Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

24 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Counter point: John Burt. Oh nvm you said football player

I said football player very deliberately in that post. 

21 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

B/c offer list was Kansas, smu and miss valley st 

Yeah, bud, I think you're missing my point. Which was that there's no way this kid is a legit 4.4 if you're not excited about him. 

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think it is.  He certainly isn't running away from DB's in his hudl like you would expect a 4.4 guy to do.  But by all accounts he is tough as hell and single-handedly took a historically shitty team to the playoffs and won a game.

He's probably the 30th guy in this 33 player class - but why not take a chance on a kid that is tough, has some skills, and is clearly a leader (oh and also who seems to be very popular with a loaded 7on7 team)?

Dude could be a rochon.  Heart of a lion. Will of a beast. Good athlete willing to just put me in cosch and I’ll play where you tell me to 

Kam Dewberry goes in-depth on Texas, Texas A&M with decision looming

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Nick Harris

In looking at the prospects left on the board in the state of Texas, one very large presence out of the northern Houston area jumps out: Humble Atascocita four-star offensive tackle Kam Dewberry.

Dewberry has had a long and methodical recruiting process that has seen him take all five of his official visits to LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M, and now it is time for him to go into decision mode.

"The recruitment process has been amazing," Dewberry said. "I'm glad that I got the opportunity to take those five official visits. I'm different from other recruits in that I didn't want to take all five during the summer, so I spaced them out a little bit. Just being able to do that, you know the 2021 class didn't get that, so I'm glad with COVID and everything that we were able to get those official visits in. I'm just blessed."

Dewberry's fifth and final official visit was to Texas for the Kansas game, and the pitch of coming in and playing early was convincing for Dewberry, who has a desire to come in and have the opportunity to touch the field as a freshman.

"I knew the main approach was come be a starter," he said. "I know that I'm needed as an offensive lineman, and that was their main goal and main focus. Just watching the Kansas game, it showed me that I'm very needed. Me, DJ [Devon Campbell], Kelvin Banks, Neto [Umeozulu], those guys, we're needed. We can come in and be day one starters."

In evaluating the visit experience, Dewberry said that the Texas staff, headed up by his main recruiter Kyle Flood, could not have done a better job in hosting him and his family.

"The visit was 10-out-of-10, there was nothing better that they could have did during that visit," he said. "The only thing that would have made it a little bit better is if they got the win, but the visit was still amazing at the end of the day. They did everything they had to do to show they really want me there and that I'm important."

One thing that sticks out about Texas is the history of development from offensive line coach Kyle Flood. From his days at Alabama and even at Rutgers, Dewberry sees his line of development and how he could possibly be a fit into that mold.

"Coach Flood, I see the development he has had with top players," Dewberry said. "With him recruiting Evan Neal to Bama, Jedrick Wills to Bama, Alex Leatherwood, all those guys are guys he developed that he had for two years. He made those guys into first rounders. Even before that, he had first rounders at Rutgers. I know Flood is a good developer, he knows what he's talking about. He's the truth, he knows what he's doing."

Texas is in clear rebuild mode this offseason, and the class of 2022 is an integral part of that process. It is something Dewberry is very aware of, and the prospect of the challenge doesn't scare him away because he knows it will create a bigger opportunity for early playing time.

"When I think about that, if I go be a part of a rebuild I know I'll get many years of college experience meaning I won't have to wait behind nobody," he said. "It increases draft stock if I can come in as a freshman and play three years, that's three years worth of film. Instead of joining the most-winning team, how about we turn something around? At Texas, I see what the vision is."

The other school in clear contention is Texas A&M, as the Aggies have built a long-standing relationship with him behind efforts from Jimbo Fisher and offensive line coach Josh Henson.

"The relationship with them with them is really good, they've been recruiting me since I was a freshman," he said. "It's been over two years that they have been recruiting me so I'm familiar with them, their recruiting pitch, and what they see me as. Our relationship has been pretty strong."

Dewberry also has high praise for Josh Henson who has shown the ability to produce high quality freshman offensive linemen this season behind the performances of Bryce Foster and Reuben Fatheree.

"Coach Henson, I feel like he is a good developer too," he said. "You got two freshman midseason All-Americans on the offensive line. That just shows that he can develop young guys and can get them in there and play. I'm a guy that wants to come in and be able to play early, just to have the opportunity to earn a spot. Just to be able to be put in that position like if I make it, I make it, but if I don't it's on me. I want it to be in my control."

With a little more than two weeks before he plans to put pen to paper, Dewberry is in full decision mode. He plans to have his mind made before the early signing period so that he can enjoy the day.

"I'm probably gonna make my decision here soon. I'm trying to be able to commit before that," he said.

At 6-foot-4, 313 pounds, Dewberry is the No. 76 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 3 ranked interior offensive lineman and the No. 13 recruit from the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Might have missed this point of the convo, but could we do a raffle based system to make this slush fund about signed memorabilia? $25-$50 tickets to win a signed football/helmet by worthy or whomever the recipient is?

This could get more buy-in from T-shirt fans and something Surly could cross promote on social media.

