Texas BBQ

Washpark

4 hours ago, NoName said:

i just did a 2 min google maps on it from the generic "waco" which is somewhere on 35 to those dudes location.

don’t give a fuck, i live here and make that drive many times over the course of a month.  Thats fine if it keeps you away.  more for me.  

Edited by Kyrie Eleison
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

don’t give a fuck, i live here and make that drive many times over the course of a month.  Thats fine if it keeps you away.  more for me.  

i'm glad you can drive it faster, i was just pointing out that this shit isn't in waco no matter how you measure it.

it's in fucking mart.

mart != waco

it's like 18 miles east of the baylor stadium

like i said, next time im close i will go but don't call it fucking waco when it's not fucking waco.

image.png.d20b2d5037bd2a060b3a16e947e0511d.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2024 at 10:57 AM, stc said:

if i'm in waco it's because i'm passing through on I-35. 25 minutes out of the way is not ideal...maybe not a BIG deal, but probably would prevent most people from stopping. 

Do yall know where Helberg is in Waco?  it's not exactly in town. 

How much are the sides? If they aren't $18 a quart, it probably isn't any good. 

The GDP of mart was $18 before this place opened.

You hit this place early in the morning and then it’s only 30 minutes to Mexia to hit wrights bbq for a chip beef sammy or jims krispy for fried chicken that did actually exist before Anna nicole worked there.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pacmanmakesitrain said:

Redbird BBQ in Port Neches. Top 3 tray of all time for me. Everything was ridiculously good.

IMG_1565.jpeg

That brisket has a nice smoke ring and everything else looks delicious too.

Tried Victorian's Barbecue in Mart today. Nineteen minutes from I-35.

Half pound moist brisket, half rack pork ribs, one sausage link, mac & cheese, and creole corn. Very disappointing. Brisket was extremely dry, and these were the first slices off of the brisket, which was unwrapped in front of us. Ribs were bland and overcooked. Sausage was overcooked.

Talked to some locals that professed it to be the best barbecue in Mart. I would not eat there if it were right across the street from my house.

1282cd4a0d69d8eb6bc2cc6137e1e47a.jpg497cf8b425c0f14a59a36eb8a2041177.jpg

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Always love it when one poster swears by it and another poster reports back that it sucks.  

Who the poster is depends.

If it's jerry I fully trust his take. Dude eats a good bit of bbq and included a photo

If it's some of the other idiots here, I couldn't care less about their opinion lol

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Always love it when one poster swears by it and another poster reports back that it sucks.  

And both can be right.  Someone discussed the quality 7 years ago before there was a brick and mortar.  The Instagram pictures looked awesome.  What I was served was not close.  I hope the next guy that tries it has a great experience.

I can't imagine how difficult it is to run a barbecue joint in a small town.  Especially with a brick and mortar. 

Say what you want about the late John Mueller, but I think there is a universal agreement that he knew how to cook barbecue.  With that being said, I stopped by his short-lived Granger barbecue joint once.  The barbecue he served was as bad if not worse than what I got in Mart yesterday.  Everyone has a bad day or a bad cook.  Unfortunately, small joints cannot afford to trash or repurpose less than great brisket.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 5

Photos absolutely help tell the story. Look at that Redbird photo then look at that Victorian photo having said that like the poster said everyone can have a bad day and newly opened business honestly should get a few months to get their feet under them before we pick them apart.  Lot of learning curve when you throw the doors open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny I read that first post about it being in Mart not Waco as it being disrespectful to Mart to call it Waco, because nobody wants to be associated with Waco.

Also is that flamin’ hot Cheetos crumbled on top of that bland looking Mac and cheese? Shit like that is usually an indication the food will be mediocre. 

11 minutes ago, Covri said:

Funny I read that first post about it being in Mart not Waco as it being disrespectful to Mart to call it Waco, because nobody wants to be associated with Waco.

Naw. It's like saying Leander is Austin. It's a personal pet peeve.

