, which also happen to be on drives where teams like BYU and Wyoming can't be pushed off the field. 

Step Brothers Mf GIF by reactionseditor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The guy was a trash player. Just a Muschamp safety blanket and mostly worthless outside of being able to set up personnel alignments. Most good 4A-6A WRs in Texas could eat that idiot's lunch. So, yes, I could have. I don't think Sydney has ever even been tackled in his life, much less had to go over the middle. 

Gideon sets me off these not just because he was a shit player who contributed to costing Texas a shot at the title in 2008, but now also because he's imposing his same stupid logic that he learned through Muschamp onto this team. Crawford and Taaffe have no business on the field against most match-ups. Crawford shouldn't be playing unless it's special teams or LB. Taaffe shouldn't be on the field unless Williams or Catalon is out there with him. Instead we see Crawford and Taaffe paired together for a third of the snaps each game, which also happen to be on drives where teams like BYU and Wyoming can't be pushed off the field. 

Step Brothers Mf GIF by reactionseditor

part of the reason those dudes have played in the last few games is because Catalon hasn't - both vs U of H and BYU.

i assume you are calling for more snaps for Derek Williams but who else? the only guys in the room outside of Bugg, Catalon, Williams are Crawford, Taaffe and 2 dudes who i assume will be portaling out at the end of the year (BJ Allen hasn't played in a game since Rice. Hyphen hasn't played in a single game this year)

with how many rotations they are playing at CB, i kind of question why they haven't tried to shift anyone over to safety to at least have some more cross training/guys ready.

it absolutely feels like we are going to see some portal movement at safety this offseason. guessing thompson comes back, catalon probably is NFL bound?, another year of williams would be great. did i imagine that Jordan or McDonald were talked about as potentially being safties vs CBs when they were recruited?

Aeryn Hampton sure seems to be on the Jaydon Blue "he may make it to campus, he may not, he may play a snap, he may not, he may stay with the program and he may pull a Cecil Cherry at any time" career path. i think he is more of a CB vs a safety? i also thought that JJR was a safety but maybe not. Robinson was listed as a safety by 247 but is a "DB" on the depth chart and hasn't played in a single game yet.

image.thumb.png.c169e777ce9517a1c8f538372b668b42.png

the participation report just let me know that 1) there is someone on the team named Tannehill Love 2) he plays LB and 3) he played vs Rice

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Raymond is going to be a problem from Charlotte to San Antonio as long as he’s working. I wish he’d take a G5 HC gig to give us a break for a few years ala the Frank Wilson Era at UTSA.

I wish Sark would dump Gideon and go after Raymond again, now that he’s been clear of all the LSU shit for a while. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Jimmy Lake is rested and ready

I'm not sure PK is going to be eager to bring back a guy that passed him up at Washington. Maybe he would be fine with it.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Isn't he like 6'5"? I get the feeling he is more of a goal post.

I'm 6'3. More of a First Down Marker, imo. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure PK is going to be eager to bring back a guy that passed him up at Washington. Maybe he would be fine with it.

I'm 6'3. More of a First Down Marker, imo. 

I heard Lake was kind of a prick about it, as well. Doubt that band is getting back together.

Rehashing old shit - but here's an article from when it happened explaining Kwiatkowski giving up play-calling to keep Lake on staff.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/the-uw-huskies-defense-is-in-the-midst-of-a-power-shakeup-heres-why-jimmy-lake-and-pete-kwiatkowski-made-it-happen-and-how-they-plan-to-make-it-work/

• Hook 'Em 1

I doubt it happens because the optics of Texas firing Blake Gideon, but Jimmy Lake was an outstanding coach who put plenty of people in the league. He also knows how to match up the secondary with PK front 7. PK and Lake honestly need each other cause they were both at their best when they had each other. 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lake is currently the assistant HC for the Rams, not sure what coaching he's actually doing but there are probably other safety coaches available that can upgrade from Gideon without the off-field bullshit that comes with Lake.

I’d personally like to hire another Cornerback coach and move Joseph over to safety. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

I doubt it happens because the optics of Texas firing Blake Gideon, but Jimmy Lake was an outstanding coach who put plenty of people in the league. He also knows how to match up the secondary with PK front 7. PK and Lake honestly need each other cause they were both at their best when they had each other. 

I’d personally like to hire another Cornerback coach and move Joseph over to safety. 