FWIW we want to have something like this built in to our platform eventually

40 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Nick Harris

Reveal hidden contents

Nick Harris

In looking at the prospects left on the board in the state of Texas, one very large presence out of the northern Houston area jumps out: Humble Atascocita four-star offensive tackle Kam Dewberry.

Dewberry has had a long and methodical recruiting process that has seen him take all five of his official visits to LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M, and now it is time for him to go into decision mode.

"The recruitment process has been amazing," Dewberry said. "I'm glad that I got the opportunity to take those five official visits. I'm different from other recruits in that I didn't want to take all five during the summer, so I spaced them out a little bit. Just being able to do that, you know the 2021 class didn't get that, so I'm glad with COVID and everything that we were able to get those official visits in. I'm just blessed."

Dewberry's fifth and final official visit was to Texas for the Kansas game, and the pitch of coming in and playing early was convincing for Dewberry, who has a desire to come in and have the opportunity to touch the field as a freshman.

"I knew the main approach was come be a starter," he said. "I know that I'm needed as an offensive lineman, and that was their main goal and main focus. Just watching the Kansas game, it showed me that I'm very needed. Me, DJ [Devon Campbell], Kelvin Banks, Neto [Umeozulu], those guys, we're needed. We can come in and be day one starters."

In evaluating the visit experience, Dewberry said that the Texas staff, headed up by his main recruiter Kyle Flood, could not have done a better job in hosting him and his family.

"The visit was 10-out-of-10, there was nothing better that they could have did during that visit," he said. "The only thing that would have made it a little bit better is if they got the win, but the visit was still amazing at the end of the day. They did everything they had to do to show they really want me there and that I'm important."

One thing that sticks out about Texas is the history of development from offensive line coach Kyle Flood. From his days at Alabama and even at Rutgers, Dewberry sees his line of development and how he could possibly be a fit into that mold.

"Coach Flood, I see the development he has had with top players," Dewberry said. "With him recruiting Evan Neal to Bama, Jedrick Wills to Bama, Alex Leatherwood, all those guys are guys he developed that he had for two years. He made those guys into first rounders. Even before that, he had first rounders at Rutgers. I know Flood is a good developer, he knows what he's talking about. He's the truth, he knows what he's doing."

Texas is in clear rebuild mode this offseason, and the class of 2022 is an integral part of that process. It is something Dewberry is very aware of, and the prospect of the challenge doesn't scare him away because he knows it will create a bigger opportunity for early playing time.

"When I think about that, if I go be a part of a rebuild I know I'll get many years of college experience meaning I won't have to wait behind nobody," he said. "It increases draft stock if I can come in as a freshman and play three years, that's three years worth of film. Instead of joining the most-winning team, how about we turn something around? At Texas, I see what the vision is."

The other school in clear contention is Texas A&M, as the Aggies have built a long-standing relationship with him behind efforts from Jimbo Fisher and offensive line coach Josh Henson.

"The relationship with them with them is really good, they've been recruiting me since I was a freshman," he said. "It's been over two years that they have been recruiting me so I'm familiar with them, their recruiting pitch, and what they see me as. Our relationship has been pretty strong."

Dewberry also has high praise for Josh Henson who has shown the ability to produce high quality freshman offensive linemen this season behind the performances of Bryce Foster and Reuben Fatheree.

"Coach Henson, I feel like he is a good developer too," he said. "You got two freshman midseason All-Americans on the offensive line. That just shows that he can develop young guys and can get them in there and play. I'm a guy that wants to come in and be able to play early, just to have the opportunity to earn a spot. Just to be able to be put in that position like if I make it, I make it, but if I don't it's on me. I want it to be in my control."

With a little more than two weeks before he plans to put pen to paper, Dewberry is in full decision mode. He plans to have his mind made before the early signing period so that he can enjoy the day.

"I'm probably gonna make my decision here soon. I'm trying to be able to commit before that," he said.

At 6-foot-4, 313 pounds, Dewberry is the No. 76 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 3 ranked interior offensive lineman and the No. 13 recruit from the state of Texas.

Ok put him in the calculator. Almost all of his quotes have been said by Sark in press conferences the last couple of weeks. That tells me that he's buying what Texas is selling. Fantastic

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

51 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Nick Harris

Reveal hidden contents

Nick Harris

Someone get the calculator back from the NIL accountant and put Kam in it. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per IT - Andre Coleman was out to see former TCU commit OT Seth Martin.

https://247sports.com/player/seth-martin-46115569/

Looks like contingencies are in full effect.

247 seems to think OG more than OT. And given that Flood is a size queen, that'd check out for a 6'3" kid.

1 minute ago, Don Hornleone said:

Savion Red stature reminds me a lot of Shad Banks from North Shore. I don’t see the quickness at slot though. 

It feels like it might be more of a linebacker take to me. The few defensive plays that I saw in his hudl he closes pretty damn fast on the ball. He looks like he could easily be around 215-220 on film this season. If he has that size with a 4.5, then sure, but we don't need 2 or 3 year projects right now. 

3 hours ago, burdine said:

Thanks for the sharing and transparency.

