This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some people seem to have a distorted view of who holds the leverage in these contract negotiations. Sarkisian is getting paid very soon. There is no "go prove it again next year" or "hold off and see if he can do it again". That is not how this works. The market is constantly evolving and these coaches are getting their contracts extended/updated every 3-4 years at this point.

And for those pointing to Tom Herman's extension, it should be noted again that he was given an extra 2 years on his contract and didn't even receive a raise. The extra two years were just at the same annual 250k increase he was already receiving. And it still didn't prevent us from moving on when we wanted to move on. I've still yet to see us be forced to keep a coach in any sport we didn't want to keep because of their buyout.

Didn’t we lower his buyout with the extra two years?

pay Steve top ten money.  Can we hold off on top five money?

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He has 3 years left on this current contract. It is structured to where Texas would owe him 70% of his remaining contract if he is fired and it would be paid in monthly installments.

Extending him 3-4 years and increasing his salary to $9ish million a year isn't outrageous at all imo. That puts him right in that top 10 range.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He has 3 years left on this current contract. It is structured to where Texas would owe him 70% of his remaining contract if he is fired and it would be paid in monthly installments.

Extending him 3-4 years and increasing his salary to $9ish million a year isn't outrageous at all imo. That puts him right in that top 10 range.

image.png.819eef8ff0cc8a543a0949f30854e205.png

9-10 Million seems about right per year. 9.25-9.75 seems the range IMO. That would be him at 7th highest paid.

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Why does it matter? Texas is not gonna peacock over a big annual salary Sark contract like Aggies did with Jimbo. 

His next deal will be based on merit, not potential. We are a playoff team in Year 3. The college football world won't blink an eye if we give him a big pay raise. 

Also if HC contracts get higher and higher, that will negatively affect other programs, not us. 

57 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Fuck that. 

This dude delivered and has us loaded to keep delivering. 

Pay him. Pay Bo. Pay them all. 

What are you saving up for? The AD makes a bazillion dollars a year off football, and is about to go SEC some more money. 

Pay 9 win Steve 9mm. Pay Bo Davis whatever a DC makes. Do not let that MUTHAFUCKA get in the transfer portal. 

This is exactly what you want to over pay for. 

Exactly. Pay the man, but especially make sure his assistants get paid. You don't wanna get poached because you were cheap. It's one thing to be UH and lose your coaches for better jobs but we are the better job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Give him 7.5M through 2029.  That's 5 years to get it done in the SEC.  If he gets it done in that league, then Kirby his ass.  

Wtf? 

In 2026, 7.5M will be nothing. 

Give the dude 9 and be done for a while. 

And as importantly, pay the position coaches that are outperforming and outrecruiting.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Have we ever lost a coach in any sport over money?

There are certain MUTHAFUCKAS that are highly coveted. When was the last time we had that? 

Don't even entertain it, Fam. 

Edited by Slacks

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Top 5 money is for sustained success.   Sark has done it a total of once.  

Define sustained. Because as much as we talk about money, only Mack Brown (in the money era) has done it. 

There were threads and posts here quite a while back that pretty much called year three as the year that shows whether a guy has it or doesn't. 

It's year 3. Coach has shown he can win. Pay him like a winner... If he does it again pay him like a sustained winner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, mannewers said:

Sark tore this mother fucker down to the studs after year one and said I am going to do this my way. That takes a lot of courage and belief in what you are doing, especially when you are talking about a blue blood program. Just two years later, here we fucking are, a shot at winning a Championship.

How many people would have preferred guys like Dave Aranda or Sonny Dykes over Sark? Sark had to completely rebuild our program from the foundation up and for that he went 5-7 instead of winning immediately like the former two.

Hell, I remember people giving love to Sam Pittman. Maybe not here but nationally. None of those guys can carry Sark's jock.

