Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

When did Abbott cede all the states energy to solar?   They've been singing the praises of drilling for natural gas because it was cheap and plentiful for awhile now.  It's astonishing to find out the Liberals have been running the states energy.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

56 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Anthony’s? My parents used to shop at one. Most of my clothes were from Sears, though. Dillard’s was faaaancy. 

Indeed.  They had some sweet velcro shoes back in the day.  Did Anthony's have that weird contraption where they sent your receipts through pneumatic tubes?

And Sears was a big hit with my mom too - we did do Dillard's sometimes but that was for SPECIAL occasions. 

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will say my consideration of leaving Texas is not based on the politicians.  Yeah the Texas Republicans that run this state are vile and awful but they are not who I interact with on a daily basis.  My problem is the people living here.  I am in an affluent suburb north of Dallas.  I am honestly sick of being around people that watch Fox News all day long and are anti science and against overall progress and more concerned with religious stuff.  I can’t tell you how many people I know near me that are blaming this winter weather fiasco on renewable energy.  I think I want to be around let’s say more intelligent people.  This includes for my 15 year old sons sake also.  He is surrounded by a bunch of dumb asses and that is probably not the best environment to raise a child in.  It’s the little things like seeing my district spend 10 million dollars on a middle school football field as opposed to improving the actual education of the children just pisses me off and I am all for school athletics but some peoples priorities are out of whack.  I blame lack of intelligence for that.

Yeah when I chose to leave TX/OK it wasn't really the politics but all those idiotic views you mention - now in today's day and age you realize that is politics but back then I didn't really look at anything through a political lens.  I just hated the general stupid.  That dumb bitch Jenna riding to DC is some POS private jet is so god damn Texas...sad shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Do you think other people laugh at Texas like we laugh at Florida?

Folks from Florida are really from Ohio now, and they laugh at your cold weather fail...

Here in New Orleans we think 32 degrees is the end of the world - and close everything. We read about your teens temps and think
giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah when I chose to leave TX/OK it wasn't really the politics but all those idiotic views you mention - now in today's day and age you realize that is politics but back then I didn't really look at anything through a political lens.  I just hated the general stupid.  That dumb bitch Jenna riding to DC is some POS private jet is so god damn Texas...sad shit. 

It reminded me of the automaker CEO's flying their private jets to plead for taxpayer bailouts.  

9 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Folks from Florida are really from Ohio now, and they laugh at your cold weather fail...

Here in New Orleans we think 32 degrees is the end of the world - and close everything. We read about your teens temps and think
giphy.gif

that's a pretty accurate gif - that's just about what my pool looks like

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Correcto!

Because that's how we roll. Fuck the people and get all the money you can.

I would say LOL but it isn’t funny at all. Shit like this is why I have started leaning more left the last 2 years and I hate saying that. Jk not really but kind of

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

I would say LOL but it isn’t funny at all. Shit like this is why I have started leaning more left the last 2 years and I hate saying that. Jk not really but kind of

I think what you find is that if you are more in tune with what you hear from someone that would be categorized as being a left-leaning person then you are probably finding out something positive about yourself. I do not like to use right vs. left that much when I talk to folks. I categorize it as decent human beings who genuinely care about others versus those that do not. It is not an easy thing to digest hearing it put like that for a lot of people, but sometimes you just have to level with folks and tell them how their actions towards others are isolating and alienating them from the rest of the populace. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think what you find is that if you are more in tune with what you hear from someone that would be categorized as being a left-leaning person then you are probably finding out something positive about yourself. I do not like to use right vs. left that much when I talk to folks. I categorize it as decent human beings who genuinely care about others versus those that do not. It is not an easy thing to digest hearing it put like that for a lot of people, but sometimes you just have to level with folks and tell them how their actions towards others are isolating and alienating them from the rest of the populace. 

This is pretty much how I see it now.  It wasn't always this way.  Especially since dotard, but even a while before, the Rs just completely stopped giving a fuck about ANYTHING other than themselves (or what they perceived as beneficial to them).  It's the party of pure selfishness vs the party of...not nearly as bad, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I agree with that. It’s funny that 0-20 I was a democrat and 20-38 republican and now I am 2 years being more left leaning. I won’t call it hate but the intolerance of Republican leadership and is the most troubling thing for me since they claim to be Christians but want to deny healthcare and other basic shit that a good human should want for fellow man. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Not a Texan and really don’t understand what’s going on right now so I will ask... I saw a link but didn’t read it yet but is Texas selling power and shit to other areas thus straining the shit they have for their own people?

