Texas BBQ

Washpark

51 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Perfection with a cold Lone Star.

The one that isnt made in Texas and is owned by a european corporation?

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord, I just saw this abortion on a food channel.  Vitek's "Gut Pak".  Frito's, cheese, sausage, brisket drowning in what looks to be horrible sauce, pinto beans.  Fucking Waco:

image.png.d1dacc209cafaff2fa297358923329ac.png

Had this last year. Its fantastic. Its also a cult classic

• Like 2

Shut your whore mouth.  That’s what a t- man is.

This. Hell, I remember the day I introduced the boy to a Turbo T-man. He lit up like he’d seen his first pair of tits.
I still make a homemade T-man with leftover brisket and sausage from time to time. It’s its own thing.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

Took my mom and brother to Reese Bros for Mother’s Day lunch. They still are slaying it. God bless Texas.

I need to hit this place up. I made an honest effort one Sunday at like 3 with my fam but they were already closing up when I got there. Gonna try again at a better day and time ASAP 

We got a bunch of Rudy's for a family dinner last night. Honestly, it was pretty good.  Turkey was phenomenal (finominile), sausage was very good, moist brisket was great, lean brisket was "eh", spicy chop made a good "I have no idea what I'm eating" sammich. 

I've had a LOT worse Q in central Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Eater has a great video about Barbs. It’s worth a watch. I want to go there … 

Ate at Barb's this past Saturday.  I ordered the Texas Trinity and got asked my preference of Brisket and Ribs by Chuck who was doing the cutting. 

I chose fatty brisket and juiciest part of ribs.  Both were excellent, brisket may have been a little over salted. Ribs got a little lime zest on top as they were getting plated.

I also got a slice of turkey from the guys in line just ahead of me and that was amazingly juicy and tender.

Green Spagett was fuckin' fantastic, even better when I heated up the leftovers!  Also loved their take on charro beans.  

Beef Ribs and Lamb Chopis were sold out by the time I got up to order, will have to get those next trip. 

FYI, I got in line about 5 minutes before it opened and waited about an hour.

9/10 would eat again!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I stumbled onto the 1997 TM Top 50 BBQ Joints article this morning.  

The Big Three:  Kreuz Market (still at the Smitty's location), Louis Mueller's Barbecue, and Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Q

Austin:  Sam's Bar-B-Que and Stubb's

Dallas:  Baker's Ribs and Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse

Houston:  Goode Co. Texas BBQ and Pizzitola's Bar-B-Cue

I still hit Kreuz and Louis Mueller about once a year, but that's about it.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, if Goode Co was your best BBQ, your BBQ sucked.

The renaissance is real.

It was a sad state of affairs back in the day, but Goode Co. was better than anything else in town.  I grew up on the west side of town and we would occasionally make it out to Dozier;s in Fulshear, but Goode Co was a few notches above the normal spots like Demeris or fucking Luther's 

Glad times have changed for all cities.  That Austin list is sad too.

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The Big Three:  Kreuz Market (still at the Smitty's location), Louis Mueller's Barbecue, and Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Q

Ive been to all of those. LM is the only one I would still go to if I were in the area

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Lmao @ gut pak being described as bbq.

I went to Truth in the heights today and it was awful. Everything was overseasoned, and the brisket flat was tough and dry.

Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

Ate there two weekends ago on Saturday. Overall the trinity was good but I left underwhelmed.  Brisket was overcooked and sides were kinda bland. Mac & cheese and Tot casserole.   

I had eaten at Brenham location before Heights opened and it was incredible.  

On 5/14/2024 at 8:13 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Pizzitola’s continues to waste money by selling anything other than ribs.  I’m pretty sure the family owns the land and the building. It’s  only explanation I can come up with for why it’s still open. 

Recently tried Leroy & Lewis for the first time and had a great meal. The sausage was great as well as the kale Caesar slaw and the frito pie sides. However I was a bit disappointed in the brisket. The flavor was great, but I thought it was a bit chewy. Not bad by any means, but I thought the brisket didn’t live up to the hype. 

I’ve been to Burnt Bean many times and their brisket absolutely curb stomps L&L brisket. 

10 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I went to Truth in the heights today and it was awful. Everything was overseasoned, and the brisket flat was tough and dry.

Damn thats too bad. We ordered Truth for mothers day and everything was fantastic.

27 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Can confirm: Louis Mueller's still kicks ass.  Was barely able to waddle out.

Agreed.  Made the drive last week.  Brisket, jalapeno link, potato salad... all great.  No line at 11am on a Thursday.  I should go more often.

Tried Brown's for the first time this week... a bit underwhelming.

13 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Why didn't you send it back?  They would not be offended in the least.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:29 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord, I just saw this abortion on a food channel.  Vitek's "Gut Pak".  Frito's, cheese, sausage, brisket drowning in what looks to be horrible sauce, pinto beans.  Fucking Waco:

image.png.d1dacc209cafaff2fa297358923329ac.png

it will fill you up pretty solid but it is not the gourmet fufu that all the food critics love these days

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Slammed and went hard in the paint. Simply delicious 

pinkerton's 

IMG_0284.jpeg

Their boudin is very legitimate. For $8 it’s like rounding up for hunger at most modern bbq joints.

I will have to dock you for the Lone Star Light. Their bartender is a trip. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I will have to dock you for the Lone Star Light. Their bartender is a trip. 

???  Lone Star Light is far and away the best lower-alcohol macrobrew out there.  Sometimes people DON'T want to get ripped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1