Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

Exit strategy for US passport holders and visa holders I think has now closed completely. I don't have a clue as to how those Americans in Afghanistan will now exfil from the country. USSOCOM is doing a brilliant job of rescuing high value assets one at a time from Kabul. Some of the things I have read are beyond brave in attempts to save one American life.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Of the 1500 +/- Americans still there, where are they primarily?   Hotels?  Other?

Blinken yesterday said they honestly don't know where at least 1,000 of them are. Haven't been able to locate them:

"He said officials have had a difficult time tracking down the other estimated 1,000 American citizens who might still be in the country."

He didn't specify where the other 500 are but most of them seem to be in or near Kabul.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Exit strategy for US passport holders and visa holders I think has now closed completely. I don't have a clue as to how those Americans in Afghanistan will now exfil from the country. USSOCOM is doing a brilliant job of rescuing high value assets one at a time from Kabul. Some of the things I have read are beyond brave in attempts to save one American life.

Can you post the sites you're reading? Thanks in advance. 

32 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Exit strategy for US passport holders and visa holders I think has now closed completely. I don't have a clue as to how those Americans in Afghanistan will now exfil from the country. USSOCOM is doing a brilliant job of rescuing high value assets one at a time from Kabul. [B]Some of the things I have read (/B]are beyond brave in attempts to save one American life.

You got a link?

So damn sad. Sorry I have been a bit silent, but needed to walk away for a bit. Hearing from people in Kabul +50 dead and rumors of more attacks coming. 

My interpreter just sent me video of the scene right after the bombing. His cousin (worked for the UK) was at the airport. Damn folks. I have no words. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

BBC reporting multiple attacks across Kabul. ISIS wanting to prove they are a player. 

Macron and Merkel stating they will work with the Taliban to continue to get people out after the withdrawal. 

I'm seeing a lot of unconfirmed reports of additional explosions around the city, but nothing yet from any major outlets (e.g., I haven't seen the BBC reports).

For example, here's one that just popped up.

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

Can you post the sites you're reading? Thanks in advance. 

I can't post the links as they are for private message boards for veterans that can only be accessed through vetting.

Liberty Crossing has QRF's working to pull out as many Americans and allies as possible. Some of the dang-est bravest things I have ever heard about.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm seeing a lot of unconfirmed reports of additional explosions around the city, but nothing yet from any major outlets (e.g., I haven't seen the BBC reports).

For example, here's one that just popped up.

Yeah, shit is going down across the city. HKIA will get the bulk of coverage. Will be interesting to see how the Taliban, as the government, react to an insurgency. 

Meanwhile, they have not taken the Pansjhir Valley back. Just spoke with a friend in Parwan. 

A former Army Ranger on GMA this morning who got out just before the attack said outside the gate was like a family mosh pit six or seven hundred meters long and that he saw people who had the proper paperwork to leave turned away.

Edit: was about ten minutes into the broadcast if anyone wants to look the interview up.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

My good friend has a connection with a guy over there who said it is a disaster. In reality they have lost touch with so many Americans we have no idea how many actually are there, dead, hiding, etc. Starting to helicopter Americans they can find out of the city into the desert where they can land aircraft.

Got a call from Kellie, she is a little more than just a neighbor, she is my wife's best friend. So Mrs. CHIEF has been her shoulder to cry on, encourager, optimist, and ledge guard. Her son is uninjured and ok, that's all we know. Don't know about anyone else in his unit. His mom is relieved but, of course, can't sleep and is glued to the TV.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Talked to my son today, he was at Camp Taji when it closed/was handed over last year; and his comment is that no matter what you read or hear it is 10x worse on the ground. Rules of engagement limit troops ability to respond. And that went reasonably well - says he can't imagine being in Afghanistan, and he expects that it will likely get worse as the time ticks down. 

I didn't want to ask too much, since I sensed he was not comfortable talking about any of this. Reach out to those you can - and thank them for their service.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Serious question on my part. I'm following the military stuff but not the geopolitical stuff as much. It sounds like the Taliban is going to install what they feel is a legitimate government. Is ISIS an enemy to that regime? Will they keep bombing stuff when the Americans are gone? Will this be a legit civil war between the Taliban government and ISIS? I'm not sure what the line is between government and terrorism and which factions are similar and which are in conflict.

About 450 refugees arrived overnight in Spain.  They heard the explosions in Kabul before they departed. One of the younger boys received treatment upon arrival from being hit in the head with rocks thrown into the crowd as they awaited boarding.

Son said they are just so happy to be received into a safe area.  Says the feelings of humanity and good will are pretty overwhelming for everyone involved. 

54 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Serious question on my part. I'm following the military stuff but not the geopolitical stuff as much. It sounds like the Taliban is going to install what they feel is a legitimate government. Is ISIS an enemy to that regime? Will they keep bombing stuff when the Americans are gone? Will this be a legit civil war between the Taliban government and ISIS? I'm not sure what the line is between government and terrorism and which factions are similar and which are in conflict.

They are not friends and I expect the attacks will continue. They both want to be the legitimate government. Whereas the Talib's focus on Afghanistan as we know it, ISIS-K wants to create a larger caliphate which would include parts of Iran, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. 

ISIS has not only attacked the US or former Afghan government. They have attacked a few civilian targets in Kabul. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Yes, yes and yes. 

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Got a call from Kellie, she is a little more than just a neighbor, she is my wife's best friend. So Mrs. CHIEF has been her shoulder to cry on, encourager, optimist, and ledge guard. Her son is uninjured and ok, that's all we know. Don't know about anyone else in his unit. His mom is relieved but, of course, can't sleep and is glued to the TV.

CHIEF

Thanks for that update, Chief.  Had a bit of a prayer for him last night, and for the 13 families who got some horrible news.  Let Kellie know that a lot of folks she doesn't know are fiercely gripping tight to her son, and want him home safe and in her arms ASAP.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

That is wonderful news.  

1 hour ago, SurlyGator said:

Hospital corpsmen (medics) imbedded with Marine units are Navy.

This. The Marine Corps has no medical personnel.  Corpsmen are badasses. One if the servicemen depicted in the Okinawa Mt Suribachi flag raising was a Corpsman.  Semper Fidelis. 

drone strikes on isis in afghanistan:

U.S. forces carried out a drone strike on an Islamic State target in eastern Afghanistan on Friday, one day after the group claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed more than 170 people, including 13 U.S. service members.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/27/afghanistan-kabul-taliban-live-updates/?itid=hp_live-ticker_1#link-YML4N4ZOKVGRDIB7E4P5FIDTC4

4 hours ago, TechTech said:

behind a paywall titfuck

Here ya go. 

(CNN)The US military carried out a drone strike against what it said was an ISIS-K planner in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province, amid warnings of possible further terror attacks targeting the last-ditch US evacuation effort from Kabul.

The desperate mission to airlift US citizens and Afghans who assisted US forces and officials from the country by the end of the month is now in its final phase.
The drone strike in Nangarhar came a day after US President Joe Biden vowed to retaliate for a terrorist attack Thursday that killed 13 US service members and at least 170 others outside Kabul's international airport.
The man targeted in the drone strike was believed to be "associated with potential future attacks at the airport," a US defense official told CNN Saturday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/28/asia/afghanistan-us-airstrike-evacuation-mission-intl/index.html