Fentanyl laced Oxy, Valium, and Xanax

crash_davis

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Right, probably after being addicted to opiates or introduced to it by laced stuff. 

Sure, but I’m talking about open air drug markets like the Tenderloin or Skid Row; no one goes to these places for drugs without an addiction in the first place. What I’m saying is these are now, and have been for a few years, blatant fentanyl markets, and it is a totally fucked situation with a massive overdose crisis. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Uh, just spit-balling here, but maybe because they are teenagers?

I went to Austin High and I didn't know one person that was doing or interested in doing hard-ass opioids like percocet. And at one point I probably smoked as much pot as any of the other 2,000 kids there. Do you know what percocet is?

The bullshit anecdotes people have in discussions like these always amaze me. Anyone acting like it's normal for "teenagers" to be fucking with xanax or high-strength painkillers is deluding themselves. 

By the way - I wound up knowing those kids before I graduated high school and trust me they were extremely few and far between. Like one in 200.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/24/2024 at 6:57 PM, jimmyjazz said:

14 YO kid died last week of a fentanyl overdose.  Close relative of a very famous Austin music family.  Nope, I'm not doxxing, don't even ask.  It's horrible.

Shit’s terrible. Long term client just buried his 19 year old daughter last month. My kids cheered competitively with her growing up and said she had some problems transitioning to college and with her parents divorce. They know it was fentanyl, but no one knows the details.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

My nephew's wife and two friends died the weekend of the super bowl after snorting what they thought was coke but it was contaminated with fent. That's two people in consecutive years that are a part of my extended family that have died the exact same way. She has a precious 2 year old girl that now grows up without a mom. She was 24 years old.

Oh Jesus man. Sorry to hear that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Shit’s terrible. Long term client just buried his 19 year old daughter last month. My kids cheered competitively with her growing up and said she had some problems transitioning to college and with her parents divorce. They know it was fentanyl, but no one knows the details.

It’s a hell of an environment to raise kids these days. In the 90s we could fuck around and find out was relatively mild unless you went off the rails. Oxycodone overdoses took a few of extended orbit acquaintances when that stuff came on the scene later. I can’t imagine what shit would have looked like with fentanyl laced Xanax and stepped on coke around every corner. It has to be literally zero tolerance, which is always an effective approach. Roll eyes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It’s a hell of an environment to raise kids these days. In the 90s we could fuck around and find out was relatively mild unless you went off the rails. Oxycodone overdoses took a few of extended orbit acquaintances when that stuff came on the scene later. I can’t imagine what shit would have looked like with fentanyl laced Xanax and stepped on coke around every corner. It has to be literally zero tolerance, which is always an effective approach. Roll eyes. 

True, it’s not like it was when the worst thing we had to worry about was baby laxative or some benign stuff.   Biggest problem now is even if you teach kids and they’re aware of the danger, once your inhibitions are impaired things happen.  Bad things.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

True, it’s not like it was when the worst thing we had to worry about was baby laxative or some benign stuff.   Biggest problem now is even if you teach kids and they’re aware of the danger, once your inhibitions are impaired things happen.  Bad things.  

Yep. Worst shit I saw was a bad batch of benzos from Mexico. This was in the timeframe that rohypnols were all over the place and some triazolam or some shit got mixed into circulation and a few kids locked up their jaws. Some time and Benadryl later and they were back to fighting form. These days they just dead with respiratory failure. 

I never did drugs besides coffee and beer, but in my day the terror was "ANGEL DUST LACED MARY JANE" and you'd jump out of a high rise window to your death (although that never happened, anywhere, ever).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never did drugs besides coffee and beer, but in my day the terror was "ANGEL DUST LACED MARY JANE" and you'd jump out of a high rise window to your death (although that never happened, anywhere, ever).

From what I’ve followed, teen opiate use is dipping.  But the tales of one bad fentanyl hit killing you are true. 

We did a pretty amazing job of tackling smoking over the years, we are down close to something like 11 percent of adults smoking and that is a tremendous achievement.  And it keeps falling. 

I’d be for a similar approach with this.  We have to figure out ways to increase costs and to make cessation programs accessible and socially applauded and saluted. 

We also need a stigmatization program around drug use like we did with smoking, where it isn’t socially acceptable in most circumstances and it’s coded as not cool. Not tragic life cut short stuff, which is actually appealing to young minds. Maybe media where drug use is something that racists and homophobes and aggressively stupid people do. And not that the drugs make them that way, just that it’s something those types of people do. Hollywood did a great job of this with cigarettes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s tough to think about how Im going to keep my kids safe when they get older.  I’m not too worried about them intentionally taking fentanyl (or coke or Xanax), I’m much more worried about them drinking then doing something stupid once they lose their inhibitions.  Scary shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

It’s tough to think about how Im going to keep my kids safe when they get older.  I’m not too worried about them intentionally taking fentanyl (or coke or Xanax), I’m much more worried about them drinking then doing something stupid once they lose their inhibitions.  Scary shit.

My experience with my teen is that no one drinks. They all just smoke weed.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

As long as they stay away from Rainey St. (and Nicole), they should be fine. How do they feel about Chilean Sea Bass?

28 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My experience with my teen is that no one drinks. They all just smoke weed.  

Not around here, all of my kids (18/16) friends drink and no one really does drugs. My kids don’t do any of it other than an occasional drink at least to this point. My parents/stepparents are all severe alcoholics, so my kids have seen the bad side of drinking and just don’t have an interest currently. My wife and I don’t drink, so it also helps them make better decisions I think. From what we’ve seen the parents that are having a drink with every meal and looking the other way with their kids all have kids that are hitting it hard. My oldest gets a call almost every weekend to pick them up from parties and take them home.

My daughter drinks and smokes a bit, my son doesn't do either.  One of his roommates drinks like a fish, to the point where I've told him never to get in a car his roommate is driving after dark, but just call me and I'll take him where he needs to go.  Seems like drink outweighs weed in their peer groups for the most part.  Fentanyl is a big fear.

Sometimes we'll have purple in the morning as that's our father son time - It's like our morning Tang. Noon is more of his whatever time, like whatever he can scrounge up - you know glue, poppers, that sort of thing. God, I can't wait for him to get out of diapers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

so I'm still confused

who is taking the fent? skid row types? if that is the case why do people spend blood and treasure smuggling this shit? crack made sense. fent does not. 

there's got to be another market

also I'm still confused on fent's role in the market. is it the product or the dilutant in the product that kills people? 

where is the goddamn fent money

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so I'm still confused

who is taking the fent? skid row types? if that is the case why do people spend blood and treasure smuggling this shit? crack made sense. fent does not. 

there's got to be another market

also I'm still confused on fent's role in the market. is it the product or the dilutant in the product that kills people? 

where is the goddamn fent money

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid. Similar to other opioid analgesics (pain relievers), fentanyl produces effects such as: relaxation, euphoria, pain relief, and sedation. A dose of 100 µg (0.1 mg) is approximately equivalent in analgesic activity to 10 mg of morphine (ie. It is 100X more effective). The principal actions of therapeutic value in medicine are analgesia and sedation.

2 mg of fentanyl can kill someone. It kills by respiratory depression, meaning that you stop breathing. People generally start taking fentanyl after starting with other opioids such as Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with Codeine), Percocet (Oxycodone), Vicodin/Lortab (Hydrocodone), and Oxycontin (Oxycodone). Purple and lean is  codeine and promethazine cough syrup mixed with a sweetener. People move up to stronger opioids as they become more tolerant. So typically,people start with the light stuff and then later end up on stronger and stronger opioids. After taking opioids many times, the brain adapts to the drug, making it hard to feel pleasure from anything besides the drug. Some drug dealers mix fentanyl with other drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, and MDMA. This is because it takes very little to produce a high with fentanyl, making it a cheaper option.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure Haydens problem is that fentanyl doesn't give "upper" customers what they want. Works fine for downer people, notso hotso for the speed freaks. 

I suppose some of those customers aren't going to enjoy fent laced drug of choice. Maybe others aren't so discriminatimg and quickly learn to enjoy fentanyl and become addicted if not dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

or climb into a chicken coop only to be rescued by your mom the next morning...funniest movie scene ever!

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is Fent cheaper? Is there a reason they are lacing everything with it? Or to get them hooked on opiates? 

They can use teeny amounts to spike another drug so yeah I think it's cost effective. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty sure Haydens problem is that fentanyl doesn't give "upper" customers what they want. Works fine for downer people, notso hotso for the speed freaks. 

Well, alcohol is a depressant and gives people what they want - a removal of inhibitions. Opioids give a feeling of euphoria and a sense of relaxation and some provide hallucinogenic effects. In many ways, alcohol and opioids are similar.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Is Fent cheaper? Is there a reason they are lacing everything with it? Or to get them hooked on opiates? 

It's way cheaper, more addictive and now everyone is used to it. Addicts want the most insane high and fent gives them that. The reason its in things like coke is that drug dealers in small operations don't clean the machines they use to mix fent into their opioids so it contaminates the coke. Almost all heroin is laced with fent now. It's all about maximizing profits and taking advantage of so many people in deep despair.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:05 PM, ztejas said:

I went to Austin High and I didn't know one person that was doing or interested in doing hard-ass opioids like percocet. And at one point I probably smoked as much pot as any of the other 2,000 kids there. Do you know what percocet is?

The bullshit anecdotes people have in discussions like these always amaze me. Anyone acting like it's normal for "teenagers" to be fucking with xanax or high-strength painkillers is deluding themselves. 

By the way - I wound up knowing those kids before I graduated high school and trust me they were extremely few and far between. Like one in 200.

I'm not sure how old you are, but kids made a massive shift toward pills over other drugs about twenty-five years ago.  It has been waning in the last few years.  Use of narcotics other than heroin (e.g. Percocet, Vicodin, Oxy, etc.) was around 10% of high school seniors in 2004, and now it's down to around 1%.  If you graduated high school in the last decade or prior to the turn of the century, your experience aligns somewhat with the numbers.  If you're a millinial then you either didn't realize just how bad the pill popping was or Austin High was an outlier.  My experience was much closer to yours, with most teens smoking weed and a handful of burnouts messing with slightly harder stuff - but I'm old.  Pills weren't even considered an option back then. It was mostly just shitty weed.  Eventually, pills became the first thing sought after, with everything else an afterthought.  This peaked around fifteen years ago but started in the late 90s/early 2000s.  And yes, that includes Xanax and Percocet.  

Teen drug use of any kind is not "normal" now, if it ever was, depending on how you define normal.  I agree with your sentiment there.  Around 62% of 12th graders today don't use any drugs, including alcohol or nicotine.  This is significantly better than the 35% of abstainers in the mid-nineties, for example (smoking and drinking were WAY higher at that time, which drives the numbers up, but illicit drug use was also significantly higher.  The use of opiates other than heroin at that time was almost non-existent, especially compared to the era of 2000-2012.   My pop psychology take is that millennials were too addled by anxiety to enjoy certain drugs, so weed, alcohol, etc. waned while anti-anxiety meds and narcotics exploded. This era also coincided with the explosion of pain pills and meds like Xanax floating around in parents' medicine cabinets.  Access was easy, and the appeal of these types of drugs was peaking.  Use of things like Delta 8 is currently growing among current teens, while pills have taken a nose dive.  I assume access has a lot to do with that shift, as well.   In any event, the use of any type of drugs has fluctuated between ~30% and ~50% for decades, with the trend significantly down at the moment.  Most kids are not doing any drugs these days, but the number of kids popping hard pills was significant from around 2000-2015.  The only era in the last fifty years with lower drug use among teens than right now was the late eighties and early nineties, when scare tactics were in full force and seemingly working to a degree (the AIDS crisis having a ton to do with it).  The peak of adolescent drug use was the late 70's and early 80's, followed by a huge drop off and another significant spike in the mid nineties.  It's been slowly petering out since then. The big difference is the types of substances being used. From 2000- to about 2012, pills like percocet and xanax were the drug of choice for many teens.  After 2012 it started dwindling down to very little usage anymore, which is a good thing.

From the NIH (this survey has been conducted for almost fifty years).  You can find data from every year, but the 2020 report is a good one if you want to avoid pandemic skewing.

"The percentage of adolescents reporting they used any illicit substances in 2023 continued to hold steady below the pre-pandemic levels reported in 2020, with 10.9% of eighth graders, 19.8% of 10th graders, and 31.2% of 12th graders reporting any illicit drug use in the past year, according to the latest results from the Monitoring the Future survey"

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid. Similar to other opioid analgesics (pain relievers), fentanyl produces effects such as: relaxation, euphoria, pain relief, and sedation. A dose of 100 µg (0.1 mg) is approximately equivalent in analgesic activity to 10 mg of morphine (ie. It is 100X more effective). The principal actions of therapeutic value in medicine are analgesia and sedation.

2 mg of fentanyl can kill someone. It kills by respiratory depression, meaning that you stop breathing. People generally start taking fentanyl after starting with other opioids such as Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with Codeine), Percocet (Oxycodone), Vicodin/Lortab (Hydrocodone), and Oxycontin (Oxycodone). Purple and lean is  codeine and promethazine cough syrup mixed with a sweetener. People move up to stronger opioids as they become more tolerant. So typically,people start with the light stuff and then later end up on stronger and stronger opioids. After taking opioids many times, the brain adapts to the drug, making it hard to feel pleasure from anything besides the drug. Some drug dealers mix fentanyl with other drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, and MDMA. This is because it takes very little to produce a high with fentanyl, making it a cheaper option.

Just would like to clarify because OxyContin and oxycodone should be distinguished. To my understanding:

Oxycodone is used for palliative care and for patients with acute pain from (for example) cancer or surgery when no other medication is effective. It has a relatively short half-life. The medication stems from the opium poppy and it's been used in medications for many decades.

Purdue Pharma originally created OxyContin to market oxycodone in a time-released capsule. Purdue Pharma marketed a product with extra-large doses of oxycodone (to get around half-life problems) and so it could be marketed as a 2x per day drug. They lobbied for and received a stamp of approval from the FDA for treatment of even mild chronic pain. Note the huge expansion in the legal user group they created. Of course many of those patients became addicted to the medication because of the large dosage, the problem became even worse because the capsule's timed-release mechanism was easily defeated, and the capsule could easily be crushed and snorted by addicts.

OxyContin continues to be sold legally but the patients it can be prescribed to has been reduced, the amount of time any single patient may be prescribed it has been drastically reduced, and the time-release function is difficult-to-impossible to defeat.

Well to be fair, the ego part is because we don't want to appear vulnerable or addicted, and so we continue the cycle which our ego keeps us from asking for help for and around and around the vicious cycle goes.  

But if we're objective, there's fentanyl all around the world.  There's drug use/abuse all around the world.  Addiction and mental illness are not unique to the United States.  We just cannot stop stepping on our drug-addled dicks.  It's maddening.  Most of the West has proactive and reactive systems to handle this kinda shit and we just fuck it up at every goddamn turn.  I'm sure there's some conspiracy to just hook Americans on opiates but in the interest of Western Capitalism, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume maybe in the interest of profit, they're also trying to hook other people with disposable income on the shit.  Yet our country just sits and wonders "Why would a drug addict just not do drugs?"  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 5:18 AM, Bevo said:

On 3/3/2024 at 6:56 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose some of those customers aren't going to enjoy fent laced drug of choice. Maybe others aren't so discriminatimg and quickly learn to enjoy fentanyl and become addicted if not dead. 

i so understand that fent is opiod. I'm fully aware of what that is, what a problem it is, etc.

what i am not understanding is the market.

crack makes sense because it's a pure product that gets stepped on and transformed. 

but usually drug people don't cut drugs with better more potent drugs. usually that's not how it works

i so understand that fent is opiod. I'm fully aware of what that is, what a problem it is, etc.
what i am not understanding is the market.
crack makes sense because it's a pure product that gets stepped on and transformed. 
but usually drug people don't cut drugs with better more potent drugs. usually that's not how it works

If fentanyl costs $150/lb, and adding 1oz of fentanyl to 1 kilo of heroin allows me turn that 1 kg into 10kg’s, that’s a pretty good return on investment, no?

Cartels probably hired some Blue Bell executives to help them with market research and their decision tree. They found that the increasing rates of addiction provided an increase in the steady stream of customers to replace those lost due to manufacturing error. The costs of fixing those errors was below the ROI for sustained use as customers still tend to expire prematurely. So the best course of action is to do nothing. Another consulting firm found a recall could disrupt their market dominance and pave the way for a hostile takeover.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A lot of the fake opiate pills contain fent.

These are pills that are knock-offs/counterfit but made (usually in China/Asia and Mexico) in order to meet demand, cheaply in the streets.

They are often known as "pressed pills" and while addicts/users/drug dealers can be ignorant of them in their possession, the majority of the time it is known they are in possession of fake percs, for example.

I believe the street nickname for people who knowingly buy and use these counterfit pills with fent traced/laced (e.g pressed pills) are called "Gremlins", as popularized by Kodak Black maybe?

Edited by BeardIP

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

image.png.6058b95da7e6d48920f8ba946e050b10.png

I didn't know that about either. I thought they said Prince had the flu. I can't remember if they said overdose with Tom Petty or heart attack or something.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I didn't know that about either. I thought they said Prince had the flu. I can't remember if they said overdose with Tom Petty or heart attack or something.

It's one of the reasons why I get particularly pissed off when I read or hear someone dismissing the victims as dumb addicts, or a form of low life.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/musics-fentanyl-crisis-inside-the-drug-that-killed-prince-and-tom-petty-666019/

Fuquan Johnson. Logan Williams (The Flash).

Michael K. Williams.

image.png.40b792acdf1beb456eb3b7c3f65ff975.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dealer-charged-actor-michael-k-williams-overdose-death-pleads-guilty-rcna78430

Edited by Chopper

We are victims of our own idiocy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/border-fentanyl-scanners-unused-congress-provided-no-money-rcna141432

Customs and Border Protection has spent millions on the most up-to-date high-tech scanners to spot fentanyl crossing the southern U.S. border, but many scanners are sitting in warehouses unused because Congress hasn’t appropriated funds to install them, acting CBP Commissioner Troy Miller told NBC News.

More than 95% of fentanyl seized at the border, Miller said, is actually brought into the U.S. in personal vehicles.

The new technology, known as Non-Intrusive Inspection, or NII, lets CBP X-ray a percentage of cars and trucks as they pass through the massive U-shaped screeners, which look something like car washes. Drivers don’t have to get out of their vehicles to be screened, which means traffic can keep flowing through border checkpoints with fewer interruptions. 

But some of the equipment that has been purchased hasn’t yet been put into use, because Congress hasn’t allocated the funding needed to install it. The money to install the screeners was in the supplemental funding request Republicans blocked.

“We do have technology that’s in the warehouse that has been tested. But we need approximately $300 million [to] actually put the technology in the ground,” Miller said. “It’s extremely frustrating.”

• Rage+1 1