Post-Game : We Won. They Lost. ULL is Ass

Hiphopopotamos

4 hours ago, LarTXHorn said:

One thing I'm not looking forward to is all the stupid Card puns from the announcers. Fucking Brando coming back from halftime, "Hudson He's got all the Cards" with a shiteating grin like he's so fucking clever. There was another one like playing with a full deck or some shit like that. You can tell the announcers are gonna be tripping over each other trying to come up with more Card analogies. 

Other than that, fuck yes! Felt great to get a win and start the season off right. 

can someone with a batphone to CDC let him know, that the next time we allow fox to assign brando to one of our games, a banner will fly over the stadium that says:

BRANDO SUX COCK

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, orangebird said:

It was quite refreshing to see a fairly disciplined and well-coached Texas team that, for once, mostly did not beat itself with stupid penalties, turnovers, and mental mistakes.

This is the biggest take away for me as well.  This right here will win us a couple of those close games we lost last year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

Card was excellent. I expected him to be a liability - someone who has promise but will make mistakes in game #1 - but he was solid.

Compare Card to the freshman agroid, who threw 3 interceptions against Kent Fucking State. Wow. Not SEC ready, that's for sure.

i was flipping over to agroid/flashers, and although they ran out big, the first half was bumblefuckery, and in the 3rd with the score still 13-3 the flashers were driving and looked like scoring before throwing an 85-yard pick-6, 20-3, game over

aggy did not look anywhere near as competent as we did against massively inferior opposition

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

At least two of the sacks were on play calls and not the oline.

If you call a naked bootleg play action right into a blitz, that's not on the line who are blocking the opposite direction. And I'd say one or two of the holds were on Card for holding the ball too long (the hold on the endzone heave to Whittington).

Not a great performance by the line, but not as disastrous as some imply.

9 hours ago, staboner said:

If I remember correctly, I believe "Bijan" is Siamese for "he who is pretzle when tackled" 

dude needs to learn how/when to get tackled and go down

He'd lost the ball and that changed everything from his movement to the pile of people stacking on top of him.

I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital after just watching him be folded full in half with his legs splayed. These are hard men playing that game down there. 

2 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I'm concerned with having lineman with friendly names like Christian.  Remember how well Huey, Snow & Flowers went?  Need more guys who have names that are essentially angry Cyrillic barking.

All Gaskamp brah

Card seems to excel at short to intermediate routes and throwing the ball over the middle.  Something we haven't been the best at.  Would like to see more touch from him (see Bijan TD catch).

Worthy had an absolutely filthy route.

On LHN, you could see Jamison walking around the field after the game with a smile.

Check out this scuttle butt route by Bijan:

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Did this staff overestimate the Oline talent?

Not that I saw, but this board certainly did. It was getting close to “Trust The Marine” level bull shit in the off-season thread. Okafor has been bad for 6 years. That isn’t changing. Christian Jones was a below average right tackle last year. Kyle Flood isn’t a fucking magician. Anyone surprised by offensive line, pass rush, or wide receiver struggles this year was mainlining 9.95 cocaine this offseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

Great game.  Card looked sharp. 
Most impressed with the 3rd down conversions.  Haven't seen that level of efficiency in awhile.

Sustained drives. Not giving up on the run game when it worked. Not giving up when it didn’t work.

Well managed game.

Bijan has Wolverine super powers or is related to Gumby, damnit.

A Tom Herman coached team could easily have lost that game yesterday. Good discipline, good tackling, solid play from the playmakers. We could have added a TD or two in the fourth quarter, but we saw a coach who also showed discipline. Winning that game was more important than risking a turnover or two trying to pile on. I like that Sark played Casey in the fourth. We should be strong at QB this year. Suspect the offense has plenty of room for growth, but yesterday they took baby steps as they learn this offense. Should be hitting on 7 cylinders by OU, could well be enough to pull off an upset.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Rewatching the game now and we are lucky Bijan did not get flagged for motion on the first TD.  He was not set at the snap.

Great play call, though.

He was the only one moving, so he didn’t need to be set. Just not moving forward.  Maybe you get a good bit of leeway on that since he had one foot down and was getting the other around to stop, but he was for sure moving and looked to be moving forward at the snap. 

Okafor has been on the team since Mack Browns 2010 squad and he still hadn’t figured it out. 

