House of the Dragon

crash_davis

15 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

What’s up with the face on that tree? Is it alive?

I don't know how much they really have talked about the magic trees on the show.  I could tell you, but it's book related and, well.......

Just go ahead and read all the books.  It's only 3,000 pages or so.  You can knock that shit out in a weekend.  

35 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I don't know how much they really have talked about the magic trees on the show.  I could tell you, but it's book related and, well.......

Just go ahead and read all the books.  It's only 3,000 pages or so.  You can knock that shit out in a weekend.  

The existence of Godswoods with Weirwood trees is not bookfaggy at all.  It's very well established in GoT TV.  They were a key plot element with Bran and the revelation of Jon Snow's lineage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Crabface guy looked like a feeble serial killer. More mind than brawn, so no issues with him being easily dispatched...in half, as it were. That said he had a cool mask and it seemed to be made of shell which was a cool serial killer way of him to embrace his crabbiness, beyond his preferred method of torture. Between Daemon's jousting helmet and crabface mask, the head accouterments are 10/10.

The problem is Daemon is lame. He's not strong or cool. He's weird looking and apparently has the endurance of an iron man participant. To have Daemon finally do something after 3 years because his soft big brother is threatening to help him is lame and make Daemon look even more pouty and emotional like the weird looking, arrested development, 45 year old but wants to be 30 year old that he is.

What is fun, though, is the Ser Cristan and Rhanny vibes. Not in love with building Ser Cristn up as the noble savage, a low-born man but with extraordinary abilities and qualities unseen among other men, but I'll allow it.

Here is the thing about Viserys and his daughter. Do they suck? yes. But do I like them? yes.

I thought her walking back into camp like she just drank punch at carries prom was pretty cool. I went from disliking her completely to liking her a lot this episode.

And maybe because I'm a paunchy middle aged man with a modicum of external power who is completely toothless at home with his own teenage daughter, I feel seen with this dynamic. Like my daughter, this girl is a whole mood and until you've had your own of 10 and 7 years old (sans the trying to marry them off for advantage) you might not recognize the internal and external conflict of Viserys is real.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Crabface guy looked like a feeble serial killer. More mind than brawn, so no issues with him being easily dispatched...in half, as it were. That said he had a cool mask and it seemed to be made of shell which was a cool serial killer way of him to embrace his crabbiness, beyond his preferred method of torture. Between Daemon's jousting helmet and crabface mask, the head accouterments are 10/10.

The problem is Daemon is lame. He's not strong or cool. He's weird looking and apparently has the endurance of an iron man participant. To have Daemon finally do something after 3 years because his soft big brother is threatening to help him is lame and make Daemon look even more pouty and emotional like the weird looking, arrested development, 45 year old but wants to be 30 year old that he is.

What is fun, though, is the Ser Cristan and Rhanny vibes. Not in love with building Ser Cristn up as the noble savage, a low-born man but with extraordinary abilities and qualities unseen among other men, but I'll allow it.

Here is the thing about Viserys and his daughter. Do they suck? yes. But do I like them? yes.

I thought her walking back into camp like she just drank punch at carries prom was pretty cool. I went from disliking her completely to liking her a lot this episode.

And maybe because I'm a paunchy middle aged man with a modicum of external power who is completely toothless at home with his own teenage daughter, I feel seen with this dynamic. Like my daughter, this girl is a whole mood and until you've had your own of 10 and 7 years old (sans the trying to marry them off for advantage) you might not recognize the internal and external conflict of Viserys is real.

did you say cooter mints?

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Wouldn't be a Surly member if I didn't gripe, so here it is.

Daemon has graduated from not being able to beat Sir Cristan in a fair joust in episode one, to a fucking ninja assassin by episode 3. We're not supposed to respect him, or we are? Speaking of respect, he flushes out the crabs by "surrendering" so they obvs 1. send out 4 at a time to get slaughtered one by one. Until a dozen men are dead. And then 2. Send out 50 men to form a respectful 15-foot perimeter around Daemon, to just..... stare at him. Until reinforcements are able to arrive. 

And 3. the King Crab was all worried about a dragon, but for the millionth time in a GoT episode, that flying 3-ton beast is able to sneak up on his army when he's not looking like a ..... well, a 6-oz crab. 

Anyways, see y'all on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Daemon has graduated from not being able to beat Sir Cristan in a fair joust in episode one, to a fucking ninja assassin by episode 3. We're not supposed to respect him, or we are? Speaking of respect, he flushes out the crabs by "surrendering" so they obvs 1. send out 4 at a time to get slaughtered one by one. Until a dozen men are dead. And then 2. Send out 50 men to form a respectful 15-foot perimeter around Daemon, to just..... stare at him. Until reinforcements are able to arrive. 