When you look at the power outages maps, and you see the areas in far West Texas, northern panhandle, and parts of East Texas that are blue and/or have no outages?  Those people are not getting their power through an ERCOT-controlled entity, and they aren't having the problems that we are.

I'm not saying I want to tie into the national grid, but it might be nice that if we are going to sell the other states natural gas, maybe we should have the capacity to bring in electricity in return.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

When you look at the power outages maps, and you see the areas in far West Texas, northern panhandle, and parts of East Texas that are blue and/or have no outages?  Those people are not getting their power through an ERCOT-controlled entity, and they aren't having the problems that we are.

I'm not saying I want to tie into the national grid, but it might be nice that if we are going to sell the other states natural gas, maybe we should have the capacity to bring in electricity in return.

So is it just Natural Gas that’s being sold and is unregulated ?

15 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

It's called gallows humor. It is common to those of us that stare death right back every day. It's been class warfare for a long,long time.

I heard Camus say you're supposed to think of Sisyphus as being happy rolling that stone. Yeah, he's laughing to fight off the tears. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

You ain't kidding.  Most of us started off right, especially if Texan and got off that trip for various reasons--largely when it affected us.  Which is wild how covid can kill family members and they still deny a pandemic.    But the leaders don't really don't care about their constituents and when shit hits the fan, it shows.

Once you start turning though, what will happen is that you notice the lies more and more, and the sheer blatancy about some of the stupid shit just adds up until you hate hearing them talk about anything. You're right, none of it is funny.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

You ain't kidding.  Most of us started off right, especially if Texan and got off that trip for various reasons--largely when it affected us.  Which is wild how covid can kill family members and they still deny a pandemic.    But the leaders don't really don't care about their constituents and when shit hits the fan, it shows.
Once you start turning though, what will happen is that you notice the lies more and more, and the sheer blatancy about some of the stupid shit just adds up until you hate hearing them talk about anything. You're right, none of it is funny.  

None of it is a bit funny.

Know this: Texas’ leadership will kill Texans for money. We know this is true, because they already have.

They would rather dozens of Texans freeze to death in their own homes than see the take home millions of a generation co executive go down a single penny. Profits matter. They’re the only thing that matter. Human lives have zero value...unless they can generate profits, too. That’s the only real “Texas Value” that there is.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

None of it is a bit funny.

Know this: Texas’ leadership will kill Texans for money. We know this is true, because they already have.

They would rather dozens of Texans freeze to death in their own homes than see the take home millions of a generation co executive go down a single penny. Profits matter. They’re the only thing that matter. Human lives have zero value...unless they can generate profits, too. That’s the only real “Texas Value” that there is.

This seems hyperbolic on its face, but I can’t really come to any other conclusion. We are dealing with pure nihilism, narcissism, and just downright cruelty and evil, not to put to fine a point on it. 

Only one way to defeat that once it has taken hold, in my mind.

And it ain’t with a meeting and a handshake. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

The people that deny the virus yet have lost family members is what blows my fucking mind. I made several mad when they got Covid after the election and I would ask in a serious voice that I thought the election was over so that means the virus is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't know where else to put this.

That's nearly 5 hours old. Anybody heard anything?

Those kids have already been born so the state of Texas is done caring about their well-being but if any of them die it is definitely AOC's fault.  

Edited by Continental Op
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Decided a few months ago with the girlfriend. She is an Austinite. I came here to go to UT as a "Native" Texan (dad is DOD, I was born overseas), in 1992. 

We are out by December.

I have clients in DC, the South of France and Kenya who want me to move there. All look attractive right now. She sees no opportunity for her in this state and that makes me sad. 10 years ago her degree was killing it here as companies were investing in human capitol. Today, nah. Fuck it, bring more Dell, bring more Tesla, bring more amazon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Do you think other people laugh at Texas like we laugh at Florida?

https://www.npr.org/2015/10/21/450611765/why-norwegians-use-texas-as-slang-for-crazy

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34622478

Why do Norwegians use 'texas' to mean 'crazy'?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/26/how-texas-became-norwegian-for-crazy/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Shit.  May be rich now but we want kid stories?  My ass had pink shoes.  When I got made fun of and came home crying my dad took a permanent marker to em and sent my ass back the next day.  I learned to fight early and often.  I believe this pair came from Anthony’s.  When I was older and cooler my parents bought my BK knights on sale from Mervyns in Amarillo, when I went to visit the grandparents.  And I wouldn’t trade any of that shit for anything.  

