Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

As we've discussed previously here, everyone should expect the majority of UT recruits to drop over time in the On3 rankings as long as the current guys handling them are in charge. They think they're really smart and penalizing recruits that commit to UT is good business, since they believe they'll be justified when the players don't live up to the height or get drafted well.

As long as the talent eval is right, guys moving up and down a few slots on 3rd party recruiting boards is pretty meaningless. It is like the hundreds of idiots out there doing mock drafts every season on youtube.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't the kind of thing to post in a public forum. Confessing to borderline child abuse is a grim cry for help.

Your children might grow up to be the first ever roster of college athletes that have early onset diabetes. I'm comfortable with my decision here. 

Also, cereal and a 6 year old is messy, and I don't have to clean that shit up. Feels like a win/win here. 

• Haha 3

Ears with a grab bag of mostly worthless info

Spoiler

The second round of the Texas high school football playoffs are complete. With the area round over, teams will have to win three more games to make it to AT&T Stadium for the state championships. 247Sports was on the road this weekend covering a myriad of games in the state.

While on the road, we gathered intel from sources and talked to several players about where their recruitments stand. In this week's edition of The Road Report, we've got a loaded notebook of recruiting tidbits from some of the top prospects in 2024 and 2025.

Top247 Waco (Texas) Connally Kobe Black has a commitment date set for November 29. Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State are the schools with the most buzz though Black hasn’t officially named any finalists. Texas holds the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead with all four predictions on the Longhorns. Texas has been a perceived leader in the race for Black for quite some time, and nothing has changed enough to alter the confidence on those picks. Texas A&M remains in flux following the dismissal of Jimbo Fisher while Oklahoma State is trying to make a push with his brother Korie Black on the Cowboys roster. We’ll monitor the next week, but it looks like the confidence in Texas is well-founded at the moment.

2024 Jasper (Texas) linebacker Tyanthony Smith seems to be staying firm to Texas A&M at the moment. The three-star prospect said he’s waiting to see where Texas A&M will go with their coaching search. Smith is set to make an official visit to Texas on Friday when the Longhorns play host to Texas Tech. The Longhorns are pushing to make the flip, but Smith doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to make a rash decision. If the visit happens, it will take some interesting timing. Jasper is set to play at 3:00 p.m. on Friday in Houston and would presumably leave for Austin afterwards. With travel time to Austin a factor, Smith would likely miss most of the game and take the rest of the visit throughout the weekend. We will see if that timing causes him to reschedule.

2025 Top247 Jasper (Texas) ATH Kiotti Armstrong isn’t focusing much on recruiting at the moment, but he named Texas A&M, Alabama and Texas as the three schools standing out for him at the moment. The Aggies have done the best job recruiting him so far, and he’s also waiting to see where Texas A&M goes with its coaching search. There’s no time crunch for Armstrong who plans to take his official visits next summer and make a decision prior to his senior season. Alabama’s NFL production and Texas’ use of Ja’Tavion Sanders have both schools in the battle with Texas A&M, and his recruitment should ramp up more during the spring.

2025 Top247 Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove defensive lineman Lance Jackson named Texas, Tennessee and Arkansas as three programs standing out most. Jackson visited Knoxville over the weekend to see the Vols and his brother Landon Jackson is having a big year at Arkansas. The Razorbacks have a lot of influence in Texarkana, and they also hold a commitment from his teammate Ahkhari Johnson. Texas seems to be the school with the most buzz right now as Jackson took notice of the Longhorns’ defensive line development this year. He signled out Texas freshman Ethan Burke as a player with a similar skillset, and he feels he could be a fit in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense.

2024 Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff wide receiver Elijah Baesa was decked out in TCU purple during SOC’s area-round win over Melissa (Texas), but he said that was merely a fashion choice. The Arizona State commit remains a firm pledge to the Sun Devils and plans to sign in December. Baesa said that Nebraska has been coming on lately, but he’s invested in the relationship he has with ASU assistant Ra’Shaad Samples.

2024 Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove cornerback Ahkhari Johnson said that despite the down year for the Razorbacks, he’s not entertaining contact from other staffs. Johnson made his commitment to Arkansas before the year, and he’s comfortable with the environment in Fayetteville and excited about his future. Arkansas made Johnson a priority from the time they started recruiting him, and he wants to reward their loyalty.

