Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Depends, does every linebacker in the sec run 4.4? What is considered fast for a inside linebacker? 4.6-4.7?

Haven't found a time on McKinzie, but on tape he looks more like a 4.9 guy (to my woefully untrained eye). Honestly, I'd never match his tape with the Gabe Brooks eval. But maybe the kid's been dinged up or something. Regardless, if he comes here, I hope he's Tommy Nobis 2.0. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Haven't found a time on McKinzie, but on tape he looks more like a 4.9 guy (to my woefully untrained eye). Honestly, I'd never match his tape with the Gabe Brooks eval. But maybe the kid's been dinged up or something. Regardless, if he comes here, I hope he's Tommy Nobis 2.0. 

Derrick Johnson was Nobis 2.0.

McKinzie can be Derrick 2.0 or Nobis 3.0

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Burfict ran a 5.09 40 - so it is possible to be a good LB and be slow as shit. Not ideal, but possible. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

McKinzie looks huge for a high school LB, but I don’t see a lot of short area quickness or a super high motor to offset whatever he lacks in speed.  He was a guy who was first highly ranked after his freshman year, so there may be some rankings inertia here.

Burfict mailed it in for a couple of years at ASU, but when he was trying during the first part of his college career and then in the NFL he played like a madman - literally, in his case. It was like a psychopath on PCP found his way on the field.  That intensity and reckless abandon from a huge violent guy can make someone play faster than their 40 time.  Not really seeing that here, but considering our other options at LB are apparently guys whose own high school coaches tell them they aren’t good enough to play at Texas, I’m still all for taking McKinzie.

Some people on IT, not mods, are saying he plays and looks faster in person. 

Roach

Spoiler

— The college football world turned upside down today when Lincoln Riley was announced as the next head coach at USC. As Oklahoma's 2022 and 2023 classes react, the Longhorns are looking to take advantage of a few different situations. As we reported earlier tonight, Texas made contact with four-star Lubbock-Cooper linebacker Kobie McKinzie. McKinzie has been committed to Oklahoma since his sophomore year, but Texas initiated contact shortly after Riley's departure was announced. McKinzie has a definite interest in Texas, and the staff is going through the evaluation process at the moment. If Texas engages with an offer, I expect them to be in the top position. Sources near McKinzie tell Horns247 that Texas is the school he wants most right now. Texas Tech is also coming after him with new head coach Joey McGuire expected to see him this week. If Texas decides to pursue McKinzie fully, I'd expect that to start soon and for things to move quickly. Stick with us here as we monitor McKinzie over the next week.

— A name I've heard a little about tonight is Loganville (GA.) Grayson defensive back Mumu Bin-Wahad. A West Virginia commit, Bin-Wahad has been mentioned by a few people though I haven't been able to reach him or confirm with Texas sources that he's a target at the moment. We'll continue to dig for information here, but we've heard the name enough to pay attention to it.

— Texas commits Derrick Brown and Justice Finkley have been working on guys all day. There's been a marathon Instagram Live session featuring guests such as Trevell Johnson, Malik Agbo, Ashton Porter, Bijan Robinson, Kobie McKinzie and many others. Commits have been working Agbo hard, and Texas recently made his Top 4. Intel last week suggested Auburn might be the leader, but Texas is right there in the thick of the race. Agbo loves to praise every school recruiting him, so it's tough to read from the perspective of nearly every school getting positive vibes from him. Agbo will make his decision during the early signing period.

— Texas A&M commit Ish Harris was in Austin on Friday. We heard some buzz about the possibility of flipping him, but multiple sources I spoke with don't feel there's anything to it. Harris was in Austin to celebrate his birthday and spent some time with a few Texas commits after the game. Still, he's been a central member of the Texas A&M class and a source very close to the situation doesn't believe he ends up anywhere other than College Station as of tonight.

— I spoke with Matthew Golden earlier today. Golden enjoyed his visit to Texas and got a lot of face time with the staff. He spent a lot of time with Brandon Harris who made a good impression on him. Golden is working out his official visits with a decision expected in the early signing period. Though he hasn't named leaders, I get the sense this may come down to a Texas/Baylor matchup. The Bears have also been able to make a good impression quickly on Golden, and they have already set an official visit with him for December 10. Texas will likely get a visit as well. Texas commits are working on Golden hard including high school teammate Jaydon Blue.

