2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, and it is too early to be a real concern, but the weather folk are looking closely at a weather system brewing in the Caribbean that could develop into something in the gulf next week, and it’s currently tracking into Louisiana. Again, could be nothing, just giving a heads up for the weather nerds. Only mentioning because Lafayette would be affected if one of the models played out. 

Now back to the Greg Davis talk...

I see that.  Joe Bastardi, who is one of the best hurricane forecasters around, is predicting this likely to make landfall at peak intensity.   The spaghetti models have it making landfall about 5 days from now.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#99L

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ok, I got it!  Finally made sense out of the rumors!  We go full Jumbo with RoJo at Wildcat!  Bijan at Center, go through shifts until in the Center Eligible formation from the MASH movie!  RoJo hands back the snap which Bijan hides in his jersey.  All the Goners chase RoJo while Bijan scores!!

we wins, everyone gits drunk and it’s TittyTown USA!

got me a second case of El Destilador Reposado so we gots KoolAid!!

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I wouldn't say he has no shot. Mac Jones didn't play for years then had one great season, even with the best talent in the NCAA around him, and was a first round pick. 

Matt Cassel never started a game for Sark and made over $100MM in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

He got no run for the NFL. He didn’t have baggage like Daje or Ramonce. Shipley was what a 3rd rounder. We tried that shovel pass to DJ I believe.

If Saban said it pregame, you and Greg got played. As if to say, run that. We’ll be ready. If he said it post game, he was just being courteous. Or jacking with Mack and Greg.

We don’t really know what DJ was. He didn’t even play enough to whether he was good. The best OCs probably could have found a viable use for him. Certainly another guy who Greg left you thinking what if.

Getting run in the NFL might mean something if I had alleged he was an NFL player. I said he wasn’t even a poor man’s Goodwin. But he wasn’t trash, and plenty of college talents get no time at all in the league if they don’t fit squarely into most GM’s size and weight specifications or skill set for a position.

Alabama was so ready for the shovel pass to Monroe, which was about the only play we gave him because god knows GD couldn’t be bothered to build off of it, that they limited Monroe to a 10 yard carry being stopped at their 1, and a 28 yard carry several drives later in the offensive implosion. Without looking I would suspect that Monroe had 1 of the perhaps 3 or 4 total explosive plays on the night by UT. Running the only play he ran. Against a defense that knew that. He nearly scored the other time.

Saban correctly identified him as our most dangerous player. Our offense was fairly limp dicked that year once it was basically Colt and Jordan playing back yard ball while Greg Davis just relied on his 08 offense despite losing his NFL 3rd down back, and NFL oldest rookie receiver in Cosby. Every defense with a pulse made us look bad.

We don’t know how good or bad Monroe could have been, because our staff didn’t have the grey matter to find ways to get him the ball. I’m sure he earned some of that neglect in practice, but to say he was terrible is asinine. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Inconsequential practice report from IT:

Spoiler

There’s been a non-Covid virus making its way around the state that found its way into the locker room. The last two days consisted of full pads but a number of players were held out. Names aren’t important. The good thing is it hit this week rather than next.

Wide receiver Jordan Whittington has been dressing out but not practicing. Wide receiver Troy Omeire hasn’t been dressing out. Wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon has re-aggravated a lingering ankle issue.

The staff is working on getting these guys with minor issues healthy before the first game because “the injuries they enter the season with often stick with them so they need to be right from the start,” said one source.

The practice schedule has switched from camp mode to season. That means less 1v1 and more first team versus scout team, as the scout team simulates the upcoming opponent.

We’ve heard of no interesting depth chart developments, outside of some guys playing well yesterday in the absence of others. Cornerbacks Darion Dunn and Ishmael Ibraheem were mentioned.

While we haven’t heard anything interesting regarding the depth chart, it still isn’t set in stone. IT readers should have a good handle on the starters and even the two-deep at most positions. We’ll go over that in the coming days

The mock game should provide clarity on the quarterback situation, but signs continue to point towards Hudson Card edging out Casey Thompson.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hide contents

There’s been a non-Covid virus making its way around the state that found its way into the locker room. The last two days consisted of full pads but a number of players were held out. Names aren’t important. The good thing is it hit this week rather than next.

Wide receiver Jordan Whittington has been dressing out but not practicing. Wide receiver Troy Omeire hasn’t been dressing out. Wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon has re-aggravated a lingering ankle issue.

The staff is working on getting these guys with minor issues healthy before the first game because “the injuries they enter the season with often stick with them so they need to be right from the start,” said one source.