As a regular guy with a life, I enjoy Surly but it was not immediately apparent to me that it was the best place to financially contribute to my Horns.

There might be quite a few like me.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

It seems like NIL really will be the future of the program.

maverick GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

The Red offer is pretty interesting. He doesn’t look fast so I doubt slot is really a reasonable position for him, and he has probably one of the worst offer lists of a player we’ve offered in awhile….which means he will probably end up being an incredible slot receiver for us. 

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is this too little too late?

I’d imagine so. Kid is a workhorse though

16 minutes ago, Sarks Personal Bartender said:

Re: Red - Devin Duvernay was around that size, no? Granted, it took him 3 years and 2 head coaches to become a draft prospect, but I like that size in wide receivers who can run over people. But in high school? 😬

Duvernay was definitely built more like a RB than a WR. But he also had world class speed.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

The Red offer is pretty interesting. He doesn’t look fast so I doubt slot is really a reasonable position for him, and he has probably one of the worst offer lists of a player we’ve offered in awhile….which means he will probably end up being an incredible slot receiver for us. 

Need to know how tall he actually is. The 5’10 on 247 is old. He says he’s 6’2. 

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Part 1)

Excerpts from a Roach recruiting chat.  

Some interesting stuff, FWIW.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.104c801bdd28642c2aa8ae2030fc7d75.png

image.thumb.png.0b5a492a8ad3c07797a8b3e51ddca400.png

image.thumb.png.8630205327496398ae9c2b0f3b349cec.png

image.thumb.png.bc897a205f449e70656c67eb0b42aabf.png

image.thumb.png.79dfefc8765dc46796d44464ebee9f70.png

image.thumb.png.f9f0bb6a25cbf5030b91a4de70273a2c.png

image.thumb.png.23ae393157aeec19d8fffac5491f5c66.png

image.thumb.png.4c05bc858fff3df7166a7990bb236bbb.png

image.thumb.png.bff208cd43d062b6566ffb83ffad3231.png

image.thumb.png.a283374f0e9c5cecf83a3fe901374642.png

image.thumb.png.69882e0d53503ca46af5a4ece869bb40.png

image.thumb.png.d0d0209f0977654667eceb4eafb9a5d6.png

image.thumb.png.3f4b9c9c7d23927562660c524378f81a.png

image.thumb.png.8864008fb8fb7ad98506ef987004c79f.png

image.thumb.png.72a9337dc75c99d6c191769b05b2f570.png

image.thumb.png.d830a153c4e97ac87b32bc9e98f9ab05.png

image.thumb.png.8dd185cce343a893379bd05d315dbff1.png

image.thumb.png.108ec908fb2b8e9051bee0be13b703a4.png

image.thumb.png.fac6855fe2d6b251ae732bb77f052a6a.png

image.thumb.png.31d12668c5a826ad014c39248d6a74c7.png

image.thumb.png.274a84e43ec34140bdc0095d25292ad2.png

The only way that I can see a top 5 is batting 1.000 for Perkins, Banks, Campbell and Harris. Thats probably a pipe dream at this point. Harris not committing here yet is worrisome. 

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Did Naviar end up at USC? Wonder if they did make a move at both secondary spots, if his name would be mentioned. Obviously you have to get Lake or the Oregon guy as the other one for sure.

He did.  One of the agents at my brokerage was helping him find a place to rent. 

There’s a group out there who claimed to have Stewart taken care of a couple of months ago. Every time I asked about this group I was told Stewart was just playing the game and they would likely need more $$$ to land him if another school upped the bid for him. That was before A&M really got involved. Then it turned into we wouldn’t lose him to A&M over money.

The guy telling me all this was likely involved, this isn’t something he would lie about. Now he’s saying the rumors of the $$$ a&m put together are undershooting the amount. I asked him if the door was closed for sure, and he said we will remain in contact until he signs but doesn’t think the $$$ is there to match the offer. I asked him why they don’t just say fuck it and put that money towards the OL NIL stuff and do some good, but he thinks the money will be used to bag elsewhere. 

The reality is cash is king for these top prospects. I just don’t see it going away. I think that’s hopeful thinking and ignores the emotional impact these cash offers make on the receiving parties. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Gerry Hamilton

The Seth Martin (Everman, Texas) interest by Texas got me thinking about OL recruiting.

I hit up all the top targets circle this afternoon.

Here's what I got:

Texas was in with Neto Umeozulu's entire family Monday night. A source at Allen believes the visit went very well. IT on watch this weekend for a potential decision.

Texas OL coach Kyle Flood is at Duncanville practice now per a source at Duncanville (basketball source that saw Flood on the practice field).

Texas was at Arlington Bowie for an in-school/in-home with On3 Consensus 5-star Devon Campbell earlier today. Texas (Flood and Banks) are scheduled to be at Bowie's basketball game tonight.

Texas OL coach Kyle Flood will go see Earnest Green (St. John Bosco) and Malik Agbo (Todd Beamer High) on Wednesday.

Then Texas is scheduled to be in-home with both Kelvin Banks and Kam Dewberry Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting