Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

holy fuck that’s one dumb cunt

that judge has a ton of patience !!

Judges aren't going to lose their shit and give the accused any shot at reversible error.

Twenty+ years ago in state court, the hearing before me was a tax hearing, motion for judgment against a delinquent payer.  Pretty straight-forward case -- dude didn't pay his taxes.  His defense involved a portable display of multiple American flags, and a rambling screed about every man being his own sovereign, these flags used to stand for something, blah blah blah.  Judge patiently let him give his speech.  Then asked some direct questions about whether he had any evidence on fact issues X or Y.  Guy admits that he doesn't, but says he doesn't need them.  Judge said "I understand, but I'm going to follow the law as I'm required to.  Motion granted.

After my hearing, the court's day was over, so I asked the judge privately how often he saw people taking that approach.  He sighed, and said it was becoming more frequent (this was in the time of the "Republic of Texas" movement).  He just lets them say their bit, and then rules how the law requires, which means they always lose.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

It's amazing how many Republicans were hitting and beating up cops, when said Republicans weren't even cornered or anything - just trying to knock the shit out of cops who were walking through the crowd.  The amount of arrogance, and yeah, white privilege, was stunning.  Those assholes were hitting and beating cops in such a casual way, not trying to run off, even continuing to press the attack.

The videos of this crowd beating cops, and the Republicans blowing it off as a bunch of tourists, should be used by Democrats in 2022 campaign ads.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

My 1L Contracts professor, Anthony Skrocki, only drilled two things into my head...the incredible under-utilization of duress as a way to get out of contracts.  And, "in this country...you get 20 years for murder...you'll be out in 10.  But you get 20 years for tax evasion and you'll do every single day of it.  Because you fucked with the system."  I think his contracts textbook is still widely published and used today.  I wonder if he's still alive, he'd have to be 85 now.  Helluva nice guy.  

On 6/20/2021 at 7:18 AM, JimmyJames said:

Oh and here’s the good news. 

Joe Biden is the head of the executive branch of the federal government. And will be for four years. Which means he ultimately controls the FBI, DOJ, the American military, etc.

I tend to think people somewhat underestimate how powerful that is and how destructive that can be under a guy like trump. The insurrection happened because trump wanted it to happen and his position is powerful enough to pull it off. The only thing that saved us the last four years is trump is such a narcissistic buffoon that he was mentally incapable of leveraging that power to become a Putin like dictator.

Well, there’s more too it than that.  I am reminded of what HST said when he was clearing out for Ike:

“He’ll sit here, and he’ll say, ‘Do this! Do that!’ And nothing will happen. Poor Ike—it won’t be a bit like the Army. He’ll find it very frustrating.”

For as much hate as it gets, the bureaucracy and its inertia and rules is one of the major impediments to authoritarian rule in the United States. That’s part of the reason most politicians of all stripes hate it. Part of it is by design and structure, part of it is the type of people who are actually running the apparatus of government. I laugh when I hear people talk about radical unelected bureaucrats, they are a really rare breed and also quite easily defeated by the weight of the organizations.  Which reminds me of another HST quote.

Wherever you have an efficient government you have a dictatorship

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's the internet. People self-select their "education" on sites like YouTube without the critical thinking skills necessary to vet sources or fact check what they are hearing. They just consume content that triggers a dopamine response in their brains without thinking or caring if it's even based in reality. 

This.

These guys read that they are separate legal entities from their "person," and US courts with a flag with gold fringe only have admiralty jurisdiction, and blah blah blah, and MAN!  That sounds AWESOME!  I cracked the code!  Wait till I show some fancy-pants smarty-pants judge the what for!  I'll dazzle him with my Big Brain knowledge of irrefutable legal truths!  Nobody can touch me!  I am a sovereign, invincible nation unto myself, Youtube account "freedomeagle25" says so!

......which is how you end up on the floor with electricity running through you, pissing your pants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

These guys read that they are separate legal entities from their "person," and US courts with a flag with gold fringe only have admiralty jurisdiction, and blah blah blah, and MAN!  That sounds AWESOME!  I cracked the code!  Wait till I show some fancy-pants smarty-pants judge the what for!  I'll dazzle him with my Big Brain knowledge of irrefutable legal truths!  Nobody can touch me!  I am a sovereign, invincible nation unto myself, Youtube account "freedomeagle25" says so!