The practice schedule has switched from camp mode to season. That means less 1v1 and more first team versus scout team, as the scout team simulates the upcoming opponent.

We’ve heard of no interesting depth chart developments, outside of some guys playing well yesterday in the absence of others. Cornerbacks Darion Dunn and Ishmael Ibraheem were mentioned.

While we haven’t heard anything interesting regarding the depth chart, it still isn’t set in stone. IT readers should have a good handle on the starters and even the two-deep at most positions. We’ll go over that in the coming days

The mock game should provide clarity on the quarterback situation, but signs continue to point towards Hudson Card edging out Casey Thompson.

So Dixon's ankle is hurt again? How unlucky are we... Who the fuck voodoo cursed our WR corp?

Edited by westexhorn

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

If he is behind Card this year, he probably has almost no chance of making it in the NFL. So, he should do what he wants to do - Personally, I would focus on academics if I was in his shoes. But, if his dream is to start in college, I think he would start at an option school. Other schools probably wouldn't want to rest their season solely on his shoulders so he would have to compete for the position just like at Texas. But, we are most certainly jumping the gun and I am fairly confident that he will see the field a decent amount this year and may start.

Maybe. If Thompson is behind Card this year, it's because Sark wants Card for Texas and it has almost nothing to do with Casey's fit for a team in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

Or maybe CU were Shell shocked after having spent weeks preparing for Bam Bam Sam to suddenly have to defend against Casey.

So we're going to start Hudson so OU scouts him and then BAM hit em with one of their own sons in a dramatic surprise. 11 win season into Sugar Bowl domination. Put it on the fucking stadium.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hide contents

Time to guess which players have the shits (sounds like it's the DBs) and which ones are just made of glass

33 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Alabama was so ready for the shovel pass to Monroe

What I recall seeing was the LG missed his block on Marcel(?) and let him inside, Squints had a little accuracy problem with a two-yard pass, Monroe tipped it up in the air instead of knocking it down... other than those little problems, it was a Good Call™ - there was nothing between DJ and the end zone but 70 or so yards of grass. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just a wide variety, a veritable cornucopia of fucking stupid on this page.  Everyone here take a bow. I'll be praying that when you do a mule magically appears to kick all of you in the head. 

Checks notes... Yep I posted on this page... gets a sad and slinks back off to the Astros thread.  

• Haha 1

Pretty sure it's part of every coach's 10-win formula.

We want the 15-win formula (you know, “All Gas”). Designing risk-averse offenses will give you 10 wins when you enjoy overwhelming talent advantages. Then Mike Stoops eats his boogers and knocks the crap out of your receivers.

38 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

So Dixon's ankle is hurt again? How unlucky are we... Who the fuck voodoo cursed our WR corp?

I thought that Dixon had/has a high ankle sprain. 

If so, those take months to get better. A player can say that they’re okay to play, but they won’t be healed until months after the season. “Re-aggravating” it is expected, but there is always hope that someone is the lucky one who doesn’t re-aggravate it.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is not directed at you, but I don’t get the general hate / shit talking about Money.  Former QB who has shown athletic ability and understanding of the game. Everything I’ve read and seen tells me he’s reliable, runs decent routes and has good hands. Even has a little wiggle after the catch.  If the guy can fly under the radar, catch a few passes to keep drives alive and help move the chains, what’s not to like?  He fills a needed role.  Whatever. To each his own I suppose.  I know I’ll be cheering him on  when he’s making plays this season. 

I’m in this camp. I don’t care if the fucker looks like Chris Hall running across the middle as long as he can get open and catch the ball. We’ve had plenty of guys come through here with pedigree the past decade who can’t seem to pull those two things off. Here’s to Kai Money getting a 100 yds and long fisting that fucking team of coonasses next Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

This is not directed at you, but I don’t get the general hate / shit talking about Money.  Former QB who has shown athletic ability and understanding of the game. Everything I’ve read and seen tells me he’s reliable, runs decent routes and has good hands. Even has a little wiggle after the catch.  If the guy can fly under the radar, catch a few passes to keep drives alive and help move the chains, what’s not to like?  He fills a needed role.  Whatever. To each his own I suppose.  I know I’ll be cheering him on  when he’s making plays this season. 

