This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

Talented folks who walk through the hell of getting sober usually do really well on the otherside. It was the fundamental reason why I thought sober post-saban Sark could do well. I was nervous mind you, hell Mack Brown looked more sure than Sark but gotDAM we are close to proving this experiment right. I honestly think Arch Mannings junior year will be the best Sark team ever here and he’s got 1-2 more teams … after this year and before Arch’s junior year that could be contenders. We could land with 5 shots at the winning it all and 5-6 playoff berths in a row with this guy! This does not look like a flash in the pan but yes let’s prove it out. But holy shit am I excited!!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, scottsins said:

So, if we lose the semifinal game, and Sark’s agent comes asking for an extension for another 5 years at $7M*/year, you think we should just say “nah…”?

Actually I would give it to him, honestly considering it'd be about 1.3m more than what he's making now?  I'm happy for him, glad he's our coach and while I'm feeling bullish, I'm not ready to say we're about to go on a magical run.  Yet.  Give me another year similar to this and yeah we're there.

1 minute ago, troph said:

Talented folks who walk through the hell of getting sober usually do really well on the otherside. It was the fundamental reason why I thought sober post-saban Sark could do well. I was nervous mind you, hell Mack Brown looked more sure than Sark but gotDAM we are close to proving this experiment right. I honestly think Arch Mannings junior year will be the best Sark team ever here and he’s got 1-2 more teams … after this year that could be contenders. We could land with 5 shots at the winning it all and 5-6 playoff berths in a row with this guy! This does not look like a flash in the pan but yes let’s prove it out. But holy shit am I excited!!

Yes, your initial premise is accurate.  But, some of the thinking changes that accompany getting sober might not be compatible with the coaching of Division 1 football.  So many (successful and otherwise) coaches are such fringe personalities these days, you kind of wonder if it doesn't require a personality disorder to succeed.  And, even if it doesn't require a personality disorder, reconciling past job behavior or traits with sober behavior or traits can be a challenge, including a challenge to sobriety so I was a bit worried for Steve.  But I'm glad he's having this success and I hope it continues.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, your initial premise is accurate.  But, some of the thinking changes that accompany getting sober might not be compatible with the coaching of Division 1 football.  So many (successful and otherwise) coaches are such fringe personalities these days, you kind of wonder if it doesn't require a personality disorder to succeed.  And, even if it doesn't require a personality disorder, reconciling past job behavior or traits with sober behavior or traits can be a challenge, including a challenge to sobriety so I was a bit worried for Steve.  But I'm glad he's having this success and I hope it continues.

I think most who struggle with addiction have something underlying that drove them there. ADHD is probably a spectacular trait for a play caller - hyper focus is a super power. Now get into depression or anxiety maybe not but maybe. Anxiety is what drives me to prepare myself. OCD similar unless it’s debilitating. I don’t think mental health or personality peculiarities are automatic doom for a coach. IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I do think he should get a one time bonus or an accelerated contract amount and a renewal but I think it’s too early to say give this guy a top 5 contract in college football for 5+ years with most of it being guaranteed. 

I think he could get a big raise and STILL be a long way from Top 5.  Where is he now, #30 or so? 

I don't know for a fact that he isn't driven by an egomaniacal need to make as much as the top guys, but he doesn't give off that basic personality vibe.  He seems pretty content and grateful to UT.  If I were CDC and it wasn't my money I'd definitely be willing to go $7M easily, just based on where we are now.  A title?  Go further.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apologies, Sark, for a few "fuck yous" that might have slipped out in the heat of the moment, but I think a coach has to feel some pressure when his team isn't performing optimally. Gotta believe losing JB and Ewers (for a while) forced you to climb to new heights. You truly opened up the offense and beat the fuck out of the last two opponents. You have some offensive genius in you after all, and your recruiting is making us all believers. 

If anyone needs a little inspiration, go watch some of the historic Longhorn teams. This is where we need to be - the new Alabama - college footballs new dynasty - Austin, the dream destination for every high school football player in the country. When it comes to this program, never let off the gas. (And don't worry, Surly has your back.)

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Let’s hold off on sucking each others dicks. He had a good season and will hopefully cap it off in a special way. We need to be in the conversation all year next year then give this guy all the money. 

Upon reading this post and as to Sark getting a big monied extension, aggy is asking "what are the stupid sips waiting for?"

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

I do think he should get a one time bonus or an accelerated contract amount and a renewal but I think it’s too early to say give this guy a top 5 contract in college football for 5+ years with most of it being guaranteed. 