/OldManRantOver

10 hours ago, Okie State said:
21 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Texas.  At least we’re not Oklahoma.  

All my friends and family in Oklahoma have working utilities. So there's that.

I live in the blue hell hole of Maryland, it’s sleeting furiously outside my bathroom while I take a shit and listen to my furnace go like an F-14 after burner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Indeed.  They had some sweet velcro shoes back in the day.  Did Anthony's have that weird contraption where they sent your receipts through pneumatic tubes?

And Sears was a big hit with my mom too - we did do Dillard's sometimes but that was for SPECIAL occasions. 

I don't remember pneumatic tubes. I think our location was on its last legs when my parents shopped there though. You're spot on with the Dillard's ref. My mom knew better quality, she just couldn't afford it. Her mainstay was coats (I didn't grow up in *Texas). Once we stopped growing, she was a big believer in a classic, well-made sturdy coat that did the job of keeping one warm and if she was going to spend a little extra, it was on that coat.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
* grew up just north of Texas, in the state that currently has working utilities but also a governor who took a vacation during a polar vortex..
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Goredho said:

You are right, I have been struggling to reconcile my cowardice for abandoning the great state of Texas.  I read your post, and it really hit me.  I've been on the verge of tears, screaming, begging for Texas' forgiveness.  I WAS WRONG, TEXAS!  PLEASE, TAKE ME BACK!  I WAS BLIND BUT NOW I SEE!!!  YOU ARE ALMOST PURPLE!

Then my joyous and no-longer despondent children returned from a school that can be bothered to educate them to a warm home powered by a functional power grid, and I cheered up.

You may go to hell, I've gone to Colorado :D

Lmao. I love this post so much. 

Oh no, I also left Texas and went to Colorado, to make more money, have a better quality of life, weed on demand, good public transportation, access to beautiful national parks and mountains and hikes and not deal with fucking Texas Republicans while having actual representation in DC that listens and cares.  Woe is my life! 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh no, I also left Texas and went to Colorado, to make more money, have a better quality of life, weed on demand, good public transportation, access to beautiful national parks and mountains and hikes and not deal with fucking Texas Republicans while having actual representation in DC that listens and cares.  Woe is my life! 

That pretty much describes all the other quality of life improvements beyond special-ed not being capped at 7% of students that we've experienced with our move from Texas to Colorado.

The regurgitated belief in Texas exceptionalism is a lot like the more broadly regurgitated belief in American exceptionalism.  There's a reason why "Don't mess with Texas!" was a brilliant anti-littering marketing campaign, and it's not because the majority of the people living there have no pride in where they come from.  And it is fine to have pride in Texas.  But a blind pride ignoring mounting evidence to the contrary is just another form of willful ignorance that we see being pushed and consumed in mass quantities among conservatives.

It's everyone's prerogative if they want to believe that Texas is somehow special and immune to decay if not properly cared for, but the idea of Texas as a post-industrial promised land does not align with my family's experience there.

Yup.  Last January I started a new job, and they wanted me to move back to Texas.  I said no and that I would only take the job if I could stay in the Northeast.  In the 13 months since then, I've lived through the regions' different responses to Covid, and now this.  I’m happy with the decision. I miss Texas, but not nearly enough to want to deal with that bullshit.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That pretty much describes all the other quality of life improvements beyond special-ed not being capped at 7% of students that we've experienced with our move from Texas to Colorado.

The regurgitated belief in Texas exceptionalism is a lot like the more broadly regurgitated belief in American exceptionalism.  There's a reason why "Don't mess with Texas!" was a brilliant anti-littering marketing campaign, and it's not because the majority of the people living there have no pride in where they come from.  And it is fine to have pride in Texas.  But a blind pride ignoring mounting evidence to the contrary is just another form of willful ignorance that we see being pushed and consumed in mass quantities among conservatives.

It's everyone's prerogative if they want to believe that Texas is somehow special and immune to decay if not properly cared for, but the idea of Texas as a post-industrial promised land does not align with my family's experience there.

I'll always love Texas, but Texas needs to work on itself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have clients in DC, the South of France and Kenya who want me to move there. 

I see you sitting with a bunch of retired Legionnaires drinking that stuff out of the bottle with the dead snake in it.

Edited by RDCanecutter
speling is harr.