2024 Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove safety Kaden McFadden is excited about his future at Duke. The Blue Devils commit has heard some of the talk about head coach Mike Elko being involved with the Texas A&M coaching search, but he’s had a few talks with Elko about it. McFadden isn’t listening to contact from other schools, and he loves the education and athletic fit with Duke.

2025 Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy tight end Bear Tenney made his fair share of visits over the year since moving to the Dallas area from Arizona. When 247Sports spoke with Tenney earlier in the year, he indicated that he wanted to make a decision this fall. While no commitment date is set, a source I spoke with indicated that Michigan was the school to watch for Tenney. While there is still room for changes with Tenney, I’ve entered a 247Sports Crystal Ball for the Wolverines.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your children might grow up to be the first ever roster of college athletes that have early onset diabetes. I'm comfortable with my decision here. 

Also, cereal and a 6 year old is messy, and I don't have to clean that shit up. Feels like a win/win here. 

My heart aches that your child won't understand the wonder and joy of: Oh's, Cocoa Pebbles, Capn Crunch Berries, Grape Nuts with 3 spoons of sugar, Frosted Flakes, Chocolate Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Life, Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Mini Wheats until they get to college and realize what you've been depriving them of, selfishly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Ears with a grab bag of mostly worthless info

Reveal hidden contents

The second round of the Texas high school football playoffs are complete. With the area round over, teams will have to win three more games to make it to AT&T Stadium for the state championships. 247Sports was on the road this weekend covering a myriad of games in the state.

While on the road, we gathered intel from sources and talked to several players about where their recruitments stand. In this week's edition of The Road Report, we've got a loaded notebook of recruiting tidbits from some of the top prospects in 2024 and 2025.

Top247 Waco (Texas) Connally Kobe Black has a commitment date set for November 29. Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State are the schools with the most buzz though Black hasn’t officially named any finalists. Texas holds the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead with all four predictions on the Longhorns. Texas has been a perceived leader in the race for Black for quite some time, and nothing has changed enough to alter the confidence on those picks. Texas A&M remains in flux following the dismissal of Jimbo Fisher while Oklahoma State is trying to make a push with his brother Korie Black on the Cowboys roster. We’ll monitor the next week, but it looks like the confidence in Texas is well-founded at the moment.

2024 Jasper (Texas) linebacker Tyanthony Smith seems to be staying firm to Texas A&M at the moment. The three-star prospect said he’s waiting to see where Texas A&M will go with their coaching search. Smith is set to make an official visit to Texas on Friday when the Longhorns play host to Texas Tech. The Longhorns are pushing to make the flip, but Smith doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to make a rash decision. If the visit happens, it will take some interesting timing. Jasper is set to play at 3:00 p.m. on Friday in Houston and would presumably leave for Austin afterwards. With travel time to Austin a factor, Smith would likely miss most of the game and take the rest of the visit throughout the weekend. We will see if that timing causes him to reschedule.

2025 Top247 Jasper (Texas) ATH Kiotti Armstrong isn’t focusing much on recruiting at the moment, but he named Texas A&M, Alabama and Texas as the three schools standing out for him at the moment. The Aggies have done the best job recruiting him so far, and he’s also waiting to see where Texas A&M goes with its coaching search. There’s no time crunch for Armstrong who plans to take his official visits next summer and make a decision prior to his senior season. Alabama’s NFL production and Texas’ use of Ja’Tavion Sanders have both schools in the battle with Texas A&M, and his recruitment should ramp up more during the spring.

2025 Top247 Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove defensive lineman Lance Jackson named Texas, Tennessee and Arkansas as three programs standing out most. Jackson visited Knoxville over the weekend to see the Vols and his brother Landon Jackson is having a big year at Arkansas. The Razorbacks have a lot of influence in Texarkana, and they also hold a commitment from his teammate Ahkhari Johnson. Texas seems to be the school with the most buzz right now as Jackson took notice of the Longhorns’ defensive line development this year. He signled out Texas freshman Ethan Burke as a player with a similar skillset, and he feels he could be a fit in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense.

