Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

closetohumping

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I haven't boarded a plane in 8 years after well over a decade of flying 15+ times a year. Haven't missed it one bit. Well, now the wife wants to go to Hawaii next spring and I noticed SW goes to Hawaii from DFW. I have a couple hundred thousand Chase Sapphire points I can transfer to SW points so looking at going that route. Anyone have any experience with flying SW to Hawaii? Thinking Oahu since it'll be both of our first time going to Hawaii. 

Yeah, we did this in June 2022 with 2 kids.  Flew DAL->LAX->KOA on the way there.  Flight left DAL at 7 AM, had a 90 minute stop in LA and got to Kona around 1:30.  Coming back we flew out of Maui at 7:30, had a 2 hour stop in PHX and then got to Dallas at 10:45 PM.  It was like any other Southwest flight, nothing special but no problems.  From what I recall, there were few, if any, direct routes from DAL.  Oahu might have more options than Kona or Maui.

I was using 2 companion passes for the kids.  If you want to go for a companion pass, you could book flights with points now and then SWA will refund the points if/when you get the companion pass next year (assuming you get it before your trip). 

7 hours ago, fuggled said:

Yeah, we did this in June 2022 with 2 kids.  Flew DAL->LAX->KOA on the way there.  Flight left DAL at 7 AM, had a 90 minute stop in LA and got to Kona around 1:30.  Coming back we flew out of Maui at 7:30, had a 2 hour stop in PHX and then got to Dallas at 10:45 PM.  It was like any other Southwest flight, nothing special but no problems.  From what I recall, there were few, if any, direct routes from DAL.  Oahu might have more options than Kona or Maui.

I was using 2 companion passes for the kids.  If you want to go for a companion pass, you could book flights with points now and then SWA will refund the points if/when you get the companion pass next year (assuming you get it before your trip). 

I was under the impression you can't get companion pass from transferring points to SW from Sapphire. Is that not correct?

Glad to hear the trip went fine. Not looking forward to that much time in a plane but seeing Hawaii would be worth it. 

51 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I was under the impression you can't get companion pass from transferring points to SW from Sapphire. Is that not correct?

Glad to hear the trip went fine. Not looking forward to that much time in a plane but seeing Hawaii would be worth it. 

Right, you can't get the points by transferring. You have to earn them separately. The easiest way is to get Southwest branded cards that give a bonus for initial spending. If you get a personal card and a business card and then hit the minimum spend at the beginning of the year you can earn enough pretty fast.  But if you already have points it may not be worth the hassle.

• 1 month later...

WTH?

Southwest has lost its collective mind

So if you “identify” as a person of “extra” size you get to buy extra seats, notify the gate agent you will take extra seats and get refunded for all but one seat fare after the flight.

“That’s been the airline’s policy for ages. What I did not realize is that (1) they’ll let you reserve a whole row and (2) the current policy doesn’t even require the flight not to be full to refund the extra seats.”

And who pays for the lost revenue? 

spacer.png

On 12/12/2023 at 5:09 PM, slorch said:

subtle Sugardaddy play.

not hobby related - and if no cash changes hands - only "gifts" in the form of services - it's legal

i would love to find a CPA that would take payment for doing my taxes in RR miles at a discount

consensus points/$9.95 valuation is $0.015 per mile

$0.010 is a 33% discount

Just got back from a round trip AUS-ABQ.  Flight each way was on time, landed early, uneventful.  Bought cheap fares (even though I have 65k points, I use those for our summer trip to LA every year).  Just booked another RT to Vegas in February to go see U2 at the Sphere.  Hoping that works out.  And we bought a (pricey) RT ticket to Vegas for a soccer tournament for our foster kid in a couple of weeks.  Also hope that works out ok.

In recent years, my experience with SWA has been....fine.  I used to think it was an outstanding airline.  Now, it's fine.  It does the job, it's not much better or worse than anyone else, so I book based on fare and schedule.  And nope, I didn't have to go through the hell of their system collapse last Christmas, so that helps my impression.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The DoT fined Southwest 140 million for their system meltdown last year.  It's about 30 times bigger than any penalty they've ever given to an airline.

The DOT said it will also require Southwest to start issuing a $75 flight credit to any passenger whose arrival is delayed more than 3 hours when it's the airline's fault, including mechanical issues.

