Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why can't both things be true though? Why can't Texas be a good academic school as well as a great football school? Why do they have to be one or the other?

tOSU seems to have figured it out. I'm personally of the opinion that Texas should be at least a tier above them academically, but in all honestly we're probably equal at best right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't follow what you're asking about here? The alumni base getting interested in cheating? No, I don't think that will ever change. I've talked to enough folks about it over the past few years and I feel like it's a multigenerational philosophical agreement. I include myself in that bunch, really. I don't want UT's brand attached to scandal and iniquity, and I want the academic side to always carry weight in conversations.

The first thing people will ever think of for Alabama is football. Same for OU, Clemson, LSU, etc. Florida's doing its best to get there. That's simply not what informed business professionals gravitate to first mentally when it comes to Texas, USC, Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame, UW, etc. I'd be pretty conflicted if I were a UNC or Duke alum, given their prestige in the academic realm and the counter of the weight of the basketball brand for each. 

Anyway, NIL remedies the qualms about paying players. Now you can play players for their brand and effort around that, above board, and with a straight face. Let the fuckfaces continue to toil in the dark with the corner cases while the majority of the game begins to get played in the light.

Very well said.

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why can't both things be true though? Why can't Texas be a good academic school as well as a great football school? Why do they have to be one or the other?

They can be, and have been in the past, and probably will be in the future. The difference, is that boosters aren't going to do one thing that risks hurting the reputation of the other. It's a mindset. Or a choice, if you prefer. 

Let me try it another way, none of those other schools have anything to lose, so they don't give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They can be, and have been in the past, and probably will be in the future. The difference, is that boosters aren't going to do one thing that risks hurting the reputation of the other. It's a mindset. Or a choice, if you prefer. 

Let me try it another way, none of those other schools have anything to lose, so they don't give a fuck. 

While I agree but has the North Carolina scandal affected their degree or academic side? Did the Duke lacrosse scandal affect their academic prestige? Did the Reggie Bush scandal affect the USC academic reputation? Did tattoo gate or Urban Meyer affect Ohio State's academic reputation? Is what UGA doing in buying players ruining their academic side? What about Aaron Hernandez/Urban Meyer at Florida?

All mentioned are ranked ahead or near us with on US News university academic rankings. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Who pissed in your cheerios? The thread was a discussion about why Perkins might be considering Florida so I chimed in. From now on I will advise you on what's allowed on this board. 

Napier made like 2 good hires and invented 30+ positions for his friends to get jobs. I think he’s going to fail there.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Final Rivals 250 is out.  Banks dropped 54 spots.  Umeozulu moved up a lot and Burke is now #180 nationally.  Surprisingly, several aggy commits had huge drops (Anderson, Taylor, Sylla).

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2022

Quency Wiggins shot up to #16 and a 5 star

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

While I agree but has the North Carolina scandal affected their degree or academic side? Did the Duke lacrosse scandal affect their academic prestige? Did the Reggie Bush scandal affect the USC academic reputation? Did tattoo gate or Urban Meyer affect Ohio State's academic reputation? Is what UGA doing in buying players ruining their academic side? What about Aaron Hernandez/Urban Meyer at Florida?

All mentioned are ranked ahead or near us with on US News university academic rankings. 

Yeah. But you're not arguing with me. You're arguing with a bunch of white gloved wearing out of touch Boomers in their 70s who don't even know message boards exist or that twitter is a thing. Good luck getting them to change their mind. You can't logic out someone's visceral instincts they've been carrying around for decades. Like CTJ said, you're looking at/needing an entire philosophical shift that takes place after a generational shift. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, tokamak said:

tOSU seems to have figured it out. I'm personally of the opinion that Texas should be at least a tier above them academically, but in all honestly we're probably equal at best right now.

I've been as big of an "Ohio State is a better school than you think" honk as this board has, but perceptually Texas is clearly a tier above.

Now with UGA and USC, then you're cooking with gas.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Napier made like 2 good hires and invented 30+ positions for his friends to get jobs. I think he’s going to fail there.

Look, I hate the Gators with all of my tiny shriveled heart but Napier is going to fucking kill it there as much as that pains me to say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. But you're not arguing with me. You're arguing with a bunch of white gloved wearing out of touch Boomers in their 70s who don't even know message boards exist or that twitter is a thing. Good luck getting them to change their mind. You can't logic out someone's visceral instincts they've been carrying around for decades. Like CTJ said, you're looking at/needing an entire philosophical shift that takes place after a generational shift. 