Hopefully the O line figures it out or someone’s gonna hurt 

D line I expected more pressure but ulala basically stopped them in their tracks. 

I hate the 10-12 yards off the ball the corners continue to give. They ran that 8 yard dump pass to the sideline about 30 times yesterday like clock work plus going like 10 for 10 on 4th downs.  I know we have some dudes in the secondary. I’d like to see them come up a bit 

Some time in the fourth quarter Jatavion Sanders had a massive pancake block but was (wrongfully) called as holding. Didn’t really matter though since we had two players called for holding on the same play. Loved the  physicality from Sanders.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He was the only one moving, so he didn’t need to be set. Just not moving forward.  Maybe you get a good bit of leeway on that since he had one foot down and was getting the other around to stop, but he was for sure moving and looked to be moving forward at the snap. 

Since he had been moving forward and not laterally, he HAS to be motionless at the snap.  And he definitely was not.

3 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I'm concerned with having lineman with friendly names like Christian.  Remember how well Huey, Snow & Flowers went?  Need more guys who have names that are essentially angry Cyrillic barking.

This is a great point. Half of the ability is in the name. I mean, Kasey Studdard? Sounds like he tosses hay bales and wrastles cattle all offseason. Justin Blalock? His last name is almost "block" for Christ's sake. More of that. 

13 minutes ago, Nope said:

Some time in the fourth quarter Jatavion Sanders had a massive pancake block but was (wrongfully) called as holding. Didn’t really matter though since we had two players called for holding on the same play. Loved the  physicality from Sanders.

Seems like we had a dozen holding calls and not a single one for Louisiana. 

With respect to Collins playing time.  IT thought that perhaps the coaches were sending him a message.

If that’s the case, and to be clear I’m far from simply accepting IT’s speculation that it is, I hope the coaches received the message that the pass rush is unsurprisingly pretty meh and not utilizing a talent such as Collins is not helpful.

Most simple explanation is a minor injury that they felt they could hold him out for except in case of emergency given interior depth.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Lyle, Kasey, Justin, Jonathan and Will beg to differ….

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a great point. Half of the ability is in the name. I mean, Kasey Studdard? Sounds like he tosses hay bales and wrastles cattle all offseason. Justin Blalock? His last name is almost "block" for Christ's sake. More of that. 

Where does “brockermeyer” stack up on the name rating?  😹

I DVR’d the game and need to watch it tonight, because Card didn’t seem as good from the stands as his stat line showed. A few overthrows and he looked like he had happy feet in the pocket. But no turnovers, and overall he had a solid game for his first start as a redshirt freshman, and I don’t think he gave the coaches a reason to re-evaluate the starting QB.

Agree 100 percent on watching Card live. He definitely has a long way to go in terms of pocket presence and command of the offense. Certainly showed flashes though, and I don’t remember any wtf type bad throws, though that TD to Brewer was actually pretty risky.

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32146907/college-football-power-rankings-week-1

Some dude from espn thinks we’ll be ranked 15 next week.  

The Sooners held on for a 40-35 victory and Rattler still looked like a Heisman front-runner

Incredible. I mean it's like clockwork.

And ISU at 11? 

Tonight Show Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Agree 100 percent on watching Card live. He definitely has a long way to go in terms of pocket presence and command of the offense. Certainly showed flashes though, and I don’t remember any wtf type bad throws, though that TD to Brewer was actually pretty risky.

I thought he played pretty good considering it was his first game an all.  But I’mcautiously optimistic 

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Did this staff overestimate the Oline talent?

No. They didn't call it the best OL they have ever had. There really is a dearth of OL talent in the room. They went with the guys with the most starts approach, and it didn't go well as expected. Angilau getting sucks, but at least it moves up the time table for the younger guys. Though I did find it interesting that it was Connor that got the call and not Imade or Johnson. Maybe Johnson is a left side guy only, and I knew the reports of Imade were not true. The dude is massive, strong, and works hard. He's apparently not a good football player which is ok. Get your education Tope.

The hope is either Flood gets it fixed with the veterans or realizes the youth movement needs to start. I was a little upset that there was no real substitution, but I also have to take into account that we had a freshmen QB and a freshmen C in a new scheme. It wasn't as bad as say aggy, who went with the same setup.

• Hook 'Em 1