Edited by kevwun

On 12/14/2023 at 4:49 PM, Brisketexan said:

Just got back from a round trip AUS-ABQ.  Flight each way was on time, landed early, uneventful.  Bought cheap fares (even though I have 65k points, I use those for our summer trip to LA every year).  Just booked another RT to Vegas in February to go see U2 at the Sphere.  Hoping that works out.  And we bought a (pricey) RT ticket to Vegas for a soccer tournament for our foster kid in a couple of weeks.  Also hope that works out ok.

In recent years, my experience with SWA has been....fine.  I used to think it was an outstanding airline.  Now, it's fine.  It does the job, it's not much better or worse than anyone else, so I book based on fare and schedule.  And nope, I didn't have to go through the hell of their system collapse last Christmas, so that helps my impression.

Same feeling. My only "bigger" issue with SWA is the social media posting of the actually funny flight attendant has somehow convinced all the attendants they are stand up comics. It's cringe worthy.  Last flight as we're landing guy says "for those in need of a wheelchair please remain seated as they we'll be delayed a few minutes, but you're also free to make a run for it and they'll meet you in the terminal."

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The DOT said it will also require Southwest to start issuing a $75 flight credit to any passenger whose arrival is delayed more than 3 hours when it's the airline's fault, including mechanical issues.

I'd love to see SWA's bean counters do the risk analysis of flying with an engine that needs service vs paying out $10,000 for a late flight. You only technically need one engine to fly and land safely.

2 hours ago, TxTower said:

Need 2,000 RR points before YE to qualify for Companion Pass. RR credit card already posted points for December. What are my points earning options? Flight, hotel stay, rental car all before YE seem to the only options.

Before COVID, I was short a few hundred points, so I took a 6:30AM flight from Austin to Houston, got off the plane and was able to immediately jump on a return flight to Austin that was boarding. I was in the office before 8AM. Which was earlier than I would normally get there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Before COVID, I was short a few hundred points, so I took a 6:30AM flight from Austin to Houston, got off the plane and was able to immediately jump on a return flight to Austin that was boarding. I was in the office before 8AM. Which was earlier than I would normally get there.

Yep, I flew to New Orleans, hung out for about 18 hours, then back home for this same reason.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• 1 month later...

Read the comments on that. Every last one of them blames the hard landing on “DEI.” Nevermind the objective absurdity…we don’t even know the ID of the pilot. We are a country full of stupid people who believe stupid things for stupid reasons all the stupid time.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...

What is the current verdict on buying early bird check-in vs upgraded boarding day of?

Sending wife and kids to see my in-laws on Sunday on SWA connecting through MDW. All I really care about is them getting 3 together on both legs (same for way back). They are old, 14, and 11. 

American Airlines raised their checked bag fees up to $35 for first bag and $45 for second bag (add $5 per bag if you don’t book online). 

I’m going to bring golf clubs on my next Southwest flight and not even play golf. Because fuck you American Airlines, that’s why. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife is having the worst travel experience of her life on American right now. She’s exec platinum so she’s not a newbie.

She’s in Sydney on biz. She was supposed to fly from Sydney to LAX to DFW on Sat at 11:15 AM (aussie time). Flight was canceled and AA only has one flight per day out of Sydney.  She has spent numerous hours on the phone trying variations of flights back to dallas (through new zealand, asian countries). All are booked solid. She had to pay for another night in Sydney because fuck the customer.

Each representative she spoke with gave her a different reason for the inbound flight not coming to Sydney (mechanical, weather). Inbound flight is out of LAX and they experienced a downpour of 0.3 inches of rain yesterday. Weather in Sydney is 100 degrees and clear. No rational reason why weather is the issue.

As of now, she is booked on a quantas flight departing in a few hours from Sydney to DFW direct. Middle seat. Last row. She had a biz class ticket on AA.  She’ll become good friends with those standing in line for the restroom.

She may end up on the flight disrupters thread. Time will tell.

Each time she calls with an update or to vent, I channel Phil as I wake from my nap.

• Like 1

AA pulled that shit with us in Kauai. Canceled our flight and booked us 24 hours later because our PHX to Austin was canceled. No assholes, if I have to pay for an extra night somewhere it’ll be in Arizona for 1/4 the $ and not Hawaii. 