2024 Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff wide receiver Elijah Baesa was decked out in TCU purple during SOC’s area-round win over Melissa (Texas), but he said that was merely a fashion choice. The Arizona State commit remains a firm pledge to the Sun Devils and plans to sign in December. Baesa said that Nebraska has been coming on lately, but he’s invested in the relationship he has with ASU assistant Ra’Shaad Samples.

2024 Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove cornerback Ahkhari Johnson said that despite the down year for the Razorbacks, he’s not entertaining contact from other staffs. Johnson made his commitment to Arkansas before the year, and he’s comfortable with the environment in Fayetteville and excited about his future. Arkansas made Johnson a priority from the time they started recruiting him, and he wants to reward their loyalty.

2024 Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove safety Kaden McFadden is excited about his future at Duke. The Blue Devils commit has heard some of the talk about head coach Mike Elko being involved with the Texas A&M coaching search, but he’s had a few talks with Elko about it. McFadden isn’t listening to contact from other schools, and he loves the education and athletic fit with Duke.

2025 Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy tight end Bear Tenney made his fair share of visits over the year since moving to the Dallas area from Arizona. When 247Sports spoke with Tenney earlier in the year, he indicated that he wanted to make a decision this fall. While no commitment date is set, a source I spoke with indicated that Michigan was the school to watch for Tenney. While there is still room for changes with Tenney, I’ve entered a 247Sports Crystal Ball for the Wolverines.

image.jpeg.44b6c47434d033c816fa6b5d2e17f706.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My heart aches that your child won't understand the wonder and joy of: Oh's, Cocoa Pebbles, Capn Crunch Berries, Grape Nuts with 3 spoons of sugar, Frosted Flakes, Chocolate Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Life, Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Mini Wheats until they get to college and realize what you've been depriving them of, selfishly. 

He's definitely on a slippery slope once they get to college and start experimenting with other forms of cereal.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As we've discussed previously here, everyone should expect the majority of UT recruits to drop over time in the On3 rankings as long as the current guys handling them are in charge. They think they're really smart and penalizing recruits that commit to UT is good business, since they believe they'll be justified when the players don't live up to the height or get drafted well.

Do you consider the 247 composite list to be the "best" of all the ranking lists or is there some other list I should be referencing?

11 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Do you consider the 247 composite list to be the "best" of all the ranking lists or is there some other list I should be referencing?

I haven't thought about it much until you asked this question, but I *think* my behavior at this point is valuing the schools who are putting real effort in on a recruit over anything else. I only really follow the rankings at this point for the vanity side of things. When Gerry and Burton and Howe were really involved with the work at 247, I thought they were just destroying anything else out there, but that's been over a decade. I've become pretty disillusioned about the rankings across the board over the years. Hearing the stories about On3 and Rivals lately just has me shaking my head. Some people think that Rivals is just waiting to see what the other services are doing first and then just mixing the list up some and peppering it with favorites from some of the publishers with the most subscriptions to their sites. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cleaning up some cereal is inconvenient?   No, I will tell you what is inconvenient- when it comes time for that child, neglected of the joys of cereal by you, chooses your nursing home and sorts by “priced lowest to highest” because he/she holds a (legitimate) grudge.  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Cereal cleanup is super easy when your kids don't eat it with milk, but instead they just grab handfuls straight from the box. 

Also, teaching your kid to clean up after himself is something you should look into. It's marvelous. 

I think you should keep firing off as much condescending parenting advice to Sydney as you possibly can. If we work together on this, there's a legitimate shot that his head might explode before Thanksgiving.

• Haha 8

Nothing will ever compare to the maddening fury I didn't know I was capable of outwardly expressing as when my mother gave my twins a gigantic box of Nerds for Halloween. Try cleaning that shit up in a hardwood living room then let's talk because you can't sweep Nerds up, they just scurry across the room in the opposite direction.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

QE returning + our top 4 WR/TE all leaving seems like it would be of great interest to a dude like Ryan Williams.

I know they’re not draft analysts - but Gerry/Bobby (IT) have both been down on Sanders draft prospects. 

