UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Where the fuck did you get that idea.  It would be the worst thing possible for Tech basketball this side of the death penalty/ major sanctions.  I haven't read anyone saying it wouldn't fucking matter if Beard leaves.  It would suck tremendously.

Like that better?  

Wanna come on the podcast for an instant reaction?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I meant Tech announcing an extension.  Think Texas will wait on the 4/1 date for the buyout to drop 

I'm with you on this. IT mentioned this morning we're interviewing Ivey today or tomorrow though so I genuinely don't think a decision has been made yet. 

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

Wanna come on the podcast for an instant reaction?

I appreciate the offer, but the Yosemite Sam blasting off earlier in the thread will have to suffice. LOL.

If he stays, I'll be extremely pleased, and none of that has to do with UT.  Y'all will most likely get a great coach, regardless.

If he leaves, he'll be dead to me.  It's that simple.  My feelings on such matters are not limited to coaches.  It's probably a personality flaw of my own, but I recognize that it exists.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also, the fact that TTU has not announced an extension gives me hope that Beard in fact has been named the guy, and that we're  simply waiting until the first to announce it. 

So say CDC introduces Beard as the next Texas men's basketball head coach on April 1 ... will anyone believe him?

In all seriousness, part of me hopes Beard stays. Not because he wouldn't be a home run, but because it would be a rare thing.

There's not much loyalty in college sports these days--be it coaches, players, schools or fans, it seems everybody is looking for a better deal. And with blue blood programs usually poaching the best and brightest coaches, it's almost impossible for programs without pedigree to enjoy sustained success. There are Few "rags to riches" examples like Gonzaga.

So if Drew ends up being a lifer at Baylor, or Beard builds Tech into a juggernaut, the general sports fan in me finds it a beautiful thing, even if I selfishly wish Texas had something similar.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Gerry:
Spoiler

IT can confirm that Royal Ivey interviewed with Texas today. Interview wasn't long in terms of time (15-20 minutes), but more of getting to know Royal Ivey as a coach and get a feel for his vision for Texas basketball.

That sounds like an interview to check a box.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I could have sworn that bielein resigned from Michigan because of a scandal of some flavor, but I can’t find anything about it from my 30 seconds of google searching.  Did he really just quit for health reasons?

He jumped to the NBA. That's where the "scandal" was.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It would be eminently stupid if CDC and company gave Ivey just a courtesy call without giving him a real shot to win the job. I can think of no better way to alienate our lettermen.

Wasn’t all that long ago that we gave a clown a courtesy interview for AD and he bullshitted his way into the job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Da fuck? 15-20 minutes for a head coaching job at Texas? I'm thinking this was more like a phone screen you go through with a recruiter before you interview with the manager. 

They don't have 200 people on the interview list.  

A 15-20 minutes interview sounds like someone said the wrong thing and there was no point continuing.  

3 hours ago, Teryor said:

I'm with you on this. IT mentioned this morning we're interviewing Ivey today or tomorrow though so I genuinely don't think a decision has been made yet. 

Even if Beard is the guy, it still makes sense to go through the interview process because you just don't know who else maybe a better fit for the job. I am liking the fact that we are running a proper search.

12 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Da fuck? 15-20 minutes for a head coaching job at Texas? I'm thinking this was more like a phone screen you go through with a recruiter before you interview with the manager. 

yeah, that's either some ultimate pass-fail questions or just going through the motions.

15-20 minutes...to get to know someone/ coaching philosophy who is an alum?  

1 minute ago, slorch said:

yeah, that's either some ultimate pass-fail questions or just going through the motions.

15-20 minutes...to get to know someone/ coaching philosophy who is an alum?  

Once you cut out all the bullshit and fluff I could cover world history in less than an hour 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mr. sunshine said:

Once you cut out all the bullshit and fluff I could cover world history in less than an hour 

Ivey's times-out are gonna be like 5 seconds long at that rate...

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agreed. Hope that is either misinformation or it was a preliminary "meet and greet" and the real interview is to follow.

It could very well be one of those “tell me your vision of the program  in 10 minutes or less” deals with them telling him they have our #1 choice already lined up, but this is what we are looking for in case this goes tits up or in case this guys blows it in the near future. That way everyone Is on the same page and it gives Ivey a legitimate “in” the next go around.

Essentially a courtesy call and a way to feel out him for the future in case their option #1 implodes and they have to really do a search.