On 1/28/2024 at 10:25 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I can't imagine how difficult it is to run a barbecue joint in a small town.  Especially with a brick and mortar. 

You mean brick and mortar as opposed to say a food truck?  What about brick and mortar makes to operate a bbq business?

A second restaurant is now accusing a Fort Worth cafe of stealing its equipment, a week after a popular barbecue joint said DayBreak Cafe was in on the theft of a $30,000 smoker trailer from its parking lot. 

Paul Checkeye, the owner of Grease Monkey Burger, said thieves in a distinctive white van made off with a 19-foot food truck trailer in mid-December. He said surveillance video makes him think it's the same white van that stole from Panther City BBQ on New Year's Day

"It’s the same guys. We got 'em! This is the big lead," Checkeye said.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/the-same-guys-second-restaurant-accuses-fort-worth-cafe-of-stealing-equipment-pit-trailer/287-fa58917d-dc45-4c3a-8092-97a30777c10b

I'm not saying they did or they didn't, but Chicken Fried Steak, two eggs, toast, and hash browns for $4.89???

240602971_249702570490285_88934779249313

How are they selling food this cheaply? 

hmmmmmm-very-interesting.gif

Edited by dcbc

10 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

You mean brick and mortar as opposed to say a food truck?  What about brick and mortar makes to operate a bbq business?

@Etexhorn13 hit the first major difference with what is likely a substantial increase in overhead.  Margins shrink with increased overhead making even more important to sell everything.  What happens if you smoke a brisket for Thursday and it doesn't sell?  Sell it as sliced brisket on Friday, repurpose it into chopped beef or chili, or vacuum seal it and sell it whole for takeout.  Small places, like the one in Mart (pop. 2500) are in a real bind because they likely don't have the ability to move many whole briskets.  Chili and chopped beef can't be sold for high price per pound as sliced brisket (the place in Mart didn't have either on the menu).  There are serious quality issues with briskets held for multiple days. 

Dozier's made the mistake a few years ago of selling older brisket to Daniel Vaughan and were called out on it.  To his credit, ChampKind admitted that they didn't cook on the day off and sold older brisket.  He also committed to start cooking on the day off.  Vaughan returned a couple days later and the food was much better.  TM Article

I don't know how much better it is to sell from a food truck, but I suspect it is better to build a customer base from a food truck first and then weigh opening a brick and mortar.  Victorian's Barbecue established a reputation in Houston in a food truck and then moved to the middle of BFE and opened a brick and mortar.  I wish them luck, but it's going to be tough.

On the way back from Mart on Saturday, we stopped at the Temple location of Pustka Family Barbecue.  They ran a food truck in Hutto for several years.  A couple years ago, they move to their new brick and mortar location in Temple.  When we pulled up at 2:00 there was no one in the parking lot.  Sign on the door of the building said indoor dining and order at the trailer.  Talked the the owner and his dad for a few minutes.  Because of City permits and such, they are unable to operate out of the building and everything is still being prepared and served from the trailer.  They made the mistake of trying to start a restaurant in a building that was not previously a restaurant.  They do a great smoked chicken, but unfortunately they didn't have any. I ordered a half pound of moist brisket and a couple ribs to take home.  Even reheated the food was pretty good.  The ribs were seasoned well and cooked perfectly. 

If I were inclined to start a barbecue business, catering seems like the best bet for success.  While waiting in line at Interstellar Barbecue, I chatted with the couple that owns Clutch BBQ in Houston.  They do catering and the occasional pop-up and seem fairly successful at it.  They discussed the possibility of opening a restaurant and I told them they were crazy.

