Game Week- Louisiana

Wulaw Horn

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I'm going to go ahead and say that whatever some dumbfuck on satellite radio said about the game has exactly nothing to do with the reasons we need to win the game.

It portrays the view of the program right now in general is the point.  He brought up the ranked 7th in the conference in win percentage since 2011, need a strong season overall before going to the SEC. 

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It portrays the view of the program right now in general is the point.  He brought up the ranked 7th in the conference in win percentage since 2011, need a strong season overall before going to   the SEC. 

Shocked that this would come from Rick Neuheisel.  The guy who used the 1966 Tower shootings against us in recruiting during the 90's.  Fuck that weasel.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It portrays the view of the program right now in general is the point.  He brought up the ranked 7th in the conference in win percentage since 2011, need a strong season overall before going to the SEC. 

yeah, I agree with your point. Winning this game and Arky is very important for perception and recruiting. If we lose, all the headlines and talk will be about how we paid $1.5 million to lose to ULL, it’s the same old Texas, and Seven Win Steve will start getting used again. We need to win the Arky game badly too since we’re headed to the SEC. it would not be a good look to lose to the last place team in the SEC West. 

Plus, if we start 2-0, then we should be 4-0 by October, which would probably be good enough to put us in the top 10 heading into TCU and OU.  This program could really use some positive momentum after the last ten years and we need a jolt in recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 5

LuLa is well coached and has some athletes with experience. It's going to be a thousand degrees on the field. They're used to SW La. heat, but they don't have the depth we do. We've got maybe the best running back in CFB and he's backed up by a pretty deep RB roster. At worst, we grind them down, at best, they have to send secondary to stop the grind and one or both of our QBs make that costly. This is all dependent on competent OL play. Doesn't have to spectacular, just competent. I also think if we can get a little pressure, our CBs will have a big day. Win by 17. All of LHN goes completely, fucking crazy. Statues are discussed.

Spoiler

Within the program, confidence is high, but not overly so. Texas has a lot of respect for Louisiana. 

The team sounds locked in and focused, and that showed in Thursday’s “good” practice, probably more so than earlier in the week. Tuesday’s practice might have been a little slow, but things picked up Wednesday with guys flying around despite the heat.

When asked what defines a good practice, one source said, ”intensity, focus, and very few mental errors or mistakes in any phases of the game.”

The defense is still getting the better of the offense but the offense is getting a better push than it was just a few weeks ago. They went good on good quite a bit this week, albeit at thud tempo.

Tackling was emphasized this week even if it was all thud tempo. There was a lot of emphasis on breaking down. The most respected ball carrier is the quarterback, Levi Lewis. “There’s definitely awareness for what he can do with his legs.”

We’re expecting the defense to play equal parts of base and nickel, depending on game situation. Expect a fairly vanilla game plan on defense that will be dialed up in-game as needed.

Sark sort of gives the game away with All Gas, No Brakes. We don’t know how vanilla the game plan will be, but we’ll see them take shots once the run game gets going.

IT asked a source, what does UT need to do to have a good season? “They can’t let up when they get up by a couple scores. Need to have a killer instinct and to establish team identity around it. Come out and get on top of teams early and keep it up. This team has gotten lax in the past, like versus OU when Dicker had to save the day. There are a lot of other examples too. They have to come out of halftime with the same energy and urgency they start the game and put teams away.”

The source said if UT has a disappointing year, they didn’t do the above enough.

There is a feeling the team is continually progressing and will be much better in a few weeks. Tomorrow we’ll find out if the starting point was good enough.

Injuries: 

WR Troy Omeire won’t play. WR Kelvontay Dixon will be available. Receivers we’ll see the most are Joshua Moore, Jordan Whittington, XavierWorthy, Marcus Washington, and Al’Vonte Woodard.

There is one starter we’re not expecting to play, but we won’t mention who until right before the game. 

Team portion of humidor. There is a cryptic note at the end about a starter who’s not expected to play. 

34 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

LuLa is well coached and has some athletes with experience. It's going to be a thousand degrees on the field. They're used to SW La. heat, but they don't have the depth we do. We've got maybe the best running back in CFB and he's backed up by a pretty deep RB roster. At worst, we grind them down, at best, they have to send secondary to stop the grind and one or both of our QBs make that costly. This is all dependent on competent OL play. Doesn't have to spectacular, just competent. I also think if we can get a little pressure, our CBs will have a big day. Win by 17. All of LHN goes completely, fucking crazy. Statues are discussed.