Raymond would be the dream hire in that scenario. It would always require a soft landing for Gideon. I just don't see it happening. 

Sark will need a lot of goodwill from our pearl clutching admin to hire Raymond... better win the conference. 

Also, would Raymond want the job? UF is one of the best DB gigs in the country. I guess it might depend on how he feels about Napier and his future. Their next coach probably tries to retain Raymond though. 

6 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Sark will need a lot of goodwill from our pearl clutching admin to hire Raymond... better win the conference. 

Also, would Raymond want the job? UF is one of the best DB gigs in the country. I guess it might depend on how he feels about Napier and his future. Their next coach probably tries to retain Raymond though. 

Bo got into a bit of trouble at Alabama, and yet he works for Texas. 

Raymond to Texas would be a total mercenary hire. I don't think he has any connections on the staff. If Gideon needs to go, I'd be fine with PK hiring a safeties coach that knows his system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You're not required to think as rigidly about personnel as the meatheaded moron calling the shots at safety. If there was high functioning leadership on the defensive side of the ball, we'd be seeing other people in the rotation. Jordan, Guilbeau and Barron can all play safety. Roberson and McDonald should be getting looks. If the secondary is net-better with Barron at safety and Guilbeau at NB, then fucking play that combo. 

Taaffe is a more likeable, slightly more athletic version of Blake Gideon. He's just not athletic enough to be out there against quality competition. Crawford would be a bad safety on a high school team as a 20-something year old man right now. He has no business being on the field. Texas could not do worse than that combo. 

It's not complicated. Football coaches crave predictability and comfort and they tend to favor players who remind them of themselves. They're often egotistical and below average intelligence. Blake Gideon checks all of those boxes. Kwiatkowski clearly isn't pushing him to solve anything. ]

They're just trotting out there whoever Gideon is feeling at that moment and the consequences are measurable on a weekly basis. The only thing I'm hopeful about with safety is that Williams continues to get more and more snaps until he's a fixture back there. 

For the BYU game the snap count per Scipio was Williams 46, Taaffe 36, Thompson 31, and Crawford 21. Crawford being the lowest and still too many snaps. He is easily one of the most athletic guys on the team but all that goes out the window when you have no clue what to do when the ball is snapped. Taaffe is probably the smartest safety we have at the moment and the coaches seem to be going with the thought that it’s easier to game plan with a guy that knows what to do rather than a more athletic guy who doesn’t. Fair. 

What I don’t understand is those guys have been here for a decent amount of time and the staff knows exactly who they are at this point. They went and got Catalon which was good but he’s made of glass. Considering all that, why would you not cross train the guys you mentioned, Jordan, Barron, and Guilbeau during the spring/summer? It seems straight forward in what should have been done.

To you point about rotation, I also don’t understand what they’re doing. Choate brought along Hill slowly with a couple of hiccups along the way but now he’s all over the place. His snap count compared to Gbenda is where it should be and will only grow. Joseph seemed to get the memo with MM as well, tho Watts getting injured might have helped too. Wtf is Gideon thinking with Crawford should be getting 20 snaps? Is it all on Gideon or is some of the blame fall on PK as well? 

17 minutes ago, Levi said:

Is it all on Gideon or is some of the blame fall on PK as well? 

Does PK seem like the kind of personality who is going to tell position coaches who to play?  He doesn't to me.  I think he's a "coordinator" in about the loosest sense of the term.  He calls the plays and that's about it.  Given that, Sark would need to step in and make the right thing happen.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

20 minutes ago, Levi said:

What I don’t understand is those guys have been here for a decent amount of time and the staff knows exactly who they are at this point. They went and got Catalon which was good but he’s made of glass. Considering all that, why would you not cross train the guys you mentioned, Jordan, Barron, and Guilbeau during the spring/summer? It seems straight forward in what should have been done.

