Wal Mart to roll-out their own insulin brand

Gil Bang

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

In the U.S. pharmaceutical industry, 90% of the global insulin market is owned by three companies: Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly, and Sanofi. These companies essentially have a monopoly on the market; there is simply no competition to drive the price down. And further, their price increases have remained consistent with one another over time.

DING, DING, Fucking DING!

• Hook 'Em 3

riddle me this, why is the price of insulin so high in the US? capitalism, fuck yea!? 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/cost-of-insulin-by-country

Insulin Costs Around the World.

To compare some insulin prices between countries around the world, the types of insulin must be considered. All prices below are the out-of-pocket cost in dollars per milliliter ($/mL).

Apidra (Rapid-Acting Insulin)

Humalog (Rapid-Acting Insulin)

Novorapid/Novolog (Rapid-Acting Insulin)

Humulin (Short-Acting Insulin)

Novolin (Short-Acting Insulin)

• Austria: $0.60

Lantus (Long-Acting Insulin)

• United States: $13.75
  • Syrian Arab Republic: $6.07
  • Brazil: $6.00
  • Canada: $5.87
  • Rwanda: $3.00
  • New Zealand: $0.22
  • Dominican Republic: $0.03
  • Argentina, Italy, Kuwait, Lithuania, Romania: $0.00

Levemir (Long-Acting Insulin)

Other Long-Acting Insulin

• Japan: $2.67
  • Sierra Leone: $2.45
  • United States: $2.33
  • Italy: $0.00

Humulin 70/30 or 50/50 or Humalog 75/25 (Mixed Insulin)

• Zambia: $2.80
  • Ghana: $2.30
  • India: $1.85
  • Pakistan: $0.50
  • Fiji, Kuwait: $0.00

Novolin 70/30 or Novolog 70/30 (Mixed Insulin)

Novomix (Mixed Insulin)

• India: $2.40

Just now, Post Oak said:

If Walmart was benevolent they could use their immensity and real estate locations to greatly improve the lives of the communities they serve with more ideas like this.

If.

You mean things like the cheapest products, cheap pharmacies with generic drugs, and tons of fat/ugly people to help those with body dysmorphia and self-esteem issues?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If Walmart was benevolent they could use their immensity and real estate locations to greatly improve the lives of the communities they serve with more ideas like this.

If.

And yet, they are looking like the good guys here. Not a good look for big pharma.

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If.

They're building urgent care clinics onto a lot of their stores.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They're building urgent care clinics onto a lot of their stores.

"Counseling Services"  JFC, I bet those are going to be fun...

"So, tell me how you're doing....can you introduce me to your lovely friend?  Does she have a name..."

it-been-a-while-since-we-checked-in-on-t

21 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Kinda shrewd to offer discounts on Mountain Dew 12 packs with an insulin purchase, though.

I can absolutely see this as a loss leader strategy that allows them to squeeze  a couple more years of food stamp purchases out of their fatties. Brilliant, actually.  

"Counseling Services"  JFC, I bet those are going to be fun...
"So, tell me how you're doing....can you introduce me to your lovely friend?  Does she have a name..."
it-been-a-while-since-we-checked-in-on-the-fine-people-of-walmart-50-pics-1.png

What I love isn’t just that the old dude bones a doll. It’s that in order for him to get his motor running, the doll has to be dressed like an extra in a Depeche Mode video.

Not that I disagree with the look, mind you.
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

Kinda shrewd to offer discounts on Mountain Dew 12 packs with an insulin purchase, though.

That's probably part of it but Amazon bought PillPack a few years ago and has been trying to move into health care (despite its epic JPMorgan fail). This is just corporate strategy. As noted, this is a great example of the stupidity of 'murica ... let's celebrate cheap insulin sold in a store full of diabetes-driving crap. A better strategy would be stop selling fatty, processed food.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron

3 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

That's probably part of it but Amazon bought PillPack a few years ago and has been trying to move into health care (despite its epic JPMorgan fail). This is just corporate strategy. As noted, this is a great example of the stupidity of 'murica ... let's celebrate cheap insulin sold in a store full of diabetes-driving crap. A better strategy would be stop selling fatty, processed food.

Why do you hate freedom?  Take your communistic bullshit elsewhere!  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Good for Walmart. I love them steppping into Pharma as they give zero fucks about price control. They will undercut you and laugh while you bleed out. 

tbh need more companies like Costco, regional grocery stores such as Publix/HEB/ETC, to do the same. It's the only way to force these big pharma companies to change their shit in the US.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

tbh need more companies like Costco, regional grocery stores such as Publix/HEB/ETC, to do the same. It's the only way to force these big pharma companies to change their shit in the US.

Market competition is almost never a bad thing.  Big pharma can eat a big bag of dicks

22 hours ago, crash_davis said:

When Walmart is the voice of reason then you know the opposing argument is fucked.

Good for Walmart.

The upside CVS, Walgreens, etc. will respond with their own discounted brand.

And locally in Texas, It will become a post of the "Shit HEB makes .... when it's open" thread because this is right up HEB's ally and huge part of it's market demographic  (saying this sadly)..  South Texas has huge problems with diabetes and HEB is the big dog.

9 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

What about type 1 diabetics?  Hate on them too.

34 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The upside CVS, Walgreens, etc. will respond with their own discounted brand.

And locally in Texas, It will become a post of the "Shit HEB makes .... when it's open" thread because this is right up HEB's ally and huge part of it's market demographic  (saying this sadly)..  South Texas has huge problems with diabetes and HEB is the big dog.

it's not mutually exclusive. you can encourage people to eat better and live healthier lifestyles while keeping the alive by providing them necessary life saving drugs at less than 1000% markup.

As stated above, as long as Wal-Mart is selling 2-liter Mountain Drew and family size Lay's potato chips, they're not interested in the health of the customers. They're interested in the money of their customers. Only.  And getting more people to come into your store to pick up drugs, is getting more of their junk food budget as well.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As stated above, as long as Wal-Mart is selling 2-liter Mountain Drew and family size Lay's potato chips, they're not interested in the health of the customers. They're interested in the money of their customers. Only.  And getting more people to come into your store to pick up drugs, is getting more of their junk food budget as well.

Like with most things, it's much more complicated than blaming Walmart because they sell shit that people are buying through their own free will.

It's like blaming Mexico for our drug problems. Is there a problem because of the Supply or is the problem due to the Demand? If you shut off the Supply, will it magically solve the Demand?

edit:

What I do know is that if you solve the Demand issue, the Supply issue goes away.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Did anyone argue Walmart gave a shit about health?

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Like with most things, it's much more complicated than blaming Walmart because they sell shit that people are buying through their own free will.

It's like blaming Mexico for our drug problems. Is there a problem because of the Supply or is the problem due to the Demand? If you shut off the Supply, will it magically solve the Demand?

I understand what you mean but you're saying that we shouldn't blame the drug dealer for selling heroin to their customers. I'm not in agreement with your analogy.