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Quite a bit of gold from Page 1. Here's Steve's rebuttal:

image.png.8eb4179eeaa5fc2d5a3d07f186f6773f.png

Yeah my page 1 post was wrong no ifs ands or buts about it.

My grievances now are pretty small mostly around improve the secondary ASAP & pick one of cede some control on the play calling so you can focus on game/clock management OR hire someone to pay attention to that specifically and grant them the needed authority to call timeouts and slow down drives to keep the opponent from getting the ball back etc.  Previously I was annoyed at his inability to take the points but he seems to have gotten that memo and during the Tech game did remarkable in that job even as we sucked out loud in the red zone so hope that trend continues.

His press conferences are great without a doubt the best we've had at UT for football since I have been a fan.  He also seems adept at putting up with all the bullshit that is required of being the UT head football coach so that is probably the #1 thing in his corner.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, mannewers said:

Sark tore this mother fucker down to the studs after year one and said I am going to do this my way. That takes a lot of courage and belief in what you are doing, especially when you are talking about a blue blood program. Just two years later, here we fucking are, a shot at winning a Championship.

Along the way, all he has been doing is preaching a vision to recruits. One that is coming to fruition starting now.

The staff has damn near been Nostradamus playing the patience game with recruits believing teams were not what many expected them to be.

Sark seems to do very well at identifying the right guys for the coaching staff. At this point, there is no reason that staff budget should not go up. There is no reason we should not have one of the highest staff budgets in the country.

Sark definitely seems to be perfecting his craft as he goes and learning from his shortcomings.

I'm not naive to believe it is going to be smooth sailing yet, especially with the move to the SEC.

I was coming around to Sark last year, I was bullish on 10+ wins this season. I am bullish on Sark, he truly seems to have fixed our culture problem.

LFG!!

These two points - that he has (1) preached a consistent vision to the team and recruits, and (2) learned from his mistakes and continues to improve - are what gives the most hope for sustained success and the most confidence in Sark. The guy is a great coach but is still learning and improving game to game and year to year. The fact that is smart enough to see problems and fix them, coupled with him being humble enough to understand he isn't perfect, is huge. 

But the fact that he has an ethos, and that he both talks the talk and walks the walk according to that ethos, is probably even more important. You know he isn't full of bullshit when you see him take it on the chin after any loss and still refuses to throw anyone under the bus. When he puts in the players who give us the best chance of winning, regardless of what they think they deserve or have earned. When he is vulnerable with the team about his past and flaws, and encourages them to do the same with each other. He leads by example. Recruits and players are still kids and don't have the wisdom that you expect from adults, but they can smell bullshit. They know a fake. And they can see that Sark isn't fake. 

Those aren't qualities that a person loses when the going gets tough. They take a lifetime to cultivate and become a cornerstone of who you are, and they are the foundation you lean on when shit hits the fan. I'm ready to say that Sark is the guy - and not just because he's winning games. It's how the team is winning games and how Sark is leading the team. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Define sustained. Because as much as we talk about money, only Mack Brown (in the money era) has done it. 

There were threads and posts here quite a while back that pretty much called year three as the year that shows whether a guy has it or doesn't. 

It's year 3. Coach has shown he can win. Pay him like a winner... If he does it again pay him like a sustained winner. 

All of this.

Pay him #1 salary in exchange for a more friendly buyout.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

All these "I'm happy to be wrong post" should really be "damn guys I really don't know shit about fuck and going forward I'll keep my dumbass ignorant opinions to myself, which would serve this board better".

Change thread title to this. 
Sark: “I made surly bitches eat crow”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm really confused why everyone thinks giving him a big raise is going full aggy/Jimbo.