Bobby thinks his blocking issues are going to drop him and Gerry thinks blocking and short arms are going to give NFL teams pause.  Neither are saying he comes back - but they both think his draft grade is going to be lower than he’s hoping and that a year back could improve his stock. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I know they’re not draft analysts - but Gerry/Bobby (IT) have both been down on Sanders draft prospects. 

Bobby thinks his blocking issues are going to drop him and Gerry thinks blocking and short arms are going to give NFL teams pause.  Neither are saying he comes back - but they both think his draft grade is going to be lower than he’s hoping and that a year back could improve his stock. 

Rex the Dinosaur from Toy Story Desktop Wallpaper

How is an extra year going to improve the length of your arms?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tree Fidy said:

Cleaning up some cereal is inconvenient?   No, I will tell you what is inconvenient- when it comes time for that child, neglected of the joys of cereal by you, chooses your nursing home and sorts by “priced lowest to highest” because he/she holds a (legitimate) grudge.  

Please. I'll choose my own nursing home or I'll have died or had a stroke and turned into a vegetablewell before nursing home age, in which case I'm fucked either way and this is irrelevent. Also, he should mind his Ps and Qs while I still have power of attorney and an inheritance worth taking into account. 

38 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Nothing will ever compare to the maddening fury I didn't know I was capable of outwardly expressing as when my mother gave my twins a gigantic box of Nerds for Halloween. Try cleaning that shit up in a hardwood living room then let's talk because you can't sweep Nerds up, they just scurry across the room in the opposite direction.

You should introduce yourself to the joys of dog ownership. 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you should keep firing off as much condescending parenting advice to Sydney as you possibly can. If we work together on this, there's a legitimate shot that his head might explode before Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure about my head exploding, but laughing until I pop a blood vessel in my eye or triggering an asthma attack is certainly on the table. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You forgot the best one

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My kid doesn't even know cereal exists. 

This sounds like a father that had a kid on the late side (also me) and wont stand for a mess. I should know, we can smell our own. 

Edited to add. Looks like you confirmed it later. 

Edited by Da Fino
Follow up

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

SydneyCarton is the shredded wheat of Surly right now.

Size contingent on country of origin, looks healthier than it really is, your mom's favorite, fragile exterior, fragile interior, can get mushy when bathed in wet. 

My brother in christ, we are all shredded wheat. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per Bobby/Gerry Christian Clark is trying to jump through all the loops of Arizona to become a early enrollee.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

…They [On3]think they're really smart and penalizing recruits that commit to UT is good business, since they believe they'll be justified when the players don't live up to the height or get drafted well.

So today I have learned that…

Even when recruits are willing to jump through loops to become eligible to play for the Longhorns, those recruits rarely live up to the height.

🤔

Apparently I missed a lot this morning.

PS- My “sugar coated cereal” growing up was the sugar found coated on the raisins of Raisin Bran… good times at Napoleon’s breakfast table. 

I didn’t get sugar cereals until my freshman dorm cafeteria… where Cap’n Crunch prepared 5 to 10 minutes before I was done with my meal (to give it time to soak) became an staple of my dinner meal.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Tres Leches, Count Chocula...

Forget his kids. He's depriving himself. First thing I did after work was pour myself a large bowl of Lucky Charms.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

recruiting relevant info:

image.thumb.png.d2834faf180758c712b0372f162fdfc5.png

notes off the top of my head:

• Carter had 2 to play 2 and was a grad transfer.
  • Neyor leaving means Texas rolls into next year likely with only Cain, Cook, Niblett, Moore and incoming freshmen. absolutely will see transfer portal used here
  • Jake Majors 🫥
  • only guys with no more eligibility are K Robinson, Christian Jones, T'Vondre Sweat, Jett Bush, Ryan Sanborn
  • losing a shitload of talent in the secondary - both of the 2 deep at FS, starter at boundary safety (Bugg), STAR (Barron), Boundary CB (Watts)

as a reminder last year Christian Jones and Jordan Whittington went through Senior day.

defensive 2 roster without guys leaving looks drastically different:

image.thumb.png.2563ed2f84e1a477697e911e661a9d60.png

Screenshot_20231120-211634_kindlephoto-31173824.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1