The Book of Boba Fett- Disney+ show starting December 29

mdmost

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Mind.  Blown.  Just saw on IMDb that the actor playing the bartender in Mos Pelgo/Freetown is none other than W. Earl Brown aka Deadwood’s Dan Dority.   Should have had Ian McShane voice Cad Bane.  Judges would also have accepted Walt Goggins.  Would love to see a Star Wars  version of Boyd Crowder.  

Warren

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

Loved it. The future feels like it’s supposed to move past the Skywalker saga, so Grogu will obviously choose Mando, but I love that they gave us some nostalgia with Luke and a story to tie it back to Yoda since they clearly are the same species. There are so many things they can do with these storylines. I also love how they toe the right line with cheesy 70s style Star Wars aesthetic. With all the technology now they still have a lot of action that mimics the old puppetry. The space western scene was a ton of fun, just enough cheese without going full Jar Jar. I think it’s clear now that this series is just an extension of The Mandalorian, and I’m okay with that. I’m glad we saw the Boba back story, but he’s still a side character clearly and that’s just fine with me.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know that it would be possible in next week's finale, but certainly possible in the Ahsoka series, but Captain Rex needs to appear. 

I could see Hondo making an appearance next week, and I hope Cad Bane comes back too. Fennec and Cad had a showdown in the Bad Batch last year. Really good. 

So glad Filoni is being given the latitude to do his thing!

• Hook 'Em 1

So the Andor show comes out before Ahsoka, and Rebels certainly (obviously) crossed paths with quite a bit of the rebel alliance building, something Hera seemed to be involved in.  I wonder if it will be like Bobba Fett - a vehicle to move the Rebels storyline along using an established movie character to introduce to the unwashed masses the clone wars characters Hera and possibly Sabine or Zeb. 

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Watched the last episode with my kids yesterday.  My 9YO was like "What are you talking about Luke!?!?! ALL YOU DID WAS HAVE PERSONAL ATTACHMENTS!!! LET GROGU GO!"

Funny that truth came from a 9yo. I read a clickbait article off FB where they ranted that Disney is still full of idiots bent on tarnishing Luke Skywalker by having him forget his humanity and past attachments that saved his father only 5 years earlier. And that it was the Jedi’s forbidding attachment that partially drove Anakin’s turn to Vader. Did Luke suddenly give up his relationships with Leia, Han, others, eventually Mara Jade after finding religion post ROTJ, or is he just a hypocrite?

16 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

So the Andor show comes out before Ahsoka, and Rebels certainly (obviously) crossed paths with quite a bit of the rebel alliance building, something Hera seemed to be involved in.  I wonder if it will be like Bobba Fett - a vehicle to move the Rebels storyline along using an established movie character to introduce to the unwashed masses the clone wars characters Hera and possibly Sabine or Zeb. 

I mean at this point I tend to think of all the "Filoni-verse" shows as one big show. They are all going to have important story/character cross-overs serving the larger story.

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Funny that truth came from a 9yo. I read a clickbait article off FB where they ranted that Disney is still full of idiots bent on tarnishing Luke Skywalker by having him forget his humanity and past attachments that saved his father only 5 years earlier. And that it was the Jedi’s forbidding attachment that partially drove Anakin’s turn to Vader. Did Luke suddenly give up his relationships with Leia, Han, others, eventually Mara Jade after finding religion post ROTJ, or is he just a hypocrite?

It's interesting because in the old Expanded Universe (now non-canon "Legends") the post-ROTJ Luke recognized the problem with the dogmatic view of the Jedi on personal attachments and the problems it caused in the past and could cause in the future, so he relaxed those rules with new Jedi and that's how he ended up marrying Mara Jade.

But yeah in the new canon (thanks to TLJ) he seems to be doubling down on the old Jedi dumbness and doesn't realize the problems with those views until *after* Ben Solo turns into Kylo Ren and wipes out his Jedi academy.

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We will get Thrawn.  Ahsoka is hunting him.

We will most likely get Sabine - no way she stays out of the upcoming Game of (Mandalore) Thrones that is Mando S3.

Ezra's the wild card.

George Lucas has to be happy, given his role in creating the show and his personally hiring Filoni.

Since Thrawn and Ezra disappeared to the "Unknown Regions" (or whatever they called it) together, I'd be very surprised if we don't see him.

And yeah I think it's a given we'll be getting all of the best Filoni characters in live action. Thrawn, Sabine and Ezra are almost a given, IMO. I think Hera, Chopper and Hondo are also pretty damn likely.

Others that are possible, but maybe less likely... Embo, Dutchess Satine (flashback in Obi-Wan series), Kanan/Caleb Dune (flashback?), Agent Kallus (Cassian Andor series?).

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Watched the last episode with my kids yesterday.  My 9YO was like "What are you talking about Luke!?!?! ALL YOU DID WAS HAVE PERSONAL ATTACHMENTS!!! LET GROGU GO!"

I thought that was weird too. I mean, he literally made out with his sister.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Since Thrawn and Ezra disappeared to the "Unknown Regions" (or whatever they called it) together, I'd be very surprised if we don't see him.

And yeah I think it's a given we'll be getting all of the best Filoni characters in live action. Thrawn, Sabine and Ezra are almost a given, IMO. I think Hera, Chopper and Hondo are also pretty damn likely.