You had me a boomers, they ruin everything :(

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It doesn't matter for basketball (it's 10 total students, no one cares) or lacrosse (the preppiest sport ever, having a good team makes you look even more elitist).

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because to be a great football school in this era you have to be "dirty", maybe that changes with NIL but the most likely change is that sport is further divorced from the school culture as it becomes more professionalized.

But it's also true, like they said, that NIL offers a way into that mindset by pointing out that paying players is now legal if you do it in the right way. Those snobby boosters also have huge egos, that's part of the reason they refuse to get dirty. But now some of them might be persuadable if they realize that for all their money and braggadocio that other schools are now outspending them and their alma mater on college football legally.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Once could argue that NCAA basketball has almost nothing to do with the school, does anyone even remember that Kyrie Irving went to Duke?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Given your track record around here, Florida wins a title in the next three years.

Shit I’d love that, they’ve always been one of my favorite teams. Definitely the only SEC team I can stand. But once I saw the amount of nepotism Napier put his staff together with I knew it wouldn’t work out. Strong/Herman syndrome. 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Final Rivals 250 is out.  Banks dropped 54 spots.  Umeozulu moved up a lot and Burke is now #180 nationally.  Surprisingly, several aggy commits had huge drops (Anderson, Taylor, Sylla).

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2022

Sounds like Banks just dropped bc of the UA game/practices? Kinda seems silly if so

6 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Wasn't it Banks that played out of position for the UA game because they were shorthanded at that position?
And it was a position he'd never played before, if I remember correct.

You are correct. I wonder if him not being a 5-star will affect his ability to contribute as a freshman…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think Gary Patterson is some kind of savant in regards to bag infrastructure? Based on...all the star players he lured to TCU? Wielding the awesome power of the approximately 4500 living alumni of TCU? Well...that's one way to live a life of delusion. Personally, I'd pick better delusions, maybe starring Tara Davis in a romp with my wife. 

None of what you made up is what I was implying... Implying that he might become the overseer of such things, perhaps... but not that he is a master at it.

And I'm not going to think about your wife like that... because I don't know who Tara Davis is...

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me say it another way...  As *SOON* as A&M were to get concrete info on Texas bags, they would be willing to tell on themselves just to get us caught up... allow me to make up a scenario...

"NCAA!!!  t.u. is buying players and we can prove it!  We offered Five Star Jones $100,000 to come to Aggieland... We admit it. We had to try something, because big bad t.u. is offering $200,000, and we have a sworn, notarized statement from Five Star Jones and his mother!!!  You have to do something to stop texas university from buying all of college football!  They already bought ESPN!!!!!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Wasn't it Banks that played out of position for the UA game because they were shorthanded at that position?
And it was a position he'd never played before, if I remember correct.

I think it is because he struggled in some 1 on 1 drills that were not relative to a specific position a bit more than people thought he would. Then of course he laid waste to people in the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me say it another way...  As *SOON* as A&M were to get concrete info on Texas bags, they would be willing to tell on themselves just to get us caught up... allow me to make up a scenario...
"NCAA!!!  t.u. is buying players and we can prove it!  We offered Five Star Jones $100,000 to come to Aggieland... We admit it. We had to try something, because big bad t.u. is offering $200,000, and we have a sworn, notarized statement from Five Star Jones and his mother!!!  You have to do something to stop texas university from buying all of college football!  They already bought ESPN!!!!!!"

But what about the gentlemen's agreement
  • Haha 1

I know that most folks on here have Banks penciled in as a day one starter, but I just don't see it. I watched 3 of his games this year and he never really dominated in any of them. Didn't work up to the next level much and seemed out of shape. I thought Dewberry looked much better in the games I saw, but I don't know shit and am probably wrong. Carry on.

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Ended disastrously for that ND chick; she fell pregnant by one of the players she was trying to buy. This was the same year their former O-line coach Joe Moore filed an age-discrimination lawsuit against ND, and a lot of nasty stories from Lou Holtz' tenure bubbled to the surface during court depositions. Shattered the 'Notre Dame mystique'.

image.pngimage.png

kimduncan020200.jpg

not bad

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I think it is because he struggled in some 1 on 1 drills that were not relative to a specific position a bit more than people thought he would. Then of course he laid waste to people in the game. 

He actually played well in the game?

But they dropped him because of practice?

image.gif.d0033f7efdf5cb1cd4e9b96667e366dc.gif