Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

Why do people keep saying this? I don't know Charlie the guy at all. Never met the guy. Don't know anything about him. I mean I get why people preface saying this and having to say it before trashing how bad he is as a coach. You can figure it out. I don't love Charlie the guy. I don't know him

You might as well shut down this site and all of social media if you can only have personal opinions about people you have personally met.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I have zero affinity for Urban or the Jaguars, and I'm not an 'All media is fake news' guy but the national sports media annoys the shit out of me. Most of this Urban shit seems like a non story to me. The Jaguars suck? Shocking. The national sports media loves nothing more than a good feeding frenzy like this. Obviously when you come into a new situation as the head dude in charge with a new set of rules you are going to ruffle some feathers and make some enemies. Ho hum. For no other reason than sheer curiosity, I'd like to see if/what he could do to that organization in 3 years. This was never going to be a quick fix, it's wild to me that the media is acting like the Jags being 2-11 is some sort of unpredictable, unmitigated disaster. 

Edited by Baboontyme

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

He didn't help his cause by staying behind and not flying home with his team so he could fingerbang some girl's butthole earlier this season. All bets were off at that point. 

That combined with the fact he has obviously created a whole bunch of enemies that couldn't wait to get their knives out after that debacle

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's one thing to suck with a bad roster. I don't think anybody is piling on him for that. The were expected to be bad. People are piling on him because he has shit down his leg at every possible moment since he got that job and has come off as completely unprepared for what it takes to be an NFL coach. Off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things:

• tried to hire racist Iowa strength coach in middle of BLM movement
  • made comfort hires on his coaching staff who had little or no pro experience (Strong, Ash, etc.) and were probably unqualified
  • the guys he did hire with pro experience are considered extremely meh
  • took a RB waaaaaay too early in the draft, especially given the hundred other needs of that team
  • Tebow
  • telling another coach that every week in the NFL is like playing Bama. Ya think, Urbs?
  • fingerbang mary jane rotten crotch while spending time with the grandkids
  • playing fucked up games with playing time
  • throwing assistant coaches that he hired under the bus
  • acting like an arrogant know it all ass

Yep I'm aware of all of that. My contention is that none of it aside from the lap dance incident amounts to much, and would probably be going largely unnoticed if the national media didn't have a hard on for the guy. Whatever, not my fight to pick but it's somewhat of a tired routine to me. 

13 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Yep I'm aware of all of that. My contention is that none of it aside from the lap dance incident amounts to much, and would probably be going largely unnoticed if the national media didn't have a hard on for the guy. Whatever, not my fight to pick but it's somewhat of a tired routine to me. 

I think the media treats Urbs with kid gloves honestly. But I follow almost zero full on sports media so maybe I'm way off.

You could draw some (not a lot) of parallels between Jimmy Johnson’s first year in the NFL. The Jags have been however mismanaged from their inception pretty much. I do remember Johnson saying after his first season when he disappeared to the Bahamas for a week (no one knew where he was essentially) that he’d felt done with football. But somehow he regrouped. You have to get the buy in from some critical players. You have to not call ur staff losers. I bet Meyer will get a second year unless something more damaging comes out we haven’t heard about or he just gives up. 

I am not saying he will ever be as successful for a season as Johnson was at all. Not saying that. But if he seriously wants to win and make this work he’s going to make radical changes. You can’t treat NFL players like college players. Who knows what he thought this would be like. But if he gets a second year definitely he’s going to have to change like pretty much everything. I don’t know if he has it in him to dig that deep. Pun intended. 

30 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Making Trevor Lawrence look like a total JAG is a much bigger problem for him than the adultery scandal and being an ass in general.  There are a lot of douchebag football coaches, but the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck isn’t supposed to struggle like this in today’s football.  The idea that QBs take 3 years to not completely suck is long gone - it’s not 1990 anymore.  

I mean Brian Schottenheimer is the QB/Passing game coach which is honestly impossible for me to say without laughing.

Back in the day (like last year) I wouldn't have given much credence to the latest article about him laying into people and asking coaches to justify their worth in public. But these days, strange and ludicrous news like that ends up being more factual than not. The surprise isn't that he has struggled-- it's the NFL and he took over a bad team--it's the dysfunction of it all. 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I said, ‘Don’t you ever f--king kick me again!’ And his response was, ‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the f--k I want.’”

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Idk what’s funnier. Him saying that as a retort or fucking picking on his kicker. A fucking kicker. Hey Urban, go pull that shit with Malcom Brown or Chaisson and see what happens 

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t saban reportedly do some similar shit when he was with the dolphins? Stepped on a player who was having a stroke or something then yelled “never look me in the eye” and just walked off. And later told the team he could never show weakness as the head coach. Something along those lines. Maybe these great college coaches just don’t translate to the NFL? 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Didn’t saban reportedly do some similar shit when he was with the dolphins? Stepped on a player who was having a stroke or something then yelled “never look me in the eye” and just walked off. And later told the team he could never show weakness as the head coach. Something along those lines. Maybe these great college coaches just don’t translate to the NFL? 🤷‍♂️

Easier to tough guy some 18-22 kid making pennies than grown men making double or triple your salary? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Easier to tough guy some 18-22 kid making pennies than grown men making double or triple your salary? 

On 12/13/2021 at 4:18 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's one thing to suck with a bad roster. I don't think anybody is piling on him for that. The were expected to be bad. People are piling on him because he has shit down his leg at every possible moment since he got that job and has come off as completely unprepared for what it takes to be an NFL coach. Off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things:

• tried to hire racist Iowa strength coach in middle of BLM movement
  • made comfort hires on his coaching staff who had little or no pro experience (Strong, Ash, etc.) and were probably unqualified
  • the guys he did hire with pro experience are considered extremely meh
  • took a RB waaaaaay too early in the draft, especially given the hundred other needs of that team
  • Tebow
  • telling another coach that every week in the NFL is like playing Bama. Ya think, Urbs?
  • fingerbang mary jane rotten crotch while spending time with the grandkids
  • playing fucked up games with playing time
  • throwing assistant coaches that he hired under the bus
  • acting like an arrogant know it all ass

And that was just day one...

Didn’t saban reportedly do some similar shit when he was with the dolphins? Stepped on a player who was having a stroke or something then yelled “never look me in the eye” and just walked off. And later told the team he could never show weakness as the head coach. Something along those lines. Maybe these great college coaches just don’t translate to the NFL?

Maybe. I don’t remember. But Saban was damn near .500 with somebody like Cleo Lemon as his QB. Urban is gonna be 2-15 or 3-14.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. I don’t remember. But Saban was damn near .500 with somebody like Cleo Lemon as his QB. Urban is gonna be 2-15 or 3-14.

LOL.  Here are the gems Saban had to work with in his two years at Miami.  Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfels, Daunte Culpepper (got injured and put on IR) Joey Harrington, and the aforementioned Cleo Lemon.  

• Like 1

Saban would have been successful in Miami and my two favorite football players ever would have played together if the medical staff would have cleared Brees. 

And never would have coached at Alabama. Colt beats the shit out of Florida and Will Muschamp takes over, firing Greg Davis, and bringing in Dana Holgerson as OC.

Of course, what if Mackovic recruited Brees and stayed on until 2000?

On 12/13/2021 at 5:22 PM, Nicole44 said:

You could draw some (not a lot) of parallels between Jimmy Johnson’s first year in the NFL. The Jags have been however mismanaged from their inception pretty much. I do remember Johnson saying after his first season when he disappeared to the Bahamas for a week (no one knew where he was essentially) that he’d felt done with football. But somehow he regrouped. You have to get the buy in from some critical players. You have to not call ur staff losers. I bet Meyer will get a second year unless something more damaging comes out we haven’t heard about or he just gives up. 

I am not saying he will ever be as successful for a season as Johnson was at all. Not saying that. But if he seriously wants to win and make this work he’s going to make radical changes. You can’t treat NFL players like college players. Who knows what he thought this would be like. But if he gets a second year definitely he’s going to have to change like pretty much everything. I don’t know if he has it in him to dig that deep. Pun intended. 

Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
  • Haha 1