• Like 1

Wife is having the worst travel experience of her life on American right now. She’s exec platinum so she’s not a newbie.
She’s in Sydney on biz. She was supposed to fly from Sydney to LAX to DFW on Sat at 11:15 AM (aussie time). Flight was canceled and AA only has one flight per day out of Sydney.  She has spent numerous hours on the phone trying variations of flights back to dallas (through new zealand, asian countries). All are booked solid. She had to pay for another night in Sydney because fuck the customer.
Each representative she spoke with gave her a different reason for the inbound flight not coming to Sydney (mechanical, weather). Inbound flight is out of LAX and they experienced a downpour of 0.3 inches of rain yesterday. Weather in Sydney is 100 degrees and clear. No rational reason why weather is the issue.
As of now, she is booked on a quantas flight departing in a few hours from Sydney to DFW direct. Middle seat. Last row. She had a biz class ticket on AA.  She’ll become good friends with those standing in line for the restroom.
Each time she calls with an update or to vent, I channel Phil as I wake from my nap.

I'm sure she knows but if it's not in AA's sphere of control then your SOL. However, if it is, AA will reimburse you for the hotel, and food but the process is time-consuming and you have to file.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, GenXer said:

I fail to see the problem here, other than the personal inconvenience.  Book an airport hotel room, notify work (if needed), enjoy a good meal, chill out, and fly the next day.  Shit happens when you fly around the world for business.  Especially if there's only one flight out per day.  Not like the Aussies can pull a plane out of their ass.  And it seems like she voluntarily fucked herself over with the new trip home.

Edited by After irth
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

American Airlines Soon Starts Removing Flat Seats, TVs, Legroom From Its Best Domestic Planes

Already down to just 16 planes in service, these aircraft currently have 10 first class; 20 business class; and 72 coach seats – half of which are extra legroom “main cabin extra” seats. In the new configuration they will go from 102 total seats up to 196 – 20 first class and 176 coach.

Even though American Airlines will be replacing these planes on cross country routes with a new aircraft featuring business class suites and premium economy, there are several losses.

These Airbus A321T aircraft will get far less comfortable

There will no longer be a true ‘first class’ cabin

That also means the premium cabin will no longer come with access to American’s Flagship First Dining and to the Chelsea lounge at New York JFK

The biggest difference will actually be in economy, where there will be less legroom and fewer Main Cabin Extra seats.

Meanwhile the big changes to the current fleet of aircraft will be:

removing seatback entertainment screens

Less padded seats and smaller lavatories

Even removing a galley – passengers won’t be fed as much

image.thumb.png.6f4f0bd01349f22b3e08f1d575319a6a.png

American Airlines planned to eliminate true first class when US Airways management took over a decade ago. US Airways was used to being the low cost leader, rather than a premium airline, and couldn’t fathom selling those seats. They quickly learned that there was demand, especially from corporate buyers out of L.A. That’s dried up somewhat since the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/14/2023 at 5:59 AM, Newdoc said:

WTH?

Southwest has lost its collective mind

So if you “identify” as a person of “extra” size you get to buy extra seats, notify the gate agent you will take extra seats and get refunded for all but one seat fare after the flight.

“That’s been the airline’s policy for ages. What I did not realize is that (1) they’ll let you reserve a whole row and (2) the current policy doesn’t even require the flight not to be full to refund the extra seats.”

And who pays for the lost revenue? 

spacer.png

interesting.  I sat diagonally from a larger than average person on a SW flight about a year ago who was claiming to have paid for 2 seats and was shooing away anyone who attempted to sit next to him.  First time I had seen that.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

interesting.  I sat diagonally from a larger than average person on a SW flight about a year ago who was claiming to have paid for 2 seats and was shooing away anyone who attempted to sit next to him.  First time I had seen that.

Show me your papers!

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Show me your papers!

My gut reaction was to feel bad for the guy.  It wasn't just once or twice that he had to disclaim he was fat and needed two seats.  Unfortunately I can see many, many shameless individuals(looking at you, "needs extra time guy" walking casually down the jet way) taking advantage of the policy.

On 3/3/2024 at 3:18 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Flying into Long Beach on Friday. Probably my favorite airport in the US. Love the indoor-outdoor vibe.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f38c25fe14a80dfaad047fa4daa84f64.jpeg

Timely.  We are flying HOU-LGB-RNO tomorrow and decided to make a day of it in Long Beach just to break up the trip some as we will be skiing the rest of spring break.  7 hour layover now, renting a car and futzing around.  Airport looks cool, I think its the only LA airport I havent been to.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2024 at 2:23 PM, GenXer said:

It's possible that the metal was coming to LAX from somewhere other than Sydney.   

• 1 month later...