Agreed. I think CDC can reward him without going crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

If Sark wins the championship we should give him a $1,000 raise and make him mow our lawns.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think he could get a big raise and STILL be a long way from Top 5.  Where is he now, #30 or so? 

I don't know for a fact that he isn't driven by an egomaniacal need to make as much as the top guys, but he doesn't give off that basic personality vibe.  He seems pretty content and grateful to UT.  If I were CDC and it wasn't my money I'd definitely be willing to go $7M easily, just based on where we are now.  A title?  Go further.

Exactly. I think this is the way. He’s due more money, but let’s not get stupid about it until sustained success. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah he deserves a rais but let's not pull a Jimbo / Mel Tucker here..

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, and in the same way I don't get the feeling Sark "needs" to be the highest paid dude out there, I get the feeling he'd probably like to see some substantial reward for his staff.  Spreading a couple mil around (plus a bit for Sark) could make several really valuable guys very, very happy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Give him 7.5M through 2029.  That's 5 years to get it done in the SEC.  If he gets it done in that league, then Kirby his ass.  

Yes.  I want to reiterate that I’m not against a raise or an extension but I think we need another year or two similar to this before giving stupid money

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, I went back and looked at some of those presser videos from recently that people have been rec'ing.

The humility and authenticity of that guy just oozes.  I can't think of another coach like that.  That, I am relatively certain, is a by-product of sobriety:  you can talk about tough stuff, answer hard questions without bluster, without resorting to cliches and deflections.  It's remarkable.

And, I bet that it is so unconventional that it takes players some time to adjust to it and respond to it.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, I went back and looked at some of those presser videos from recently that people have been rec'ing.

The humility and authenticity of that guy just oozes.  I can't think of another coach like that.  That, I am relatively certain, is a by-product of sobriety:  you can talk about tough stuff, answer hard questions without bluster, without resorting to cliches and deflections.  It's remarkable.

And, I bet that it is so unconventional that it takes players some time to adjust to it and respond to it.

This is what I’m talking about. I was going to actually say if he’s got a depression streak then vulnerability is the answer but in the end fuck all of that he’s a sober guy that does it right, it’s not shocking he’s killing it and you know exactly what I’m talking about. It’s not just a sober guy, sobriety isn’t the end all be all. It’s self awareness and self reflective folks that have a major leg up on others. He’s got it. It’s incredible. 

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, and in the same way I don't get the feeling Sark "needs" to be the highest paid dude out there, I get the feeling he'd probably like to see some substantial reward for his staff.  Spreading a couple mil around (plus a bit for Sark) could make several really valuable guys very, very happy.

cough*Tashard Choice*cough

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When Bobby Ross was HC of the Chargers, he slept in his office 3 or 4 nights a week during the season.  His wife would bring him dinner and he'd spend 30 minutes or so with her. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

This is what I’m talking about. I was going to actually say if he’s got a depression streak then vulnerability is the answer but in the end fuck all of that he’s a sober guy that does it right, it’s not shocking he’s killing it and you know exactly what I’m talking about. It’s not just a sober guy, sobriety isn’t the end all be all. It’s self awareness and self reflective folks that have a major leg up on others. He’s got it. It’s incredible. 

I'm sure all of that plays into his success.  Beyond that, he's smart as hell and creative to boot.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure all of that plays into his success.  Beyond that, he's smart as hell and creative to boot.

I started with he’s talented. I so fucking happy!

funny tho my wife and I have been together for 8 years she’s never seen me glued to Saturday football like this. I said, “babe, our Alma mater is gooooood!!” Fucking A this is so bad ass!

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is where I am at. There are some pretty essential guys in the assistant ranks that I wouldn't want to lose. I think they might even be more important than making sure Sark gets his money.

• Hook 'Em 3

In his Monday press conference recently, he said he does a post-mortem of the season and that they evaluate everyone on staff starting with himself. I would love to know how fair and complete of a job the evaluation looks and use that as a guide to how we should look at his compensation.

Given his past, I was very concerned when we hired him because of the amount of stress that comes with the UTHFC position. I thought it would be one of the most difficult challenges to his sobriety imaginable. I love that he's been successful and the growth that he's obviously had over the years, including his time on the 40. At this point he does look like our long-term guy. It's so damn nice to have this feeling again.

• Drool 1

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Exactly. I think this is the way. He’s due more money, but let’s not get stupid about it until sustained success. 