Jimbo got a huge contract and his trajectory was:

9 wins -> 8 wins -> 9 wins (COVID year) -> 8 wins -> 5 wins -> 6 wins before being fired

Sark started a low salary and his trajectory has been:

5 wins -> 8 wins -> 12 wins + Big 12 title + CFP berth

He deserves a big fucking raise and all the contract incentive bonuses he should have in there for winning the conference and making the CFP. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

Top 5 money is fine, just make it 5 years and a 1 year buyout if he starts to suck. Absence from top 10 finishes, playoff appearances, first round bye, semi and finals appearances. Define that shit. Once he wins 2 titles he can have a full 5 year guaranteed no question. Other than that nah bro. Obviously if the market forces it whateves. But we’ve actually seen Texas refuse to be the market leader here which is smart.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

All these "I'm happy to be wrong post" should really be "damn guys I really don't know shit about fuck and going forward I'll keep my dumbass ignorant opinions to myself, which would serve this board better".

I appreciate that some of them are willing to come back and eat croww.

But whichever fuckstick it was that continually brought up Sark being drunk should get the fucking banhammer.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mannewers said:

Along the way, all he has been doing is preaching a vision to recruits. One that is coming to fruition starting now.

The staff has damn near been Nostradamus playing the patience game with recruits believing teams were not what many expected them to be.

Sark seems to do very well at identifying the right guys for the coaching staff. At this point, there is no reason that staff budget should not go up. There is no reason we should not have one of the highest staff budgets in the country.

Sark definitely seems to be perfecting his craft as he goes and learning from his shortcomings.

I'm not naive to believe it is going to be smooth sailing yet, especially with the move to the SEC.

I was coming around to Sark last year, I was bullish on 10+ wins this season. I am bullish on Sark, he truly seems to have fixed our culture problem.

LFG!!

I'm also super impressed with Sark and his staff's ability to identify talent. They just know how to go and get football players. NIL helps and we've started swinging the big recruits in our direction. But damn, having multiple freshman contributing to this run is fucking sweet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, troph said:

like I said, fuck it. $15M for 10 years, guarantee that some bitch.

Sark most certainly deserves to be in the $7-9 million a year range per year right now. I’d imagine the incentives are awesome for winning big 12, making the CFP, possibly a championship win…he’s hitting his benchmarks.

Elko makes $7 million plus some hefty incentives. This rematch v Washington will make the aggy tears flow. They are watching the HC they took a swing at in DeBoer (who stiff armed them) and Sark in his 3rd year who has already won a “natty” in the SEC with Bama. Free flowing tears. 😭 

Jimbo really screwed them. They made it really easy for him to do so. We are too wary of that eventuality to ever wind up in their situation. Sark is too good of a guy to just take our money and screw around like Jimbo did. We just won’t allow that. For as bad as our BMDs meddle…one thing they won’t tolerate is someone screwing around like Jimbo did with their money. 

IMG_8202.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

With the culture he's building, with the staff that he hires, with how they identify talent and recruit, with the way they develop talent (this is fucking key), with how he schemes and develops QBs, with the natural advantages of The University of Texas, with the city of Austin, etc.,  I don't see how Sark doesn't keep this train rolling. He's proven that he can learn from mistakes. He'll continue to hire the best coaches avail as we lose coaches to promotions. They'll continue to develop talent and win which will result in more recruits wanting to come here. He has everything he needs to be Bama v2.0

Edited by crash_davis

I bet he ends up around $10m/yr for 7 yrs, half guaranteed or something. AD’s can all point to the Jimbo debacle as to why they can’t fully guarantee.

Sark is a Saban apostle. He saw that if you stick with a blue blood, deliver results, and build the program around you, you can name your own price over time. Plus I think he wants to go down as one of the best ever, and you do that by having a mutually loyal and devoted relationship with the school and AD. CDC isn’t going anywhere. These two are effectively married, just reworking the prenup. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What are his current bonuses?  I thought I saw he got 100K for making it to the B12 Championship game, missed 50K for not getting B12 coach of the year. How much for the B12 game win and how much for making the CFP? How much for the other milestones like winning the CFP?