All of this...and he's not named "Tarik Black"

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I don't take any of the "hate" on Money to be hate. He's a meme. Short dude without any stand out athletic traits, his name is fucking MONEY, and he's made plays out of nowhere as a walk on when our other "star" players hadn't. I love it when Money gets the ball, it's hilarious to me, and it's fun to shout his name at the TV and laugh that he just shook some dude or converted a third down or made an impressive catch because he's a "nobody" on the field at fucking Texas and doing good things. It's all love for $$$$

Getting run in the NFL might mean something if I had alleged he was an NFL player. I said he wasn’t even a poor man’s Goodwin. But he wasn’t trash, and plenty of college talents get no time at all in the league if they don’t fit squarely into most GM’s size and weight specifications or skill set for a position.
Alabama was so ready for the shovel pass to Monroe, which was about the only play we gave him because god knows GD couldn’t be bothered to build off of it, that they limited Monroe to a 10 yard carry being stopped at their 1, and a 28 yard carry several drives later in the offensive implosion. Without looking I would suspect that Monroe had 1 of the perhaps 3 or 4 total explosive plays on the night by UT. Running the only play he ran. Against a defense that knew that. He nearly scored the other time.
Saban correctly identified him as our most dangerous player. Our offense was fairly limp dicked that year once it was basically Colt and Jordan playing back yard ball while Greg Davis just relied on his 08 offense despite losing his NFL 3rd down back, and NFL oldest rookie receiver in Cosby. Every defense with a pulse made us look bad.
We don’t know how good or bad Monroe could have been, because our staff didn’t have the grey matter to find ways to get him the ball. I’m sure he earned some of that neglect in practice, but to say he was terrible is asinine. 

I’m mostly there with you.

My point with the NFL is that the most explosive player on a national championship game team always gets an opportunity in the NFL even those that don’t fit the profile. My guess is that he had stones for hands. NFL guys typically can overlook lack of college production if the player fits their narrative. He wasn’t going to be a ball carrier. He was small. So maybe he’s that one guy.

Monroe was underutilized, but his utility was likely getting the ball in his hands around the line of scrimmage/3rd down back. But if he can’t catch, he can’t be the 3rd down. And for me, like others, that is down the list of things that Greg did poorly. But again, we don’t truly know what he was capable of doing either.

Shipley was an explosive player. M. Williams was too. Our RBs certainly were not. There’s Goodwin as well. I don’t remember the Saban comment. It just threw me off since he never did much exploding.

Btw, I’m on record as saying the shovel pass was dumb not because of Monroe but because we ran it in a similar situation versus Nebraska, which undoubtedly Bama spent a ton of time reviewing that film. But if you throw their thoughts on Monroe and backup QB playing into the equation, that’s even worse than I thought.

After this I did look up his numbers, they definitely say more touches were warranted. Averaged over 7 yards per rush. 3 kick return TDs. Only 14 catches, with none his first two years. It probably does need to move up my list of wtf Greg.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m mostly there with you.

My point with the NFL is that the most explosive player on a national championship game team always gets an opportunity in the NFL even those that don’t fit the profile. My guess is that he had stones for hands. NFL guys typically can overlook lack of college production if the player fits their narrative. He wasn’t going to be a ball carrier. He was small. So maybe he’s that one guy.

Monroe was underutilized, but his utility was likely getting the ball in his hands around the line of scrimmage/3rd down back. But if he can’t catch, he can’t be the 3rd down. And for me, like others, that is down the list of things that Greg did poorly. But again, we don’t truly know what he was capable of doing either.

Shipley was an explosive player. M. Williams was too. Our RBs certainly were not. There’s Goodwin as well. I don’t remember the Saban comment. It just threw me off since he never did much exploding.

Btw, I’m on record as saying the shovel pass was dumb not because of Monroe but because we ran it in a similar situation versus Nebraska, which undoubtedly Bama spent a ton of time reviewing that film. But if you throw their thoughts on Monroe and backup QB playing into the equation, that’s even worse than I thought.

After this I did look up his numbers, they definitely say more touches were warranted. Averaged over 7 yards per rush. 3 kick return TDs. Only 14 catches, with none his first two years. It probably does need to move up my list of wtf Greg.

I did a poor job of naming the play. The ones I’m referring to are those end around looking play where the QB tosses the ball forward so it’s a pass and a failure at the mesh is an incomplete and not a fumble. 

The Shovel or Utah pass you and another are referring to is the disastrous call to end the half. 

I suspect Monroe had poor hands and or ran poor routes. I also suspect someone like Steve Sarkisian would have been scheming free releases for him at the LOS and making defenders chase home across the field dodging other crossers. He as dangerous with the ball in his hands. 

But, we had the Greg Davis offensive ideal instead where Tony Jeffery reverses, and Brett Robin screens were things. We either announced the play with personnel or with down/distance/alignment as surely as if we sent Monroe into the game with a cue card that read “I’m getting the ball on a slot sweep!”.

• Like 1