Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You have been getting called out because this is a partisan issue to you. It is not about evacuating our fellow human beings with you. You have looked for something partisan to bash on and this is your new flavor of the month. This is partly why so many people pile onto you. Between the endless conspiracies you propagate on this board and this I am not sure where you find the time to do much else. Push the computer to the side and go do something positive for an afternoon. All this hate and negativity just burns you up and gets more and more people to continue to pile on you. 

Do you think for a nano-second if this was Trump this entire echo chamber of a forum wouldn't be frothing at the mouth?  What disingenuous horseshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Do you think for a nano-second if this was Trump this entire echo chamber of a forum wouldn't be frothing at the mouth?  What disingenuous horseshit.  

Of course we would be.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying. This administration and the last one were total dogshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I'm not going to read a single other post in this thread so forgive me if this has been discussed.  This is for non gun people.  In all of the pictures and video I see of the Taliban, 90% of them are carrying new American rifles.  Some of them have thermal rifle scopes, laser sighting systems and other technology that they could never dream of having.  Overnight, they went from 50 year old AK47s with shot out smooth bore barrels to the latest greatest weapon systems.  Whenever we have to go back, and we will, our troops will be fighting against our own weapons.  Just another one of the many fuck ups of this withdrawal. 

We pay taxes to give others weapons.

1 minute ago, Da Fino said:

Of course we would be.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying. This administration and the last one were total dogshit. 

This is not about the decision to get out - this was the right call.  This is about the clusterfuck of an exfil we are watching unfold in front of our eyes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is not about the decision to get out - this was the right call.  This is about the clusterfuck of an exfil we are watching unfold in front of our eyes.  

I never said it was a bad decision to get out. 

you mean the nato ally that has spent a few years begging us to get out of the way of the project and to let it finish?
You mean the same nato ally that if the SHTF with the Russians will be begging for us to get in the way? The same Russians who will have gotten billions for weapons from that same nato ally.

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
31 minutes ago, sidis said:
you mean the nato ally that has spent a few years begging us to get out of the way of the project and to let it finish?

You mean the same nato ally that if the SHTF with the Russians will be begging for us to get in the way? The same Russians who will have gotten billions for weapons from that same nato ally.

this is called a non-sequitur.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

When you answer a suggestion of doing something positive with even more negativity I really think you need to get a mental health screening. Please do yourself a favor and get an appointment with a psychiatrist. Mental health is more important than ever before and you need to visit one. Many of us have and there are probably some psychiatrists on this board that can point you in the right direction. You are only hurting yourself with your continuing rants filled with hatred for your fellow human beings. You get one shot at life and you insist on wasting it. Make some positive choices for your life. Posting on this website is absolutely a net negative for you mentally and has been for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

I never said it was a bad decision to get out. 

I never said you did.  I'm speaking to this false choice narrative that has sprung up that any criticisms of HOW we extricate ourselves is really just a masking for wanting to stay.  

15 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

When you answer a suggestion of doing something positive with even more negativity I really think you need to get a mental health screening. Please do yourself a favor and get an appointment with a psychiatrist. Mental health is more important than ever before and you need to visit one. Many of us have and there are probably some psychiatrists on this board that can point you in the right direction. You are only hurting yourself with your continuing rants filled with hatred for your fellow human beings. You get one shot at life and you insist on wasting it. Make some positive choices for your life. Posting on this website is absolutely a net negative for you mentally and has been for a long time.

48fd9f48-0a76-4ee4-b7d2-ec724c8656b5_tex

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

48fd9f48-0a76-4ee4-b7d2-ec724c8656b5_tex

So much anger. Try not to use the r word when talking to people. It shows a lack of character on your part to even have that word in your vocabulary.

Take a break from this board and seek some help. Maybe you’ll come back with the ability to make useful contributions to threads instead of the same old partisan hatred that you cannot help but partake in.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I never said you did.  I'm speaking to this false choice narrative that has sprung up that any criticisms of HOW we extricate ourselves is really just a masking for wanting to stay.  

You have repeatedly taken the position that the deal with the Taliban -- the key provisions of which are "US will GTFO and the Taliban will not attack us" -- was broken, and thus shouldn't be followed.  That is, the US should have set whatever timetable it wants, and leave how and when it wants, without regard for any deal with the Taliban.

What do you think the outcome of that path will be?  There's a shitload of chest-puffing bravado out there about how we should have been more aggressive, blown more shit up, and shown those dirty Talib's who's boss, and if they get in our way, BOOM, headshot, all that shit.  What's the end game of that path?  There's no way that doesn't end in 1) combat which 2) requires a commitment of more resources to conduct competently which 3) means we have a significant military presence in Afghanistan which means the 4) if we ever want to get THAT presence out of Afghanistan, we're going to have to do it while they are shooting at us on the way out.

When you are on someone else's dirt, and you don't want them to shoot at you as you leave, you are going to have to make a shitload of concessions.  If you say fuck you, we'll leave on our own terms and IDGAF what you want, particularly there, it doesn't go well....

On January 13, 1842, a British army doctor reaches the British sentry post at Jalalabad, Afghanistan, the lone survivor of a 16,000-strong Anglo-Indian expeditionary force that was massacred in its retreat from Kabul. He told of a terrible massacre in the Khyber Pass, in which the Afghans gave the defeated Anglo-Indian force and their camp followers no quarter.