God, I hate this so so much. Heat.... plays almost zero role in the outcome of games. It didn't seem to help us when we played Maryland at home mid-day to open the season a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

God, I hate this so so much. Heat.... plays almost zero role in the outcome of games. It didn't seem to help us when we played Maryland at home mid-day to open the season a few years ago.

This is interesting, I'm sure some stat nerds have done some breakdown on whether the "deeper" team is usually significantly better down the stretch on extremely hot days. One example doesn't mean anything and technically we did outscore them in the 2nd half. 

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Herman’s coaching negated any advantage the Texas heat might have given us.

And this. Who gives a shit what the temperature is when you have Garrett Gray as your starting TE.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Of course everyone is picking against the Horns. We knew that was going to happen all summer. It’s an easy, lazy pick…good G5 team with lots of starters back against underachieving blue blood that most fans dislike. That’s literally the extent of the analysis that went into these “predictions.”

What's lazy is assuming it'll be an easy victory because you've been imbibing the usual off-season Kool-Aid for the last several months. We still have a suspect back 7, a freshman starting at QB, and no proven offensive weapons other than Bijan Robinson. Not to mention an O-line with uncertain pass protection capabilities. None of that's changed just because the $9.95-er reports spent weeks gushing over everyone.

It'll be a low-scoring game and our defense will have to make some big plays.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Add heat to dealing with an opponent's ability to switchout high quality DL and you've got a formula for a team getting worn down. I've seen us beat teams that were good but couldn't stand up to the depth of talent we had on a hot day.

You may think that one time at band camp playing Md in TMS negates that, but it's a pretty thin bit of evidence.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

What's lazy is assuming it'll be an easy victory because you've been imbibing the usual off-season Kool-Aid for the last several months. We still have a suspect back 7, a freshman starting at QB, and no proven offensive weapons other than Bijan Robinson. Not to mention an O-line with uncertain pass protection capabilities. None of that's changed just because the $9.95-er reports spent weeks gushing over everyone.

The OLine isn’t as big of a question mark as you are stating. If anything, with the way the roster is laid out right now, pass protection being a weakness isn’t all that bad. If Bijan isn’t getting the ball 20-25 times a game then something has gone really really wrong. It’s much easier to scheme around poor pass protection than it is a group that can’t get a push up front.

This Louisiana team is getting a lot of play because Iowa State shit down their leg. Who knows what is going to happen tomorrow but it will be very surprising if Texas doesn’t ultimately win by 2 touchdowns tomorrow.

For me personally, the Arkansas game will be the first checkpoint to see if this team has grown up and turned a little corner. I would imagine most kids if not every player on Texas roster has no idea just how deep that hate runs for Texas in Arkansas. That place will be fairly hostile and will probably be the most hostile environment they play in all year excluding the  RRR which is 50/50.

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, if the talking heads were blathering about how Texas will win easily simply because they’re Texas, that would also be lazy. But that’s not what any of them seems to be saying. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This point about Texas paying them to play…do these goddamn imbeciles realize that we pay teams to play in Austin because we net a significant profit by hosting the game? Fair to criticize Texas for their recent play but this angle is kind of stupid and doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Has anyone seen their stadium? We ain't playing there. Just a shade over 41,000 capacity. That Town can't handle someone like Texas coming to town. There is a reason we are paying them, Both teams make way more money.

Edited by Longhornlove

45 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Within the program, confidence is high, but not overly so. Texas has a lot of respect for Louisiana. 

The team sounds locked in and focused, and that showed in Thursday’s “good” practice, probably more so than earlier in the week. Tuesday’s practice might have been a little slow, but things picked up Wednesday with guys flying around despite the heat.

When asked what defines a good practice, one source said, ”intensity, focus, and very few mental errors or mistakes in any phases of the game.”

The defense is still getting the better of the offense but the offense is getting a better push than it was just a few weeks ago. They went good on good quite a bit this week, albeit at thud tempo.

Tackling was emphasized this week even if it was all thud tempo. There was a lot of emphasis on breaking down. The most respected ball carrier is the quarterback, Levi Lewis. “There’s definitely awareness for what he can do with his legs.”

We’re expecting the defense to play equal parts of base and nickel, depending on game situation. Expect a fairly vanilla game plan on defense that will be dialed up in-game as needed.

Sark sort of gives the game away with All Gas, No Brakes. We don’t know how vanilla the game plan will be, but we’ll see them take shots once the run game gets going.