Others that are possible, but maybe less likely... Embo, Dutchess Satine (flashback in Obi-Wan series), Kanan/Caleb Dune (flashback?), Agent Kallus (Cassian Andor series?).

We already had Chopper in Rogue 1!

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We will most likely get Sabine - no way she stays out of the upcoming Game of (Mandalore) Thrones that is Mando S3.

there are credible reports that an actress has already been cast to play Sabine in the upcoming Ahsoka show:  Natasha Liu Bordizzo.  so that's one down for sure.

Natasha-Liu-Bordizzo-Sabine-Wren-2.jpg?w

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Dafuq you say?

spacer.png

RE: Luke 

In the expanded universe, the Thrawn and Jedi Temple trilogies, I thought he wrestled with it a bit. 

As far as this take on Luke goes, his two mentors hammered in to him attachment issues because his dad turned Vader on them due to attachments, and they were rightfully terrified he’d do the same (turned out they should have had that talk with both kids). As he is struggling to rebuild the Jedi in his own, with only the teachings of Obi Wan and Yoda plus his personal experiences, I could see him trying to over correct that direction. It is just a matter of how you tell the story of that character. I trust Filoni to mostly do that correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's interesting because in the old Expanded Universe (now non-canon "Legends") the post-ROTJ Luke recognized the problem with the dogmatic view of the Jedi on personal attachments and the problems it caused in the past and could cause in the future, so he relaxed those rules with new Jedi and that's how he ended up marrying Mara Jade.

But yeah in the new canon (thanks to TLJ) he seems to be doubling down on the old Jedi dumbness and doesn't realize the problems with those views until *after* Ben Solo turns into Kylo Ren and wipes out his Jedi academy.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

As far as this take on Luke goes, his two mentors hammered in to him attachment issues because his dad turned Vader on them due to attachments, and they were rightfully terrified he’d do the same (turned out they should have had that talk with both kids). As he is struggling to rebuild the Jedi in his own, with only the teachings of Obi Wan and Yoda plus his personal experiences, I could see him trying to over correct that direction. It is just a matter of how you tell the story of that character. I trust Filoni to mostly do that correctly. 

This episode was the only one that Favreau didn't write himself, and he co-wrote it with Filoni, so I feel like Luke was written the way he was for a reason - Filoni would be coming at this from the perspective of having spent years of his professional life covering Luke's dad and everything leading up to Order 66.

I think Ahsoka probably had some influence on how he's teaching, assuming she told him about his dad and Padme, etc. (and probably his mom).

I could totally see Luke going old-school Jedi Monk after seeing/learning how his dad's personal attachments led to everything that it did (even taking into context Luke's saving his friends and his dad because he wasn't the Jedi Monk).

On 2/3/2022 at 1:57 AM, Xminus6 said:

They didn’t give Boba one line in the whole episode, which is fine by me. Mando is awesome. 

Lol I am finally caught up and been texting my friend (huge SW nerd) that this is finally a good series now that Boba has taken a backseat to other characters.  Also told him Boba hasn’t said shit in awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They had access to Hamill and didn't just have him record some dialogue? Why? You could tinker with it some to make him sound "younger". As opposed to sounding like a speak and spell.

It's probably more difficult and expensive to take Hamill's current voice and pitch it back down to his 1984 voice. The range of his voice has changed dramatically. It seemed obvious to me during the show that they used something similar to the AI that was used in the Anthony Bourdain documentary to have him speak after his death. It's not perfect but neither was the first fake Luke we got in season 2. But even that massively improved over a year. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's probably more difficult and expensive to take Hamill's current voice and pitch it back down to his 1984 voice. The range of his voice has changed dramatically. It seemed obvious to me during the show that they used something similar to the AI that was used in the Anthony Bourdain documentary to have him speak after his death. It's not perfect but neither was the first fake Luke we got in season 2. But even that massively improved over a year. 

The technology is moving fast too. In another year that tech will be better than it is now. Together with the better deep fake work on this last episode foretells some interesting times for actors ahead. We could conceivably add onto stories where the actors have aged out of the roles. We're already doing it to a degree with movies like The Irishman and some of the other youthing technology in Marvel movies and such.

I think what they should do with that respeech technology is do a similar Deep Fake type implementation where it "translates" a current actor's voice acting and overlays the synthesized voice on top of it to pick up intonation and pace.

I'm interested in the legal aspect of it.

Edited by Xminus6

7 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

The technology is moving fast too. In another year that tech will be better than it is now. Together with the better deep fake work on this last episode foretells some interesting times for actors ahead. We could conceivably add onto stories where the actors have aged out of the roles. We're already doing it to a degree with movies like The Irishman and some of the other youthing technology in Marvel movies and such.

I think what they should do with that respeech technology is do a similar Deep Fake type implementation where it "translates" a current actor's voice acting and overlays the synthesized voice on top of it to pick up intonation and pace.

I'm interested in the legal aspect of it.

And James Cameron is probably really pushing things forward in multiple areas with his upcoming Avatar movies (one of which I think is in the can).  It's not exactly de-aging or screwing with voices so much as it's building upon the motion-capture/face-capture technology which will help with the kinds of movies you are talking about.