......which is how you end up on the floor with electricity running through you, pissing your pants.

It doesn't matter which US flag is flying, fringe or no fringe. The US is a heretic work of fiction mentioned nowhere in the Treaty of Tordesillas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This.

You’re violating my rights!!!

What rights? You mean as a citizen?

Thinking this through, if you’re a sovereign, you forfeit your rights as a US citizen. Aren’t you just an alien? That means you can be detained by the government. And since you have no property or homeland, you’ve put yourself in legal purgatory. You’re like Tom Hanks in the Airport movie.

To get diplomatic immunity, the US would have to recognize your status as a sovereign.

Is this how it works, kind of?
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You’re violating my rights!!!

What rights? You mean as a citizen?

Thinking this through, if you’re a sovereign, you forfeit your rights as a US citizen. Aren’t you just an alien? That means you can be detained by the government. And since you have no property or homeland, you’ve put yourself in legal purgatory. You’re like Tom Hanks in the Airport movie.

To get diplomatic immunity, the US would have to recognize your status as a sovereign.

Is this how it works, kind of?

You left out the part about needing a lobotomy, but basically, yes, if you want to tease out the logic of the situation, they have made a unilateral declaration that grants them no international legal standing without at a minimum bilateral agreements with the U.S. government. Not a smart move, even if it weren't insane.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:05 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Well, there’s more too it than that.  I am reminded of what HST said when he was clearing out for Ike:

For as much hate as it gets, the bureaucracy and its inertia and rules is one of the major impediments to authoritarian rule in the United States. That’s part of the reason most politicians of all stripes hate it. Part of it is by design and structure, part of it is the type of people who are actually running the apparatus of government. I laugh when I hear people talk about radical unelected bureaucrats, they are a really rare breed and also quite easily defeated by the weight of the organizations.  Which reminds me of another HST quote.

Hitler had the trains running on time!

21 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

A little more about Graydon below. Roger Stone in the Oval Office, bleeeeech. Something that is important to note is the alliance Graydon formed with other militia members in other states. This is important because even with the FBI/DOJ working to identify people and attempt to get people to turn on each other, there are still people who will have fallen through the cracks, escaped notice. As long as Roger is still out walking around, he will be coordinating the growth of the enforcement and attack arms of the RW.

• Hook 'Em 1

We need to tap into the wreath  fund, purchase a few Gritty outfits, and send some Surlyites to welcome these defendants as they arrive at the courthouse.  Or to stand out in front of the prison when they arrive to serve their sentence.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We need to tap into the wreath  fund, purchase a few Gritty outfits, and send some Surlyites to welcome these defendants as they arrive at the courthouse.  Or to stand out in front of the prison when they arrive to serve their sentence.

while waving a flag 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I am going as Gritty for Halloween.  My friend who is a costume designer is going to make the head.  Then I am just going to have a jersey, leggings, and All Stars.  Great for walking in the parade.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am going as Gritty for Halloween.  My friend who is a costume designer is going to make the head.  Then I am just going to have a jersey, leggings, and All Stars.  Great for walking in the parade.  

You could save your costume designer friend some time:

https://www.rastaimposta.com/cat-18-1-40/nhl-philadelphia-flyers-gritty.htm#categoryFiltered

• Hook 'Em 1

You’re gonna traipse around NYC (Rangers turf) in a gritty costume on Halloween?

You may learn more about FAFO than you realize.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Player said:

You’re gonna traipse around NYC (Rangers turf) in a gritty costume on Halloween?

You may learn more about FAFO than you realize.

I do not know if there are a lot of Hockey Fans at the Village Halloween Parade.  However, I will absolutely have a Trump/Rudy sign that indicates I am Gritty the FAAFO political meme vs. the Philly mascot.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I do not know if there are a lot of Hockey Fans at the Village Halloween Parade.  However, I will absolutely have a Trump/Rudy sign that indicates I am Gritty the FAAFO political meme vs. the Philly mascot.

Don't forget to have the jersey tailored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3