And 3. the King Crab was all worried about a dragon, but for the millionth time in a GoT episode, that flying 3-ton beast is able to sneak up on his army when he's not looking like a ..... well, a 6-oz crab. 

Crisan can definitely throwdown.  There is no evidence that the crab king is great at H2H combat.  He didn't exactly confront enemy combatants. 

I think the bigger mystery is why Grey Worm and Selmy had issues with the rich white people.

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Daemon is likely one of the best fighters in the realm and master of the Gold Cloaks. Cole is no slouch and probably one of the few people who could hold their own against him. The guy is in the fucking Kingsguard. Losing to him shouldn’t take away any of Daemon’s accolades as a fighter. 

10 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Daemon is likely one of the best fighters in the realm and master of the Gold Cloaks. Cole is no slouch and probably one of the few people who could hold their own against him. The guy is in the fucking Kingsguard. Losing to him shouldn’t take away any of Daemon’s accolades as a fighter. 

Especially given that Cole busted Daemon in the back with a morning star.

It's Daemon's fault that he didn't secure the "yield" from Cole before he began seeking the crowd's adoration. But that was a bitch move by Cole on my scorecard.

• Like 1

Because we all watch and enjoy stupid shows like this, I thought this piece on Queen Elizabeth's death in The New Yorker was interesting. We enjoy these fictional archaic kingdom and political intrigues because we are still a party to them today in real life, in some respects, and find comforts in our own version of a white hart omen and iron throne. Until we all wear silver unitards one day in the future and become one hivemind, at least:

Queen Elizabeth II, who died on Thursday, at Balmoral Castle, in Scotland, at the age of ninety-six, became monarch in the early hours of February 6, 1952—although, famously, she remained unaware of her transmutation for several hours. King George VI died in his sleep at the Sandringham estate, in Norfolk, as Elizabeth, his eldest daughter, was more than four thousand miles away, on a safari holiday in Kenya. “She became Queen while in a perch in a tree in Africa, watching the rhinoceros come down to the pool to drink,” Harold Nicolson, the diplomat and politician, wrote in his diary. A member of the royal party later recollected an auspicious occurrence: around sunrise, an eagle had soared over Elizabeth’s head at roughly the moment when the King died.

A modern monarchy—an oxymoron, if ever there was one—does not depend for its authority on the memorializing of such mystical moments. But they help. The institution of hereditary kingship is irrational and impractical, sustained in the present era only through a willful combination of public pageantry and concealed mystery. Sixteen months after the King’s death, millions watched Elizabeth’s coronation, thanks to cameras set up in Westminster Abbey. But off limits to viewers was the arcane ritual of the anointing of the monarch—when the Queen, seated beneath a canopy of golden cloth held aloft by four enrobed Knights of the Garter, was daubed on her hands, forehead, and chest with holy oil borne in a twelfth-century gold-and-silver spoon. Just as the breath of kingship passed invisibly into her with her father’s passing, the perquisites and responsibilities of majesty were bestowed on her in that secret ceremony beneath the cloth of gold.

Edited by MeerkatBong

8 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Because we all watch and enjoy stupid shows like this, I thought this piece on Queen Elizabeth's death in The New Yorker was interesting. We enjoy these fictional archaic kingdom and political intrigues because we are still a party to them today in real life, in some respects, and find comforts in our own version of a white hart omen and iron throne. Until we all wear silver unitards one day in the future and become one hivemind, at least:

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Loved this episode. Looks like shit starts going down next week.

And I loved Otto getting screwed over by overplaying his cards.

Also, if you like medieval period pieces, check out “The Serpent Queen” on Starz. Really great premiere - has the vibe of “The Favorite” and has Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) in the role of Pope Clement.

• Hook 'Em 5

It's funny to me how some episodes I find boring, others find thoroughly interesting and then when I really enjoy one, others find it boring.

I thought tonight's episode was starting to drag and then it turned great. Rhaenyra turns the tables on Otto, and I really enjoyed that.

I like that although Viserys is a weak king, he's not a fool by any stretch.  Sends Hightower packing and then sends morning-after tea to his daughter.

Clever of Otto to turn Mysara into one of his little birds.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think he probably felt Damon manipulated his daughter heir  

It was all about making her illegitimate as heir because Daemon knew it would ruin her reputation while doing nothing to his own. Plus he can f over his brother in the process. 

• Hook 'Em 2