What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Ground stop at ABIA for arrivals. Radio issues localized to AUS. 

CTL ELEMENT: AUS ELEMENT TYPE: APT ADL TIME: 1335Z GROUND STOP PERIOD: 25/1325Z - 25/1445Z DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (2ndTier) ZLA ZTL ZDC ZHU ZJX ZFW ZDV ZMA ZKC ZME ZID ZAB PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 167 / 61 / 8 NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 979 / 76 / 44 PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM IMPACTING CONDITION: EQUIPMENT / OCL: EQUIPMENT COMMENTS: LOST COMMS IN TOWER. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/faa-ground-stop-at-aus-for-arriving-flights/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Federal Aviation Administration issued a ground stop Monday morning at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport for arriving flights.

An AUS spokesperson said the ground stop is expected to last about an hour or more. There are radio issues localized to AUS.

Flights are rerouting to other airports such as Houston and Dallas, depending on their origin airport, the spokesperson said.

Departing flights can take off, but there may be delays. An AUS spokesperson could not say how many departing flights were affected.

Passengers should check in with airlines for the latest flight information. A spokesperson said if you are picking up someone from the airport, to stay in touch with them.

Edited by ConferenceRoom

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Woman found dead in Northwest Hills this morning. 

Surely somebody is on the NW Hills Nextdoor who can share with us what the scoop is on this one (I'm not on there, because fuck Nextdoor - I have never felt the need to make 40 posts in a row worrying about suspicious-looking black or brown people in work trucks).

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Surely somebody is on the NW Hills Nextdoor who can share with us what the scoop is on this one (I'm not on there, because fuck Nextdoor - I have never felt the need to make 40 posts in a row worrying about suspicious-looking black or brown people in work trucks).

Or wondering why the helicopters are out flying, or whether they are hearing gunfire or firecrackers -- and don't all of you bad people know that firecrackers and other fireworks are illegal?  So much Karening!

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My sister, very much on nextdoor, says cops were going door to door this morning to get camera footage of the street in the early morning hours.

Just now, LCHorn said:

Seems a very weird place to dump a body.

We almost bought a place on Cat Mountain Dr so this hits close to home… 

Defense attorney, "Look, this is likely the work of the Town Lake Killer, not my client.  A lot of people are saying Northwest Hills is the New Rainey Street of Austin."

Judge, "Yeah, nobody is saying that.  Bail is set for $1.0mm."  

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Defense attorney, "Look, this is likely the work of the Town Lake Killer, not my client.  A lot of people are saying Northwest Hills is the New Rainey Street of Austin."

Judge, "Yeah, nobody is saying that.  Bail is set for $1.0mm."  

Sounds like it is time to turn on the bat signal for @Nicole44

• Haha 1

Man, the pandemic, inflation, rising property prices, and interest rates seem to have just thrown restaurants for a loop in NW Austin. There are so many large restaurant buildings that are shuttered and have been for a long time. I guess they become condos?

Catfish Parlor
BrickHouse Tavern
Bone Daddy's
Luby's

Of all those, Luby's was the only one I ever ate at, but even Chuy's is nowhere close to as busy as it was before.

Then you add in Fry's being closed, the old Weirdo's location, and there's a lot of big spaces doing absolutely nothing. 

58 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Good idea from the business side of it, drive the new transplants to your business so they can claim they're part of the Austin legacy.

But this is quite douchey from the outsider standpoint.

It is so douchy... I'm all for the idea of sending business to these places but I can't imagine any local doing this, at least not anyone with dignity.  I mean, I'm all for going to all these places and do but, yeah... go to the bartender at the Deep Eddy with your passport book. LOL.  They should go do that at G&S, too.  Bartender will love them for it.

Re: @FirstTimeCaller sometimes you wonder why those locations went under because a lot of places around town are packed to the gills.  For something like Catfish Parlour, the original owner retired.  Maybe its hard to find a tenant for a space like that.  As for Chuy's... I don't know man... I've said it since day one... Chuy's kind of sucks and the one in SW Austin at least always seems to be full.  Can't speak from experience, just visually... 

Edited by texasdago

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

As for Chuy's... I don't know man... I've said it since day one... Chuy's kind of sucks and the one in SW Austin at least always seems to be full.  Can't speak from experience, just visually... 

For us it's a relatively cheap and serviceable Tex-Mex. There's better out there, but we know how to order cheap and it's decently tasty. At least at the 183 location, I really like looking through the trees to see the homeless hanging out under the underpass. 

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man, the pandemic, inflation, rising property prices, and interest rates seem to have just thrown restaurants for a loop in NW Austin. There are so many large restaurant buildings that are shuttered and have been for a long time. I guess they become condos?

Catfish Parlor
BrickHouse Tavern
Bone Daddy's
Luby's

Of all those, Luby's was the only one I ever ate at, but even Chuy's is nowhere close to as busy as it was before.

Then you add in Fry's being closed, the old Weirdo's location, and there's a lot of big spaces doing absolutely nothing. 

Where the fuck was there a fry's up that way in the last 20 years?  I can't picture it for the life of me. 

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That big strip center at Parmer and Mopac - the one with Harbor Freight in it.

Yeah, there's a Big Lots, Harbor Freight, Planet Fitness, Half Priced Books, and a furniture store. With Fry's gone, that parking lot has turned into a car camping spot. Honestly if you're going to car camp anywhere, it seems like a decent spot for it as it's a massive empty lot (that sort of parking area should never be built in the first place, but that's another thread) that's kind of hidden from view.

Still, between the car camping and empty storefronts, it feels dead/dying over there. Not exactly vibrant.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

I guess you can look at the stamps in the passport and remember these places when they're gone. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/passport-program-to-celebrate-legacy-austin-businesses/

The businesses participating include:

BookPeople

Broken Spoke

Carousel Lounge

Cisco’s

Deep Eddy Cabaret

The Driskill Hotel

Green & White Grocery

The Herb Bar

The Paramount Theatre

Peter Pan Mini-Golf

Playland Skate Center

Quality Seafood Market

Waterloo Records & Music

Never heard of Green and White Grocery or The Herb Bar.

Here is a new one:

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/at-acc-nearly-500k-in-student-pandemic-aid-went-to-employees/

Seems during the pandemic 115 ACC employees received almost $500,000 in federal funds intended as a lifeline for destitute students who were impacted by the crisis.

Many of the employees never registered for a course at ACC before or after the one semester they signed up for a class in order to qualify for the emergency funding. 
One administrator who has an $80,000 salary got $1,500, and another who was on the payroll for $90,000 received $3,500.

Several employees in the financial office that were responsible for distributing the aid money received the benefits themselves.

An investigator commented that the money was not intended to be a windfall, but as direct aid to keep students from losing their housing and meal tickets.

The ACC Chancellor defended the employees.

Now it is probable that some of the employees were students working their way through school, but some were obviously ripping off the taxpayer through devious fraud. 
Seems a number of heads need to roll.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Rage+1 6

Let's see what my CM has to say in her newsletter. I'm sure addressing the big issues and how she is working toward solutions will be featured prominently...

image.png.a7f78548eb49b4a69b7eae2b73506fb7.png

Oh, it's a Celebration of Life. For a tree. I'm living in Portlandia.

Look, I love trees. I support the Austin ordinance on tree removals. But this should not take one of the top billings in your communications. We have real big city issues. This isn't 1974 Austin anymore.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Let's see what my CM has to say in her newsletter. I'm sure addressing the big issues and how she is working toward solutions will be featured prominently...

image.png.a7f78548eb49b4a69b7eae2b73506fb7.png

Oh, it's a Celebration of Life. For a tree. I'm living in Portlandia.

Look, I love trees. I support the Austin ordinance on tree removals. But this should not take one of the top billings in your communications. We have real big city issues. This isn't 1974 Austin anymore.

How many photos of dickbutt have been submitted to that inbox?  That mailbox should be flooded with garbage, stat!

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Fill that inbox with some of our old, classic McKenzie Kelly photos.

To be fair, in addition to her disaster sciences work, she is also an internet-certified arborist.  By that I mean she likes long brown trunks.  

On 10/2/2023 at 8:36 AM, Deej said:

I guess you can look at the stamps in the passport and remember these places when they're gone. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/passport-program-to-celebrate-legacy-austin-businesses/

Heard a discussion that there might be some efforts to save Peter Pan Mini-Golf by the Historical Society.  It's been locally owned by the Dismukes family since its inception in 1948. 

0920-ABJ-Peter-Pan.jpg?w=320&h=180&crop=

75 Years... Wow

I think Broken Spoke might hang around quite awhile longer...

Screenshot_20231004-152058_kindlephoto-20477418.png.e17cb5fb7ff076823e2e5409d79c1abf.png

Edited by LTtxfan