— I'll have some more on this during the week, but USC could become a real threat for Devin Brown once again, especially if they keep Graham Harrell on staff. Brown committed to Harrell and is already familiar with USC. I also spoke with a source near Devon Campbell. The five-star big man loves LA and his visits to USC intrigued him, but their struggles kept the Trojans at the back of the race. Now with Riley and presumably Bill Bedenbaugh headed to the west coast, there is some concern that USC jumps back to the top. Campbell was told by Riley earlier in the year that he wasn't going anywhere, and the source I spoke with theorized that it could cause some distrust with the staff. Bedenbaugh has a good enough relationship to smooth that over, but it is something to watch. The question is, can Riley and his staff mobilize quickly enough to do what they need to do before the early signing period? Campbell has been vague with his timeline, and he has one official visit to use. With a new head coach in place, he can return to USC even though he's already been there. I'm watching to see how Campbell handles the timeline. If it ends at the early signing period, it favors Texas. If his timeline stretches, it allows room for others to make up ground.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I know there was some rumors about J'Mond maybe not being solid, but he seems like hes locked in. They're all talking about making sure their essays are in on time and everything for ApplyTexas. Trevell was showing off he did his today while on the Live.

If a prospect with an offer has to write anything other than "I play football" over and over again until they hit the word count requirement then we're doing it wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

We were happy to see Carrington leave. Dude can recruit but he fed the fire on the eyes deal. Screw that guy. 

Ah, did not realize this. Thanks for the info. As for those saying he couldn’t recruit, that is flat wrong. Multiple top recruits and their families specifically called out him as the reason for picking Texas. But if he burned bridges, then no way to bring him back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ah, did not realize this. Thanks for the info. As for those saying he couldn’t recruit, that is flat wrong. Multiple top recruits and their families specifically called out him as the reason for picking Texas. But if he burned bridges, then no way to bring him back. 

Because you’re the shiniest turd doesn’t mean you’re not a turd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

McKinzie looks huge for a high school LB, but I don’t see a lot of short area quickness or a super high motor to offset whatever he lacks in speed.  He was a guy who was first highly ranked after his freshman year, so there may be some rankings inertia here.

Burfict mailed it in for a couple of years at ASU, but when he was trying during the first part of his college career and then in the NFL he played like a madman - literally, in his case. It was like a psychopath on PCP found his way on the field.  That intensity and reckless abandon from a huge violent guy can make someone play faster than their 40 time.  Not really seeing that here, but considering our other options at LB are apparently guys whose own high school coaches tell them they aren’t good enough to play at Texas, I’m still all for taking McKinzie.

I saw him play last Friday vs Grapevine.  He’s every bit of 6’3 245. Massive human. He made plays all over the field. Made a tackle at the line and next play made a tackle on a screen play at the sideline.  I don’t know if his numbers for the night were huge, but he was all over the place, couple of times dropping back as a 3rd safety in a few of their sets.  He’d be a welcomed addition, imo.

• Hook 'Em 8

9 hours ago, Thiefery said:

There were some quotes from Tapp that said he grew up wanting to be a longhorn and he's set to enroll or something like that.  Of all the OOS commits we have now, I'm hoping to hear more of the same from Bryant.. I know Ole Miss is continuing to push for him to flip.

Suchomel reported he’s enrolling early and locked in. Lot of EEs in this class, which is great.

• Hook 'Em 3

(Hudson Standish) Late night recruiting: Kobie McKinzie, Malik Agbo, Notes from Duncanville

When Gary Patterson and TCU mutually parted ways in early November, Texas was decisive in extending an offer and turning up the heat on former TCU commit Matthew Golden. Now after Lincoln Riley’s monumental move to USC, the Horns could be following a similar gameplan with 2022 Lubbock Cooper LB and recent OU de-commit Kobie McKinzie. Inside Texas has heard from sources that the Longhorns have initiated contact with McKinzie, are in the evaluation phase, and that if an offer did come for the On3 consensus four-star that Texas would likely vault into the top spot.

After decommitting from Oklahoma earlier in the day, McKinzie joined an Instagram live hosted by Texas commits Derrick Brown, Justice Finkley, and Trevell Johnson to flash the Hook ‘Em and talk through the day’s events.

Another Texas target on said Instagram live was 2022 Federal Way (WA.) Todd Beamer OL Malik Agbo. Earlier in the day the 6-foot-6, 330-pounder announced he will choose between Auburn, Miami, Texas and Oklahoma on December 15th. The No. 346 player in the 2022 On3 Consensus had this to say about Texas “I like Texas because of the determination the coaches have for the players, and how the players have each other’s back no matter the outcome of how the season went,” he said. “Also, coach (Steve) Sarkisian and coach (Kyle) Flood are both down-to-earth people and I look into that.”

Agbo was getting a hard sell from Texas commits Derrick Brown, Justice Finkley, J’Mond Tapp, Trevell Johnson, and Champ Lewis but the moment that caused the biggest smile from the pacific northwest giant (and uproar on social media) was when Texas RB Bijan Robinson joined in on the fun.