Williams/Barron at safety with either Jordan or Gilbeau at star sounds pretty good right about now. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

part of the reason those dudes have played in the last few games is because Catalon hasn't - both vs U of H and BYU.
i assume you are calling for more snaps for Derek Williams but who else? the only guys in the room outside of Bugg, Catalon, Williams are Crawford, Taaffe and 2 dudes who i assume will be portaling out at the end of the year (BJ Allen hasn't played in a game since Rice. Hyphen hasn't played in a single game this year)
with how many rotations they are playing at CB, i kind of question why they haven't tried to shift anyone over to safety to at least have some more cross training/guys ready.
it absolutely feels like we are going to see some portal movement at safety this offseason. guessing thompson comes back, catalon probably is NFL bound?, another year of williams would be great. did i imagine that Jordan or McDonald were talked about as potentially being safties vs CBs when they were recruited?
Aeryn Hampton sure seems to be on the Jaydon Blue "he may make it to campus, he may not, he may play a snap, he may not, he may stay with the program and he may pull a Cecil Cherry at any time" career path. i think he is more of a CB vs a safety? i also thought that JJR was a safety but maybe not. Robinson was listed as a safety by 247 but is a "DB" on the depth chart and hasn't played in a single game yet.
the participation report just let me know that 1) there is someone on the team named Tannehill Love 2) he plays LB and 3) he played vs Rice

Sounds like an aggy fan club, don't remember seeing him on the field...and if he was he didn't do anything notable.

Sunbelt Billy isn't long for the SEC unless Flardah finishes the season really strong. Any of his assistants should be polishing up their resumes soon.

9 minutes ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, NoName said:

Sounds like an aggy fan club, don't remember seeing him on the field...and if he was he didn't do anything notable.

Walk-ons generally don't. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You're not required to think as rigidly about personnel as the meatheaded moron calling the shots at safety. If there was high functioning leadership on the defensive side of the ball, we'd be seeing other people in the rotation. Jordan, Guilbeau and Barron can all play safety. Roberson and McDonald should be getting looks. If the secondary is net-better with Barron at safety and Guilbeau at NB, then fucking play that combo. 

Taaffe is a more likeable, slightly more athletic version of Blake Gideon. He's just not athletic enough to be out there against quality competition. Crawford would be a bad safety on a high school team as a 20-something year old man right now. He has no business being on the field. Texas could not do worse than that combo. 

It's not complicated. Football coaches crave predictability and comfort and they tend to favor players who remind them of themselves. They're often egotistical and below average intelligence. Blake Gideon checks all of those boxes. Kwiatkowski clearly isn't pushing him to solve anything. ]

They're just trotting out there whoever Gideon is feeling at that moment and the consequences are measurable on a weekly basis. The only thing I'm hopeful about with safety is that Williams continues to get more and more snaps until he's a fixture back there. 

I think Taaffe is fine for this stretch of BYU & KSU. He has picks the last two weeks and at least he gets lined up correctly and knows where to go. I heard this QB Johnson is the fastest dude on their team, and he had a laser timed 4.52. That means that there likely isn't a receiver on that squad cracking a 4.6. That sounds like just the type of game that Taafe can play. Now I don't want to see him on the field versus TCU at all, but he should be serviceable this game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

i agree with all of this.

wonder when his contract is over and if his ties to Texas save him. have to imagine with everything rocking and rolling it makes it easier to move on from him.

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

i agree with all of this.

wonder when his contract is over and if his ties to Texas save him. have to imagine with everything rocking and rolling it makes it easier to move on from him.

Maybe a North Texas or Incarnate will throw him a DC position.  He's not going to coach ST or safeties somewhere else unless he's publicly fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That was the last game Florida will be favored in for the rest of the season. 5-7 is still very much in play for them. 

Yep, Florida's next three:  @ LSU, @ Mizzou, vs FSU.

Come on down Mack and Filsaime.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

There is a decent chance Napier will be coaching to save his job that last week against FSU now. There are lot of key people around Gainesville who never wanted him in the first place and they were already handing out freshly sharpened pitchforks and lit torches early this year when things seemed to be headed down the toilet. 

Obviously that talk quieted down when they started playing better and won some key recruiting victories but if they miss a bowl? I don't think he survives that. If nothing else this should help take the pressure off with Robinson. 

4 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

There is a decent chance Napier will be coaching to save his job that last week against FSU now. There are lot of key people around Gainesville who never wanted him in the first place and they were already handing out freshly sharpened pitchforks and lit torches early this year when things seemed to be headed down the toilet. 

Obviously that talk quieted down when they started playing better and won some key recruiting victories but if they miss a bowl? I don't think he survives that. If nothing else this should help take the pressure off with Robinson. 

Who would they accept as the new HC? And who would want it that makes sense?

36 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

They’re not firing him after two years, that would take an exceptional disaster of mass decommits and transfers and total locker room revolt which doesn’t remotely seem to be and issue. Florida is now in the exact same situation as Texas was in 2015 with Charlie Strong.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 1