The Book of Boba Fett- Disney+ show starting December 29

mdmost

I watched it again. My wife of course had to see Grogu. 

I think Grogu picks the chainmail. People would light themselves on fire if Baby Yoda is killed onscreen by Adam Driver. 

The Luke stuff is cool as hell, but Grogu could train with other Jedis. Ahsoka, maybe Ezra, and Leia (PLEASE GOD NO! gif). Yes I know, Cal Kestis and Cere Junda could theoretically be out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you've seen the Clone Wars or Rebels shows, Filoni constantly interweaves storylines or has stand alone stories for some of the characters similar to the past 2 episodes. This is no different except the name of the show changes to match the main protagonist. Mandalorian set the universe where Ahsoka was reintroduced (she'll get her own story later), it reintroduced Boba who now has his own storyline, it brought in Fennec Shand, it gave us Cobb Vance, it now has brought in Cad Bane. All of these characters are brought in to move towards a larger story like Clone Wars or Rebels.  It's cool that he's now doing that in his live action shows. So yes this should be called The Mandalorians with Din as the main character like Ezra was in Rebels. Mando is the glue of the series. I don't think they'd show Luke and Grogu if it didn't lead to Grogu returning to Mando. So many great things about this episode. Order 66 from Grogu's perspective including the mystery of who saved him which is probably another Filoni Clone Wars nod to a character no one has seen since that show. The nods to the OT and PT are great because it's not useless nostalgia. The deep fake technology is so good that you could have actual shows with Luke as the main character. It's what a lot of us always wanted to see. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched it again. My wife of course had to see Grogu. 

I think Grogu picks the chainmail. People would light themselves on fire if Baby Yoda is killed onscreen by Adam Driver. 

The Luke stuff is cool as hell, but Grogu could train with other Jedis. Ahsoka, maybe Ezra, and Leia (PLEASE GOD NO! gif). Yes I know, Cal Kestis and Cere Junda could theoretically be out there. 

I forgot about Quilan Vos. He's another Jedi that's still alive. 

First this series starts with scenes from Constable Bob's fever dreams, then this episode?
Just wow...

If only Cobb Vanth had fired a bolt into the sand and told that Pyke "next one's coming faster...." That would have given me a Marshall stiffy for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

How well they’ve done the Luke work makes me think in 10 years it’ll be possible for them to retcon a sequel trilogy.

There was a rumor a few years ago of someone pitching a D+ series of the original trilogy from the Empire's perspective. The main beats from the OG trilogy would be there but you wouldn't really get to know the Rebels. They'd just be more like a terrorist organization from the POV of the Empire. It never got any traction but it's an interesting concept IMO.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

How well they’ve done the Luke work makes me think in 10 years it’ll be possible for them to retcon a sequel trilogy.

Apparently Lucasfilm hired the guy who did the Luke deepfake videos that touched up the Mando s2 finale

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/lucasfilm-hires-deepfake-youtuber-mandalorian-skywalker-vfx-1234653720/

Pretty crazy what he was able to do just as a fan, I can't wait to see what else he's able to do with studio-quality assets

• Hook 'Em 3

Awesome episode.  Star Wars is the easiest thing to write for that it's amazing how badly they fucked up the movies.

Sure, have some new story lines but keep going back to the well.  Keep the feel of a western sci-fi.  Mark Hamill signed on?  Sweet.  Do some Luke Skywalker Jedi shit.  It's fucking awesome.

Star Wars fans want the greatest hits.  We're simple people.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Apparently Lucasfilm hired the guy who did the Luke deepfake videos that touched up the Mando s2 finale

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/lucasfilm-hires-deepfake-youtuber-mandalorian-skywalker-vfx-1234653720/

Pretty crazy what he was able to do just as a fan, I can't wait to see what else he's able to do with studio-quality assets

Leaves the door open for Leia to return, but Carrie Fisher won't be involved in any capacity for obvious reasons. I wouldn't really be a fan of that. 

Cobb Vance is Raylan Givens, Space Marshall and no one can convince me otherwise.

The lone figure walking up to the town was intense and amazing. Second shot I notice a flat brimmed hat and say "Is that Cad Bane?" next shot I can see he's blue and say "Holy shit that's Cad Bane!!". My wife is meanwhile "Who?"

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

Cobb Vance is Raylan Givens, Space Marshall and no one can convince me otherwise.

The lone figure walking up to the town was intense and amazing. Second shot I notice a flat brimmed hat and say "Is that Cad Bane?" next shot I can see he's blue and say "Holy shit that's Cad Bane!!". My wife is meanwhile "Who?"

LOL had almost the exact same reaction/interaction. :D

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Haha yeah totally.

(googles "Cad Bane")

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Episodes 1-3 of BOBF could have been condensed to 1 or 1.5 episodes, and save more time for shit like this. Here we are, eternally teased by not knowing what Ahsoka told Luke about his father, mother, Obi Wan, the various Sith, her encounters with Vader, or the events of Rebels. Or if Luke told her how Obi Wan died or what went down on Death Star 2. Glad we had 3+ episodes dedicated to Tusken culture and Boba dealing with local tavern owners and town mayors though!

This is why we can’t have nice things.  No patience.  

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

This is why we can’t have nice things.  No patience.  