Edited by Jerry Callo
Added a TM article detailing Dozier's story

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

@Etexhorn13 hit the first major difference with what is likely a substantial increase in overhead.  Margins shrink with increased overhead making even more important to sell everything.  What happens if you smoke a brisket for Thursday and it doesn't sell?  Sell it as sliced brisket on Friday, repurpose it into chopped beef or chili, or vacuum seal it and sell it whole for takeout.  Small places, like the one in Mart (pop. 2500) are in a real bind because they likely don't have the ability to move many whole briskets.  Chili and chopped beef can't be sold for high price per pound as sliced brisket (the place in Mart didn't have either on the menu).  There are serious quality issues with briskets held for multiple days. 

Dozier's made the mistake a few years ago of selling older brisket to Daniel Vaughan and were called out on it.  To his credit, ChampKind admitted that they didn't cook on the day off and sold older brisket.  He also committed to start cooking on the day off.  Vaughan returned a couple days later and the food was much better.  TM Article

I don't know how much better it is to sell from a food truck, but I suspect it is better to build a customer base from a food truck first and then weigh opening a brick and mortar.  Victorian's Barbecue established a reputation in Houston in a food truck and then moved to the middle of BFE and opened a brick and mortar.  I wish them luck, but it's going to be tough.

On the way back from Mart on Saturday, we stopped at the Temple location of Pustka Family Barbecue.  They ran a food truck in Hutto for several years.  A couple years ago, they move to their new brick and mortar location in Temple.  When we pulled up at 2:00 there was no one in the parking lot.  Sign on the door of the building said indoor dining and order at the trailer.  Talked the the owner and his dad for a few minutes.  Because of City permits and such, they are unable to operate out of the building and everything is still being prepared and served from the trailer.  They made the mistake of trying to start a restaurant in a building that was not previously a restaurant.  They do a great smoked chicken, but unfortunately they didn't have any. I ordered a half pound of moist brisket and a couple ribs to take home.  Even reheated the food was pretty good.  The ribs were seasoned well and cooked perfectly. 

If I were inclined to start a barbecue business, catering seems like the best bet for success.  While waiting in line at Interstellar Barbecue, I chatted with the couple that owns Clutch BBQ in Houston.  They do catering and the occasional pop-up and seem fairly successful at it.  They discussed the possibility of opening a restaurant and I told them they were crazy.

Catering is floating a LOT of bbq restaurants at the moment, including a bunch in the top 50

• Like 1

BBQ business bubble seems like it has reached it's max.  I know its super popular and every guy with a pit in his back yard think "what if" but honestly that is some hard ass work and hours.  Chances of opening a burger or chicken joint and being successful gotta be higher than the low margins on smoking a brisket these days.  

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 12:47 PM, C-Man said:

I think it was discussed further up the thread but Helberg in Waco that just had a fire serves a killer smoked chicken. Best I've ever had. I think they flash-fry it after it comes out of the pit to crisp it up really nice. It's terrific.

There must be some difference because Vaughn knows about Aaron's Beard win. Also, Rodney Scott won a James Beard Award shortly after Aaron.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

So, I was on Kirby, and in a hurry, and I stopped in at Goode & Co for some food.

Brisket cut with the grain, like it was carved by a housewife at a church social. Inedible.

Never again.

What decent places are downtown and inside 610?

Truth and Pit Room, even Henderson and Kane is solid too

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

So, I was on Kirby, and in a hurry, and I stopped in at Goode & Co for some food.

Brisket cut with the grain, like it was carved by a housewife at a church social. Inedible.

Never again.

What decent places are downtown and inside 610?

The brisket is not good at Goode Co.  if it’s your only option, make a meal out of the sausage, maybe the ribs, and load up on the dirty rice and jalapeño bread. I don’t recall eating a vegetable at Goode Co BBQ.  Different thread, but I like the Goode Co. cantina on the Katy Frwy near Campbell.  

On 1/29/2024 at 9:19 PM, Steel Shank said:

Panther City pit stolen, owner does investigating, comes up with some answers and some questions.

Looks like DayBreak Cafe may be involved.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/life/food/fort-worth-business-accuses-cafe-stealing-equipment/287-26f3c05f-2d24-4454-a467-8a36c6797e49

I thought Champkind moved out of state, hm?