IT asked a source, what does UT need to do to have a good season? “They can’t let up when they get up by a couple scores. Need to have a killer instinct and to establish team identity around it. Come out and get on top of teams early and keep it up. This team has gotten lax in the past, like versus OU when Dicker had to save the day. There are a lot of other examples too. They have to come out of halftime with the same energy and urgency they start the game and put teams away.”

The source said if UT has a disappointing year, they didn’t do the above enough.

There is a feeling the team is continually progressing and will be much better in a few weeks. Tomorrow we’ll find out if the starting point was good enough.

Injuries: 

WR Troy Omeire won’t play. WR Kelvontay Dixon will be available. Receivers we’ll see the most are Joshua Moore, Jordan Whittington, XavierWorthy, Marcus Washington, and Al’Vonte Woodard.

There is one starter we’re not expecting to play, but we won’t mention who until right before the game. 

Team portion of humidor. There is a cryptic note at the end about a starter who’s not expected to play. 

Someone on 247 posted that it's a WR and the moderators took it down. So, that sucks.

• Rage+1 3

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

IT says a starter is out, but they won't spill it until right before the game. 

Even with an almost injury free camp we still have something come up.  Has the poster on IT who made all the posts about practice and who was running QB1, ect. said who it may be?

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mmmm. This is the good stuff. 

tears.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Even with an almost injury free camp we still have something come up.  Has the poster on IT who made all the posts about practice and who was running QB1, ect. said who it may be?

I think if he did they would take it down.  I'm just going to assume it Whittington and that his hamstring needs another week.

We're going 32 personnel.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

Napier is getting a lot of attention, but Coastal Carolina seems to be the better team. Their coach has only been there two years so I'll be curious to see how he does for another year or two. ULL outperformed CCU against common opponents one time (Southern Alabama), and lost to CCU head to head. CCU dominated most of the teams they played. 

Georgia St: ULL won by 3, CCU won by 51

Texas St: ULL won by 10, CCU by 35

Arkansas St: ULL won by 7, CCU by 22

South Alabama: ULL won by 28, CCU by 17

Georgia Southern: ULL won by 2, CCU by 14

Appalachian St: ULL won by 3, CCU by 11

7 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Doesn't every P5 team pay G5 teams so they don't have to do a home and home?

Except of course aggy, they play teams that only cost tree fiddy

Yes.  But I'm not a fan of saying anyone pays anyone.  They are sharing revenue from the one game because both teams would lose out on money playing at the G5 stadium.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is it a WR though?  This is from the same article.

Receivers we’ll see the most are Joshua Moore, Jordan Whittington, XavierWorthy, Marcus Washington, and Al’Vonte Woodard.

Right, they say all the starting receivers will play, but a starting receiver is nevertheless out? Maybe Brewer?? Otherwise something doesn't add up.

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Everybody say it with me: FUCK CHIP BROWN

On today's episode of "Chip Brown is a fucking moron," Chip's feature story of the day is about Brock Purdy and Iowa State being successful if Purdy can "get out of his own head."

Yes, on the day before the season opener, featuring a new coach, an upgraded stadium, a move to the SEC on the horizon, and a multitude of other compelling topics to write about, FCB releases an article pimping conference foes.

Now, to make you smile:

It got down-voted into oblivion - literally. The reception was so bad that Brown took it/was forced to take it down.

Fuck_Chip_Brown_Skywriting.jpg

51 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Satya wins the lotto and immediately becomes enraged when thinking about the troubles of past winners.  Declines money and then posts on Surly we never win anything.  

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952814de9866ab70fa2e

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

You must be pretty old to remember that. 

In 1977, I watched Texas annihilate a decent Boston College team in September. Cambell was taken out in the first half, then every string we had just continued mauling BC. They didn't score.

Likely teams are better conditioned now, so maybe those days are indeed gone. I know I saw more than that one day.

Edit to add anecdote: I came to Texas the same year as Earl. High school off season back then was only just beginning to include weight training. There was an exclusive group of football players who had t-shirts made: 200lb Bench Press.

Impressive, no?

I was out of the game by then due to knee surgeries (performed with flint tools and twine), so I never weight trained. Sadly, I never go to try my might hurling up an unbelievable 200lbs.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think if he did they would take it down.  I'm just going to assume it Whittington and that his hamstring needs another week.

We're going 32 personnel.

Someone smarter than me noticed that Wiley’s arm was in a sling in the NIL pictures. Maybe he’s the one out?

I think our TE room might actually be more shallow with experience than the WR room since we will likely run so many 2 TE sets.

• Hook 'Em 1