Robinson told Agbo that Texas needs him in the boat, reiterated many of Brown and Finkley’s recruiting talking points, then offered a few on-brand pleasantries and a big smile before hopping off. One last note is that 2023 Cypress Ranch DL and Texas priority Ashton Porter briefly hopped on to tell Derrick Brown and Justice Finkley that he believed the 2022 class would change the culture at Texas.

Notes from Duncanville

Inside Texas caught up with a number of sources in and around the state of Texas’s top prospect factory after Duncanville’s 42-7 3rd round playoff win over Spring on Saturday. Nearly every source that IT spoke to remained consistent that if trend lines hold the 2022 duo of Omari Abor and Cameron Williams will not end up in Austin. IT has said as much on Abor for the past month and hears that Ohio State likely leads.

With Williams, a source did mention that the only way they see the 6-foot-5, 390-pounder signing with Texas would be if Oregon HC Mario Cristobal left Eugene. 2024 LB Colin Simmons stamped his claim as next man up at Duncanville after a dominant early-season performance against DeSoto and the No. 40 prospect in the 2024 On3 consensus continued his high-level play against Spring batting several passes at the line of scrimmage leading to an INT and several near turnovers.

Simmons is another sophomore that the Longhorns have done a tremendous job building a relationship after striking with an early offer in late September. The 6-foot-2, 210 pound athlete is focused on chasing a state title with the Panthers for now but is eager to get to Austin over the offseason. IT will have more on 2023 Duncanville CB Deldrick Madison later in the week.

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Back when he committed, the staff showed little to no interest, but back then the staff also thought they were landing every 5-star OL on the board.

He is 6-2, 315 and projects as an IOL. I could see him as a center take to pair with our two OGs. His Hudl shows some pretty good feet for a guy that size. 

Edited by Vertigo

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He is 6-2, 315 and projects as an IOL. I could see him as a center take to pair with our two OGs. His Hudl shows some pretty good feet for a guy that size. 

I think the problem is both Robertson and Hutson project to center. I don't think we need to add a center specific take in this class.

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think the problem is both Robertson and Hutson project to center. I don't think we need to add a center specific take in this class.

A center specific take? Find out which of the 3 is the best fit at C and then move the other 2 to G, problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

Finkley is reported as an EE as well. The two of them on campus early would be huge for the DE/OLB position

Is there a list of targets/commits that are enrolling early? I thought 247 used to indicate it on the profiles with an icon but I didn't see it.

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Is there a list of targets/commits that are enrolling early? I thought 247 used to indicate it on the profiles with an icon but I didn't see it.

So far plus relevant targets:

Maalik Murphy
Jaydon Blue
Champ Lewis
Brenen Thompson
Justice Finkley
Bryan Allen Jr
Jaray Bledsoe
Anthony Jones
Cole Hutson
Aaron Bryant

Evan Stewart
Larry Turner-Gooden
Kevin Coleman
Earnest Greene
Matthew Golden
Devin Brown

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Of note - Terry Joseph did an in-home visit with Terrance Brooks on Sunday. Also, the staff wanted Nick Evers to visit for the K-State game but he wouldn't visit without being offered first.

https://www.on3.com/news/recruiting-intel-from-texas-and-louisiana-as-in-home-visits-begin/

Is the expectation that Evers is going to stick with Florida?  Does he have other committable offers of commensurate value?

*next time I'll read the fucking linked article first

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Gerry:

Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve athlete Kendrick Law will make two final official visits over the next two weekends.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound versatile playmaker at receiver and safety took unofficial visits to Texas on Friday and LSU on Saturday, and he will see both again. 

The No. 85 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus will make an official visit to Texas this weekend, and will officially visit LSU December 10th weekend. 

The Longhorns and Tigers two of the four schools in serious contention. 

Law, the No. 48 ranked prospect in the On300, has Alabama and Florida State rounding out his top four. He made an official visit to Florida State the first weekend in September and tripped to Alabama November 6 for the LSU game. 

He began the in-home visit process Sunday with Florida State assistants Sunday evening. Seminoles head coach Mike Norvell is expected to make an in-home next week. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and safeties coach Blake Gideon will be in-home Tuesday night ahead of the weekend official visit. Alabama assistant coach Eddie Roach plans to visit in-home Wednesday. LSU assistant Mickey Joseph is also expected to make an in-home visit later this week. 

The No. 8 ranked prospect in the Pelican State posted personal bests of 10.48 (wind-aided) in the 100 meters, 22.05 in the 200 meters and a 22’8” long jump as a junior. 

All four programs are recruiting Kendrick Law as an athlete that could play safety or receiver. LSU has talked more about playing wide receiver to begin his career. Texas and Alabama have leaned more to safety long-term in the recruiting pitch. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting