2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

This tweet is funny for the reasons mentioned - 50/50 shot at being right if made up, sourcing The Athletic when they haven’t published anything, “unaffiliated Big 12 reporter,” etc.

But an underrated nonsensical aspect is the “play and awareness was the deciding factor” bit. Oh, so the decision on who was the better QB was based on who played the position better? Really? I thought the decision would’ve been made based on who looked better in uniform or who could shotgun a beer faster. Thanks for the “insight” there.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Oh, so the decision on who was the better QB was based on who played the position better? Really? I thought the decision would’ve been made based on who looked better in uniform or who could shotgun a beer faster. Thanks for the “insight” there.

To be fair, if it was up to Surly...

Insider nuggets from Tuesday's practice

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Insider nuggets from Tuesday's practice

Chip Brown

Here are some nuggets from Tuesday's closed practice ...

As I reported in the Morning Brew, receiver Kelvontay Dixon is full-speed at practice after missing a week with a sprained ankle. 

Hudson Card continued to get the first reps with the first-team offense, followed by Casey Thompson, in Tuesday’s practice.

When Casey Thompson worked with the second-team offense, it was usually against the first-team defense - something that also occurred during Saturday’s second scrimmage of fall camp.

When Card was with the first-team offense, it was usually against the second-team defense - something that also occurred during Saturday’s second scrimmage of fall camp.

Card had a deep-ball touchdown to Marcus Washington during seven-on-seven and hit Xavier Worthy and Joshua Moore through tight windows in red zone work.

Late in practice, Thompson was splitting second-team reps in 11-on-11 with freshman Charles Wright.

Super senior Tope Imade (6-6, 361) got some first-team reps at right guard (in place of Junior Angilau) in 11-on-11 late in practice Tuesday.

Prior to that, Imade was working with the second-team offensive line

When Imade got reps with the first-team, the second-team offensive line in 11-on-11 was: Isaiah Hookfin at left tackle, Tyler Johnson at left guard, Logan Parr at center, Hayden Conner at right guard and Andrej Karic at right tackle.

On defense, in 11-on-11 team work:

Jaylan Ford got reps with the first-team D at middle linebacker.

Jerrin Thompson got some first-team reps at safety alongside Brenden Schooler, with freshman JD Coffey getting reps at second-team safety along with Tyler Owens.

Ovie Oghoufo got some first-team reps at outside linebacker in team work.

Also, in 11-on-11 , cornerbacks Darion Dunn and Kitan Crawford got reps with the first-team defense as Josh Thompson and D'Shawn Jamison were given some periods off during practice.

The second-team corners in 11-on-11 late in Tuesday's practice were freshman Ishmael Ibraheem, who had an interception in Saturday’s scrimmage, and freshman Jamier Johnson.

Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo, continue to be the first-team nose and three-technique defensive tackles, respectively. On Tuesday, the second-team tackles were T’Vondre Sweat at nose with freshman Byron Murphy alternating with Sawyer Goram-Welch at the three-technique.

When the defense went to a three-man line, the first unit was Alfred Collins at end, Keondre Coburn at nose and Moro Ojomo at the other end.

The second-team, three-man line on defense was Murphy and Goram-Welch at end with Sweat at nose.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thats a ridiculous 3 man front.  Can't wait to see those 3 guys wreck shop against Louisiana.

that’s what I’ve been hoping to see all offseason, especially Ovie or Thornton at the Sam spot. Both have the athleticism to play off ball but can also add some pass rush along with the threat of Overshown blitzing. 

I think playing a 3-3 will be our best formation against a lot of B12 opponents, including OU. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thats a ridiculous 3 man front.  Can't wait to see those 3 guys wreck shop against Louisiana.

I  really hope they find ways to leave Collins on the field a lot.  Call the front whatever they want to ... make any changes required. 

Don't end the year regretting that they didn't give potentially their most impactful defensive playmaker enough opportunities.

(Don't pull a ... who was it? DJ Monroe?  Daje Johnson? Some offensive guy they could never seemingly get the ball to.)

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I  really hope they find ways to leave Collins on the field a lot.  Call the front whatever they want to ... make any changes required. 

Don't end the year regretting that they didn't give potentially their most impactful defensive playmaker enough opportunities.

(Don't pull a ... who was it? DJ Monroe?  Daje Johnson? Some offensive guy they could never seemingly get the ball to.)

Between Jack, DE in a 3 front, and backup 3 tech, he’s definitely going to get starter reps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Between Jack, DE in a 3 front, and backup 3 tech, he’s definitely going to get starter reps. 

Yep. Plus the fact that injuries can add up quick along the lines. In fact, through repping him in different spots, I'd say it's pretty clear they're making a point to find ways to get and keep him on the field while still taking advantage of overall unit depth.

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

DJ Monroe and Daje Johnson were the two most overrated players of the last 20 years.  Daje had 0 catches in the CFL because the coaches too just weren't smart enough to get him the ball I guess. Think DJ is a railroad conductor now or something. They didn't get the ball because they weren't good enough

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

DJ Monroe and Daje Johnson were the two most overrated players of the last 20 years.  Daje had 0 catches in the CFL because the coaches too just weren't smart enough to get him the ball I guess. Think DJ is a railroad conductor now or something. They didn't get the ball because they weren't good enough

Someone finally said it. That narrative has annoyed me for years.

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I don’t know man, there are plenty college kids that don’t hack it in the next level. Romance Taylor did pretty well for us in college and he arguably had a similar skill set as those two kids

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

5 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Someone finally said it. That narrative has annoyed me for years.

Wait until you guys see what Christian Scott is capable of when unleashed. And sources close to the program tell me Cody Johnson/Joe Bergeron looks like a poor man’s Ricky Williams. DeSean Hales is also really turning heads. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t know man, there are plenty college kids that don’t hack it in the next level. Romance Taylor did pretty well for us in college and he arguably had a similar skill set as those two kids

Are we just pretending like off field issues don’t matter? 🤷🏻‍♂️