Texas BBQ

Washpark

Went to Barbs-B-Q this morning and was quite impressed.   Forgot to take a photo of the food and most of what I got was packed to-go.  Got there about 10 til 10:00 and was ninth in line.  Line was sold the corner by 10:20.  The building provides ample shade.

20240518_104952.thumb.jpg.13adf456815135afd35b4d18c4ba83b4.jpg

Moist brisket was perfect and they use more elaborate seasoning that simple salt and pepper.  The bark on the fat cap was really flavorful.   Molotov pork ribs were outstanding - some of the best I've ever had.   Lamb chops were seasoned well and cooked a perfect medium rare.

Chuck was on the cutting block and is extremely nice.   By far the best barbecue joint in in Lockhart.

20240518_110134.thumb.jpg.6858f8172f482a1f1a605f2dc336a1e4.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 7:38 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Their boudin is very legitimate. For $8 it’s like rounding up for hunger at most modern bbq joints.

I will have to dock you for the Lone Star Light. Their bartender is a trip. 

Mike is a great guy.  He started carrying Lone Star Light years ago because I asked him to during my drinking days.  Now it's probably the top seller on Thursday $2 beer day. 

Goode Company restaurants are really good outside of their BBQ restaurants.  Their BBQ is disgusting.

On 5/27/2024 at 5:06 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Hard not to root for the Goldees guys  

I miss the days when you could show up at 10:45 and be fourth in line for the 11am opening.  Same thing that happened when Aaron Franklin was named #1.  But still love the quality and experience at both of these places enough to frequent them.

Two BBQ Reports from recent travels

The Pit Room - Houston Richmond location

Wagyu Beef Rib was out-fucking-standing.  It outclassed everything else on the plate. 

Brisket was not good, jalapeno-cheddar sausage felt like it needed more time on the smoker and the

Pork ribs were better than the brisket and sausage, but it was a different cut than most places so less juicy rib meat.

Would definitely eat that Beef Rib again, but I'd pass on everything else.  Very disappointed.

Stiles Switch - Austin

Fatty Brisket - good bark, very juicy, could easily pull it apart and was pretty damn good.  

Jalapeno Cheddar sausage - good snap on the sausage, but overall I'd say it was average

Turkey - pretty juicy for a turkey breast, not too much rub so not whole lot of flavor

Pork Ribs - outstanding, only ribs I've had better were Barb's and Pinkerton's (most favorite pork rib)

Beans were terrible; mac-n-cheese was better than average

Wanted to try Interstellar this time, but Stiles Switch was much closer. 

Planning another trip to Barb's in two weeks, hope to be in line early enough to try the lamb chops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Noticed today that Louis Mueller has added a dinner service.  Open until 7:30 Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  

Not the type of establishment that is going to go under by adding a dinner service, but I'm always concerned about how a barbecue joint repurposes the end-of-day leftovers.  I have no problem with a chopped beef sandwich made with yesterday's brisket, but don't serve me day old sliced brisket, pork ribs, etc.  

20 hours ago, Pablo said:

Two BBQ Reports from recent travels

The Pit Room - Houston Richmond location

Wagyu Beef Rib was out-fucking-standing.  It outclassed everything else on the plate. 

Brisket was not good, jalapeno-cheddar sausage felt like it needed more time on the smoker and the

Pork ribs were better than the brisket and sausage, but it was a different cut than most places so less juicy rib meat.

Would definitely eat that Beef Rib again, but I'd pass on everything else.  Very disappointed.

Stiles Switch - Austin

Fatty Brisket - good bark, very juicy, could easily pull it apart and was pretty damn good.  

Jalapeno Cheddar sausage - good snap on the sausage, but overall I'd say it was average

Turkey - pretty juicy for a turkey breast, not too much rub so not whole lot of flavor

Pork Ribs - outstanding, only ribs I've had better were Barb's and Pinkerton's (most favorite pork rib)

Beans were terrible; mac-n-cheese was better than average

Wanted to try Interstellar this time, but Stiles Switch was much closer. 

Planning another trip to Barb's in two weeks, hope to be in line early enough to try the lamb chops.

pit room’s beef rib and chicken tacos are top notch. Great sides 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Noticed today that Louis Mueller has added a dinner service.  Open until 7:30 Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  

Not the type of establishment that is going to go under by adding a dinner service, but I'm always concerned about how a barbecue joint repurposes the end-of-day leftovers.  I have no problem with a chopped beef sandwich made with yesterday's brisket, but don't serve me day old sliced brisket, pork ribs, etc.  

new pit room dinner service is non bbq items. Smart move, family grub menu. Bring the kids 

• Hook 'Em 2

went to Sunbird last weekend

image.thumb.png.77206a83e7229627d7be9d2a9ab148ed.png

brisket taco on the left, 903 green sauce above it, mel man (IYKYK) and their special of the day - the tex mex boudin ball

also got a lb of fatty to go and their street corn with brisket. both of which were amazing as leftovers

genuinely happy to see Bryan and co doing so extremely well there. it's absolutely the best BBQ in (actual) East Texas. couldn't be happier for them after the last 2 years the have had.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:47 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

1701 and Redbird, but those are 20-30 min away

Went to Redbird because 1701 closes at 2. They were out of almost everything, but a decent chopped brisket sandwich. Terrific turkey. 

The staff was very kind. We told we were in town to pick up puppies, and they gave us about a pound of brisket trimmings.

• Hook 'Em 1