No patience? We have one episode left? Then we get to wait 18 months for 7 more episodes! At least with Mando, they only wasted one episode of season 2. I don’t bitch a lot about filler in animated shows that adds some future call back content because there are a lot more episodes per season. Every episode of these short seasons of live action is precious to our inner fan boys as Mark Hammill grows another year closer to being unavailable. 

Yeah, that's a silly criticism. We, the audience, know all that about Ahsoka's dealings with those characters. We don't need Ahsoka telling that to Luke other than little bits and pieces like the show did with "so much like your father". I'm sure if Filoni deems something necessary from Ahsoka's past to be presented to Luke to help progress the storyline, he'll do so. And I quite enjoyed seeing Tusken culture as that at least treads some new ground in the SW universe and isn't just a visual restatement of something that's previously happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

No patience? We have one episode left? Then we get to wait 18 months for 7 more episodes!

Your statement isn't without a bit of irony given we had to wait 16 years for new Star Wars content from the end of Jedi. In this year alone, we're getting Boba, an Obi Wan limited series, and probably at least the start of season 3 of Mando. Not to mention more Bad Batch if you need more content. Next year, we'll get Ahsoka and the Cassian series. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

My first thought was Embo because of the hat at a distance and me being in the kitchen prepping dinner.  As soon as I saw the details of the hat it was all Cad Bane.   

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Awesome episode.  Star Wars is the easiest thing to write for that it's amazing how badly they fucked up the movies.

Sure, have some new story lines but keep going back to the well.  Keep the feel of a western sci-fi.  Mark Hamill signed on?  Sweet.  Do some Luke Skywalker Jedi shit.  It's fucking awesome.

Star Wars fans want the greatest hits.  We're simple people.

We accept new stuff all the time, it just has to make sense.  The Mandolorian is a new character with a new arc that was fleshed out of old material but never discussed (the fundamentalistic progression of the Death Watch).    We are also seeing a glimpse into the Empire's resistance methods, and the Republic's shift from a rebel force into a governing body trying to establish control and the opportunistic crime syndicates assert themselves.  

My kid shouldn't be mocking the bombers in outer space.  

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Your statement isn't without a bit of irony given we had to wait 16 years for new Star Wars content from the end of Jedi. In this year alone, we're getting Boba, an Obi Wan limited series, and probably at least the start of season 3 of Mando. Not to mention more Bad Batch if you need more content. Next year, we'll get Ahsoka and the Cassian series. 

NOT ENOUGH! (/Headhunter Chief from Nate and Hayes)

Mind.  Blown.  Just saw on IMDb that the actor playing the bartender in Mos Pelgo/Freetown is none other than W. Earl Brown aka Deadwood’s Dan Dority.   Should have had Ian McShane voice Cad Bane.  Judges would also have accepted Walt Goggins.  Would love to see a Star Wars  version of Boyd Crowder.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Same reaction here. As others have said, a Western quick draw scene involving Cad Bane and Sheriff Bullock/Raylan Givens was unexpected but so awesome. This episode was so brilliant. Just so much aawesomeness.

Scene with Mando leaving without seeing Grogu.

The Office Reaction GIF

5 minutes later Cad Bane appears in the distance.

What Incredulous GIF by MOODMAN

Luke making Grogu choose.

embarrassed GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Cad Bane's hat in the animated series was actually much bigger with the brim sloped down kinda like one of those asian hats. This is an improvement, but still close enough that fans of the animated series could immediately recognize it.

There’s been westerns where someone wears a hat like that but my immediate recollection is billy Jack, even though he isn’t the same character archetype. 

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

we flipped the fuck out when we saw Ahsoka last night.  that was so cool.

if/when Ezra, Sabine, and/or Thrawn make their live action debuts, i'm not sure i'll be able to handle it.

this series has gotten awesome real quick.

We will get Thrawn.  Ahsoka is hunting him.

We will most likely get Sabine - no way she stays out of the upcoming Game of (Mandalore) Thrones that is Mando S3.

Ezra's the wild card.

George Lucas has to be happy, given his role in creating the show and his personally hiring Filoni.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

No patience? We have one episode left? Then we get to wait 18 months for 7 more episodes! At least with Mando, they only wasted one episode of season 2. I don’t bitch a lot about filler in animated shows that adds some future call back content because there are a lot more episodes per season. Every episode of these short seasons of live action is precious to our inner fan boys as Mark Hammill grows another year closer to being unavailable. 

Don't think of them as filler.  From what we have now seen in the past two episodes, Mandalorian, Boba, and Ahsoka are going to be intertwined.  Mandalorian setup Boba Fett, the fight for control of Mandalore, and the hunt for Admiral Thrawn - Filoni/Favreau didn't toss in a mention of Thrawn being around, without that happening.  Boba is definitely going to be backing Mando in S3.

Mando S3 will be later this year (they've been filming since last October).  Ahsoka's show won't be filming until Mando S3 wraps up, so I'm not sure if we will see it this year.

We are getting Obi-Wan and the Cassian Andor series this year, although both of those will be taking place much earlier than the Mandoverse.  We are getting more Bad Batch laster this year.  The Acolyte and Lando shows will be set outside of the Mandoverse (Acolyte is High Republic).

Same. As soon as I saw a hint of a blue face I knew it was about to get real.