I've seen and heard some rumblings that we could lose Sark.  Unless he has aspirations to be a head coach in the NFL, where is he going to go?  UT is the mountaintop once the train is rolling.  Fertile recruiting base that he can absolutely dominate, the overall reputation of the school, the city, not to mention what I can only imagine is a certain amount of gratitude.  'bama is a great program, and Saban will retire soon enough, but that's pretty much a lateral move given the conference shakeup next year.  Where else?  Where is a clear step up?  I don't see it.

This is not to say he shouldn't be paid commensurate with his performance.  I said before, I don't care how much we pay the coach.  I pay tuition for two kids at UT but those bills aren't going up because of football salaries.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m of the opinion he earned a payday. He’s vastly underpaid now, and he has excelled. don’t have to go aggy on  contract, but he should be able to swing his nuts around in a room of peers

this is a job with a lot of perks, but also a lot of pressure. If it were easy, someone would have done it since 2009. The promise of “future” money isn’t going to keep anyone content

Edited by The Dude
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I’m of the opinion he earned a payday. He’s vastly underpaid now, and he has excelled. don’t have to go aggy on  contract, but he should be able to swing his nuts around in a room of peers

this is a job with a lot of perks, but also a lot of pressure. If it were easy, someone would have done it since 2009. The promise of “future” money isn’t going to keep anyone content

he should be making 7-8M annually right now, it is just the years and guarantee to be cognizant of.  Kiffen makes 9m.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Unless he has aspirations to be a head coach in the NFL,

Does anyone know if Sark has ambitions to go back to the NFL?  I know Sark often references Saban, but I think he aligns closer to Pete Carroll.  I don't know if he shares Pete's drive to coach in the NFL or not, but that seems like a potential risk in a few years if he has interest.  I can't see him going to another college program unless Texas screws things up in a big way (ie bring back patterson, etc.).   

I say pay the man ~$9m plus some good incentives, but no long term guarantees.  This year has been great on all levels, but it's a down year for the conference and obviously a small sample size.  A couple more years of double digit wins and I'll be convinced.  I feel like we're still in the first quarter and up 21 points.  Feels really good, but no guarantee we're winning the long game yet.  We've definitely had some things fall our way this year and we could have easily missed the CCG and playoffs based on a couple plays, but winners make their own luck in my opinion (at least in the long term).  

Edited by blutow

Any extension given this season will be 4 years it’s that simple. I posted top 15 salaries earlier. He needs to make more than Kiffin full stop. 9.25-9.75 seems ideal with bonuses for performance that can get him to 10.5-11.5 million.

Sark so far has been our best coach outside of Mack since Akers. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I bet he ends up around $10m/yr for 7 yrs, half guaranteed or something. AD’s can all point to the Jimbo debacle as to why they can’t fully guarantee.

Sark is a Saban apostle. He saw that if you stick with a blue blood, deliver results, and build the program around you, you can name your own price over time. Plus I think he wants to go down as one of the best ever, and you do that by having a mutually loyal and devoted relationship with the school and AD. CDC isn’t going anywhere. These two are effectively married, just reworking the prenup. 

If you get Texas Football running on all cylinders, there is nowhere further up to go.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/2/2023 at 7:14 PM, Thatguy said:

I quoted these because the guy who made this post has seemingly disappeared this season, but this goes fr ALL you bitch-ass motherfuckers who didn't believe. All you motherfuckers who participated in this thread the last couple years can get the fuck in the fan fucking portal. You don't deserve to be fans of The University of Texas. Try aggy out. Seven fucking win Steve is now 12 fucking win Steve. Our supposedly trash ass QB just dragged his nuts all over Mike Gundy's face to the tune of over 400 yards and 4 TDs.

It's always the same people in the here or the game thread bitching about every little thing, incapable of seeing the progress. Don't jump on the bandwagon now! It's full.

I quoted myself because Seven Win Steve who was recently dubbed 12 fucking win Steve has now graduated to Playoff Steve. Pay this fucking man!

• Like 1