Sark's 6yr contract details started early 2021

Spoiler

• 2021 - $5.2 million
  • 2022 - $5.4 million
  • 2023 - $5.6 million
  • 2024 - $5.8 million
  • 2025 - $6 million
  • 2026 - $6.2 million

Sark #30   $5.6 million   (Oct. 2023)

Screenshot_20231203-174853_kindlephoto-19571831.thumb.png.1e5986b93a95453cc8c517c7f3c6d146.png

View the full list here.

https://footballscoop.com/news/usa-today-list-highest-paid-college-football-coaches-salaries-2023-nick-saban-dabo-swinney 

Edited by LTtxfan

35 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s about winning of course but if you seen his interviews he’s a keeper for reasons beyond just winning, if that’s possible.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Two we must hang on to are Tashard Choice and Bo Davis, but that won't be easy if either are offered a coordinator or HC job. Of course in the event of the latter you just gotta thank them for their service and wish them the best. The price of success is having your staff raided...we've been fortunate so far but it won't last.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Inexcusable not to call timeout before the delay penalty.  

Watching live in my mind he was too stunned by the audacity of it and was thinking

"There is no way he is going to stand over the ball until the play clock runs out. Is there?

Holy shit! They are really going to do doing that? Now? In front of everybody? FUUUCK!"

(they do in fact stand over the ball and let OSU run players on as the clock runs out)

"Wow"

(out loud now) "That was my fault."

• Hook 'Em 4

He's getting a big extension. I could see it being an additional 3-5 years at $9mil annually.

His agent will want to strike while the iron's hot and we shouldn't do anything to make him feel slighted.

The way Michigan treated Harbaugh before he started going crazy these last 3 years (post new contract) was not a good look for them. He's still underpaid.

We're better than that. Doesn't need to be a long contract, but he needs to get paid. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Whether Sark is or isn't the guy long term and regardless of how much extra compensation he gets after this season, what's more important I think is that he has proven that you can still win at Texas. He has proven that the location, brand, culture, boosters, campus leadership etc. is not incompatible with winning and that Texas is still a blueblood of the game. Which makes sense given the national success that so many sports at Texas have enjoyed since 2009 - but Texas football was never going to be back until it was back. 

Now that it is - it's easy to feel better about the future whether Sark is here 5, 10, 15 more years. The guy after Sark doesn't have to suck like the two guys between him and Mack did. He's reminded everyone what the standard should be and that it is attainable. 

Solid fucking post. I like off the sauce Ztejas

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Whether Sark is or isn't the guy long term and regardless of how much extra compensation he gets after this season, what's more important I think is that he has proven that you can still win at Texas. He has proven that the location, brand, culture, boosters, campus leadership etc. is not incompatible with winning and that Texas is still a blueblood of the game. Which makes sense given the national success that so many sports at Texas have enjoyed since 2009 - but Texas football was never going to be back until it was back. 

Now that it is - it's easy to feel better about the future whether Sark is here 5, 10, 15 more years. The guy after Sark doesn't have to suck like the two guys between him and Mack did. He's reminded everyone what the standard should be and that it is attainable. 

You can win at Texas if you hire competence, culture and work ethic over flashy. The “sexy” hires either flamed out by not producing results or got themselves fired for being shitty people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Great post.  Quoted for a really level headed opinion on this.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Although depression is often co-morbid with alcoholism (alcohol is one of the finest CNS depressants known to man, to boot), that vulnerability and humility is an express teaching and goal of AA and most recovery psychology.  

You hear a lot of talk about honesty in AA and recovery.  At the first pass, that is quit lying to cover up your drinking and misbehavior.  At the second pass, it's quit lying about anything so as to avoid guilt.  At the third or fourth pass, it's quit lying to yourself and to other people about who you are and what are your character defects, it becomes all about humility and authenticity and the integrity is just along for the ride at that point.

And, as a result of that, you come to understand that you are really no better and no worse than your fellow man, even when in your cups (to think otherwise, even negatively, is just vanity), and that you can be honest, open and accountable and acceptable to yourself and to anyone else who matters.  And then, then you have it mostly knocked.

100% and quite frankly that was analogous to my journey which is why I relate hard to sark and to my sober brothers and sisters.

• Hook 'Em 6

Yeah, I don’t think sark’s agent is gonna waste the keystrokes asking for 7.  If they push for something, I assume it would be closer to 10 than 7.   Does Sark have interest in going back to nfl at some point?   

Agreed. I was being conservative with the hypothetical.