Again, I don't think anyone here is giving this process a high grade at all.  There's a shitload that's gone wrong, and could have been done much better.  Of course, the evacuation that has been happening in the past few days may also go down in history as one of the more impressive logistical achievements in modern history.  Time will be the judge of all of that.

But back to the first point......there are only two paths: no combat with the Taliban, or combat with the Taliban.  And combat with the Taliban would certainly require us to commit more forces to the immediate effort, defeating the entire point of withdrawing from the area.  So, we needed to choose the "no combat with the Taliban path" IF we wanted to actually leave.  Lobbying so hard for the other path necessarily means that you do not favor leaving -- you favor continued combat and continued presence.  That's the inevitable outcome of that path.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I'm not going to read a single other post in this thread so forgive me if this has been discussed.  This is for non gun people.  In all of the pictures and video I see of the Taliban, 90% of them are carrying new American rifles.  Some of them have thermal rifle scopes, laser sighting systems and other technology that they could never dream of having.  Overnight, they went from 50 year old AK47s with shot out smooth bore barrels to the latest greatest weapon systems.  Whenever we have to go back, and we will, our troops will be fighting against our own weapons.  Just another one of the many fuck ups of this withdrawal. 

b1b79c97c23a999c9bca4359e567eed6.jpeg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

We'd be crushing him, no doubt. And you'd be fuming at the media for not focusing more on how many he's getting out with limited violence.

Time. Flat circle. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I like how everyone is acting like this is the first time a shit load of American weaponry has changed sides. We’ll probably do it again somewhere else in the future too 

Well, usually we do it voluntarily. And that makes it better...for some reason?

• Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I like how everyone is acting like this is the first time a shit load of American weaponry has changed sides. We’ll probably do it again somewhere else in the future too 

Those American weapons won’t last 2 months. They are built to a standard that they must receive monthly updates via tech ops. 

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

That's not what's going on.  We knew we were leaving, but just left everything here like it wasn't gonna fall into the Talibans hands at some point no more than a year down the road ? 

No one said the Afghan gov't WASN'T going to fall, they (the experts) all said it would, but that it would last a while, like maybe a year. 

So you might wanna re think that thought.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's not what's going on.  We knew we were leaving, but just left everything here like it wasn't gonna fall into the Talibans hands at some point no more than a year down the road ? 

No one said the Afghan gov't WASN'T going to fall, they (the experts) all said it would, but that it would last a while, like maybe a year. 

So you might wanna re think that thought.

So we were just going to disarm the troops we allegedly trained for the Afghan govt before we left? 

• Hook 'Em 4

You people realize we are the largest supplier of weapons in the world, right?  Like, you realize what Raytheon does to make money?

you’re sweating some M4s?  We probably buy enough AK derivatives for allies and maybe allies to keep Eastern European factories running day and night. 

GTFO with sudden concern about what we left behind in Afghanistan, just because a few Taliban got into the weapons room at the palace and are playing dress up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Can you have the lol and rage emoticon at the same time?

I had the same reaction when the WSJ editorial page published a piece by Paul Bremer talking about how good things in Iraq were compared to Afghanistan the other day.

13 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I believe Trump released 5000 taliban prisoners and drew our forces down to 2500 prior to setting a May 2021 deadline. This is what Biden inherited. What should Biden have done differently in your opinion?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I believe Trump released 5000 taliban prisoners and drew our forces down to 2500 prior to setting a May 2021 deadline. This is what Biden inherited. What should Biden have done differently in your opinion?

Been a republican

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

So are AK's. You can get some bad ass custom additions in Afghanistan. Plus a scope is easily duct taped to the front. Just takes some practice zeroing it in. 

That doesn't sound tacticool.   Unless it matches my ductape body armor.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Are you insinuating that the plural of "Lego" is "Lego" and not "Legos?"

I always said Legos, but since my son has gotten really into them, I’ve noticed that all the Lego nerds we watch seem to use Lego as plural. I’ll take any chance I can get to use the awkward, unintuitive, and pompous sounding phrasing. Life’s more fun that way.

Just like someone using data as plural communicates that they’re more likely to understand the data they’re using, plural Lego seems to be a Lego nerd shibboleth.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

I always said Legos, but since my son has gotten really into them, I’ve noticed that all the Lego nerds we watch seem to use Lego as plural. I’ll take any chance I can get to use the awkward, unintuitive, and pompous sounding phrasing. Life’s more fun that way.

Just like someone using data as plural communicates that they’re more likely to understand the data they’re using, plural Lego seems to be a Lego nerd shibboleth.

I think they're using it as a verb. I lego or I'm lego-ing ??... not to be confused with leggo of my Eggo

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think they're using it as a verb. I lego or I'm lego-ing ??... not to be confused with leggo of my Eggo

I think it’s officially an adjective. According to the Lego company it’s Lego bricks, but the Lego nerds seem to use it as a plural noun. I’m a descriptivist at heart, so I go with the people over the official version.

Of course my depth of knowledge on this subject rivals my depth of knowledge on Afghanistan and infectious diseases. 

Edited by Mole